• Published 17th May 2013
  • 11,118 Views, 785 Comments

Brushed Away - TheVClaw



For Troy the Gryphon, life in Equestria wasn't exactly as fulfilling as he imagined on his own. However, after volunteering to help out with a storm prepping project, he discovers a pony who helps to change everything.

  • ...
33
 785
 11,118

PreviousChapters
Chapter Fifty-Four (Epilogue): Carpe Diem

The sun began to rise over Canterlot once more, and everything was completely still within Canvas and Troy's room. Along with being invited to the gala, Canvas was also lucky enough to get a room for the night in Canterlot Castle. Canvas only felt pure bliss as he rested in the lusciously soft bed, his face brushing against Troy's warm chest. He wrapped his hooves around Troy's body tighter and listened to his sleeping heartbeat. His eyes slowly opened when he felt what was still on his left hoof.

Canvas moved his hoof back so he could see it, and smiled at the golden band resting there, shining brightly against the morning light. Then, his gaze slowly went back up to the gryphon sleeping beside him, his smile growing bigger. He should've known something was up, what with how odd Troy had been acting the past few weeks. But he didn’t care one bit anymore.

Canvas thought that everything that happened could've just been some amazing dream; that at any moment he would wake up back in that field, covered in the bruises his father gave him. Thankfully, Troy's breath gently brushing against his fur was proof enough that nothing could ever be as real as this.

He gently placed his lips against Troy's beak, and thought of everything he gained: a great life, amazing friends, a loving home, a talent that brought upon a legacy…

… And now, someone to call his husband.

Canvas smiled at that word, even amidst his kiss. He never would've expected Troy to propose this soon, but he did it at the very best moment. He still remembered how the aurora shined above them, and in Troy's golden eyes. How could he ever say no? It all felt so wonderful, and it still did even now.

Troy opened his tired eyes, and his heart melted as he looked into the eyes of his stallion. He remembered how hard his heart was beating when he finally found the courage to propose. Now he couldn't have felt happier with his new fiancé. Being with Canvas was the best decision he could've ever made.

They continued to hold onto each other atop the silk lavender sheets. They didn’t speak a word, their faint breathing and heartbeats the only sounds audible. The morning sun was now shining brightly, and neither of them could see any sign of doubt or regret in each other's eyes. Everything was just perfect between them.

The two bent in and kissed each other once more. After a long moment of silence, Troy finally spoke.

"Good morning, beautiful."

Canvas giggled. Troy nuzzled him.

"So… Can you now say that last night was the best night of your life?"

Canvas blushed, almost glowing against the morning light.

"Absolutely."

Canvas gave a quick smooch before resting his head against Troy's chest, nuzzling it. Before the two could fall asleep again, Troy sighed as he noticed how bright it was getting already; he knew they had to take the train back to Ponyville today. He groaned as he held Canvas closer, closing his eyes.

"So, Canvas… what time is our train supposed to be at the station?"

"Ummm…” Canvas kept his eyes closed as he thought it over. "I think it's supposed to be at ten."

"Okay.”

Troy opened his eyes ever so briefly to look at the clock on the wall.

"Wait,” said Canvas. "What time is it now?"

"A quarter past nine.”

"Oh.”

For exactly three seconds, the two rested together peacefully.

"...OH BUCK!"


The newly engaged couple frantically ran down the castle halls, hoping they could make their way out of the palace and to the station in time.

"Why didn't you set the alarm clock, Troy!?” shouted Canvas, his art bag flopping at his side as he galloped.

"It wasn't my fault!" shouted Troy. "The alarm clock broke!"

"What? When did it break?"

"This morning, I think.” Troy managed to give a sheepish smile amidst his high-speed run. "I might’ve broken it when it went off while still half-asleep. Sorry."

Canvas groaned. "I swear, if I wasn't still happy about marrying you, I’d be so much madder at you right now!"

"Good to know.”

The castle’s main entrance was in sight. They only had thirty minutes left to get to the station. Just then, however, the all-too familiar voice of Princess Celestia called out from behind them.

"Oh, good morning, Canvas!"

Both of them skidded to a halt. They instinctively turned around to make a quick bow. Canvas then tried to make himself look noble as he looked up at her, just in case their running was against some kind of protocol. Luckily, Celestia didn’t look upset at all.

