• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 6,691 Views, 388 Comments

My Little Pony: The Entities of Emotion - Michael_Ravencroft



Willpower, Hope, Compassion, and Love must battle Rage, Fear, and Avarice to protect their new home.

  • ...
12
 388
 6,691

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 11: Crush

Scootaloo sat on a cloud, the fur around her eyes was matted from tears, and more were still being shed as she sniffled. Her mind was a battle ground of doubt and worry, her heart filled with uncertainty and pain. Right now she wished to fly away, use her wings and leave Ponyville behind forever, maybe then she wouldn’t have to deal with this pain in her heart, or continue to hurt those closest to her.

Why…why do I have to feel this way about her!? They’re both my best friends…so why!?

Scootaloo had no idea how to deal with her feelings right now, everything was crashing down around her, and she knew that no matter what she decided, one of her friends was going to be hurt.


(4 Weeks Ago)

The morning rays of the sun crept into Scootaloo and Adara’s room. Since living with Twilight, both fillies were given a room to sleep in; it was the first time, for either of them, since they had a nice soft bed to sleep on and not a wood floor. There was one thing that they did miss from that time in the treehouse, the closeness they had with each other.

Scootaloo was awake as she lied in her bed, staring across and watching her cerulean pegasus friend sleep peacefully. They now slept in separate beds and Scootaloo found herself missing having Adara’s wing draped over her. Up until the two started to live with Twilight, Scootaloo never once corrected Adara about the Wing Embrace. She didn’t know why, but every time she felt Adara’s wing on her back, or was close to her, she felt at peace. And then there were times when her heart would race a bit when she saw Adara smile.

Scootaloo shook her head. These thoughts had been occupying her mind ever since…that day. The day Adara gave Scootaloo the gift of flight. No, if she were honest, these feelings existed a bit longer than that. Scootaloo quietly got out of her bed and began to make it, a habit she had to back into after not having one for a couple of years. Once it was made Scootaloo noticed that Adara was still asleep.

“How is it that you were the earlier riser, and now I’m the one waking you up?” Scootaloo walked to the edge of the bed and gently pushed against Adara, trying to nudge her awake.

“Mmmm…Five more minutes,” groaned Adara.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but, wake up,” ordered Scootaloo.

Adara’s response was wrapping herself tighter in the blankets. Scootaloo bit down on the loose end of the blankets and yanked at them.

The action caused the sleeping filly to be pulled towards Scootaloo; it was too late for either to do a thing as both fillies crashed into each other. Groans of discomfort could be heard coming from the floor, Adara slowly got up and rubbed her head.

“Ow, well that hurt, you okay Scootaloo,” asked Adara.

“Yeah I’m…fine…”

It was then that Scootaloo finally noticed the position she was in. She was lying on her back, with Adara looming over her, and their muzzles only a few inches away. Scootaloo’s heart was racing, her cheeks growing hot. It took a few seconds, but Adara noticed how close she was to Scootaloo, and it didn’t take long before her heartbeats began to quicken and a blush to form on her face. Both fillies gulped. It was then that they heard knocking at their door, their heads snapped in that direction as the door opened up.

“Scoots, Adara, are you two awake yet, ‘cause I already made break…fast…” Spike trailed off as he saw the two fillies on top of each other, both blushing hard at being found in such a way. “Uh…I’m a…yeah…I’ll just be going now…Come down whenever…” Spike then slowly closed the door behind him and left.

Adara and Scootaloo quickly got up and left a sizeable gap between them. “Ahem, so…are you alright, Adara?”

“Y-Yeah, I’m fine…” Adara kept her eyes focused on the floor, finding it hard to look at Scootaloo at the moment. “Sorry…”

“It was just an accident, totally my fault! Well, let’s head down for breakfast, we don’t need Spike getting the wrong idea now, right!?”

Adara put on a weak smile, “Yeah, don’t want that.” Scootaloo hurried out the door to catch the drake, leaving Adara behind to fix her bed. Yeah…we wouldn’t want that, would we…?


(School House)

Scootaloo wanted to pay attention to Cheerilee’s lecture, really she did. But her thoughts couldn’t stop returning to earlier this morning. How Adara and her almost…almost…Scootaloo quickly shook her head, trying to dislodge those thoughts from her mind. Stop thinking like that Scootaloo! I’m finally not a flightless pegasus anymore! I’m still a blank flank…but I don’t need to add fillyfooler on top of that!

