• Published 13th May 2013
  • 2,214 Views, 43 Comments

Bionicle: The Magic of Light - MicroChip



While jumping between dimensions, Takanuva, Toa of Light, finds himself in a world unlike any other.

  • ...
3
 43
 2,214

A Chronicler's Legacy

The pink pony with the yellow hair in front of Takanuva screamed for a long time, long after the others had run out of breath, and resorted to staring at him in shock. The Toa frowned at the situation, which was obviously going nowhere. Part of him wanted to simply knock it out so it would stop annoying him, but he reminded himself that it was doing no harm, and he probably was one of the scariest things it had ever seen. Dark thoughts had become much more prevalent since part of his light had been drained, but he refused to give into them. He instead allowed the pony to empty its impossibly large lungs, and then tried to comfort it.
“It’s all right, I’m not dangerous. I’m just…”
The Toa was cut off by the pony fainting at the sight of him holding out his hand. He quickly withdrew the limb and turned to the cyan pegasus floating next to him. She looked like she was unsuccessfully attempting to hide her laughter at the misfortune of the unconscious pony. Takanuva glared at her momentarily before looking about at the silent crowd gathered around him.
“I’m sorry if my appearance frightens you.” Not that there’s anything I can do about it. “I don’t mean any harm, and I’m only just passing through. I shouldn't be in your village for very long.”
The crowd seemed to relax slightly at his assurance, but still refused to come any closer. That is, except for one that seemed to fly over the heads of everyone else. At first, he thought the bright pink blur to be a pegasus like Rainbow Dash. However, after being tackled to the ground by it, the Toa of Light found the pony that was now standing on his chest to be lacking in wings. He never got the chance to ponder how that worked when the poofy pink thing began jabbering intensely.
“Hello, you must be new here. Of course, he's new here, silly Pinkie, or you’d know him. Not to mention that there’s no way you could be from here. You’re not even from Equestria, are you? Who are you, by the way? I’m Pinkie Pie, and it’s the hugest pleasure to meet you! How did you get here? Where exactly are you from? How’s your mega-huge robot home?”
Rainbow looked like she wasn't going to help, so Takanuva had no choice but to put his hand over the pink chatterbox’s mouth. The immediate silence was jarring. The Toa was unable to catch most of what was said, but did his best to sort out what he thought he heard.
“I’m Takanuva, and it’s nice to meet you to, Pinkie. And…huge robot home?”
Pinkie gasped. “You live in a huge robot home? That’s so awesomely awesome!”
“No I don’t, I…you’re the one that said it.”
She cocked her head to the side in confusion, making it evident she had no idea what he was talking about. He shook his head, beginning to doubt he’d herd it in the first place. The pink pony jumped lightly onto the ground.
“You like parties don’t you? Nopony doesn't love a good party.”
Takanuva couldn't help smiling at the question. Several Le-Matoran could testify to his love of celebrations. Pinkie Pie obviously took the grin as the confirmation she was waiting for, as she immediately ran off, disappearing in the same fashion she'd first approached him. The Toa turned to see a snickering pegasus next to him.
“What's so funny?”
Rainbow Dash waved him off with one hoof while using the other to cover her mouth.
“Nothing. You're just in for it, now.”
He honestly had no idea if he should have been excited or concerned.