"And good morning to you, Troy."

Troy nodded and stood back up, trying not to look too anxious. Celestia didn’t seem to notice their restlessness.

"Canvas, I heard from my sister that she received your gift. Luna wanted me to tell you that she greatly appreciates your painting."

Canvas smiled at the praise. Troy, having not considered Canvas’ side project to be for Luna despite being told of her aid, looked at him in surprise.

"A painting, huh? So that's what you've been so busy with!"

Canvas blushed and smiled meekly. "Ummm… yeah. I thought it would be a nice way to show my… appreciation."

"Well, I think it worked,” Celestia said cheerfully. "I heard that she had it placed in her bedroom."

Canvas almost buckled under his hooves before Troy held him upright.

"W-wow! I… I don’t know what to say!"

"I'll tell her that you're happy to hear about it. You did a wonderful job, Canvas. Congratulations."

As Canvas smiled, Celestia's gaze found the golden band on his hoof. She gave a warm smile in recognition.

"And congratulations to the both of you as well."

Canvas blushed at her approval. Troy looked away in slight embarrassment, hoping that Celestia didn’t know where he’d decided to make his proposal. At least she seemed happy for them.

"I'll see to it that Twilight helps with your arrangements."

Canvas and Troy looked at each other in slight disbelief.

"Wow,” said Troy, holding his fiancé closer. "Th-thank you! I…”

Before Troy could finish, he noticed a large grandfather clock nearby. They had little time left to spare.

"Oh, umm…" Troy quickly secured the satchel on his shoulder, and then looked down at Canvas to see he still had everything on him. "I-I'm really sorry, but we gotta catch our train."

Canvas’ panic returned. Celestia looked over at the clock, and gave a light grin.

"Allow me to help you two."

Celestia lit her horn. Canvas and Troy only saw a bright flash of light before they were engulfed in it. Troy felt the familiar weightlessness, and immediately realized what was happening. He held onto Canvas and closed his eyes before he felt his weight come back.

He remembered almost feeling like he was dropping the last time he was teleported, but Troy didn’t feel any drop this time around. In fact, he felt like he arrived at their destination rather gracefully. Troy smiled when he saw that Celestia had brought them to the Canterlot Train Station.

"Here you go,” Celestia said, kindly. "I better get back before the guards start to worry. Once again, congratulations, and have a great day."

Troy and Canvas nodded with a smile, and Celestia disappeared in a flash just as quickly as she arrived. The crowd around them stood speechless, trying to comprehend what they had just witnessed. They kept their distance while Canvas leaned in close to his gryphon, resting his head against his side.

"So… how long were you planning to propose to me?"

Troy chuckled. He looked away, slightly embarrassed.

"Actually, I decided to do it after you... went to talk with him, and you told me why you did it."

Canvas' eyebrows rose; he knew right away what Troy was talking about.

"You told me that it's better to live our lives for what we want, and not for what we could've had. And you know what?"

Troy peered in closer to look right into Canvas’ gorgeous blue eyes.

"When I was holding you later that day, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to be with you, Canvas. I wanted to spend my life with you by my side...

“And I wanted to have you as my husband."

Canvas practically melted at that last statement. He lunged forward and hugged Troy tightly. As Troy hugged him back, he felt Canvas' left hoof raise up. He was taking yet another look at the white gold wrapped around it.

"So… you managed to get this in two weeks?"

"Well… yeah.”

Canvas slowly stepped back. "But… How could you afford this? I mean…"

Canvas looked down at the ring again, sounding even more astonished with each passing word. "I mean, this had to have cost a fortune! Where did you get the money for this!?"

Troy just chuckled again, and ruffled his fiancé's mane. "Aw, come on, Canvas! I had a little bit saved up. I told you about the inheritance I got, right?"

Canvas' eyes widened in shock.

"You… you spent your inheritance money on this?"

"Well, I didn’t spend all of it on that ring. I still have a lot left over, which I figured we could use for our wedding."

Canvas still looked taken aback. Hoping to calm his nerves, Troy bent down and nuzzled him.

"Besides, I wanted to seize the moment. And buying that ring was the best thing I could've done with that money."