Apparently her odd behavior wasn’t going unnoticed; Sweetie Belle was giving her a curious look. Scootaloo had to wave off her friend and give a placating smile. Sweetie seemed to take her smile at face value and returned her attention to Cheerilee. And to top off her unwanted thoughts for today, thinking about Adara was starting to stir up her old feelings, feelings she had thought buried a long time ago.

Soon the bell rang, indicating that it was now lunch time. The foals field out of the school building and headed towards their specific tables. Apple Bloom had already gone ahead and secured their usual eating spot, waving to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle to come over. Even now she couldn’t help but admire the cutie mark on her friend’s flank, they had all worked hard for months to figure out their special talents, and now one of them has finally succeeded in doing so. In truth, Scootaloo had a feeling Apple Bloom would be the first among them. After all, it was because of her that the two of them got up the courage to stand up to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, and it was Apple Bloom who decided to create the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Initially, Sweetie and Scootaloo were afraid that once Apple Bloom got her cutie mark, they’d drift apart and the Crusaders would be disbanded. Actually that was the underlining fear from the beginning, being the last Crusader without her mark and going off to further pursue their career and talent, leaving the one behind. Thankfully though, Apple Bloom proved to be a true leader of the Crusaders, even though now she had her mark, she vowed to remain a Crusader in order to help Sweetie and Scootaloo to find their own special talent.

“At least now, Ah don’t have to worry about my cutie mark anymore, which frees up more time for me to help y’all with yours,” said Apple Bloom as she took a bite out of her sandwich.

"Totally awesome, but, you still never told us how you got it,” said Scootaloo.

“Yeah, you were kinda vague about the whole thing. You just said that Ion helped you figure it out.” At that moment a light bulb clicked on in Sweetie Belle’s mind. “Maybe he could help me and Scootaloo figure out our special talents!?”

The suggestion caught Apple Bloom off guard as she swallowed the food in her mouth, some of it caught in her throat, making her gag and choke. Apple Bloom struck her chest a couple of times to dislodge the food from her throat. After finally getting the food free, Apple Bloom took in some deep breaths before finally regaining her composure.

“Uh, yeah, Ah don’t think so. That first time was a complete fluke, ‘sides, we can think of somethin’ together, like always,” suggested
Apple Bloom, trying hard not to blow Ion’s secret.

“Oh well, at least we can figure it out as,” Sweetie Belle hooked her foreleg around Scootaloo’s neck, drawing her in close, “the Cutie Mark Crusaders!”

Scootaloo didn’t really struggle against the hold, but neither was she feeling particularly comfortable, but despite this she allowed herself a smile. Those particular feelings were starting to resurface as Sweetie Belle held her like that.

“Oh wow, look at the two lovebirds,” said a grating, irritating voice.

The three Crusaders turned to their heads and saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon walking towards them, shooting a brief scowl Apple Bloom’s way before returning her attention to the other two fillies. Upon hearing that remark Scootaloo quickly separated herself from Sweetie Belle, thinking it wise not to get give the obnoxious filly more ammo.

“What do you want Diamond Tiara,” asked Apple Bloom indignantly.

“Just admiring the fact the you’re still hanging out with these loser blank flanks, even though you’ve already got your cutie mark. But I guess once a loser, always a loser. Right, Silver Spoon,” asked Diamond, awaiting a response.

“Right Diamond Tiara,” responded Silver Spoon on cue.

“Maybe it’s because she’s our friend and isn’t some stuck up, spoiled, self-centered, egotistical, rich filly. Who needs to berate and belittle other ponies just make her feel better about herself,” said Scootaloo.

Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom just stared at Scootaloo, both impressed at what she said and surprised that she was the one who said all of that. All them seemed to been mentally slapped upside the head, because it took a moment before anypony said anything.

“Wow,” said Sweetie Belle.

It was only after saying that did Scootaloo realize what she had said. “Sorry, guess some of Twilight’s eggheadedness is rubbing off on me,” said Scootaloo as she rubbed the back of her head embarrassed.

Diamond Tiara didn’t seem to like what Scootaloo said about her, even though she barely understood half of it that still didn’t mean she liked the way she had said. Diamond Tiara’s face began to get red as her anger flared. “Well at least I’m not some fillyfooling loser, blank flanked, pegasus!”

“I am not!”

