• Published 15th May 2013
  • 4,275 Views, 217 Comments

The Princess of Themyscira - iowaforever



Soarin' meets Diana, daughter of Hippolyta and Princess of Themyscira

  • ...
6
 217
 4,275

The Wonderbolt and The Amazon

The Wonderbolt and the Amazon

In an attempt to distance herself from Phillipus and her mother as much as she could, Diana had started out early in the morning and traveled to a small cove on the western side of the island. It was not much, just a beach with some rocks, but it was quiet and allowed Diana some privacy. Of course, like any good Amazon she had brought a spear along just in case she decided to practice.

However, practicing did not seem all that attractive right now. Instead she was resting on one of the larger rocks, allowing Celestia’s Sun to warm her as she mulled over her conversation with her mother. She had said it was for her own good, not talking about the mortal realm.

Then why am I not convinced? She sighed and closed her eyes, opening her mind as best she could.

“Gods of Olympus, hear your servant’s prayer.” she said. “I am conflicted, lost, confused. I ask you to provide me with guidance and strength. My mother wishes for me to avoid the mortal realm, and I am not sure if she is right. Please, O Gods, grant me clear sight so I may overcome these challenges.” it was not the best worded of prayers, but it would suffice. She opened her eyes, watching as clouds drifted silently across the sky, before pushing herself back up on her hooves. After fetching her spear she surveyed the beach, her eyes tracing every single rock, branch, or pile of plant matter she could see.

As she prepared to leave, she spotted something at the very end of the beach; something white, almost invisible against the sand. Curious, she walked towards the object, spear resting on her back in case she needed it. As she neared the object, it grew in size and shape until Diana could confirm that it was a pony, a Pegasus with a light blue coat and a darker blue mane. Diana quickened her pace in case the pony was injured, but froze when she was about four yards away from the newcomer.

It was from there that she could see that the pony was a colt.

Instinct and training caused Diana to panic a little, and she ducked behind a large rock to hide herself from view. The colt had not noticed her, as far as she could tell, but he could have been lying in wait for her to get too close. If this is the Gods’ answer to my prayers, then my mother was right about their sense of “amusement”... Don’t panic, Diana; you are an Amazon, one of Athena’s chosen warriors. You can handle this. Diana peaked around the edge of the rock, watching the colt for any sign of life.

The colt had rolled over, and was now lying facedown in the sand. He had no weapons that Diana could see, and from his vocalizations she guessed he was probably in pain. Seeing how badly he was hurt was not very high on Diana’s list of priorities. Grasping the spear as best she could, Diana snuck forward, sticking close to the water to approach the colt from his blind spot.

“Well... This is definitely not Manehattan.” the colt said. Diana did not know what this ‘Manehattan’ was, so she deemed it as irrelevant as she drew the blunt end of her spear back for a strike. “I suppose I should get flying if I want to-” He never finished, for in that moment Diana struck. There was a crack as the spear collided with the colt’s skull, pitching him forward into the sand. The blow might not have been too hard for an Amazon, but Diana had no idea of gauging how durable the colt was. She set the spear down and pinned the colt to the ground with her hoof, pressing right between his wings to prevent him from moving.

“What are you doing here, stallion of Equestria?” she asked, pressing into his back with her hoof.

..................

Soarin’ blinked. His mind was running into overdrive, and he found himself stammering in confusion. The mare was not impressed, and pressed harder into his back. “Answer me.”

“I-I, Uh... Where is ‘here’?” he asked, causing the mare's scowl to deepen.

“Are you dense? Why else would you be sent here?”

“I don’t know where here is!” Soarin' cried, causing the mare's features to soften as she blinked in surprise.

“You... you really don’t know?” she aksed, her voice soft.

“No. I was in Manehattan last night and now I’m here... wherever here is.” there was silence as the mare pulled her hoof off of Soarin’s back.

“You have truly never heard of Themyscira?” the mare asked. Where the heck is Themyscira? Soarin’ thought, rubbing the back of his head.