Canvas didn't even take a moment to swoon. He wrapped his hooves around the back of Troy's neck, and kissed him. Ponies around them either stared or looked away in embarrassment, the two kept at it, even when the train for Ponyville pulled into the station. It wasn't until the train doors opened that the couple finally let go and stepped into the train car.

Canvas barely moved once the two took their seats, and he laid his head against Troy's shoulder. Troy nuzzled Canvas lovingly while the train moved along through Equestria's countryside.

Yet again, Canvas lifted his left hoof and looked at the hoofband. He sighed as he marveled at the white gold, at what this meant for him and Troy.

"I just can’t believe it,” Canvas said in a faint whisper, catching Troy's attention. "I mean… I really don't know what to say right now. I didn't expect anything like this to happen to me. I didn't think my life would change so much when… when I left Gallop Creek.”

Troy's smile slowly dropped. He felt morose as he was reminded of how horrible things were before. But as Canvas continued to speak, his tone became more positive, and his smile never wavered.

"But now… it all feels so amazing."

Closing his eyes, Canvas hugged the gryphon tightly.

"I made history… I got my life back… I fell in love…”

Troy smiled, and he nuzzled the pony again before Canvas raised his head.

"And now… I'm going to be Canvas Clawston."

Troy's eyes widened.

"Wait... You want to take my name?"

"Well, yeah. I don't really have much of a last name, so why not?"

Troy shrugged.

"Plus, you were the one who proposed. You managed to give me so much, Troy. You helped me out when I needed someone, and you stood by my side ever since…”

Canvas wrapped his hooves around Troy, keeping his face only a few inches from Troy as he looked at him with the deepest of affection and care.

"I love you, Troy. You saved my life… you saved my soul… and…

“Nothing would make me happier, than to spend the rest of my life with you."

Troy held Canvas against him as they shared a tender kiss, feeling all his worries and thoughts slowly vanish. Whenever he was with Canvas, he felt like the pony was truly an artist inside and out. Much like all the pieces of artwork he made, Canvas did the same kind of painting for his own soul. Whenever he felt any doubts, any displeasure, any form of unhappiness in his life, this pony always cleared his mind. Whenever he held Canvas close, or kissed his lips, or looked into his perfect blue eyes, nothing else ever mattered to him.

It was like Canvas painted his conscience clean, keeping his mind clear of doubt or distraction as his love swept in like the smoothest paint, leaving only happiness behind.

Feeling almost intoxicated by Canvas' love, Troy could barely keep his eyes open until he felt Canvas' lips pull back. When he finally did, Troy saw his fiancé looking right back at him.

"So, Troy… What do you think? Does Canvas Clawston sound alright?"

"Canvas Clawston, huh?” Troy nodded, making the pony look much happier. “That… actually sounds pretty nice."

Troy's beak then skewed.

"Oh man. My parents are going to freak out so much!"

Canvas giggled, causing Troy to start chuckling as well. He knew those problems could wait. The stallion beside him made him too happy to care.

"Oh well. As long as I have you."

Canvas rested his head on Troy's shoulder, and closed his eyes. Before he could doze off, Canvas said one last thing in a meek whisper.

"As long… as I have you…"

Following Canvas’ example, Troy closed his own eyes and rested his head against his fiancé’s. He let that last statement roll through his mind, knowing it was absolutely correct. It didn’t matter what others may have thought, or how odd their love may have looked, or whatever may come for the two of them in the future.

As long as I have you, Canvas, thought Troy.

As long as I have you.

The End

Author's Note:

Just so any newer readers are aware, I've recently been undergoing a big project to turn the Brushed Away series into physical books for individual sale. Because of that, I just wanted to make a quick note for which chapters have been revised so far, including this one.

I want to give my deepest thanks, as well as some well-deserved credit to my followers helping me out with this process, as well as Double R. Forrest for their proofreading credits. And if anyone is interested in helping out with making this project a reality, I highly recommend checking out my Official Ko-Fi page dedicated to it.

Holy crap, I'm finally finished!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Alright, now that I got that out of my system, let me just say a few things to my readers.