The pink filly seemed to have found a way get under the pegasus’ skin. “Please, why else would you snub Rumble during Hearts and Hooves Day?”

“I didn’t snub him! I like him, as a friend, I just don’t like, like him!”

“Oh yeah, and the fact that you, like, stare at the other fillies in our class is because you like their mane cuts, right? Face it you’re, a fillyfooler, a freak like always. ”

I don’t stare at you two…Scootaloo shook her head, “Stop calling me a fillyfooler, Diamond!”

“Oh c’mon, you probably only hang out with these two because you’re hoping to kiss them,” said Silver Spoon.

Diamond Tiara glanced over her partner in crime and smiled at her remark, “Nice one, Silver Spoon.”

“Thanks, Diamond Tiara.”

Scootaloo looked around the table and saw that Apple Bloom was now shifting in her seat awkwardly, while Sweetie Belle looked away, a slight blush forming on her face. It was then that the pegasus filly had had enough of both them. She quickly shot up onto her hooves and turned in the direction of the two fillies.

“That’s it! I’ve had it with you two!” Scootaloo started towards the duo till she was just a foot away from them. With a serious gaze Scootaloo flared out her wings, making Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon jump back a bit in surprise. The flaring of a pegasus’ wings was an intimidation technique, one to make the pony look bigger than their opponent and to show that they were prepared for confrontation. And right now, Scootaloo was using that very tactic to show the two bullies that she meant business. Ever since they were healed, Scootaloo’s wings had grown, becoming fuller and longer than they were before. They were nearly the size of Adara’s wings, which was saying something since the cerulean filly had an impressive wingspan.

“You’ve been dogging us since the beginning, making fun of us for being blank flanks, nearly humiliating Apple Bloom at your Cutenceanera because she didn’t have a cutie mark! And what’s worse, you seemed be happy when Apple Bloom almost lost her farm, her home! Are you really that insecure and rotten that you have to make fun of somepony who’s different or less fortunate!?”

“Well I – I don’t –!”

“No!” Scootaloo interrupted. “You’ve gotten to talk long enough now it’s my turn to say something! You don’t have the right to make fun of us anymore! And do you know why!? Because Apple Bloom got her cutie mark, for one, which means that me and Sweetie Belle will get ours soon! And now I can FLY! So you can’t call me a flightless pegasus anymore!”

Scootaloo started to advance on Diamond Tiara, getting right in her face and making the pink filly fall back onto her haunches. Silver Spoon stood by, stunned at Scootaloo’s courage, unable to say anything to take her attention away from Diamond or to knock her down a peg, but she had to admit, even though she’d never admit it to Diamond, she was impressed by her.

“Now you realize that the impossible IS possible for us! I can fly, Apple Bloom has her mark, and soon the two us will too! And do you know what the sad part is!? When we do, you’ll have no pony else to make fun of, so go ahead make fun of us, call us names, it doesn’t matter, because now everyone knows that you’re wrong, and always will be!” Scootaloo accentuated her point by jabbing her left hoof into Diamond Tiara’s chest, making her fall onto her back. “So leave us alone. C’mon girls, lunch is almost over, let’s head back to class.”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle happily joined their friend’s side as she began her trot. Apple Bloom shoulder bumped Scootaloo, and smiled broadly, proud to have a friend like her by her side. For Sweetie Belle, it was a bit different, she always admired Scootaloo’s brash and tomcoltish attitude, but now, after that little display, there was no doubt about it, she was infatuated, even more, with the pegasus filly and had to restrain herself from hugging her tightly and confessing on the spot. So instead she just settled with flashing
Scootaloo the sweetest smile she could muster.

Diamond Tiara stood up slowly as she watched Scootaloo and the others walk towards the school house. A mixture of emotions raged inside of the rich filly, rage, humiliation, confusion, and something that she hadn’t felt sense she was little baby, helplessness. Diamond Tiara looked around and saw the faces of the other fillies and colts; many had confident smiles on their faces after seeing Scootaloo dig into Diamond Tiara, and now they knew that they didn’t have to be afraid or intimidated by her anymore. The pink filly could feel her hold on the other foals slipping, all her hard work to make the other foals respect her was more or less shattered in just under a minute. Her body trembled, not with fear, but with anger. Who was this filly that thought she could talk to her like that!? It was then that something clicked inside Diamond Tiara, something that made an evil grin appear on her face.

