• Published 12th May 2013
  • 563 Views, 10 Comments

Really Bad Fanfics: Love Thy Enemy - Wolfboy183



Octavia must choose between Vinyl Scratch or her masters at the Equestria Music Conservatory, who want to capture and kill Vinyl Scratch, whose music they believe is blasphemy

  • ...
13
 10
 563

Forbidden Love

Ever since the day Octavia moved into Vinyl’s apartment, it had been her home for years, and the two of them forged a unique, stormy, yet solid relationship. They quickly learned they disliked each other’s music, and yet one tried to get the other to appreciate her music. Vinyl Scratch found the classical music boring as hell, and dubstep irritated the hell out of Octavia and gave her killer headaches. Octavia preferred tame, calm crowds, where Vinyl liked the high energy jump-up-and-down crowds who thumped the floor to her beats.

But at the end of the day, their love, which Octavia figured even the best trained physicists and biologists in Equestria couldn’t figure out, brought them back together and they spent many days and nights together in bed, nestled up with one another. Their relationship became typical, and the two became complicit in each other’s stark differences.

In their year together, Vinyl had shown Octavia an entirely new world, and she showed her how to live and work safely in Manehattan, and get along with the ponies here. To help keep her safe, Vinyl had her bodyguards keep a watch on Octavia too, and keep the Consortium agents away. As for Octavia, she eventually forgot all about the Consortium, and it’s threats.

Manehattan was like a cake. A half rotten cake. It was a pristine city, with hard working ponies, the elite, and the socialites. Manehattan had a wonderful musical community which the Conservatory adored for its classical tastes.

Then again the city’s underside was very seedy. The underground was plagued with crime and filth, inhabited and frequented by ponies who didn’t subscribed to the tenets of ‘normalcy.’ Crime, drugs, and prostitution were rampant, but many ponies sought escape from their mundane day jobs frequented the massive nightclubs where the DJ ponies played their dubstep, electronic, and techno ‘music’

Vinyl performed in the smaller clubs. Though not as famous, she was well liked by her audiences. Vinyl loved to spin, and she couldn’t get through a day without creating, remixing, or spinning music. At home, the unicorn spent much of her time spinning, or lying on a beanbag chair spaced out with those huge headphones on. She was more obsessed about her music than Octavia was passionate about hers.

The only time Octavia got to spend with Vinyl was when Vinyl dragged her to the clubs and concerts. Octavia was not a crowd pony, nor did she like loud noise, especially that synthetic ‘music’ Vinyl played out to the fans.

+ + +

A few weeks ago, Octavia got an idea: a new home in a small town for her and Vinyl. She looked up listings from several towns, and aimed for the prestigious town of Ponyville, home to only 4000. She performed there and throughout the county several times with many orchestral groups. Ponyville was her favorite place to go in that region. She could perform every few days to the locals. And she would get her much needed alone time with Vinyl.

Octavia brought up the idea during lunch one day.

“Ponyville?” Vinyl chirped, as she took a swig from juice carton. “Never heard of it.”

Octavia didn’t react. She hated Vinyl’s lack of manners. She told her a thousand times to pour the juice into a glass, then drink it. She cringed when Vinyl let out a loud disgusting belch. Vinyl looked at her, then said, “Excuse me.” At least she tried sometimes with the household manners. ++

Octavia rarely succeeded in getting Vinyl to come out to one of her performances, perhaps once or twice a month, but as Vinyl admitted, the ‘mundane and sadistically boring classic music’ was agony for her, and she was bored as hell at Octavia’s concerts. But when at home Vinyl did put in effort to listen to new pieces Octavia composed. Then she always commented, “We should remix that!”
“Why do you always see the need to remix my music? Why not take it for what it is?” Octavia protested.
“That will put me to sleep if I don't kill myself already!”

Granted, Vinyl Scratch didn’t have the best social skills, a lacking that obviously explained her rudeness or lack of courtesy. She burped, she farted, walked around the house with her headphones, dragging the cables everywhere, she left the bathroom and kitchen in a mess, and she loafed all over the place. She was a strange one. Vinyl hardly ever appreciated a day when Octavia dragged her out of the house for a simple walk around Sunrise Park, or to one of the little streetside cafes, unless she had her blasted headphones around her neck. The music was her addiction; Octavia’s nightmare. Vinyl once told her that music was the most important thing in her life, and she needed it as much as air, water, and food. Though Vinyl loved her, the music was non-negotiable in their relationship. she’d never give it up, not even for her.

And Octavia had somewhat limited success in teaching Vinyl some of the basic courtesies, and thankfully, Vinyl obliged. Sometimes when she wasn’t too carried away with things.

“Which would you rather have? Me, or the dubstep?” Octavia demanded during one of their heated arguments.
“What are you talking about, Octie? I’m not giving up my music, and I sure as hell won’t give you up either! I’m not trading you for the music. I’ll take both,” Vinyl said with a scoff. Then she pounced on her and kissed her. Octavia knew full well that Vinyl hated angry confrontations, and did whatever to throw her off and diffuse her anger, such as sudden steamy makeout sessions. Octavia grudgingly admitted to herself that Vinyl got her everytime. Her love for Vinyl and her need for Vinyl’s love for her always got the best of her.

Octavia always asked herself, even now on the train as she reminisced, why the bloody rotten hay was she with a unicorn like Vinyl anyway? She thought of an odd couple in Ponyville: a loony crazy unicorn named Lyra, and her stern proper counterpart, Bon Bon. She had been to Ponyville enough times to take note of some of its inhabitants. When she first met Lyra, she had no idea why Bon Bon was her girlfriend. Now that oddity made sense.

