• Published 14th May 2013
  • 3,295 Views, 24 Comments

Motherless Day - redmon77

  • ...
1
 24
 3,295

Motherless Day

Mother-less day

A short story by Skyguy757.

edited by Redmon Frosts and (sorta) SilentBrony

Inspired by the comic Mother-less Day by *MLP-Silver-Quill
http://mlp-silver-quill.deviantart.com/art/Mother-less-Day-371247410

She didn’t notice, or she didn’t want to notice. She kept her head down staring at the ground kicking her hoof into the dusty street while happy mothers enjoyed their special day with their children. She sat alone in the Apple Family stall while Apple Jack and Granny Smith attended to “Business”. She dug a small trench with her hoof as she mumbled to herself "Ah hate them. Ah hate ‘em all!" but as the words came out it hurt her. She looked up at the ponies in the street "No. No ah don’t hate ‘em. Ah’m sorry! Ah di’n’t mean ta say those things!" she said as if asking for forgiveness. "Ah don’t hate ‘em. Ah just…." Tears began to fill her eyes. "'s not fair!" she cried out. "’s just not fair!" she yelled as tears now poured down her face. She suddenly bolted off, darting between ponies legs and under tables. She rarely thought of her small size as an advantage, but today she didn’t care. She ran past the games, snack tables, and the many craft centers. Apple Bloom made her way through the tents to the outskirts of the fair. She kept running until she found herself under the shade of a small grove of trees. She made sure she was out of earshot before lying down and letting loose all her feelings. "Why me!?" she wailed over and over, her salty tears running into her mouth.

Time passed slowly as she lay in the grass letting the sun's warmth comfort her. She looked up to see the fair and the small parade making its way down the street. She saw floats made of flowers and roses and all of them being led by a pink pony with at least 6 instruments strapped to her. It was undoubtedly her big sisters friend, Pinkie Pie. She giggled for a moment and sniffled, but the brief distraction was over quickly as her eyes made their way to a large banner spanning across the street, the same banner she had helped make in school for the past two days. "Mother’s Day Fair" it read. It was saggy with glue and shone brightly with too much glitter that Sweetie Belle had insisted on. Seeing the banner was like a stab to her heart. The tears started falling again. "’Mother’s day’? More like ‘Motherless day’!" and with that she put her head into the thick grass and cried aloud. She didn’t care if anyone heard her. Nothing could change the way she felt right now.

"Do you hear that, Silver Spoon?" came a painfully frustrating voice.

"Yeah! Sounds like a whiny baby blank-flank!" replied another.

Apple Bloom quickly stood up, wiping her tears as she heard the two bullies giggle. "Hey, blank-flank! What’s wrong, blank-flank?" followed by more giggles.

"Go away!" Apple bloom said. The last thing she wanted was Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon to bother her.

"Awwww, but don’t you wanna play with us? Huh? Blllaaank-Flaaank?" Diamond Tiara made her way to the sniffling filly’s side.

Apple Bloom stared straight at the ground. "Aww, come on, Apple Bloom, you can tell your best fwiend Diamond," she said in a mocking baby tone. Soon Silver Spoon was on her other side.

She felt surrounded.

"Leave me alone! Ya’ll ain’t mah friends!" she yelled.

"Oh come on, Apple Blank!" Diamond sneered as she shoved Apple Bloom with her side.

Apple Bloom wasn’t ready for the shove and stumbled back before falling onto the grass. She looked up at Diamond Tiara who had a look of slight surprise on her face. She didn’t expect Apple Bloom to fall but that certainly wasn’t going to stop the two bullies’ ‘fun’.

Apple Bloom was weak and shaky from her long crying. As she got back up tears once again began to fill her eyes. She tried to stop them but it was hopeless as they slowly fell down her face. The two ponies began circling around her. She regretted straying from the fair. She wished she was with Apple Jack and Granny Smith.

"Awww, look, Silver Spoon. Apple Bloom has a boo-boo! Awwww, poor baby Apple Bloom" Diamond Tiara started giggling again. Apple Bloom looked at Diamond Tiara to see her laughing through her tear soaked eyes.

"Stop it, ah'm not in the mood today, Diamond." Apple Bloom muttered.

"Aww, you hear that, Silver? She doesn’t wanna play with us. But I think she’s just shy." And with that Diamond attempted to shove Apple Bloom again.

This time Apple Bloom was ready and got her footing. "Stop it!" cried Apple Bloom.