“That’s all well and good, but at least I’m not some little orphan runaway,” said Diamond Tiara loudly for all to hear.
Scootaloo stopped in her tracks, “What was that?”

“Oh please, why else would Princess Twilight suddenly let you stay with her? It’s no surprise, I mean, no pony’s ever seen your parents, even during school functions, you always had some convenient excuse for why they weren’t there. I’m just surprised that Miss Cheerilee bought those pitiful excuses,” said Diamond Tiara.

Scootaloo’s eyes narrowed, but she kept her back facing Diamond Tiara as Sweetie Belle leaned in close, “Don’t let her get to you, Scootaloo. She’s just trying to get back at you, let’s just keep walking.”

Apple Bloom leaned in as well, “She’s right, Scoots. Ya won, and she’s just ticked is all. She’s just tryin’ to get a rise outta ya, don’t give her the satisfaction.”

Scootaloo took a few calming breathes before pressing forward. Diamond Tiara knew that it was going to take a little more than that, she was not going to be humiliated like that in front of everypony, not without dishing out her own brand of humiliation back to Scootaloo. It was then that she decided to pull out her trump card.

“What about that other filly who hangs out with you guys, what was her name, oh yeah, Adara.”

Now she had Scootaloo’s attention. The orange filly spun on her right hind leg, rather gracefully, and stared down Diamond Tiara. “What about Adara!?”

“C’mon, you were homeless, you two pretty much hung out a lot in town when you weren’t palling around with those two.” Diamond Tiara adopted her trademarked devious look, knowing that she had got a hook in her nemesis. “It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the both of you were staying in that rundown treehouse on Apple Bloom’s farm.”

Scootaloo’s eyes went wide. Sure, she had told both AB and Sweetie that she had been living in the treehouse this whole time, but she never told them that Adara was staying with her. Scootaloo glanced to Apple Bloom, she didn’t seem too fazed by that revelation, but when she glanced to Sweetie Belle she was in shock, staring at Scootaloo in disbelief.

“Scootaloo…is that true,” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Well…I…”

“Were you and Adara living in the clubhouse, together!?”

“It’s just that…she had nowhere else to go…and I couldn’t just make her go somewhere else,” she pleaded.

“And you said that you weren’t a fillyfooler. Who knows what kind of perverted stuff you two did alone up there,” said Diamond Tiara.

“Probably a whole bunch of naughty things, they could get in trouble, Princess Twilight could get in trouble for just letting them live in her house,” added Silver Spoon.

“Well, it wouldn’t surprise me. After all, what else would a vagabond out-of-town pegasus do? It’s not like she’d be good for anything –”
Diamond Tiara didn’t get to finish her sentence, for at that moment, she was cut off by the speedy jab of Scootaloo’s right hoof. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had blinked for only a second, before a rush of air and a trail of dust was all that indicated that Scootaloo had left their side. Diamond Tiara was flung backwards from the force of the punch, sending her flying a good five feet from where she was standing.

Scootaloo was standing there, wings flared, foreleg out, panting hard from accelerating and stopping at such a short distance. Her fetlock throbbed from the impact to Diamond’s jaw, but she didn’t care, her anger and adrenaline more than numbed the pain. Besides, her narrow gaze was fixated on Diamond Tiara, staring daggers at her. Did she know that she just punched Diamond Tiara in face with everypony watching? Yes. Did she care? Not one bit. She wouldn’t stand for anypony insulting Adara, the one who gave her hope, the one who restored her wings and gave Scootaloo the gift of flight.

Silver Spoon, after getting over the initial shock of Scootaloo’s mind blowing speed, she then rushed to her friend’s side to see if she was alright, Silver Spoon gasped when she saw Diamond’s swollen lip and blood coming from her mouth.

“Don’t you ever talk about Adara like that – EVER!” Scootaloo warned.


(A Couple of Hours Later)

“Spike, are you okay,” asked Twilight.

Spike was looking rather queasy, holding his stomach with his claws as he waddled toward Twilight.

“Don’t know…it feels like – like – like –!”

*BURP*

From Spike’s maw he burped up some dragon fire, the flames and smoke coalescing till they took the form of a scroll. The little drake caught the scroll and stared at it quizzically.

“Huh, that’s not the usual seal that Princess Celestia puts on her scrolls, or Princess Luna, or Cadance,” said Spike, starring at the metal seal that resembled the image on the schoolhouse’s sign.

