• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 6,683 Views, 388 Comments

My Little Pony: The Entities of Emotion - Michael_Ravencroft



Willpower, Hope, Compassion, and Love must battle Rage, Fear, and Avarice to protect their new home.

  • ...
12
 388
 6,683

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 22: A heart filled with AVARICE!

Spike the dragon, for as long as he’s been on this green world of Equus, has never had the opportunity to actually interact with his fellow dragons. Oh sure, there was that time he went on a journey during the Great Dragon Migration, but his time spent there amongst the teenage dragons was…less than helpful. It really didn’t help him learn anymore about his heritage or where he came from. But that didn’t really matter too much; he decided that he was going to live the life of a pony, like that of his surrogate sister, and/or mother figure depending on the event of the day, Twilight Sparkle.

But sometimes, there were things that a young male drake couldn’t talk about with a mare, sister figure or not, even talking to stallions he knew wouldn’t be much help, that is, until he met a friend in Ophidian. It was a stroke of luck that the orange dragon saved him from being a hostage of the Diamond Dogs, and agreed to be his friend. For a while now, the two of them met in secret, of course, he didn’t have to keep it secret, he just thought that, given Twilight and Rainbow Dash’s last encounter with a teenage dragon, they would be less inclined to allow Spike to see Ophidian. Having pony friends was nice, but it didn’t hurt to hang out with one of his own kind, especially one that was willing to let him be there in his cool cave.

Speaking of which, Spike was making his usual jaunt to Ophidian’s place. Spike recognized this cave, it was hard not to, since it was the one where he almost got killed by a large green dragon. Funny thing though, that dragon was gone. Ophidian had told Spike that he and the dragon had a little “dragon negotiation” in which Ophidian won the cave, and its contents.

Spike entered the cave, seeing the glow of gold and sparkling jewels further down. When he got closer, Spike saw the huge mounds of gold, along with some strange crystals that he had never seen before. He had once asked where Ophidian had gotten them, to which he replied, “Sssome cave far away from here. They looked cool ssso I took them.” Spike noticed that the teenage dragon had a strong hoarding instinct, and was surprised that he hadn’t gone full grown dragon like he had.

Once past most of the mounds of gold, Spike saw Ophidian munching on some jewels, along with some fruit, and…was that a fish?

“Spike, was wondering when you’d ssshow up,” said Ophidian.

“Sorry dude, I got held up with uh…some…chores.” Spike winced, preparing himself to be bombarded with teases.

“Oh, no big then, you’re here now, so let’sss get started.”

Spike let out a sigh of relief and walked side by side with Ophidian, it was then that he mentally face palmed himself… I keep forgetting, Ophidian is different. Come to think of it, he’s never made fun of me for living with Twilight, or doing chores…

“Sssomething on your mind Spike?” Ophidian asked.

Spike was snapped out of his reverie and looked up at the orange dragon, “Oh no! Nothing’s wrong at all, it’s just…well…I just noticed that, ever since we first met, and every time we’ve met after that, you’ve never made fun of me for being raised by ponies.”

Ophidian shrugged. “I don’t sssee much point in it; one can’t help who they are raised by more often than naught. You seem happy enough, doesss there need to be a reason why that should be a cause for mockery?”

Spike shook his head, “No, I just, I told you about the other dragons I met, and they didn’t exactly think much of me when they found out…”

“Humph, fools the whole lot. It takes a critical and discerning to see the value in another object or living thing. And you, Spike, have such an eye.”

“T-Thanks dude.”

“We’re here.”

Spike and Ophidian were a good ways into the cave. There were scorch marks all over the place, some were just that, but others appeared as if a hole had been bored into them by pure flames. “I’m glad you wanted me to help train you in ssstrengthening your dragon fire, but tell me, why is that exactly?

Spike sighed heavily. “During the times I’ve gone with Twilight and her friends on an adventure, I usually just end up getting in the way, or having to be saved by them. And when I try to use my dragon fire, it usually…it either does what I want it to do or doesn’t! Sometimes it’ll come out a big torrent or just a spark, and not always the latter when my friends are in trouble! I want to be able to protect them, even if I’m not as big and strong as other dragons, my fire is one of the things I can use to contribute!”

Ophidian raised his claws in a placating manner. “Alright, alright, sssimmer down Spike. I understand. But, you will have to learn more than just how to use your fire, we dragons boast tremendous physical strength, I could help get you in tune with that as well.”

“I’d like that, but let’s do the fire training first.”

Spike stood at attention and saluted the orange dragon. “Yes sir!”