"What’s wrong, Baby Bloom? Can’t take a hit?!" Diamond Tiara was getting mean now, no more giggles. "Come on, Baby Bloom!" She shoved Apple Bloom again, this time making her fall to the ground. Diamond let out a long laugh. Silver Spoon also gave a small chortle but it didn’t have the same enthusiasm as her friend.

"Go away! Or… Or ah’ll-" Apple Bloom stuttered, the delay in her retort noticeable by the bullies.

"Or you'll do what? Huh?!" Diamond Tiara stuck her face into Apple Bloom's, interrupting her sentence. She shoved her again, this time harder than before and sending Apple Bloom back against the tree. Apple Bloom was no longer crying; her anger had taken hold, though, with what little of her will power remained, she fought back against the growing rage within her. She knew anything she did to hurt Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon would only get her in trouble. Apple Bloom knew that this was their plan: make her angry enough to shove back and on cue Diamond will start crying and run to her parents or Ms. Cheerilee.

She picked herself up and yelled at the top of her little lungs "Leave me alone!" Her strained voice came out like a squeak. The bullies laughed. Apple Bloom’s anger boiled up in her. The girls once again began circling her, singing one of the many rhymes designed to hurt her and her friends.

"What’re you gonna do about it, huh? Blank-Flank!? What are you going to do? Run to your mommy!?" with that Silver Spoon stopped circling Apple Bloom. She began backing away.

"Umm. Diamond, I don’t think-" Silver began.

"Who’s side are you on!? The Blank-Flank's!?" Diamond lashed back at her friend. Silver didn’t answer her. She just stood back and looked at the ground. "What you going to do about it blank-flank? Huh? Who is going to help you? Your mommy?" more giggles. Apple Blooms heart sank and tears started to fill her eyes.

"Stop right now an’ go away!" growled Apple Bloom through clenched teeth. Diamond laughed and continued to taunt her.

"You know what I think, silver?" Diamond said as she looked into Apple Blooms red, tear soaked eyes. Silver looked up and said in a soft timid voice "I think we should go". Diamond spoke over her in a loud voice. "I think that Apple Bloom’s mommy never died." She made her way behind Apple Bloom as she continued her circle. "I think she left her! I think she couldn’t stand having a worthless Blank-Flank so she left her!" Apple Bloom’s rage couldn’t be held back, and before she knew what she had done, Diamond Tiara was kicked back and thrown down the hill. Silver Spoon winced as she watched Diamond tumble down the hill into a small muddy pond. Apple Bloom had bucked her harder than she had meant to. She never wanted to hurt her, and with fear controlling her mind, Apple Bloom ran, tears running down her cheeks and obscuring her vision all the way back to the fair. She heard Diamond Tiara scream for Silver Spoon who wasn't coming to her aid, but instead walking away.

Apple Bloom ran up to the back of the tents and cried then bit her lower lip almost enough to pierce her skin. Almost an hour had past and she had calmed herself down enough to risk leaving the protection of the tents in search of her grandmother. She found the old mare quickly over at the Apple Family treat stand. She felt a twinge of relief and made her way under Granny Smith where she began sobbing against the elder’s leg. Granny Smith finished her business selling two apple pies and turned her attention to the filly.

"There, there, dumpli'n. ’s ok. Ah'm here." Apple Bloom nuzzled her leg as Granny sat down. "Now, Ah know life can be tough." Apple Bloom’s sobs were drawn out and heavy. Granny used her other arm to stroke Apple Bloom’s back "Ye remin’ me a lot of yer Ma, ye know?" Apple Bloom looked up to see granny's reassuring grin before returning to the comfort of her embrace. "She di’n’t git her mark ‘til a year older than ye are now. She was made fun of sometimes, but she di’n’t let that bother her none, no ma'am. She went right on up t’ them fillies an’ spoke ‘er mind, she did." She paused, looking down to see if Apple Bloom was paying attention. The filly simply sniffled once, looking up with drying eyes. "An’ ye know wha’ happened, dumpli'n?"

Apple Bloom looked up and said in a soft voice "wha’ happened?"

Granny chuckled. "She talked ‘em up so bad that they got a mind not t’ mess wit’ her or else. An’ she made sure t’ let everypony know she had one of th’ strongest bucks in class." Apple Bloom sniffled and started to smile a little. "Now, yer Ma never did do anythin’ but once when another filly got a little too rough on ‘er. Started pushin’ yer mother aroun’ she was. Yer Ma di’n’t take too kindly t’ that. An’ one thing led t’ another. She ran away from school that day an’ came t’ her momma cryin’, a lot like ye did jus’ now." Apple Bloom wiped her face "Wha’ happened? Did th’ other filly stop? Did Ma git in trouble?"