Twilight took the scroll into her aura to examine it, after seeing the seal; she realized who it was from. “That’s because it’s not from the Princess, it’s from Cheerilee.”

Spike scratched his head in confusion, “Since when does Cheerilee send you letters through me?”

“Since I decided to take over overseeing Scootaloo’s teaching. Cheerilee and I discussed this when Rainbow and I decided to let Scootaloo and Adara live with us here in the library. She’s a lot smarter than she realizes and I wanted to make sure that I was kept up to date with her lessons, in case there was something that I could help her with or perhaps give her some extra tutoring,” explained Twilight. “So I gave her special parchment paper that, when burned, would be sent through your dragon fire and thusly to me.”

Spike groaned in annoyance, “Alright, just warn me next time you decide to give out this ‘special parchment’. Seriously, it’s hard to tell what’s coming up if I don’t know who it may be from, so a little heads up would be nice.”

“Sorry Spike, I promise, she’s the only one,” apologized Twilight, genuinely sorry for causing her assistant such discomfort.

Spike waved it off as no big deal and proceeded to go about his chores. But still, it’s strange that she’d send me a letter now, especially when school isn’t to be let out for another hour. Twilight opened the scroll and read its contents carefully, her expression turning from one of curiosity, to complete horror.

Dear Twilight

Scootaloo was involved in a fight with one of her fellow classmates, and as such, has injured said classmate. I would like for you to come down to the schoolhouse to discuss what happened today. Her classmate’s parents have already arrived, since I cannot reach them as fast as I can you. We await your arrival.

Sincerely, Miss Cheerilee

Your friend, Cheerilee

The scroll laid on the floor as the door to the library was swiftly flung open as a gust of wind whooshed out and slammed the door shut behind it. Twilight soared through the sky, her heart racing, her worries building. All her thoughts were on Scootaloo. Was she hurt? Why did she do it? Did Twilight do something to provoke such aggression? Twilight had read many books on the psychology of children ever since she found out about Scootaloo being a runaway. The filly never told Rainbow Dash or herself about why she ran away, or who, or what. So she kept an eye out for anything that would indicate abuse of any kind, but Scootaloo didn’t seem to show anything that resembled the telltale signs, if anything, she was happier than she had ever been. So why did this happen…Did I say or do something wrong?! I know she really likes Rainbow Dash, maybe she’s angry that Rainbow didn’t offer to take her in? But that’s only because we were going to –!

Twilight’s thoughts were silent once she arrived at the schoolhouse. The purple alicorn landed at the gate entrance, looking around to see any sign of the other foals. There were none, not a sound to be heard, it was eerily quiet. Must’ve sent the other foals home after what happened… Twilight saw that Scootaloo was sitting at one of the outdoor lunch tables, beside her were Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. Twilight wanted nothing more than to go over to her, but right now she had to find out what happened. So she walked towards the schoolhouse and stopped once she reached the door. She then knocked on the door and awaited a response.

Come in,” came Cheerilee’s voice.

Twilight pushed the door till it was fully open. Six pairs of eyes fell on her, it was strange. Twilight was a model student, never once got in trouble, she had often heard of these kinds of situations from other foals, or seen such scenes from a movie. Even though it wasn’t Twilight who was in trouble, she felt like a schoolfilly about to be punished. But she quickly banished those thoughts from her mind; she was here for Scootaloo.

Sitting on their haunches across from Cheerilee’s desk were two ponies. One she recognized as Filthy Rich, beside him was a beautiful mare, her coat a pristine white and a two toned mane colored pink with purple highlights. Around her neck was a kind of scarf, it glittered like it was made of gold, which matched the cutie mark on her flank surprisingly. Her deep blue eyes glanced Twilight’s way, she scowled, and then turned her nose towards the air haughtily. Twilight trotted further into the class room and sat some distance from the couple.

“Thank you for coming Twilight,” said Cheerilee.

“It’s no problem, but I don’t understand, what happened,” she asked.

“Humph, what happened is that that little urchin struck my daughter,” shouted the mare.

“Now Goldie, please, there’s no need to –”

“Oh please, don’t think just because she’s a princess now, that I won’t hesitate to press charges!”

“Mrs. Golden Fleece, please calm down. Princess Twilight has yet to be fully informed about the situation,” said Cheerilee in a calm and even tone.

“Charges…struck…would somepony please tell me what happened?” Twilight asked.