To everyone who has been reading my story, and stayed with it through all this time, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. As someone who never tried writing like this before, it's been a rather daunting and restless experience, making sure this story went along alright. I've actually had this love story in my head for a LONG time, so to finally write it, let alone complete it, has been a great experience for me. And to look back, see what I've made, and read all the positive feedback regarding it, I don't know what else I could say but thank you. You guys are awesome! Also, if you liked this story, spread it around! Link it to friends, or to places that might appreciate it! It's always nice to pull in new readers.

Oh, and I want to give a massive thanks to Bad_Seed 72, who went out of her way to proofread all 54 chapters of this for me. She's super awesome, and definitely deserves to be appreciated! Also, her stories are great, so check them out.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 133 )

aaaaaaaa that ending was perfect. Yea.. this is by far the best story i've read on this site. Thank you so much for writing it, I enjoyed it immensely. ^_^ Looking forward to reading more from you!

3021275
Well, it's a good thing Troy isn't a pony. Besides, they have film reels, so why not cassette tapes?

It's always the underrated fics being the best and most memorable, the way these two communicated with characters within the universe and how they got together as a couple was so well done. I also like how you didn't need to put any clop in at all (well there was that one scene with the paint :twilightsmile:) either way I think this is my favorite romance within the fandom right now. Offers much more originality compared to others. Now...

i.imgur.com/4EsTWQQ.gif

:rainbowwild:

I've only read the first four chapters, but this story now officially has my interest. aside from some errors in punctuation and indentation, I think this fiction is in pretty good shape. I like the way you're establishing Troy's character and always providing enough to keep the audience interested. This is very intriguing, so I liked, favorites and will continue to read. :raritywink:


I only have two criticisms:

1) There is some mixing of past and present tense.
2) That the story isn't longer.

Seriously, aside from some light punctuation and grammar issues, which didn't actually bother me, this story was a joy to read. This is yet another one of those stories I had to dig around to find, and I am so very glad I found it. Though it may sound a bit greedy, I could have kept reading on and on, because I had become so invested in Troy and Canvas' lives, that I didn't want it to end. Still, it ended on a high note, and not only on a high note, but a lovely one as well. I freely admit that I cried a number of times throughout the story, as I read of poor Canvas' young life before he had been rescued by Troy.

On that same note, thank you for writing a story that involves a Gryphon. I don't see too many of those, and this one happens to be such a wonderful character, who is richly imbued with pathos, compassion, kindness, and a real personality. Canvas, too, is well fleshed out, and it was nice to see a sprinkling of our favorite ponies in the story without making them overbearing.

It is such a shame that this story isn't in the feature box. It deserves to be there. These are the stories that the feature box should be putting on display. You have written a wonderful work, and I look forward to your future projects.

Oh, and as an aside; as a pansexual, I thank you for showing love as what it truly is: open, honest, ever enduring, faithful, binding, and untouched by mere gender or convention. For that you have my most heartfelt thanks. :heart:

~Lotus

Well, this has been to my satisfaction. Added.

Congrats on getting your story featured on the LGBT group. :twilightsmile:

But.... it can't be over....

honestly I've never enjoyed reading a story for 8-10 hours and be wanting more!

Alright, now i finally have the time to leave a proper review.

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/257/a/9/rainbow_dash_is_awesome__by_danbackslide7-d49uarn.gif

The fact that this has not gotten more likes, views, and favs is absolutely criminal.

I'm gonna rant about the wonderful stuff in here:

You took your time developing your characters in both a realistic and engaging way. Many writers fall into the trap of making the protagonist(s) (especially OC protagonists) Mary Sues. No such thing in here. Canvas is both sympathetic and interesting, and yet, he still has flaws and makes mistakes. Same with Troy. The guy has a heart of gold, but he's a little thick at times, and, like Canvas, isn't invincible.

The relationship between the two of them developed naturally and over time--over the course of... five months, I believe? Six? Either way, it developed realistically, and seeing that realistic growth--the sweet moments, the awkward moments, the readers and the ponies figuring it out before Canvas and Troy actually did--worked brilliantly. Taking your time with the characters and their romance made their union ever much the sweeter because of it. You also did a fabulous job of describing their emotions, both internal and external, when they began to realize their feelings.