Spike was huffing and panting, the cave had been painted with new scorch marks, some still smoldering. For the past hour, Spike had been able to more than double the size of his fire blasts, as well as their duration and range. Their intensity varied though, some could melt straight through a rock, and others just toasted the surface. This, in Spike’s opinion, wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, if he ever needed to scare someone or something away and not hurt them, such a flame would work better. But he was getting better at controlling the intensity, it just took a little more of his inner magic to make it stronger, and of course it was a little more draining than sending a message.

All the while, Ophidian stood by, arms crossed, watching as Spike worked hard to better his greatest weapon of defense. At the same time, Ophidian was seeing more and more of the inner dragon that Spike was afraid to bring out, but little by little, Ophidian was determined to break the beast within free, and then the young drake would become a suitable host for him.

Still, I need sssomething to bring forth that inner creature. Hmm, I wonder…?

“Spike, let usss take a break, no point in continuing when you’re this exhausted.”

Spike more than happily agreed, waddling over to sit on a flat surfaced rock. Ophidian tossed the drake a large jewel to munch on, it pained him to give anything away, but, he reasoned, it was all for a much bigger payoff later. Ophidian had taken quite the liking to eating jewels, among other things; it never occurred to him that he could actually eat his treasure. Downside to that he could potentially eat everything he had hoarded and be left with nothing, forcing him to go out and take more, but at the same time running the risk of eating it like the first. It was a deliciously vicious cycle, and perfectly suited for an Entity of Avarice.

“Ssso, Spike, how goes things with that mare you were telling me about? What was her name? Oh yes, Rarity!”

Spike choked on the bit of gemstone he was eating upon mentioning of the unicorn mare. After gagging for a good ten seconds, Spike managed to swallow the remainder and compose himself shortly thereafter.

“R-Rarity well – I mean – I’ve tried but,” Spike sighed remorsefully, “Ophidian, I…I’m starting to think I don’t stand a chance with her…”

The orange looked at him curiously, “Now why’sss that? Was not part of this training for her sake as well as your caretaker and her friends?”

“It still is, but, Rarity still won’t see me as anything than her ‘little Spikey-Wikey’ to be honest, I liked it, but now it’s starting to get annoying. I used to take it as just her pet name for me, but now I’m starting to think she doesn’t take my feelings seriously…”

Ophidian eyed Spike, but not physically, he read his aura, seeing the slight tinge of orange light sparking at the mere mention of that mare’s name. But, there was another that this light hungered for, and it was these two, Ophidian believed, were the key to unlocking his full potential.

“Was there another you were telling me about, an earth pony filly?”

“Oh, you mean Apple Bloom…” Spike’s cheeks flushed a bit about thinking of her. “I don’t know, she’s cute, she can be a clawful sometimes, but she’s kind, easy to talk to, and really hardworking since she found her special talent, and loyal to her friends. I…I think she like-likes me…but…I still have feelings for Rarity. You must think I’m weird.”

“And why’s that?”

“I’m talking about dating ponies, I mean; I’ve grown up around them my whole life. Twilight thinks that’s the reason I’m more attracted to mares than dragonesses, but then again, I’ve never seen a dragoness, so I wouldn’t know…And because, well, I kinda want them both…”

It was here that Ophidian smiled, “And that’s bad becaussse why? If you care for two, and want them both, why not take them both?”

Spike blushed as his mind entertained a fantasy of himself, Rarity, and Apple Bloom all in a relationship. It was a thought that filled him with mixed emotions, shame for clinging onto Rarity at the expense of Apple Bloom’s feelings, disappointment for choosing such a cowardly way of being with either one of them, but there was also intrigue, both had qualities that Spike liked, and he did enjoy being around the both of them. Maybe it wasn’t such a farfetched idea after all…

“Break time’sss over, strength training is next.”

“Oh boy…”


(Golden Oaks Library)

“You can put your hoof there Rainbow Dash it’s okay.”

“Are you sure Squirt, I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Trust me, you are in good hooves Scootaloo, I’m more worried about Twilight being over me right now.”

“It can’t be helped Adara, you’re too small for me to be under, I have a better vantage point if I’m on top!”

Spike was standing outside the door to the library with a mortified expression on his face. He had yet to open the door, but hesitated to do so. Listening from his spot in front of it, and hearing all the weird things that the mares and fillies were saying inside made his face blush. Of course, Rainbow and Twi would never do that kind of stuff with Scootaloo and Adara, although, Adara was the Entity of Hope, and way older than Celestia and Luna combined, so it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think they would be doing…that, even if her current form was that of a filly. But Scootaloo?! No, there had to be a line drawn in the sand with that!

“AH! Watch my tail Rainbow Dash!”

“Well left it up a bit so it won’t get in the way.”

“Wait, Rainbow don’t move too quickly!”

“Princess Twilight!”

There was a loud thud along with screams coming from the other side. That’s it!