“No, never heard of it before.” he pushed himself up from the ground and faced the mare. “I’d love to stay and chat, but I have some things I need to do. Which way is the fastest way to get to Manehattan?”

The mare raised an eyebrow. “Where is this ‘Manehattan’?”

“You... don’t know where Manehattan is?” Soarin asked, shocked that this mare seemingly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

“Should I?” The mare asked, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. Soarin was not really sure what to think right now. Here he was, talking with some pony who had never heard of Manehattan... Then again, he had never heard of ‘Themyscira’ before.

“Okay...” he said, shaking off some sand that clung to his coat. “Well, do you know where I could find a map or something?”

“The maps we have may not be suitable for your needs." the mare replied. "Also, I am not fully sure about why you are here, so I must take you to see my mother to find out what that is.”

Soarin’ nodded. “Okay, that sounds good. After that, I can leave?”

“That is not my decision to make; my mother will decide what is to be done with you.” the mare said. Soarin raised an eyebrow. Why does that not sound good? Then again, this mare seemed very isolated, or at least confused; perhaps clarifying it with her mother would make things go better for all of them.

“... Fair enough.” he said. The mare meanwhile, nodded and began walking towards the forest, but stopped and faced Soarin’ once more with a glare.

“But know this. Themyscira is very hostile to ponies like you. Stay close to me and I shall protect you as best I can.”

“When you say ‘ponies like me’, what do you mean, exactly?”

“I’ll explain on the way in.” The mare kept walking, Soarin’ following closely behind.

“So... We kind of got off on the wrong hoof.” he said. “My name’s Soarin’.”

“Pleasure.” the mare responded.

“Um... What’s your name, if you don’t mind me asking?” another pause.

“... Diana. My name is Diana.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Diana. Well... except for the part where you tried to kill me.” Soarin' gave a weak chuckle. Diana did not join in.

“That was only to gauge whether or not you were a threat.”

“Oh... Well, good thing I’m not a threat, right?” Again, the mare did not seem amused.

“I cannot determine that at this moment; you could just be waiting for me to let my guard down. My mother will be the final judge on what you are capable of.”

“And, uh, if she thinks I’m a... threat?”

“She’ll either imprison you or have you executed.” Soarin winced. I was right; this is bad.

“Yay me.” he said weakly. They kept walking, Soarin’ watching as Diana navigated through the forest. There was something about her that Soarin’ could not quite put his hoof on, but she seemed much more exotic than she had first appeared to be; softer motions, unmatched composure... good looks.

“So... Themyscira." he started, just to kill the silence between them. "Where is that in relation to Equestria?”

“It varies, depending on the time period. Sometimes it’s been close, other times it’s been far away. As I am not a unicorn I am not the best to describe the specifics behind the spells.”

“Ah... so, what’s it like?” a pause, Diana looking back over at him.

“Understand that I am a bit biased, but I think that it is one of the greatest places for a mare to live in. My sisters and I-”

“You have sisters?” Soarin' asked. At least we have something in common.

“Not by blood, but all of the mares here are my sisters, more or less." Diana looked away for a moment. "We live in peace, harvesting, training, and crafting.”

“Ah... so, what do you do?” another pause. Diana stopped walking for a moment to better address Soarin’.

“Many things. I am a warrior, first and foremost, but if called upon I can take care of most of my mother’s duties.”

“And your mother is?”

“My mother is Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons and ruler of Themyscira.” now it was Soarin’s turn to stop walking.

“Wait, queen? You’re a princess?”

“Yes. Is there something wrong with that?” Diana asked.

“Uh, no, but... Well, most of the princesses I know are... alicorns.” Diana raised an eyebrow.

“You have actually met one of the gods?”

“You mean Princess Celestia?” Soarin’ scratched his head. “Well, I guess she’s kind of a god. But still, if you’re a princess, why don’t you have any... well, guards or attendants or something?”

“I can take care of myself, and my mother trusts me enough to allow me to go off on my own. Besides, there is not much on Themyscira that can harm a good warrior.” Diana kept walking, and Soarin’ trotted after her in order to catch up.