"Oh no. The teasin’ from th’ other filly di’n’t stop, but she never did tease yer Ma quite as much ag’in. An’ it all stopped the next summer when she got her cutie mark. An’ now for yer Ma.“ Granny let out a sharp laugh “Oh Yes, she got punished. She had t’ wash th’ pigs everyday for two weeks an’ go without desert ‘til her time was done. But she di’n’t mind; she was a smart filly an’ knew that her actions had consequences. She di’n’t even complain once."

Apple Bloom giggled and hugged Granny tightly. The old pony’s bones creaked as she grabbed an apple tart from the table and put it in front of Apple Bloom. Apple Bloom took a bite out of the sweet pastry and sniffled. Granny smith laughed. "Ye had better enjoy that tart something, good now!" Apple Bloom looked up at her as if to ask why. Granny smith bopped her nose with hers and said "’cause it’s yer last sweet for th’ next week".

Apple Bloom had a light smile as she asked “Granny, how did ya know?”

With a soft smile Granny leaned in close and said “Apple Bloom, a mother always knows.”

Author's Note:

As stated in the description, I am not the original author. all credit goes to Skyguy757. I honestly hope you enjoyed it. please comment and voice your opinions.

Skyguy757- To clear things up.
SPOILERS

In this story Apple Bloom learns a few lessons. First of all, she learns that not everypony can be respectful and are not afraid to use your weaknesses against you.
Even though I made Diamond Tiara to look really mean I like to think she learned a lesson too, the same lesson the other filly learned in Granny Smiths story. I also personally think that Silver Spoon isn't as mean as Diamond. I think Silver follows her around mostly because she is scared of her, a lot like Babs Seed, but with still less integrity.

Secondly Apple Bloom learns a bit about her mother, and how she and her are alike in a way. I like to think that this gives her comfort and motivates her to follow in her footsteps. She also learns a lesson that even if it (the fight) is not entirely her fault, she is still responsible and will take her punishment with an understandable attitude, even with a smile.

Most Importantly she learns this lesson on Mothers Day. Even though Granny is old and tired, she has been with Apple Bloom, Big Mack, and Apple Jack there entire lives taking care of them. And after the parents died, I think she took on the responsibility of a mother, even if she is starting to go a little crazy, once a mother always a mother.

Comments ( 24 )

Cute story, but I dont understand the end :derpyderp1:

Is It a symbolic phrase, or is Granny Smith the real mother of Applebloom, Aj and Big Mac?

i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/stryke81/MLP/chrysalis_wut_by_loopuleasa-d4xunm7png.jpg

2575498

She is a Mother from her Mother. And a Mother has always this "Super-Special-Ability" what all Mothers have^^

2575538

Good :derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2:

My bad, I'm not motherlenguage english, and Apple Family's speak are pretty hard for me and often I don't understand the things :twilightsheepish:

Why does this have a alternate universe tag? I don't see anything that contradict the show.

Its symbolic in that even tho Granny Smith isn't their biological mother, she has been a mother to them since their parents death.

2575845
Yeah.. I don't know why it was there... Got it off tho.

:applecry: why would you even write something so sad?

wéééééééh

Comment posted by redmon77 deleted May 14th, 2013

That was a good one :)

2575678
Same for me...

My English is not the best, but for reading is it enough^^

2576164

Ditto

I'm italian, you?

>>Eden
>>Sky Hooves
please message eachother for a conversation. #non-hostile

*cracks neck* come mr. filthy me and you are going to be hvaing a long discussion about your foal and how you should be teaching her respect for the dead.

2576363
Hoh my gawd...that was cute

Excellent story. Sweet and a bit sad, but with a heartwarming ending. Accolades to this Skyguy757; you've earned them. :ajsmug:

Only caught one or two errors, so good work to whoever proofread the story.

This almost gave me the feels.... I HATE the feels.... :fluttershbad:

Dear Diamond Tiara,

You just got served by Apple Bloom. Unlike you Silver Spoon has the ability of changing her ways. You will never.

5839373 Ahahahaha...funny you say that...(looks to the side awkwardly):twilightoops:

7815147 I said that 89 weeks ago, but yeah. It's true. :rainbowlaugh: The improbability happened.

that was just mean diamond tiara, really hurtful to applebloom

Login or register to comment