Spike threw open the door was a prepared to lay into his sister/mother figure and her marefriend, but that stopped the moment he took a look at was happening. There was a large, thin plastic mat on the floor, with multiple colored dots all over it. At the center of the mat, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Scootaloo, and Adara all lay in a heap on the floor in a tangled up mess. Scootaloo was the first to see Spike and smiled as she greeted him.

“Hey Spike, you’re back!”

“Uh…yeah, I am. Um, what uh, what exactly am I looking at here?” asked Spike.

“Oh, we decided to play Twister!” Rainbow Dash answered.

“Four on four, to be precise, Adara and I, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, although it was getting a little close for comfort towards the end there,” said Twilight.

“Indeed, but, since Rainbow Dash tripped up, that means Princess Twilight and I win!” Adara said victoriously.

Rainbow Dash shot the little cerulean filly an incredulous glare, “No way! It ends in a tie!”

“According to the official rules, Rainbow, the pony who lost balance first, and subsequently, knocks over the other contestants, is automatically disqualified. Furthermore, if said pony causes their teammate to lose balance as well, then the opposing team wins.”

“You’re making that up Twi!”

Twilight floated the rule before her marefriend and Scootaloo. The orange pegasus filly read over the part that read “Team Play” to see if she was indeed telling the truth. And of course, she was.

“She’s right Rainbow, it says it right here.”

“Dang, I want a rematch! You up for it Squirt?!”

“Oh yeah!”

“HA! Bring it Rainbow!”

“Do not think we’ll take it easy on you during the second round,” said Adara.

As the mares and fillies moved to reposition themselves they found out something rather inconvenient, they were stuck. Forelegs and hind legs were tangled up with two or three other pairs, along with tails and manes of all things, and even wings. All four of them tried to release themselves from the entanglement, but further pulling and tugging only resulted in getting woven tighter into the embarrassing bundle.

Spike couldn’t help but fall to the floor, laughing loudly as he watched his family’s efforts to get free. “Oh my gosh! You guys – HA AH HA – you actually got stuck like that – HA HA HA!!!”

Twilight grumbled as she saw her number one assistant laughing at their expense. “Yes, ha-ha-ha, it’s all very humorous, but quit laughing your tail off and help us out of – EEEP! RAINBOW DASH!”

“I’m sorry Twi, I-I didn’t mean to uh, I don’t even know what I’m touching!”

“Um…Adara…”

“Y-Yes?”

“Um…I know we’re, uh, fillyfriends and all…but um, it’s kinda embarrassing for you to touch my flank like that.”

Adara looked to Scootaloo confused. “My hooves are right here.” The cerulean filly wiggled her forelegs in front of her, showing Scootaloo that she was indeed not touching her flank.

“Oh…then who’s…?”

“Sorry, I’m really sorry!” whispered Twilight.

Spike guffawed louder, causing the two mares and two fillies to glare at him in annoyance. Luckily, the young drake caught onto this and slowly rose up to his feet, holding his stomach from the raucous laughing fit he just had.

“Alright, alright, I’ll help you guys out.” Spike walked over to the entangled ponies, eyeing them at all possible angles, finally, after thinking it over, Spike looked into the mash up of ponies and found Rainbow Dash’s tail. He then gave it a quick tug and just like that, all four were released from the intertwined bundle of limbs. “No need to thank me.”

Twilight, Rainbow, Scootaloo, and Adara all stared at each other in confusion, and then to Spike, wondering how in Equestria he was able to do that. Pushing the thought aside for a moment, all four of them rose to their hooves, groaning as their various joints popped and cracked from being in such a jumbled form.

“Ugh, I think I have a kink in my neck,” said Twilight.

Rainbow Dash sidled next Twilight, wiggling her eyebrow as she said, “I know a great way to loosen that kink, Twi.”

Adara giggled, Scootaloo stuck out her tongue in mock disgust, and Spike just rolled his eyes, having gotten used to the pegasus mare’s open flirting.

“Oooookay, well, I’m going to go make us something to eat. Scoots, come lend me a hoof,” said Spike.

Scootaloo looked to Adara in confusion, the cerulean filly shrugged, not knowing why he asked for her help either. So, Scootaloo followed Spike into the kitchen, watching him as he began pulling out various pots and pans, and ingredients for whatever meal he was going to serve to them all. After a minute or two of just standing and watching, Scootaloo sighed heavily and decided she had waited long enough.

“So, what’s the real reason you wanted me in here?”

“W-What? I just wanted you to lend me a hoof.”

“I’ve been sitting here for five minutes and you haven’t asked me to get you anything. Plus, after what happened last time, I don’t see you too eager to let me back in here.”

Spike smiled sheepishly, “Well…okay, so you almost burned down the whole library, but the soufflé was completely intact, and it tasted good!”