“So, uh, Diana... should I call you Princess Diana?”

“No.” she said quickly.

“Uh, okay. So, Diana, when you said that ponies wouldn’t really like somepony like me, what exactly did you mean?”

“Colts and stallions are not allowed on Themyscira; it is one of the laws set down by the gods when Athena first created the Amazons.” Soarin’ began to sweat.

“So... Why didn’t you just kill me when we met?”

“I have my reasons.” Now Soarin’ was wishing he had just left Diana on the beach and started flying. Here he was, stuck on some island he had never heard of, surrounded by mares that were instructed not to like him, and he was in the company of their princess. Soarin’ swallowed; he wished he had just ignored the creepy stallion at the bar and stayed in Manehattan, but fate had not been on his side.

Of course, my wishes don’t really seem to end all that well.

“So... if I’m not supposed to be here, then what happens when we meet up with everypony else?”

“Most likely they will try to kill you before my mother passes her sentence; after that they will obey her commands, be it to set you free or kill you." Diana said, as casually as a Pegasus would explain a weather schedule. "Stay close to me and you may yet survive.”

“Terrific.” the two exited the forest, with Soarin’ sticking closer to Diana than ever before. Up ahead was a small grove, with a few mares tending to it. One of them looked in their direction and spotted Diana, smiling as they neared.

“Diana, some of the others were talking about your phoenix hunt yesterday and we... were... thinking...” the mare trailed off when she saw Soarin’, her face dropping into a worried frown. “Diana, i-is that a colt?”

“Yes.” Diana said. “I found him on the beach this morning. I am taking him to my mother so that she can decide what to do with him.”

“Oh, o-of course.” The mare gave a half-hearted smile and pulled away, eyeing Soarin’ with suspicion. “W-We’ll just leave you to it, then.” Diana nodded her thanks and lead Soarin’ past the grove, the other mares watching as they left.

“That was better than I anticipated; like I said, some of my sisters may try to kill you.” Soarin swallowed as they entered the city. He was not focused on the beautiful architecture, the hanging gardens, or the numerous statues. All he was focused on was the large numbers of mares, many of them armed, and how all of them seemed to stop what they were doing and stare at him as he entered the plaza.

She said it’d get worse... How bad is worse? His answer arrived in the form of a spear flying through the air and stabbing into the ground right at his hooves. Okay, that’s worse.

..................

“Diana!” Diana turned and saw Phillipus approaching through the crowd, the older mare heavily armed and very angry. “What in the name of the gods do you think you are doing?!”

“I found this colt on the beach.” she answered, stepping between the angry captain of the guard and Soarin’. “I brought him here so that my mother could decide his fate.”

“You should have just forced him to leave, or better yet killed him." Phillipus snapped. "You know the laws say that no stallion must enter Themyscira!”

“I know, but I do not think he means us any harm, or has the capability to do so.”

“‘You don’t think’.” Phillipus pointed a hoof at Diana. “That is an easy trap to fall into. I did not think my commanding officer would stab me to death for accepting his son’s advances. And now you have let a stallion into Themyscira, who knows what kind of trouble may arise. Now stand aside so I may remove him before he can cause any more damage.”

“No.” Phillipus’ anger rose.

“Stand aside now, girl!”

“Enough!” Hippolyta shouted as she stepped between Diana and Phillipus. “Stand down, Phillipus, before you hurt somepony.”

“... Yes, my lady.” Phillipus backed down, still glaring at Soarin’. Hippolyta looked at Diana.

“Diana, would you care to explain yourself?” Diana looked to Soarin’, the colt focused on the hostile mares surrounding him.

“Well, I was resting on the beach when I saw this colt had been washed up onshore. I brought him here so that you may judge whether he should be killed or not.”

“How do you know that I won’t just order Phillipus to kill him?” Hippolyta asked.

“Mother, you’re a better mare than that. Yes, it’s a breach in our laws, but wouldn’t such a wanton act of violence be unbecoming your status as queen?” Hippolyta paused, her eyes darting from Diana to Soarin’.