*********************************

Takanuva followed the blue pegasus to the tree-house he'd noticed earlier without further incident. Ponies still stared at him when he went past, but Pinkie's acceptance seemed to have triggered something among the population. This type of reaction he could handle, as him and his fellow Matoran had all looked at Tahu the same way when the Toa of Fire first appeared on Mata Nui. It wasn't a look of fear, but curiosity.
If the Toa was intending to be polite when they reached the library, he wasn't given a chance. Before the Toa could knock, his pony companion threw the door open and flew inside, showing no respect for the inhabitants.
“Twilight! You here?"”
Takanuva shook his head before following her into the building, ducking down to fit through the doorway.
The interior was unlike anything he'd ever seen before, the walls covered top to bottom with shelves of...something.
He looked closer at the strange objects that occupied every available space the shelves offered. They were all unique in size and color, but it was obvious that they were all the same thing. He picked a large green one up to get a closer look. It appeared to be two pieces of stiff material holding together a large amount of sheets of some sort. It was filled with what he recognized to be writing and illustrations, but he couldn't understand what it said, making the Toa wish for Turaga Nokama's Mask of Translation. Most of the pictures did seem to consist of plants of some kind, but none the Toa had ever seen before.
“Are natural remedies popular where you're from?”
Takanuva spun around in surprise at the new voice, looking sheepishly at the purple pony gazing at him with a slight sense of wonder
“Not necessarily.”
“If they were, then Supernaturals is a fine choice of reading material.”
He looked down at the object he clutched and slowly put it back on the shelf. Since the Toa wasn't readily speaking, the pony took the initiative and jumped into questioning.
“What are you, and where did you come from? Why are you here? What can you do? Why are you covered in armor? Does your culture actively support warfare? How...”
Takanuva held up a hand, causing the pony's mouth to clamp shut, and its face to turn bright red. She was almost as bad as Pinkie. But at least this one got the hint that she was talking just a little too much. She seemed more intelligent than most, judging by here questions, so he allowed himself a little smile. If he played it right, he'd be able to get something he desperately needed: information. Hopefully, he'd be able to give exactly the same thing in return.
“I'll start off with the basic facts. My name is Takanuva. I'm a Toa of Light.”
The pony's yes lit up with more questions at the statement, but he held out his hand again to indicate he wasn't finished.
“I'm from another dimension, and I need to get back to it as soon as possible.”
She bit her lips in an attempt to hold back the flood of questions waiting to burst out, but managed to keep her eagerness in check.
“I have a lot of questions, and I know you do as well.”
He thought back to something Turaga Nuju had taught him during his days as a Chronicler. It was one of the best ways he know of for two individuals to learn things from each other.
“I propose a solution. A question for a question. I'll answer one of your questions, and then you'll answer one of mine. We repeat the process until we're both satisfied. Sound fair?”
She nodded in reply, a smile replacing the grimace she used to prevent herself from overwhelming the Toa with questions.
“I think I can do that. I guess my first question is: what's a Toa?”
Takanuva smiled, falling back into the familiar feeling Takua the Chronicler enjoyed when telling a story. He would have no problem doing this.
********************************************
The sun had set long ago, and Rainbow Dash had fallen asleep on top of a shelf earlier, but neither fact bothered Takanuva or the pony, who he now knew to be the ‘Twilight’ Rainbow Dash was looking for. The Toa's method of alternating questions had worked surprisingly well, and they both had a decent idea of how the other's world worked. While she'd been happy to provide facts, Takanuva sometimes found them to be rather boring, so the Chronicler inside kicked in and he began telling stories about his adventures and those of the Toa Nuva, his latest one being when he became a Toa and confronted Makuta for the safety of everyone on Mata Nui.
“That's when we discovered the way back to Metru Nui, which is where everyone lives now.”
Twilight shook her head.
“Everything you talk about seems impossible. An island under an island? That doesn't seem possible.”
“Yea...I try not to think about it myself. Besides, you're the one with strange stories. A being of pure chaos? I thought I had a hard time with Shadows.”
“You seem to be taking everything better than most,” replied the unicorn, “Many ponies have trouble even accepting the idea of the Elements of Harmony.”
Takanuva laughed and shook his head.
“I've seen the power of unity do some amazing things before. And most of the things in your world have strong resemblances to mine. Celestia and Luna sound like your version of Mata Nui, there are different races each with their own powers and abilities, and the core of your civilization seems to operate on the same three virtues as mine.”
Twilight's ears perked up the mention of the three virtues. Takanuva had referenced them several times, but she'd never gotten around to asking what they actually were. Her quizzical look was enough for the Toa.
“Unity, duty, destiny,” he said, almost reverently, not even focused on the pony anymore.
“I suppose. I've never really thought of it like that. Kind of catchy.”
The Toa shrugged in reply, beginning to feel just how tired he was. He couldn't remember the last time he'd gotten a proper rest. He'd been awake for several days now, hardly stopping during his journey through different universes, and it probably showed. Twilight's yawn indicated that she felt the same way, even if she tried to hide it. She opened her moth to say something, but Takanuva cut her off.
“I believe it would be for the best if we both got some rest.”
The unicorn began to protest but another yawn ruined her argument. She sighed and pulled herself to her hooves.
“I'd offer you the guest bed, but I doubt you'd fit.”
Takanuva shook his head.
“Thank you, but I'll be fine down here.”
Twilight raised an eyebrow at the comment.
“But there's nothing for you to sleep on. The couch is still too small.”
She gestured to the cushioned furniture she'd spent most of the evening lounging on. Takanuva laughed as he lay back on the floor.
“Believe me I've slept on much worse than this.”
Twilight gaped at the Toa several times before shaking her head and began climbing the stairway, muttering to herself the whole way.
Takanuva watched the pony until she was out of sight, his mind still processing everything they'd discussed over the course of the evening. While this was definitely the most different universe from any of the others he'd visited, it still seemed to be connected to his own. Pony culture could easily compare to that of the Matoran, and the ‘magic’ Twilight spoke of strongly resembled the elemental powers welded by Toa back home. But instead of making the world easier to accept, the similarities only presented more questions.
Were there counterparts to the Great Beings here? Would the magical energy here have an effect on his own powers? Most importantly, was there a way for him to get back to his own reality? The odds of a Kanohi Olmak existing were nonexistent, and Twilight had told him earlier that an inter-dimensional spell had never been heard of before.
His heart beginning to feel heavy at the thought, the Toa of Light lowed himself to drift off to sleep, feeling further from home than ever before.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the wait.
As requested, I'm now doing longer chapters. I kind of prefer it this way, myself.