“Yeah, I don’t think Twilight and Rainbow would like it if I burned our house down just so I could cook us a meal……Whoa.”

Spike looked over his shoulder and saw that Scootaloo had an odd expression on her face. “What’s up, you alright?”

“Y-Yeah, I just realized how easily that came out. ‘Our house’, it feels…oddly natural,” said Scootaloo smiling a bit.

Spike put down the bowl of veggies he was chopping up and jumped off his step stool to be at eye level with Scootaloo. “Scoots, this is your home. I don’t know where you were living before, but this place is your home. And, you know, we’re your family now. Plus, how many ponies can say they have a dragon for a big brother.”

Scootaloo scoffed, “‘Big brother’, you’re only a month or two older than me.”

Spike wagged his finger back and forth, “Maybe physically, but mentally, I’m a year or two older than you.”

“Psh, you wish!” Scootaloo punched Spike in the, playfully. “Thanks though, I mean it.”

“No problem,” said Spike.

“Now, will you tell me the real reason you asked me in here? I know this is, like, your private sanctuary in a way.”

She wasn’t far off, not one of these mares and fillies knew how to cook to save their lives. Honestly, Spike imagined them starving to death if he wasn’t around to make a decent meal for them every now and again.

Spike shuffled his feet nervously as he rubbed the back of his head. “I uh, I wanted to know how it was when you realized that you liked Adara, but Sweetie Belle also liked you too.” The young drake could already tell that there was apprehension in Scootaloo’s visage, to which he quickly added, “But it’s totally okay if you don’t want to talk about!”

“……Why do you want know?”

It was now or never. “I kinda, sorta, may be in the same boat as you were…”

“NO WAY! With Rarity and who else?!”

“It’s – HEY, how did you know the other was ready?!”

“Spike, pretty much the entire town knows you have a crush on Rarity.” Scootaloo deadpanned.

The purple dragon growled, “I knew Twilight couldn’t keep it a secret.”

“No, it wasn’t Twilight. This is you whenever you’re with Rarity.” Scootaloo flapped her wings and hovered a couple of feet off the floor. She then made exaggerated swooning noises, sighing heavily, and made love sick faces. Scootaloo stopped flapping her wings and landed back onto the floor. “That’s you, every time you’re with Rarity, or talk about her.”

“Okay, okay, point taken.”

“So who’s this other pony? Do I know her?”

“Yeah, kind of…”

“Oh, is she a filly from my class or –!”

“Scootaloo,” Spike interrupted, “I kind of want to keep it secret for now, and I don’t want to make things awkward for anypony, alright?”

Scootaloo thought it over, Spike did look serious about whatever this dilemma was, and so, she sat on her haunches and nodded. “Fair enough, so why do you want to know about that, exactly?”

Spike hopped back up on his stepstool, continuing to make dinner, he found it helped him focus his thoughts when he kept his claws busy. Scootaloo hovered up next to him and listened as he spoke.

“Like you said, I like Rarity, but I also like this other pony. I was planning on flat out confessing how I really feel to Rarity, and to this other filly. With the filly, I’m ninety percent sure she’ll say yes, with Rarity…maybe seventy to seventy-five percent sure –”

Still higher than the odds I gave you.

“The thing is…I want to tell them both how I feel…because, I want to be with both of them.”

Scootaloo almost stopped hovering for a second as she took in that information. Was Spike really contemplating going out with both ponies at once?! “Spike, you can’t cheat on them!” Even if your chances with Rarity are slim to none. “You’d break their hearts!”

“That’s not what I want to do at all…” Spike moved onto the next dish as he continued. “I want to be open with both of them, tell them together.”

Scootaloo was still having a hard time understanding this. “B-B-But, why?!”

“Well, there are things I love about Rarity, and there are things I love about this other filly, and honestly, I can’t imagine breaking that filly’s heart, or missing my chance with Rarity. But, that’s also why I wanted to know about the three of you. Sweetie Belle seems better now, but it took a bit, I’m just scared that Rarity does say yes and doesn’t want me to be with this other filly too, that it might end up the same way! How did you choose, Scoots?!”

Scootaloo just hovered there in deep thought, thinking back to how she felt for both Sweetie and Adara. “Spike…What I went through isn’t exactly the same…I mean, I was working through some issues about…you know, being a fillyfooler and all…So our situations aren’t exactly the same.”

“But if you could’ve, would you have chosen both of them?!”

“I…I don’t know…I care a lot for Sweetie Belle, and I know she still has those feelings for me, but I like Adara a lot too…!”

“Scoots, hypothetically speaking, if you knew how Sweetie Belle was going to be after you made your decision, and knowing that she and Adara would be okay with sharing you, would you chose both of them then?” asked Spike earnestly.