“Step aside.”

“Mother-” Diana started, but Hippoyta waved her off.

“Step aside, Diana.” Diana opened her mouth to object, but hesitated.

“... Yes mother.” Diana stepped away from Soarin’ while Hippolyta approached him. She sized up the colt for a moment, and Soarin’ shrunk back whenever the two made eye contact. They stood like that for some time, and Diana was beginning to get nervous form the tension.

What happen next caught everypony off guard. Hippolyta’s horn shimmered with magic before a golden lasso appeared next to her. With a quick flick of her horn, Hippolyta sent the lasso flying and snagged Soarin’s forelegs, pulling him to the ground. Diana started to move forward to help Soarin’ but she was held back by Phillipus.

“What is your name, colt?” Hippolyta asked, tightening the lasso.

“Uh, Soarin’.” he replied.

“Why are you here?”

“I don’t really know. Last night I was in Manehattan with a couple of ponies when this weird Pegasus came up to me and asked a favor. When I said I’d help him I blacked out and found myself lying on that beach where your daughter found me.” Soarin’ seemed surprised that he was saying this much, but Hippolyta remained unfazed.

“This Pegasus, describe him.”

“I... Well, he was white and had a blond mane, and I think red eyes.” Hippolyta frowned, looking to Phillipus and Diana before continuing.

“Have you any military experience?” she asked.

“A little.”

“He’s a spy!” Phillipus shouted. Hippolyta turned and glared at the other mare.

“I am the one passing judgment, Phillipus, not you. Now,” she turned back to Soarin’. “What exactly was this favor he asked you to complete?”

“He didn’t say; I blacked out before he could explain.”

“Does this ‘Manehattan’ know of the existence of Themyscira?”

“Never heard of the place before in my life.” there was a pause. Hippolyta looked to the other Amazons, then to Diana, then back at Soarin’.

“I do not believe you are a spy.” she leaned in closer. “That does not mean that I trust you. I wonder what other thoughts are drifting through your mind right now.”

“Dear Celestia, your daughter’s got cute flanks.” Soarin’ said, not realizing what exactly he had said until it was too late. There was a collective gasp from the assembled Amazons, and Diana’s coat faded to a deeper shade of red as she blushed. Yes, she knew she was an attractive mare, but being told that by a mortal, a colt no less, caught her off guard. Soarin’ noted his mistake and tried to backtrack. “I didn’t mean for that to come out, I was just-”

“I know.” Hippolyta interrupted. “That is one of the disadvantages of the Lasso of Truth; it shows everything, wanted or otherwise.” She turned to her fellow Amazons. “This colt speaks the truth of his arrival here, and I do not find him to be a threat to Themyscira.”

“So... Can I go home now?” Soarin' asked before the Lasso tightened.

“No. Consider yourself my prisoner until tomorrow. Then, I will set you free and see that you are taken safely back to ‘Manehattan’. Phillipus,” Hippolyta dismissed the Lasso of Truth and pushed Soarin’ in the direction of the royal guard. “Take him to the palace, and make sure he gets there unharmed. After that, come meet me and Diana in the temple; I wish to speak to you both about a very serious matter.” Phillipus nodded and advanced towards Soarin’ followed closely by several guards. The other Amazons began to disperse, going back to their normal duties. Diana, unsure of what to do, decided to follow her mother.

“Mother, I thank you for showing him mercy.” she said. Hippolyta did not respond at first, eyes focused on the temple before her.

“I shouldn’t have, but this situation is much more dire than I thought. Once Phillipus joins us, I shall explain.”

.................

The temple of Athena was unoccupied save for the giant statue of the Amazon’s patron deity. Before the statue sat an altar, on which rested the Lasso of Truth, a golden tiara with a red star set in the center, and a folded leotard based off the crests of a fallen ally of the Amazons. Diana had often asked her mother about who the ally was, but Hippolyta had been evasive and never gave her a straight answer. Much was the same with many of the older Amazons, and Diana became increasingly frustrated as she failed to get answers.