The Mane Six, Lyra, and Bon-Bon are very much themselves in this fic. Now, for Lyra and Bon-Bon, they don't have so much a canon personality as a fanon one. Even so, you wrote them very well, along with Twilight, Dash, Rarity, Pinkie, etc. Even minor characters like Hoity Toity, Filthy Rich, Princess Celestia, etc. were in character. Never once was I jarred by any of their interactions with Troy or Canvas. Rainbow Dash especially was very, very much herself... :rainbowlaugh: :rainbowdetermined2: While she isn't my favorite character, it was still good to see someone get her right.

The conflicts in this story are believable and handled well. The ultimate conflict of Canvas and his father is not so much resolved as it is finished, if that makes sense. But! That is exactly what that kind of thing called for. Many writers would have either ended Copper's interactions with Canvas at him being beaten up and thrown out of town, or had Canvas do a complete one-eighty and forgive completely, inviting him back into his life, but you did something different--and that something different was the most realistic way these things end... unfortunately, I know that from experience. Still, it was great to see it here.

Plot and theme-wise, I have no problems with this fic. It kept me up late three nights in a row and stole all of my breaks at work and other free time, begging to be read. Seriously, dude, you didn't write a story; you made a work of art.

My only qualms with this story:

The formatting is consistently a little screwy. Inconsistent indents, missed or extra lines/line breaks, etc. This is easy to fix.

Consistent punctuation errors. This is mostly with dialogue punctuation (periods instead of commas, both periods and commas, missing/extra quotation marks, etc.) and ellipses (...). Only three dots does an ellipse make... the extra periods are....... incorrect. This is also easy to fix.

Some errors with capitalization. This is mostly in dialogue or sentences that begin with an ellipse. "... Even if I pause before speaking," Bad Seed said, "the first letter of my first word is to be capitalized."

... Even if that does look strange.

A few run-on sentences I spotted as well. Sometimes you want to be lengthy, especially if it fits the mood of the scene, but sometimes it's better to split things up into several sentences. I can provide examples if you like.

My final qualm with this story, and it is not your fault at all, is that it does NOT have the attention it deserves. Seriously... it kind of pisses me off! I read a LOT on this site, as well as write a lot. I have read stories far inferior to yours that have skyrocketed to the top of the Feature box. It is simply criminal! :raritydespair: I suspect it is due to the M/M ship, which boils my blood... you see, this fandom LOVES lesbian shipping, but looks down on M/M. The hypocrisy astounds and sickens me. :pinkiesick: Ah, well... that's just another homophobic hurdle society has yet to jump. :facehoof:

But you know what? I want to help get this story more attention. I think you are an amazing author, and you deserve more feedback. As such, I will be featuring this story tonight in a blogpost of under-appreciated stories. I also will be adding this to a few groups, and featuring it permanently on my userpage as a recommendation.

Additionally, if you like, I can edit these chapters for you, so you can re-release them with improved formatting and punctuation. I edit and write very quickly, so it would be no problem at all. You can check out some of the things I've edited or written on my page if you need a little confidence in me... after all, I am just a random user on the site, no? :pinkiehappy: :rainbowlaugh:

I happened to find this story in the M/M shipping group while I was looking for another story... seemed interesting, so I faved it...

I'm so glad I did that.

This is truly one of the best stories I've read on this site. I know, without a doubt, I'll read it again.

I wish I could say more, but I hope this sums it up:

Thank you.

Edit: I'm actually moving my "under-appreciated stories" blogposts to a story directory, so the link that was here doesn't work anymore. Sorry! :twilightblush:

Oh my god.
That was amazing. Thank you so much for writing this.

:rainbowderp:...
...
G...
Gl...
(Sharp inhale)
:heart::heart:GLOOOOOORIOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS! :pinkiehappy::heart::heart:

(Violent start)
Wait, sequel..?
AMAAAZIIIIING!!! :pinkiehappy:

This story was absolutely incredible! I don't think I've ever read a fic that got me so invested, and so in love with the characters before now. Not to mention how much it managed to play with my emotions. When Troy popped the question to Canvas I actually had to squirm in my seat and bite down on my own fist hard enough to leave toothmarks for two days straight to not cry out or squeal in glee! I'm pretty sure I got seriously teary-eyed as well. :pinkiesad2:
I was put off reading this for a while because of the 'Tragedy' category (since the last time I read a story like that it waited until the last two chapters to arbitrarily drown a drunken Fluttershy in a bathtub:fluttercry:), but dear, sweet, baby-princess Celestia am I glad I changed my mind!
Bravo sir. Bra-vo! :twilightsmile:

This is going to be the longest story I will ever read wish me luck

3552928

Oh yeah! Gotta love them. :pinkiehappy:

This story is so great - straight to favorites!