Scootaloo was starting to get a headache thinking about this. Questions about what she was taught about how a pony was only supposed to have one special somepony were beginning to be put into question. Scootaloo had read about ponies who loved more than just one pony and how they seemed to be happy, but others didn’t exactly like that they were.

Was that even an option at that point, to be with two ponies at once? Surely Scootaloo believed she had enough love in her heart for both, they both supported her, and, although for very different reasons, had earned a place in her heart. But was it fair to Adara? To just up and say she was still going to be her fillyfriend, and have Sweetie Belle in the mix just to spare her feelings?!

“I…I don’t know Spike…Everypony is different I guess…I’m happy with Adara, and, if Sweetie Belle had said something to me sooner, I don’t doubt that she and I would be fillyfriends too. But…I guess, do whatever you think is best.” Scootaloo began to leave the kitchen, seeing as Spike had more than finished preparing the meal. “Can you at least tell me who this filly is, maybe I can smooth things out before you do anything?”

“No, it’s cool.”

Scootaloo sighed, a little bit of fear entering her heart as she worried over what would happen when Spike spoke his true feelings to the ponies he desired. She would like to be there when he did, if nothing else she’d like to be close by for support, but he was keeping this a secret, for all she knew, it was going down tomorrow, but just as easily the day after tomorrow.

I really need a hug from Adara for some reason…


(2 Days Later)

“So you’ve made your decisssion?”

“Yeah, at least I think I have…I just hope it goes well…”

“‘Hope’ is not what you need here Ssspike, it is desire! Pure and simple, you desire these two, yesss?”

“Well…yeah, I really want to be with them…!”

“Then take what is yoursss! For a dragon, there is only the love of his hoard, and in your case, your hoard consistsss of the affections of a mare and a filly! Trust your intinctsss Spike, and your intentions will surely shine through.”

The pep talk he had received from Ophidian was a little weird, but it gave him confidence. Spike knew what he wanted; he wanted Rarity, a talented mare with a beauty that outshone other mares. Apple Bloom, she was a cute filly, and Spike knew, given some time, she’d grow up to be an even cuter mare. Not only that, she was nice to talk to, and had a great future ahead of her. Why shouldn’t all three of them get together, between Rarity’s fashion career, Spike’s connections to Royalty, and Apple Bloom’s talent, which can only get better at, the three of them would be great!

Of course, he thought, my mares will need a suitable place to live later on. I’ll just find us the biggest house in Equestria and take it! Who’s gonna say no to a dragon! And I dare any plothole to try and take them away, I’ll make sure they rue the day they even so much as looked at what’s mine!

Spike stopped walking and shook his head a bit. “Whoa, I think I went off track with that last thought. But…‘my mares’ has a nice ring to it, heh, heh.”

Regardless, this was all a moot point until he actually said something to the two ponies in question. Spike had taken the time to inform both Rarity and Apple Bloom that he wanted to speak with them in private about an important matter, and he made sure to look as serious as possible so that they’d both understand that he was not joking. Thankfully, both had agreed to meet up at Carousel Boutique. He stressed to Rarity how they needed privacy for this and had asked her to make sure Sweetie Belle was out during that time.

Thankfully, yet again, the fashionista’s little sister was more than happy to be out for a bit, having said something about “getting to know a certain purple colt a bit better”, whatever that meant. And so we come upon it at last, Spike stood before the whimsically styled home of his crush. Standing before the door, Spike could hear the distinct voices of two ponies, one with a more Canterlot like manner of speaking, and another with country twang, and a little sass behind it. There was no turning back now, he had steeled himself for this, but there was the option to run away still.

With a snort, Spike puffed out his chest and made the decision to dragon up! He then grabbed the doorknob and gave it a twist. The door opened just as the bell that hung on it chimed, signaling Spike’s entrance. Rarity and Apple Bloom were in the middle of talking about something before they heard the bell and noticed Spike walking towards them with a determined look on his face.

“Ah, Spike, there you are,” said Rarity.

“I hope I didn’t keep you guys waiting too long…”

“Nope, we’ve just been talkin’ is all. So why are we here?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Indeed, I too would like to know as well. You were a little vague on the details there, darling.”

Spike took a steadying breath, standing before Rarity and Apple Bloom. “Well…What I have to say concerns you, both you. And, I just want you to know that I did think this through, and I did do all of research and soul searching, so please, hear me out?”

Rarity and Apple Bloom exchanged worried glances between each other, they had never seen Spike look so determined, so steadfast in whatever it was he was going to convey to them.

“Of course dear, we will,” said Rarity.

“Whatever it is, we promise to help ya,” replied Apple Bloom, sincerely.