Now, she was standing before that altar with her mother and Phillipus. As per Phillipus’ insistence, Alexa had joined the three, and now they waited for Hippolyta to speak what was on her mind.

“I know you are wondering why I called you here before Athena.” Hippolyta said.

“Well, it is definitely strange.” Alexa said. “I think that addressing all of us at once would have been more sufficient.”

“I have my reasons." Hippolyta replied. "Our ‘guest’ provided a very interesting piece of information regarding who he contacted before arriving in Themyscira, and if my suspicions are correct then both us and the mortals are in grave danger.”

“Why, mother?” Diana asked. “He seems like just a normal Pegasus.”

“You would think that, Diana. But the Pegasus he contacted happens to fit the exact description of one of Ares’ avatars.” a deep silence hung over the three other Amazons, Diana looking to the two older mares for guidance.

“Hippolyta,” Phillipus said. “You can’t be serious. Ares is behind this?”

“Who else? He is one of the few gods we have recognized as a foe to the Amazons, it makes sense that he would try to destabilize us.”

“But deception is not really Ares’ method.” Alexa countered. “He is focused on strength and brutality, not planning and trickery.”

“That does not mean he cannot improvise. I have no idea what Ares’ plan is, or why he chose to send a colt here, but I do know this; whatever his plan is, it does not bode well for Themyscira.” Hippolyta sighed. “Which is why I am sending one of us to guide this colt back to his home.”

“My lady-” Phillipus began, but Hippolyta stopped her.

“The mortal realm cannot stand on it’s own against Ares, but we have turned him back before. We can stop Ares from destroying the mortal realm, and ensure goodwill between us and them.”

“Who will you send?” Diana asked. Hippolyta paused for a moment.

“That is not for me to decide. It will be for the gods to judge who is worthy to be our champion.” Hippolyta smiled. “A tournament shall be held tomorrow to determine who the gods have selected.” Diana perked up; her mother reserved tournaments for special occasions, and Diana had enjoyed them immensely, both observing and participating. “Phillipus?”

“If you do not mind, my lady.” the captain of the royal guard said. “But I would like to abstain from this tournament; I do not believe I could keep myself reigned in if I were to visit the mortal realm.”

“I understand. Select twenty of your best warriors for the tournament, then report back to me so we may decide what the challenges shall be.”

“As you command, my lady." Phillipus saluted before looking to Alexa. "Alexa, with me; I shall need your knowledge and skills.”

“As you wish.” Alexa and Phillipus turned and began to leave. Diana watched them go before turning back to her mother.

“I suppose I should go get ready for the tournament.” She began to leave before Hippolyta spoke.

“No, Diana.” Diana stopped and looked at her mother. “I... This mission is incredibly risky, and most likely whoever wins the tournament will not return to Themyscira alive... Which is why you will not be competing in the tournament.” Diana’s spirits dropped.

“What?" she asked. "But... But that’s not fair! You said the gods would choose the champion; what if the champion is me?”

“Diana, you are young compared to most of the mares Phillipus will likely choose." Hippolyta started. "Ares isn’t just some monster that you can kill without a second thought; he is a god, and he will destroy you with ease. I cannot risk Ares killing you.”

“You stood up to Nightmare Moon," Diana countered. "Who’s to say I cannot face Ares?”

“Luna had been driven mad with her rage, and Athena saved both of us before Nightmare Moon could unleash the full of her power.”

“Then it doesn’t matter who you send. So what is it? I’m not expendable, but my sisters and friends are? That is the most selfish thing I have ever heard!”

“It may be selfish," Hippolyta's brow furrowed as she continued. "But I do not want you to compete in the tournament tomorrow.”

“But-”

“I said no, Diana. I don’t want to hear any more of this.” Hippolyta turned to the statue of Athena. “Now go. Make sure that Phillipus has not killed our prisoner.”