She and Vinyl were polar opposites. In another parallel universe, the two of them probably tried to kill each other. They couldn’t stand each other’s music, and yet, they couldn’t be without each other. The polarity in musical differences made the relationship hot and bumpy with uncounted disputes and arguments, but the bond that the universe forged between them kept them together like high powered magnets.

Octavia sadly reflected, that throughout her life, from her upbringing in proper high Canterlot society, to her 15 years of education in the Conservatory and at the finishing school for young mares, and throughout her young career as a classical celloist, nearly everypony she met was kind, polite, well mannered, and cordial, but in the same tune, very cold. She noted during her performances on stage from her looking at the audience, couples hardly touched one another or shared a single move of affection. Such animalistic behavior was considered primitive and beneath their standards. Sure she had friends and mentors, but nopony, not even her parents ever provided her that loving warmth that Vinyl Scratch had. She was psychologically deprived and she never even knew it until she ran into Vinyl, who showed her a new world of closeness, love and intimacy. She craved it, and she needed it, like a drug. She also questioned her own educated thoughts in which the Music Consortium’s morality forbade such things.

That is why Octavia tolerated Vinyl’s infernal ‘music.’ That’s why she joined her onstage in the clubs when Vinyl was hardly ever home. The best times were when both were at home together, and they cuddled and slept together. Vinyl admitted once a long time ago that lying in bed with her was the only time she could take off the headphones and finally rest. Octavia happily noted that Vinyl needed her as much as she needed Vinyl, and that she wouldn’t get tossed away for the music.

+ + +

A few months earlier, during a brief stay at the Conservatory, Octavia was searching class records when she stumbled across Vinyl’s. She was more than surprised that Vinyl Scratch also came from the Conservatory. Turns out she was born in Canterlot and placed in the Conservatory’s boarding school at only 3 years of age. The names of her parents were inked out. Hidden from view of the librarians, Octavia pulled out the folder and skimmed through the stacks of reports that spanned twelve years- Vinyl’s fillyhood.

It turns out she was difficult, not rebellious, just different and hard to reach. She was finally expelled from the Conservatory, and removed from Canterlot at the tender age of 15.

When she got home, it took some effort to coax Vinyl to talk about her life at the Conservatory. Vinyl was not one to talk about her problems; she’d rather drown them out in her music. One day, something happened, and the power cut out, cutting off the music, and Vinyl had a nervous breakdown. After her rage fit, Octavia entered the room and tried to comfort her. She got her talking, and all at once, Vinyl Scratch spilled the beans and cried it out.

She told her tales of abuse and maltreatment by the teachers, who tried to repress her oddities with brutal discipline and such. The two of them spent the day on the cable strewn floor of her ‘wub’ room, leaned up against the silent speakers. Vinyl’s upset triggered her own memories of harshness she endured during her own upbringing at the Conservatory, and she cried a bit too.

Then, the cathartic session was ended when the power came back on and the music resumed. Vinyl snapped back to her normal self and acted as though nothing happened.

+ + +

Despite all this, Octavia was still loyal to the Conservatory, and she tried to keep her relationship with Vinyl Scratch, one of its most wanted felons, a secret. That didn’t last long, and resulted in her meeting with Sgt. Maroon Blackhoof.

The Conservatory came calling.She was terrified. Not of being shunned and executed, but of losing Vinyl Scratch. Sure she was told they’d reform Vinyl, but how much would she be changed? Would she become another cold b*** like all the other mares who prance around Canterlot? Would she still be affectionate and loving? How would they reform her?

It was a gamble she decided she had to take. Vinyl Scratch without the crazy racket music. Octavia entertained the idea. She knew she was the subordinate one in the relationship, and Vinyl was on top. She never liked that. But if she refused to obey her orders, she would also face death. Rather than that, she’d gamble on Vinyl Scratch being captured and reformed.

Comments ( 10 )

"Cellist"

Gear #2 · May 13th, 2013 · · 4 ·

Your second story I've seen today.

Even more wildly out of character than the other one.

Murderous Secret Music Police?

Really?

2569205 i was working on these for a while and they're two separate stories. killer music secret police, why not?:pinkiecrazy:

Comment posted by Gear deleted May 14th, 2013

2569205 refer to my blog post. Btw where are your stories? At least I posted one on here.

2569205
Who's out of characters?:rainbowhuh:
Octavia and Vinyl never said a single word in the show. They both barely had between 30 and 60 sec of screen time!

I admit that the introduction of the secret police thing could have been done better...(kinda weird that so many ponies seems to know about it and don't anything against it:pinkiecrazy:).. But it's kinda original. (don't think it has ever been done before).

Not really into that kind of story, but I'm intrigued with what's going to happen... SO I'm tracking this.:twilightsmile:
But, if it ends differently than Octavia and Vinyl destroying that secret police to live happily ever after and make tons of small fillies and colts by the magic of love thingy....We're going to have a serious problem :ajbemused: (just kidding:derpytongue2::raritywink:)

Comment posted by Gear deleted May 14th, 2013

This is certainly not a bad story. I admit it's not something that draws my particular interest, but that's just a matter of my own taste. I can definitely see the appeal it would have to other people if they actually bothered to read it instead of downvoting it automatically. Nowhere near as bad as these people are making it out to be and definitely not deserving of its low rating.

2574682 I thank you for your kind words, and your appreciation despite its not to your tastes. :scootangel:

2571410 ok, pointless? there is a point: I'm writing it for my own enjoyment and for the minority who seem to like it. There's a point, your argument is invalid. Way to trample on a new fic writer pal.
By the way thanks for the idea about the fashion. I'll get right on that and let you know if I post it. :D

and i didnt say i was better than you by posting something. Then again it's the internet where all one's carefully picked arguments can be easily ignored or turned into other things and thrown back.

Login or register to comment