Cheerilee cleared her throat, “Earlier today, Twilight, Scootaloo punched Diamond Tiara.”
Twilight let out a sharp gasp and brought her forehooves to cover her mouth. “That can’t be! She wouldn’t do that! Scootaloo’s not like that!”

“She is, and she did. The swollen lip and blood from my dear little Diamond are proof of that,” said Golden Fleece.

“She’s going to need stitches, luckily, I know of a cosmetic doctor in Canterlot that can erase the eventual scar that will undoubtedly form from such a procedure. But that doesn’t mean that it will erase what she did,” said Filthy Rich.

“I’m so very sorry, I promise to pay for your daughter’s medical expenses and pay for the doctor you mentioned,” said Twilight, lowering her head in apology.

“Well great, because, you know, we’re dirt poor, and we could never afford the bills. We just look rich to fool everypony else. Please, we don’t want your money!” Golden Fleece spat.

“Well…I promise to punish Scootaloo severely, I guarantee you that this will never happen again. Upon my word as a Princess of Equestria,” declared Twilight.

“That’s not good enough, what’s to stop this from happening again!? No, I want that little ruffian expelled! And I want her locked up in juvenile hall!”

Twilight stared wide eyed at Golden Fleece; she then turned to Filthy Rich who nodded in agreement with his wife’s demand. Twilight felt like she was going to be sick, Scootaloo expelled and locked up like some common criminal. Twilight didn’t know what was coming over her, maybe it was the way that Golden Fleece was talking to her, maybe it was the stress of the situation, or maybe it was her latent motherly instincts kicking in, but there was no way she was going to let that happen to Scootaloo, not on her watch.

“Before we go any further,” Cheerilee interjected, “it would do good to note that Scootaloo is not the only one at fault here.”

“Excuse me, Miss Cheerilee, but what are you inferring,” asked Filthy Rich.

There was a clipboard on Cheerilee’s desk, resting beneath her forehooves. The schoolteacher lifted the clipboard and held it within the crook of her left hoof and used her right to flip through the papers. “Apparently Diamond Tiara had coerced Scootaloo into punching her. According to my students and her friends, all of whom saw and heard the altercation, Diamond Tiara walked up to Scootaloo and her friends and proceeded to badger them. Whereupon Scootaloo quote: “Told Diamond Tiara off” and was leaving with her friends. Diamond Tiara then started to say other things to Scootaloo, chief among them were calling her homeless and a fillyfooler.”

That last one made Twilight wince, remembering some of Rainbow Dash’s childhood stories, and her own. This didn’t seem to faze either of the rich ponies who seemed to wave it off as inconsequential.

“Preposterous, my little Diamond would never stoop so low as to ‘name calling’, she doesn’t even know what the word ‘fillyfooler’ means,” said Golden Fleece.

“Actually, Mrs. Fleece, if you remember, I held a special Sex Ed. class not too long ago, describing such relationships. I gave out permission slips to my students to give to their parents, otherwise they couldn’t attend,” said Cheerilee.

Golden Fleece gave the teacher an incredulous look, “I received no such slip!” Filthy Rich began to clear his throat, gaining her attention. “Yes Dear?”

“You were away on your modeling trip to Manelan when this happened, so I signed the slip for her to attend,” said Filthy Rich wearily.

“Oh…Well it still doesn’t matter. It doesn’t dismiss the fact that she is a runaway,” Golden Fleece rose up and stared down Twilight, “You have no idea what or who she was! For all you know she’s a violent child, or escaped from a detention center somewhere! What do you actually know about that filly you’ve so graciously brought into your home, Princess Twilight?!”

Twilight opened her mouth to retort but soon closed it; she did this several times, not able to think of a good answer to that question. As much as she hated to admit it, Golden Fleece was right, neither Twilight nor Rainbow Dash knew anything about Scootaloo’s past life before coming to Ponyville. Golden Fleece seemed to catch onto Twilight’s hesitation at answering the question and decided to press forward.

“Miss Cheerilee, I want that filly out of this school, and locked up. She’s a danger to everypony, and who knows what else she’s planning!”

“Mrs. Fleece, I am not going to expel Scootaloo,” said Cheerilee.

All three ponies looked at the mulberry mare in shock at what she said. Twilight was starting to feel a little relieved, but Filthy Rich and Golden Fleece seemed to be outraged at Cheerilee’s decision. Both parents made their way to the front of her desk, leaning their heads over to stare directly at Cheerilee in a sort of tag team effort to intimidate her.