“But-” Diana stopped, glaring at her mother. She saw that arguing now would be pointless, as her mother was too set in her mind to back down. “Fine.” Diana turned and stormed out of the temple, brushing past several other Amazons that had come to pay their respects. She scanned the buildings in search of Phillipus, but the only pony she was was Alexa, the unicorn weighed down by several scrolls.

“Diana!” Alexa called. “I was just searching for your mother and... Are you alright?” Diana looked at Alexa. She wanted to stay mad, but the unicorn did not deserve any of her ire.

“My mother won’t let me compete in the tournament.” Diana muttered, looking away from Alexa.

“Really?” Alexa pawed at the ground. “That’s unlike her. I thought she loved to see you compete.”

“She’s worried that I might get myself killed if I went after Ares.” Alexa blinked in surprise.

“That’s... that’s a bit paranoid, don’t you think?”

“That's what I told her, but she didn't listen..." Diana sighed. "There must be some other reason my mother is holding out against me.”

“She is a mother; they tend to be very protective of their children. Why else do you think I avoid the phoenix nests as much as possible?” Diana paused, mulling over Alexa's words.

“I guess... I guess that makes sense.” Alexa nodded before continuing.

“Even so, she’s placing her own wishes before the will of the gods; doing so will only lead to her failure.”

“But what am I supposed to do?" Diana asked, tossing her hooves in the air as she turned away from Alexa. "I’ve already tried convincing her that she’s wrong, but she won’t listen to me.”

“Try harder?” Diana looked at Alexa, who merely shrugged. The two stood in silence before Alexa spoke again. “Actually, I am supposed to be competing in the tournament tomorrow.”

“You?” Diana laughed. “No offense, Alexa, but you are a scholar first, not a fighter. You told me that yourself.”

“True, but Phillipus chose me regardless. Anyway, I know a spell that will disguise you and allow you to compete in the tournament in my stead.” Diana raised an eyebrow, intrigued. Magic was a topic that she had long neglected for several reasons, not being a unicorn first and foremost. Perhaps now there was clear weakness in ignoring that aspect of knowledge.

“I never knew such spells existed.”

“I learned of it when I first began my journey as a seer. Athena herself learned it from a wise pony, a master of the sciences and a friend of gods. You will remain unseen, as long as you do not want to be seen, and this way you will be able to compete.”

"Really?" Diana all but hopped on her hooves. "How?"

"That I cannot say, for fear that your mother might overhear us," Alexa replied. "But trust me when I say that you will have no issue in competing tomorrow."

“I... I don’t know what to say.” Diana threw her forelegs around Alexa, hugging the unicorn. “Thank you so much!”

“It pleases me to make you happy.” Alexa broke away from the hug. “Now get some rest; you need to be strong for the tournament tomorrow.” Diana nodded before galloping off to the palace, her mind awash with thoughts about the upcoming competition.

As she neared the palace, though, her mind began to drift to the colt, Soarin’. Despite being a reasonably average mortal, there was still a sense of unnaturalness that surrounded him. The entire encounter had left Diana confused and intrigued, and she wished to know more about what was running through Soarin’s mind.

It would not hurt to ask him.

...................

Soarin’ was not in as much pain as he had been earlier in the day. If anything, he was more uncomfortable, but that was probably because his quarters were nothing more than a glorified broom closet. He had something soft to sleep on and a small table, but it was still a far cry from his home back in Cloudsdale.

Hopefully I’m not gone too long. he thought. Fleetfoot would be pretty upset if I didn’t show up to her wedding, and Firefly would probably kill me if I missed a practice. he paused. Well, she’d probably have a bunch of other reasons too. he sighed. Hopefully whoever gets to take me home tomorrow doesn’t try to- Soarin' was interrupted by the sound of somepony knocking at the door. He opened it and found himself face to face with a familiar red Earth Pony mare.

“Diana? What are you doing here?”

“I was just curious about you and wanted to ask a few questions.” she looked past him. “May I come in?”

“Oh, uh, of course.” Soarin’ stepped back and allowed Diana to enter. “What exactly was on your mind?”