I cried on this, and I laughed a lot, so overall a great fic and I'm going to read the sequel now, oh and by the way I'm going to start writing, just need to take a few notes!

Wow. This was great. This stuff is as good as An affliction of the heart.
So much effort gotten into it, and yet only 65 likes? This story deserves more views.
(I personally blame the profile pic of the story.)

Ah, I was thoroughly elated to find that there was a sequel. Despite a few things that irked me (plot contrivances, Canvas, lack of tasteful clop) I found this story to be one of the better romances on the website. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't have more attention. That being said, this was a highly enjoyable read and I look forward to the sequel.

Found from /r/mylgbtpony.

Thanks for the great story, VClaw! I am a fan of gryphs and writing about their society (since we see so much of the ponies), so I'll bet I'll enjoy BA2!

Also, great wordplay with the title; I feel like not many people notice that Canvas was brushed away by everyone until he met Troy, and then all of his sadness was brushed away by feather-butt.

:rainbowkiss:

AWWWW! This is wonderful, sure it has its down moments but the happiness, and jokes, and characters make up for it. You have a wonderful thing you have here, its a shame not many seen such works as yours, kudos to you!:pinkiesmile:

Staches, staches everywhere! FOR YOU! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Well. It only took me a minimum of 10 hours spread out over three days to finish this but. Bwaaah! This. Story! Is just. Amazing!

I could gush quite a bit about this but, honestly I'm already cutting into my time to start reading Brushed Away 2. You'll be the death of me, Mr. Claw, I swear!

realized I never "Liked" this.

Alright, so I just spent a few days reading this entire fic and have finally finished it. Now before I tell you what I think about it I want you to understand I am a very critical person. I call them like I see them. I'm very blunt and harsh with my words. So, I suggest you sit down and grab some tissues because I'm not going to hold back.

This story, this story.. I mean.. Wow.. What can I really say? All that comes to mind is that this story is brilliant. Like, truly brilliant. Honestly this story is god tier in every aspect that it brings to the table. Pacing, timing, progression, style, personalities, character interaction & development. All of these things came together as a flawless execution. Seriously, this was so well done that I still cant even believe it. I was happy, sad, angry and tense. So many emotions that came so naturally, so organic.

I have read very few fanfics that have done so well on this type of pacing. It wasnt just 'hey they get together in 2 chapters', they actually grew and reacted. Again the word organic comes to mind because it feel so real. Actions and reactions, pain and redemption. I honestly dont know what else I can say!

Actually, I know what I can say. I can say how shameful it is that this story doesn't have more attention. Honestly I find it mind boggling that shitty Halo crossover fics get featured on the daily, but I never seen this fic featured! Shame, truly a shame. You know the real sad part? I can tell you exactly why it isn't popular. Two reasons. First, this is a OC based story. While some great OC stories have been made, OC stories are so cancerous that diamonds like this are lost in the sea that is poorly written OC stories. The second thing is that this was a M/M romance. Another thing that sickens me is that people would overlook such a finely written story simply because it was a M/M coupling.

You might be thinking to yourself author man. What was that stuff earlier in my comment about me being critical for? I honestly just wanted you to fully understand that I'm not leaving this comment because I think your story is alright. I leave this comment because I think it is great and that it is a travesty that it is has flown under the radar for many Fimfic readers. I have written foalcon that have more higher ratings than this and I will freely admit that that disgusts me. I take pride in my work but I honestly cant fathom why this is so underrated.

I hope you continue your work TheVClaw because I see a lot of potential. Have my thumbs, faves and watch. You more than deserved it.

I was very dubious about this. I haven't really read any interspecies stuff before.

But this...

