• Published 17th May 2013
  • 1,304 Views, 20 Comments

Friend of the Nerevarine - DVAN56



Sanjuro, The Nerevarine, retells his tales in Morrowind, and of the best friend he ever had.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,304

Day 4 - Meet the Blades

Right now I bet your all confused. “Mages guild? I thought you a warrior?” We'll I am a warrior and I can fight with the best of them! But I haven't got to that part yet. Now shush and let me tell my story.

Lets see. Where was I...


Day 4(Meet the Blades Part 1 - The Mentors Ring)

When one mentions a unicorn the first thing that comes to your mind is a majestic horned horse that symbolizes purity. However after meeting Twilight the first thing that comes to mind is books. Yes books. That purple mare is crazy over them.

Why do I bring this up. Because the next day after we get back from or guild initiation task she goes and spend all our money on books. Now back then I didn't actually have the full understanding of how to handle money so I didn't get angry over that. What I did get angry about was the fact that Twilight was making me carry all of HER books back to the guild hall.

For some reason Caius was at the guild and was just leaving as we approached. He was shirtless like before(I honestly think that man doesn't own a single shirt), waving around a bottle, and acting drunk. He was good at it too.

He bumped into me, on purpose, and hard enough to knock the tower of books out of my hand. Twilight gasped and with reflexes that rival a khajiit, caught most of the books in a magical aura before they hit the ground.

“Sorry about that.” He said slurring his speech. “By the way I think you dropped this.”

He handed me a piece of paper then left.

Anyway once we got back to the hall she started reading the books. Trying to gain some understanding of the world she was now thrown into. She would get so absorbed into the books that she literally didn't notice the world around her. I mean Ajira, the hall alchemist, cut some of her fur to use for potion making and Twilight didn't even notice. The only time she did notice the world around her was because one of the mages touched one of her books and she sent them flying across the room with a blast of magic. it was a little frighting to say the lest

So what did that leave me to do. Well at the hall nothing. The guild hall tends to be a very boring place. So I decided to look at that paper Cauis had given me.

It slipped my mind on our fist meeting but there are others in Balmora that might be of assistance. As I have overlooked the fact that this is also your first time out in the real world.

The first is Nine-Toes. He is one of the best hunters in the area and is probably the only one of us in Vvardenfell that is “normal”. He can offer up info on local wildlife and other dangers in the wilderness.

Next is Tyermaillin. He is a healer of sorts, mainly works with potion making but also knows quite a bit about magics as well. He can help you with anything magical related, though me may not be as knowledgeable as the mages guild. Also DO NOT TAKE TWILIGHT TO HIS HOUSE! You may never get her out if you do. Also he has a “different” accent then most. It may be hard to understand what he is saying.

The last is Rith. While I may act the part of a drunk, She is a drunk. However despite her drinking she is one of the best warriors I know of. If your looking to learn a thing or two about holding your own in a fight you may want to meet her. If not don't even see her.

Now that I look back on it. It was very suspicious that Caius gave me leads for gathering general info at the same time Twilight was looking for it. However at the time I saw it as something to do that wasn't being board in the guild hall.

I was going to start with Nine-Toes. However he was out, hunting. He left a sign on his door saying so. How he never got rob is beyond me. So I went to the next place on the list, Tyermaillin's.

Tyermaillin was a High Elf. Tall. However unlike most his speech was, like the note said, different.

“Hello?” he said as he opened the door to his house. Caius didn't lie about his accent. It was hard to understand at time. The accent was deep, almost too deep for a normal High Elf. Also a lot of his words he would start with a “Va” or "Vo" instead of the normal sound a word was suppose to make.

“Caius told me to-”

“Ah, so your the new brother.”

“Brother?”

“Yeah. Your still new but over time you will start to see us as family....a very dysfunctional family but we serve the Emperor better then most. Come in.”

The house was a lot like Caius house. Just one big room, however Tyermaillin's was a little bigger and clean. That and the bed and tables where of a nicer quality.

“Caius's note said that you could help me with magic”

“Ah, well actual spell casting, no. I work more with potions and enchantments”

“Enchantments?”

“Yes enchantments.”

“What is an enchantment?”

“Your joking. Surly your joke” he said. I just gave him a blank stare “Your not joking.”

“Soooooo...what is it?”

“Well an enchantment in simple terms, is a spell infused within an object. Very useful for any one as they let you cast magics with little to no understanding on how magic work. Just point and use. Also, very easy to tell if an object has been enchanted because they glow.”

“They glow, like this?” I said as I pulled the ring I had found a few days before out of my pocket

“Yes a lot like tha...wait a minute. Let me see that ring.” Tyermaillin came up and grabbed the ring from my hand before I could say anything.

“This...This.....THIS IS AMAZING! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M HOLDING THIS!” he shouted as he started jumping in the air with joy. He even did a little dance to go with it. In the end the whole spectacle lasted for about five minutes.

“Sorry about that” he said as he started to regain his composure. “But this ring is any mage's dream come true. I still can believe I'm holding”

“Whats so special about it, other then it's enchanted?”