“Now see here, I will not stand for this biased treatment!” Filthy Rich shouted.

“Do you know how much we give to the Ponyville Education Fund!? If you don’t do something about this Miss Cheerilee, I can see to it that you never teach in school, anywhere, again!” Golden Fleece threatened.

Twilight was now starting to get angry, both for what they wanted to do to Scootaloo, and for the way they were talking to Cheerilee. But she had to admit; she was impressed by the way Cheerilee remained cool and composed throughout their shouting. Calmness she no doubt honed during her many years of teaching, and dealing with upset parents. Her expression was neutral, showing no sign that their berating was affecting her whatsoever, it reminded Twilight of Princess Celestia, how she dealt with foreign dignitaries and kept her cool when they would start to shout or get violent. Twilight was starting to gain a newfound respect for Cheerilee.

“If I expelled Scootaloo, I would also have to expel Diamond Tiara as well.”

That one sentence caught both parents off guard, backing up from Cheerilee’s desk as they both shot her incredulous looks. Cheerilee reached down and pulled open one of her desk drawers. She hefted a large stack of papers onto her desk and stared down the two parents.

“These are the documented incidents that I have been told about or have personally witnessed. Each of these is a report about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon’s various altercations with the other students. Everything from so called ‘harmless name calling,’ to Diamond pushing, hazing, or otherwise hurting another fellow classmate, either physically or mentally, it’s all right here in black and white.”

Golden Fleece stared at the intimidatingly large stack of papers, at a complete loss for words. Filthy Rich shifted uncomfortably, he too becoming unsettled by the papers.

“I am fully aware that Scootaloo striking your daughter was wrong, and she will be punished, but the blame is equally hefted to Diamond Tiara for provoking the matter further. Insulting one’s sexual orientation is something I do not tolerate, whether true or not, but neither do I condone violence among my students. So, both Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara will be suspended for the next four weeks. They will also write apology letters to each other, and receive detention, on alternating days, of course.

Cheerilee then gave Filthy Rich and Golden Fleece a stern look. “And just so you know, this is the worst thing, by far, that Diamond Tiara has done. She will be permitted to come back, but with a warning. If I hear of her or Silver Spoon doing something like this again, whether in school or outside it, I will not hesitate to expel her from the school and put everything you see here, including this most recent event, in her Permanent Record.”

Twilight noted the shocked expressions on their faces. She knew how a Permanent Record could follow a pony all the way into high school and further. Diamond Tiara would not be able to hide her cruel streak so easily with the ponies of whatever school she went to in the future from keeping an eye on her. And it would also tarnish whatever high society school she got into, money may be money, but a school’s reputation was hard to come by. The two earth ponies sat down on their haunches once again, knowingly pressured into submission.

“Ms. Sparkle,” Twilight turned her attention to Cheerilee, “can I trust that this will never happen again? Scootaloo has a bright future, especially under your supervision. This is her first major disciplinary incident, I know for a fact that she is not violent, but I can’t tolerate this happening again. Is that understood?”

“Yes Miss Cheerilee, I promise you, this will never, ever, happen again,” said Twilight as sincerely as she could.

“Very well, our business is adjourned; I look forward to seeing both Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara back in school four weeks from now. I will send you each a copy of the curriculum we will cover during those weeks so that they don’t fall behind.”

Filthy Rich and Golden Fleece rose up and made their way to the door, Twilight silently mouthed a “thank you” to Cheerilee. The teacher smiled back at her and went about her business of getting ready for the next day of school. Once outside, Twilight was about to head on over to Scootaloo when she heard something that she couldn’t ignore.

“Honestly, a fillyfooler, around my Diamond, ugh, as much as I hate to say it, we should be thankful that filly only punched her. Who knows what depraved things she could’ve done to her if Diamond was alone,” said Golden Fleece.

“Excuse me,” Twilight called out, gaining the attention of the two rich ponies, “what was that you just said?!”

“Dear, perhaps we should go,” said Filthy Rich.

“I did not stutter. A tomcoltish, fillyfooler like that filly could’ve done far worse! It really wouldn’t surprise me if she was.”

“And if she was what of it? Mare couples aren’t illegal, neither are Stallion couples either,” argued Twilight.