Knowing that they would at least hear him out was something, although, how long they would entertain him talking about it was another story. Steeling his nerves for, what felt like, the fifth time today, Spike collected his thoughts and presented his case.

“Rarity…I…I love you.” Spike noticed that Rarity was about to flash that same smile she always did whenever he made mention of his feelings, but he was going to set the record straight. “I’m not saying this as if I have a crush, I mean it Rarity, I. Love. You! I’m in love with you to be more specific!”

That smile on Rarity’s face faltered quite a bit, changing into a slightly stunned expression. At first, the unicorn mare believed it was just a crush, and treated it as such, knowing that one day he would find a filly closer to his age, and being more than happy to assist him in his romantic endeavors towards that filly. But now, seeing the seriousness in Spike’s eyes, his unwavering resolve in making that declaration, and it worried her slightly.

One the other hand, Apple Bloom felt a stinging sensation in her heart. She knew that Spike did like Rarity, but…why did he have to confess that in front of her? Was he trying to make a point? Or was she merely there to offer moral support, all the same, she tried to maintain a stoic expression like her big brother, not wanting to let on how much it hurt to hear that.

“Oh, Spikey-Wikey, I…I’m ever so flattered but…” Rarity searched for the right words to see if she could deter this without breaking the drake’s heart. “I…I am much too old for you, mind you I am young, but for you our age gap is too great!”

“I don’t care about age, and neither should you! What should matter is how I feel, I may be little, I may be younger than you, but seriously, after living with Twilight for so long, I feel I aged more years than what I look! And besides, that’s not the only thing I have to say.”

“There’s more?!” Rarity dreaded.

“Yeah, and it’s about Apple Bloom.”

At this, the yellow earth pony filly dropped her stoic mask and looked genuinely surprised to be addressed after that confession. “What’s about me?”

“AB, I know you like me, actually, I know you like-like me.”

Spike watched as the young filly blushed profusely, her face matching the color of her mane. She glanced over to Rarity and noticed that the fashionista was staring at her in shock, and also blushing at the same time, although hers was tame compared to Apple Bloom’s.

“S-S-SPIKE! Ah – Ah mean – Well ya see – How did ya know?!”

“Call it hunch; I could…feel it, in a way. Am I wrong,” he asked.

The farm filly shuffled in place, wishing that she had a mane as long as Fluttershy’s to hide behind. “N-No, ya-ya ain’t wrong…Ah do like-like ya…a lot, a real lot.” Apple Bloom took another glance at Rarity, judging by her body language she was starting to feel a little uncomfortable by this whole situation. “Spike…Ah know ya like Rarity, but maybe…” She sighed, “Maybe ya could give me a chance…?”

“YES!” Rarity spoke up. “That is an excellent idea! Why don’t you and Apple Bloom have a nice romantic date together, who knows, maybe you might feel differently after you do!” Her voice was almost frantic as she tried to convince Spike to reconsider his feelings towards her.

“No, I love you Rarity, and…the same goes for Apple Bloom. I love the both you.”

If they weren’t stunned before or blushing up to their ears, they were now. The mare and filly couldn’t help it, they were being confessed to by Spike, with all three of them standing in the same room. Rarity thought that these kinds of situations only happened in romance novels, or movie dramas, but right now she felt as if she were trapped in one of those kinds of stories.

“Spike, d-darling, I don’t – or rather – Apple Bloom and I don’t understand what the point is in all this…? You’ve made it clear that you have…feelings for the both of us are you expecting us to choose or – I’m having quite the hard time following your train of thought.”

“I thought that…maybe…we could all be together, you, Apple Bloom, and me like a…a herd?”

Rarity had to suppress the urge to faint right then and there; she needed every facet of her consciousness alert and thinking. Spike had just proposed to form a…a herd! That word in and of itself was hard enough for Rarity to think, for Spike to so easily throw it out there, she hadn’t the words right this moment. The fashionista turned to see Apple Bloom; she apparently knew what a herd meant, if the shocked look on her face was any indication.

“S-S-Spike Wh –!”

“Why would you ask us somethin’ like that?!” Apple Bloom yelled.

Spike felt like he was carefully tiptoeing around sleeping manticore tails, and at any moment he might step on one and get himself mauled. “I just thought that, this way, we could all be happy together!”

“Spike, darling, a-a, ahem, herd isn’t something that one just brings up lightly! It’s a very…complicated thing and it…well…for me, it would be criminal!” Rarity gasped.

“Criminal?”

“Spike dear, I am a mare in her twenties, you two are at least ten years my youngers. Ponies would think I coerced you two or that I am some kind of deviant!”