“If I wasn't filled in about your situation beforehand I would have...ah never mind that. This ring, known as the Mentors Ring, can amplify anyone magical prowess by a significant margin.”

“So it makes ones magic stronger?”

“Unimaginably so.”

“That is nice to know....Can I have the ring back?”

“But...Fine here you go. Just be glad we are brother. Now to the why you are-” Tyermaillin didn't to finish as the door swung open. In came a Redguard woman wearing the traditional Morrowind Bonemold armor and an eyepatch over her left eye. On her belt hung a saber and in her left hand...a bottle of whiskey.

“Hey Tyermy! Caius said we got a new...Oi! He's already here.”

“O dear” Tyermaillin said with a look of dread upon his face.

The next thing I new the woman came up to me. Look me over with her one eye intently. The smell of booze was heavy on her. And unlike Caius, she was in fact a drunkard.

“Test time. DODGE!

The next thing I saw was her fist. Then everything went black.

-------------------

“Uh. What happened?” I said as I started to wake up. I was standing upright for some reason as well which only added to the confusion that I was already feeling.

“Bloody hell!” The Redgaurd woman said from my left.

“Not possible!” Tyermaillin gasped as if he had just seen a ghost.

I then found myself falling. Apparently Tyermaillin and the Redgaurd woman were carrying me somewhere. I'm guessing they were expecting me to remain knocked out longer then I was by their reactions. Which was letting go of me and letting me fall flat on my face

I groaned in pain a little before picking myself off the ground. The first thing I noticed is that I was still in Tyermaillins house. The second thing was that both Tyermaillin and the Redgaurd were staring at me with their mouths hanging open.

“What was that for?”

“How in bloody hell are you awake?!” the Redgaurd woman said. She sound a little angry too.

Tyermaillin must have noticed the sudden mood change from the woman and stepped in to try and calm her down.

“Rith, just calm down. Remember he was brought into the Blades by the Emperors order. The Emperor wouldn't..”

“I bloody know that!” The woman now known as Rith interrupted. “But that was a direct bloody hit! I can't even recover from a blow that bloody fast! And he just...he didn't even bloody dodge it! Its like he has never bloody seen combat before.”

“Caius did say he was a special case. Even by the Emperors standards.”

I just watched as the two continued to converts about me as if I wasn't their. It was all really confusing at the time and was giving my a headache. Then again the headache could have come the hit I was recovering from, or Rith constantly saying “bloody” all the time. She has a strange fascination with the word.

Sometimes I wounder if going back the guild hall and trying to take on of Twilight's books would have be easier on me. That way I could have at lest prepared myself for the incoming pain.

The two continued to talk about how I should still be unconscious or how the Emperor requested me to be a member of the Blades. Ether way I wasn't getting anywhere here so I decided it was a good time to leave.

“Hay! Where the bloody hell are you going!” Rith yelled at me as I started to leave

“Somewhere else to-”

“No you bloody don't! You failed your bloody test! And no member of the Blades is not going without the basics of combat on my bloody watch.” she said as she approached me.

Before I knew what was happening she had grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and started dragging me away. I tried to break free at first but Rith's grip was like a vice. After a minute or two of struggling I finally gave up knowing that she wasn't letting go nor was I breaking free. Maybe this is why Cauis never had a shirt on.

She drug me outside and around to the back side of Tyermaillin house into a small enclosed yard. Aside from a single crate in the corner, which had a few bottles both empty and full on it, the yard was empty. Not even grass grew in their. It was just a dry dusty plot of land.

As soon as we entered the yard Rith let go and looked at me with an expressionless look.

“This is how things are going to bloody go. I'm going to be bloody training you. From what I have bloody seen of you, you wont stay bloody alive for long here. You wont do any bloody good to the Emperor if you get your bloody self killed. So the next few morning I want you here at sunrise and your getting trained.”

I was about to ask what the heck was going on. I had no idea what was actually happening at the time and just wanted to leave. However I was compelled to listen and stay, I still don't know why but I'm going to calk it up to “child like curiosity”. Thats what Twilight called it anyway.

Rith suddenly got a wicked grin across her face after she finished talking. She walked over to the crate and grabbed one of the bottles that were over their.

“First lesson, learning to bloody dodge. NOW GET OUT OF THE WAY!”

She then chucked the bottle at me. Time seemed to slow as I saw that bottle fly towards me. I can distinctly remember the bottle flipping six times as it flew through the air. Then the bottle hit me, square in the forehead. It broke and the booze stored inside spilled all over my face.

I fell backwards. That was twice today that I have been hit in the face by Rith. However unlike the first time I didn't blackout immediately. As I laid on the ground I could hear Rith let out a sigh. I heard her say one last thing before things faded to black.

“This is going to be a long training session.”

Author's Note:

Sigh, took a little longer then i liked to get this one out. anyway here is the next chapter, enjoy. Going to try and get the next one done within the week but no promises. My mind is currently being bombarded by different ideas and its hard to stay focused on writing just one.

Also in Morrowind the Mentors Ring gave a constant effect buff of +10 to wisdom and Intelligence. In this story I'm upping its power a bit.

Lastly. Leave a Comment, tell me what you think so far, give me some feedback.