“Many things.” Diana turned to face him. “You are the first colt I have ever met in my life. I just want to know more about you.”

“Oh, okay. Uh... anything specific?”

“You mentioned that you have had military experience.” she cocked her head to one side. “Does that mean you are a warrior?”

“Uh, well...” he searched for the right words to say. “I was in the military for a little bit, but I’m not anymore. I’m a member of the Wonderbolts now.”

“What are these ‘Wonderbolts’?”

“We’re a bunch of Pegasi that perform stunts for other ponies to enjoy, and occasionally we do rescue work.” he shuffled his hooves. “We’re... still working on the last part.”

“So, you perform tricks? You’re an entertainer?” she asked.

“I... I guess you could call us entertainers.” Soarin' replied. "It's a bit more complicated than that, but it seems like you get the basic idea."

“I tried my hoof at something similar when I was first trying to earn my cutie mark.” she blushed and looked away. “I... was not very good.”

“Hey, there’s a first time for everything.” Soarin’ chuckled. “You know, I never got a chance to see your cutie mark.” At this, Diana stiffened, and nervously pawed at the ground.

“Oh, um... well, it wouldn’t be very appropriate of me to show it to you. My mother told me that it was only appropriate for close family... or lovers.” Soarin’ blushed.

“Well, I guess that makes sense...”

“Is it different in Equestria?” Diana asked.

“Well... most ponies don’t wear clothes, and if they do it’s usually for special occasions.”

“Oh.” Diana was silent for about half a minute. “Do you have any other family?”

“I have a younger sister and mother who live in Canterlot. With my schedule with the Wonderbolts always being so hectic I don’t really get a chance to see them all that often.”

“That’s a shame. You must miss them very much.”

“Yeah... Yeah I do.” Soarin’ sighed. “I was going to ask for some leave to go visit them, but-”

“You ended up here?” Diana finished

“Well... yeah, more or less. I would have them come and visit in Cloudsdale, but my mother’s got a bad wing and can’t really fly that far.”

“Have you tried visiting an apothecary? I remember once I snapped my leg trying to jump over a large rock, and the apothecaries healed it so I was back to running within two days. Could they fix your mother’s wing?”

“No, I don’t think they could. It’s... I don’t know, some kind of genetic thing. My sister and I don’t have it, but it’s hard to see her struggling all the time.”

“I see.” more silence before Diana continues. “I hope you are not offended, but your homeland seems like a very strange place to live.”

“Yeah, Equestria can be pretty strange.” Diana chuckled.

“Well, I suppose I shall be seeing you at the tournament tomorrow.”

“Don’t really have much of a choice, do I? Are you competing?” Diana gave a wry smile.

“I’m not saying; you may tip off some of the others as to who they are up against. But I will say that the mare that wins will be a very lucky mare indeed.”

“Well, as long as it isn’t Miss ‘Throw a spear at my face’-”

“Who, Phillipus?” Soarin’ nodded. “She’s not competing; too many bad memories. And she’s a very nice pony once you get to know her.”

“I certainly hope so.” Diana chuckled again before opening the door. “Hey, Diana?”

“Yes?”

“I-If it isn’t too much to ask.” he paused. “Um, before I leave, do you think we could, y’know, talk again?” there was a long pause. Diana frowned in contemplation, looking away from Soarin’ before smiling.

“Yes... I would like that.” she smiled again and disappeared down one of the halls. Soarin’ closing the door behind her.

Whatever happened tomorrow, Soarin’ had no doubt that it was going to be exciting.

Author's Note:

The pony that Athena learned the cloaking spell from? His name was Jor-El.
In an earlier draft, Diana was less hostile towards Soarin'. That felt a little soft for someone who is the daughter of a warrior queen, so we have this.
Any guess as to what Diana's cutie mark is? I'm open to suggestions, because I only have a vague idea as to what it is.
Next chapter: the tournament. Will Diana's scheme pay off?
I don't own ponies or Wonder Woman. Likes and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.