*pomf*

I really like the character development. It's interesting to watch their relationship start out as it did and gradually lead up to something more. The pacing of the story was done very well, as it didn't rush at all like some tend to. You actually saw the characters grow and develop feelings, unlike some romance stories where it happens in a couple of sentences.

I certainly enjoyed this. Everyday at school I would read a few pages before (and sometimes during) all my classes, and it made the day so much more bearable to know that I would have something great to read.

Well done good sir, well done.
I award you 9 out of 10 flutteryays, and I can be a very critical person, so they mean a lot.
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Before this, the most I've ever given was 7.

One more hand for this guy. /) (\

I'm about the halfway mark of this fic and I really wanted to comment before I finished and say that I think you did a really good job of crafting a pretty believable cast of characters who interact with the mane 6 and other folk around Ponyville. Canvas seems like a nice little fellow, Troy too. There're some grammar and spelling mistakes here and there, but, hey, we're only human and these things happen.

Overall, I think this fic is definitely a great read, I really like that you're taking your time getting Troy and Canvas together instead of rushing it and just shoving it in the readers faces. That's a nice touch.

So, yeah, keep up the good work.

I want to start off by saying thank you. This is one of the very best stories I have ever read. Not even some of my old favourites could even come close to this. You are a writing genius. At chapter thirty-one when Canvas and Troy were really starting to realize their feeling for each other, I was blown away. No other author that I have seen has ever had the realization of love so far into the story, that shows just how great of an author you are. Most authors, including myself, would not have been able to keep that from coming up for as long as you did. Then there was the proposal scene, fifty-three chapters, to see the seemingly long time between the two realizing that they were in love and the proposal, I was blown away again. Never in my history of reading have I seen any author go from chapter one with an idea to chapter 53 and keep that idea in mind. There are no words that can truly describe how impressed I am and how happy I am for having read this story. Again, thank you, thank you for this amazing story.

This was without a doubt the greatest thing I have ever read in my life! I saw a few grammar issues, but they were completely overshadowed by the story, plot, characters, emotion, and the general awesomeness of this work of art!

I love Rainbow Dash, and she is one of my favorites. But she is no longer the best pony.

YOU are the best pony!:pinkiehappy:

wow this was the best story i read in a long time!
this should really have more likes.

This is the only fic to ever make me cry... And I don't think there will be a story to come close to topping this... You have a gift in writing TheVClaw... And from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for this beautiful story... I hope you continue to write breath taking stories such as this one.

4164833 I just realised I spelt Kuno's name wrong.

All in all, I must say that I found this piece to be rather sweet. Others have gushed in the comments about the things they liked - especially the pacing - allowing the reader to believe that our lovebirds actually spent time getting to know one another before they came together as a couple. That was marvelous. Therefore, just to be different, I would like to point out a few things that bothered me:

1) Repeatedly, a character was stated to have a 'tone' to their face, instead of an expression. This was rather consistent throughout the story, so it may well be an issue of dialect rather than an error. We folks who speak English are renowned for being divided by a common language, after all. The fact that your dialect is utterly wrong is of trivial concern. :trollestia:

2) The concept of a 'hate-crime' is something I find personally distasteful, as it reeks of 'thought-crime' - the idea that certain opinions and ideas are themselves criminal, as opposed to actions based on those ideas. Whether a person brutally beats and batters someone for their preferences in recreational plumbing or their taste in music, the attacker still administered a brutal beating to the victim. If one is a hate-crime, and therefore worse, doesn't that imply that the other hypothetical assault wasn't as bad?

3) While I can appreciate why Princess Luna asked Canvas to reevaluate his position vis-à-vis his attacker, I spent that entire segment wanting to return fire with a lecture of my own, and it would not have been nice. It's all well and good to say - and even show - that a wrongdoer can feel genuine remorse for his or her actions, but how often have people issued heartfelt claims to have changed their ways only to fall back into their old habits? The events of the past are still there, regardless of how sincere an apology can be.

With the above said, however, I've very much enjoyed this story. Onward to the sequel!