Rarity was starting to hyperventilate, thinking about all the things that ponies would say or do to her if the mere mention that she was in such a relationship, or was heard talking about such a thing with two children! Her family would disown her, her friends would shun her, Sweetie Belle would look at her with disgust, and she would probably be thrown in jail. The white unicorn mare snapped herself out her worry for herself for a moment, and checked on Apple Bloom, this was hard enough for Rarity to fathom, and she couldn’t imagine what the young filly must be feeling now.

“Am Ah…Am Ah not good enough Spike?!” asked Apple Bloom with tear filled eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“Ah mean, can ya not just be happy with me?! Ya have to have Rarity or it’s nothin’?!”

Spike waved his claws in front of him, “Nononono! That’s not what I want! I want us all to be happy, and I thought that this was the best way to spare everypony’s feelings!”

“Ya mean your feelin’s! What about us?! Did ya take into account that maybe we might not want to be like that?! Do ya even know what herdin’ means?!”

“Y-Yeah, I got the gist of it, three or more ponies enter into a mutual relationship, where all parties agree to share their love. And I love you both a lot!”

“Ya dingbat! It means all ponies gotta love each other! That means I gotta love Rarity, as much as Ah love you!” Apple Bloom shouted.

Spike looked to Rarity for clarification; he had to admit that part in the text was a bit confusing when he read it. Rarity nodded to Spike, confirming that what Apple Bloom said was true.

“B-But…!”

“Ferget it!” Apple Bloom stormed passed Spike marching for the front door.

“Apple Bloom wait!” Spike shouted about to go after her.

“Don’t! Just don’t! Ah…Just leave me alone, okay!”

Apple Bloom flung open the door and ran off, leaving Spike and Rarity alone in the Boutique. Spike’s shoulders slumped in defeat, he didn’t mean for this to happen, not all, and now Apple Bloom…she most likely hated him now. Spike jumped a little when he felt Rarity’s hoof rest on his shoulder.

“Rarity…I didn’t mean to make her sad, or you. But…if you just gave me a chance I promise I could –!”

The unicorn mare raised her other hoof up, signaling Spike to stop. “Darling, it’s not that simple. Honestly, you’re everything that I ever wanted in a stallion, loyal, protective, supportive in my endeavors, and devoted, but…I thought that these feelings were just a passing fancy, and would one day be nothing and you’d look upon me as a friend and nothing more. Spike, I can’t be with you.”
Spike was about to open his mouth to retort with the reason why she wouldn’t, but Rarity beat him to it.

“And no, it is not because you are a dragon. I want you to bury that notion right now.”

Spike looked up at Rarity confused. “Then why?”

“Spike, you are much too young to be thinking about…herds, and the like. And I am, well not old, but much older than you, and it would not be healthy for you.”

“What are you talking about?! Scootaloo, Adara, and even Sweetie Belle were, more or less in the same position!”

“Yes, but they were the same age, and, quite frankly, and thankfully, were not thinking about sharing each other as it were. Spike, you are a baby dragon; you should fall for a filly closer to your age. Apple Bloom may be a little mad right now, but give her time and I’m sure –”

Spike removed Rarity’s hoof from his shoulder. “That’s all I am, a baby dragon; I can’t even be taken seriously when I’m talking about serious stuff! I thought you would be different; see me for me, and not the ‘baby dragon’!”
Rarity had never heard that cross tone in Spikes voice, “Spike…”

“I can’t believe this, forget it – forget all of it!”

Spike was the second to storm out Carousel Boutique, slamming the door behind him and causing said door to form splintering cracks all around it. Rarity let out a heavy sigh, “I definitely need to talk to Twilight…”


(The Cave)

Ophidian was keeping close watch over Spike, but discreetly from the shadows. The little dragon was sitting on a rock, hunched over; light whimpers could be heard echoing from within the cave. Ophidian believed that two hours’ worth of sulking was plenty, couldn’t let the fire within Spike die out too soon, he needed to strike while the iron was hot. The orange dragon walked out of the shadows and towards Spike, making sure his footsteps could be heard. Spike seemed to be aware of his approach and tried to compose himself before he arrived, so Ophidian increased his pace and ended up standing right beside Spike.

“Well, this is a surprise, didn’t expect to sssee you here till later,” said Ophidian.

“S-Sorry…I just…”

Ophidian rubbed his chin, feigning curiosity. “You seem troubled.”

“Just go ahead and make fun of me! I’m a crybaby dragon! A stupid little kid that knows nothing and is too damn selfish to know when he’s hurting somepony he cares about!” Spike snapped.

“You truly think little of yourself, and expect the worssst from me. Tell me, did it not go well?”

“I…I bucked up…I tried to make Rarity and AB understand. I know Rarity’s older, and I know she’s into mares and stallions. She could’ve learned to love Apple Bloom like I do, and, yes AB and me are younger, but as long as we didn’t do anything wrong or inappropriate, we would’ve been fine!”