This is one of the most amazing story I have read, I laughed, I cried, I got angry, and really happy! A+ and an encore please :pinkiesmile:

Finally managed to finish it and I absolutely adore this story. Canvas and Troy are by far my favorite OC M/M pairing. My only gripe is, least for me, there aren't enough conflicts in the story. I would have thought that Gallop Creek might be inhabited by backwater conservatives that will light their torches and pitchforks over ponies like Canvas. I mean, don't get me wrong, but I would have loved to see them run into ponies who disapprove of them or even argue amongst themselves as they question their relationship. Conflicts that would make the final scene so much more satisfying, least letting us know that the both of them have persevered through it all.

But then again I'm just a sadistic a:yay:ole who is mean to his own characters :trollestia:. Oh well, kudos, would love to read more from you. :twilightsmile:

*Starts clapping*
*continues clapping*
......
*breaks wrist from clapping*
....
*continues to clap*

Ah, this fic came recommended by Babs_seed_72 and it was indeed an entertaining ride. Couple of tense issues here and there, some typo's. And Canvas his dead seems to have a bit of growing to do still. I have never been drunk myself, but if he says and does those kind of things he obviously has moral issues with his son's lifestyle. There is no sense of him trying to accept that part of him and maybe trying to overcome it, he goes from rage to deep regret and shame. We never really see him questioning himself why, really.

The bystander effect is also a bit... weak maybe? Ponies were not just ignoring him, if they fled behind doors and turned of lights.

All in all, a pleasant read.

Absolutely stunning story. Meticulously paced from the beginning to its proper ending. Despite the flaws, this story still rightfully takes its place among the best. Excellent work.

Perfect. 10/10. Would recommend. Scratch that - I have already recommend it :D
It is stories like this that make me read fan fiction. Every chapter was entertaining. If I could write fiction like this I would (tried a few times in the past. I have all the good ideas but struggle with the writing part)

Only character that I did not like was Rainbow Dash. I am sure no one appreciates me saying this but I saw her as an antagonist that got away with murder and in the end everyone was okay with it. It kind of bothered me in the middle of the fic but after reading an ending like that I really don't care anymore.

This was one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. It grabbed my attention in all the right ways, and tugged at my heartstrings on several occasions.

You should be proud to have written something as amazing as this. :twilightsmile:

best story i have ever read you should so proud that you made a masterpiece like this
ive read it 3 times and it still hasent gotten old:twilightblush:

This... Is too Good for Words...
I have just spent 24 Hours Reading this, and I dont regret a Second...
Urgh... I want sleep, But I see a Sequal...
... Must... Resist... Urges...


In all seriousness, You are Amazing, and I think I have found a new favourite Fanfic on this site. And not just as in A Favourite, but The Favourite. Holy Hell. I should really be writing myself, but sometimes you just want to read, and Loke damnit you made me read!

There is too much good about this Fic, I cannot say it all... Its late, I have been reading for so long. Just know That... I can Gush over how amazing this is for eons, but I think you got the idea :pinkiehappy:

I honestly wish i was more articulate so i could properly express how i feel about this fic. I don't think i've ever experienced the immense joy and sadness that this story made me experience. Thank you sooo soo much for writing this, i can't wait to read the sequels! :twilightsmile:

Just blasted through this fic, and it was glorious!

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

Why is this not featured:fluttercry::flutterrage::facehoof:

Read this in... four or five days? Maybe less. Like, two or three days.

I bucking LOVE this story! I'm almost finished after reading it in my spare time for the past few days. While there's a few typos (like omitted words here and there) it's still really well typed up grammatically. I really relate to Canvas and the themes of this story. Good stuff.

I just finished this story, and around 23 seconds into this video, I got reminded of the love that Troy and Canvas share. This song will forever be known as "The Gryphon's Brush."

if there wasn't a sequel i would beg for one, no joke

I actually saw your name in Bad_Seed 72's top ten list of authors and I thought I would check it out. It was a very well-written story and now I'm moving on to the sequel.

This story is contesting for one of my favorite on the entire site it manages to have so much development and keep you hooked for the whole duration I'm super looking forward to catching up on the sequel

Canvas Clawston. Alliteration. Perfect ponies and busy businesses prefer Alliteration. Take out the perfect part and put in homosexual and we're all good.

Great story, don't usually read male ship male fictions, but this one was great.

We just have to add a tad bit (300%) more madness, and this will be on the borderline of perfection.

Login or register to comment