“I see your problem,” said Ophidian. “You were being generous, giving them a choice and all.”

“Why is that a bad thing?” asked Spike.

“As dragons, our nature is not to give, but to take! You should have made those two yours, Spike! Made the decision for them, made them you mares!”

Spike thought over what Ophidian said, there was something about that, making them “his mares”, it sounded so wrong, so possessive, and yet, it had a nice ring to it. “But…they’re not objects…they’re living breathing ponies, I can’t treat them like property!”

“You’d be surprised to what lengths one would protect personal property, kill, raze kingdoms, and fight off beings of immense power, truthfully, it is through avarice that dragon’s full power is shown, and only then can he take hold of what he wants!” Ophidian proclaimed as he threw his arms into the air, gesturing to, well, everything.

Spike found his words intriguing, yes, he could make them his, and if they were, he would give them everything…well…maybe not everything, there were still things that needed to remain his, but they would be amongst those particular things.

“I…I don’t know…I like the idea of them being…mine.”

Ophidian turned to Spike and grinned. “And why shouldn’t you, and who says you can only stick with two?! They may be your favorites, but it’s always good to have variety! Rightfully, Spike, you are owed so much more than you think!”

Ophidian was right, why shouldn’t he have everything he wanted. All his life he had been taking orders from Twilight, and in that time, has she ever done anything more than take care of him as if he were her pet?! Her “number one assistant”, he was a glorified “helper monkey”! Sleeping in a basket instead of a bed, being taken to veterinarian when he was going through his greed phase, even that parallel world sought to drive the point home when he turned into a dog, A DOG! It was like the universe was saying that he had no chance of being with, or getting, any mare or filly, because nopony took him seriously.

Spike stopped feeling sorry for himself and started to feel angry, “Why shouldn’t I have everything I want, I’m a dragon?!” He clenched his fists tight as puffs of smoke exited his nostrils. “I deserve more, better even! If I want my own treasure, I’ll take it! If I want more than one fillyfriend, I will! If I want a home bigger than Canterlot Castle, hay, why not Canterlot Castle, it should be mine! All of it!”

Unknown to Spike, his body began to grow, his limbs stretching, muscles, bone, and sinew all building upon itself, becoming taught to form strong muscles with each passing second.

“I’ll show’em, Rarity and Apple Bloom will be mine! And anypony else I want too!”

Ophidian walked up to Spike and placed his claw on his shoulder, forcing the young drake to look the orange dragon in the eyes. The symbol etched into his forehead began to glow with the same colored light, erupting like flames and wrapping up both Spike and himself in its power.

“Spike of Equestria, you want it all!”

At that moment, Ophidian’s body burst into particles of light and melded into Spike’s body. At first, Spike was afraid of the sudden rush of power that coursed through him, but soon he couldn’t get enough of it, this strong power that flowed through his body, that energized every single cell of very being, it all cried out, hungered, wanting to be set free.

Outside, the cave exploded forth in a burst of orange light, sending debris flying into the surrounding forest. A giant dragon stood where the cave once was, roughly the same height of Spike’s full grown form, but it was different. The symbol of Avarice was etched in glowing orange lines upon forehead, his spines were longer, pointed, and colored orange, his underbelly scales were the same shade of vermillion, but the rest of his body was pitch black. His eyes were two glowing orbs of orange fire, with a single black slit in each.

This new dragon bellowed out a torrent of dragon fire all around him. The treasure that Ophidian once kept was now melting into molten metal. The dragon then flared out its aura, channeling it into the molten slag, using its light to change it. The molten slag parted into five parts. Two of which wrapped around his forearms, becoming shiny, metallic orange colored bracers. It formed over his claws as well, turning them into long scythe-like claws. The other two did the same, latching onto the lower half of his hind legs, forming over the claws on his feet and making them into sharp weapons of death. The last piece formed a chest plate, fixing itself upon his broad chest, and forming to long vertical slits on the back.

“It’s time I took what is mine!”

Spike then roared mightily into the air, and immediately, constructs began rise up around the now possessed Spike. Diamond Dogs, another dragon, and a chimera, all bearing the symbol of Avarice on one part of them or another.

“This power is mine, this is my light,
Be it in Bright of Day or Black of Night!
I lay claim to all that falls within my sight,
To take what is MINE, that is my right!”

Author's Note:

Next Time in MLP: The Entities of Emotion:

"Fear will consume you all!"

"Ophidian release spike, NOW!"

"Love will conquer Fear and Rage!"

"SWEETIE BELLE – NO!!!!"

Episode 23: BATTLE ROYAL

PreviousChapters Next