“Pfft, just because the law says it’s not, doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong. Mares dating other mares, stallions dating other stallions,” Golden

Fleece made a disgusted sound as if she were gagging before continuing, “Mares are to date and marry stallions, it not only serves a purpose, it’s the way things have been and should remain.”

Twilight furrowed her brow, if there was one thing that she truly hated it was ignorance of the close minded, like Golden Fleece. “It’s not always about what’s natural. It’s about what the heart wants, whether we find happiness with a pony of the opposite or same sex is up to the individual. Procreation isn’t that much of a problem either, considering that stallion couples can have surrogate mares to have a foal for them, or, through the use of certain spells, a mare couple can have children like any other hetero couple can.”

“Ugh, disgusting, augmenting one’s body just to have a child, it’s exactly that kind of stuff I don’t want my Diamond getting near!” Golden Fleece then raised an eyebrow as thought popped into her head. “I believe that you have another filly staying at your abode, a runaway like her?”

“And what are you insinuating,” asked Twilight.

“Merely wondering if I should call Health and Pony Services, one can only know what two runaway fillyfoolers are up to when they’re alone, and if remember from what my daughter told me, they were alone together for quite a while before you took them in,” said Golden Fleece, the tone in her voice was almost sing-songy.

That was it. She had had enough of listening to this mare. Calling upon her Earth Pony strength, Twilight raised her right hoof and stomped the ground, hard. The result caused a miniature quake to rumble through the ground, making both Filthy Rich and Golden Fleece wobble uneasily. “That filly has a name! It’s Scootaloo, stop referring to her as if she were an it, she’s a foal with a name, use it! And another thing, I happen to be one of those ‘disgusting’ fillyfoolers!” Twilight stopped mid-rant and thought for a moment. “Well, really, I’m more bisexual – but that’s not the point! I may not know what Scootaloo or my other ‘runaway,’ as you call her, have been through, but I will be damned if I’m not going to give them a good home to live in! I will not tolerate such ignorance, do I make myself CLEAR!!!” Twilight used the Royal Canterlot Voice on the last word to emphasize her point.

Both earth ponies shook their heads and quickly took off like the wind. Twilight let out a long sigh, she hated such ignorance, but neither did she like the look of fear somepony had when she got like that, it was if they were afraid she was going to banish them to the moon. Before, if she got angry like that, most ponies would either yell back, give up, or just huff and puff as they walked away. Now though, now ponies just nod and agree. It was times like this Twilight was grateful that she had friends who would argue with her if she were wrong, or just weren’t afraid to plain argue with her, and a marefriend who saw her for the “egghead” mare she was before her ascension.

“Oh well…”


Twilight decided on flying back home, albeit at a slower pace in order for her and Scootaloo to talk to each other. The orange filly had her head hung low, not really wanting to look at Twilight, mostly out of worry and shame. Scootaloo wasn’t sorry in the least for punching Diamond Tiara, the way she saw it, if it didn’t happen now it was going one day. In fact, she thought. Diamond Tiara should be grateful that it was me. Any other pony probably would’ve beaten her up worse! All I did was just punch her once. Celestia knows she could’ve used another punch or five.

Despite this, there was no denying that she did feel bad for doing that. She didn’t mean to send Diamond Tiara to the hospital for stitches, make her shut up, oh most definitely, but not send her to the hospital. Was it wrong to feel bad that you hurt somepony, especially when that somepony spent most of her time tormenting you and you’re friends? Even though these thoughts were running through her head, Scootaloo couldn’t shake the overwhelming fear of what Twilight would do. She had taken her and Adara into her home, a real home. A place where it was warm, where they could continue to stay in Ponyville, a place where Rainbow Dash frequently visited now, and she might’ve just missed that all up.

“Scootaloo…”

She flinched, with a gulp she answered, “Yes…Twilight?”

“Do you understand what Miss Cheerilee told me,” she asked.

“Yes…I do, I’m sorry, Twilight. I promise I won’t do that again…I swear.”

“I know you won’t, Scootaloo. And I understand why you did it, I’m not proud of it, but I understand.” Twilight glanced over to Scootaloo, her eyes were a little wet, and she heard some sniffling. “I’m not mad you, Scootaloo. I’m just worried about what happened. Tell me, are you at least sorry about what happened?”

“No,” she said quickly, “Diamond Tiara’s always bullying us, I finally stand up to her, and she goes and says all that stuff about me and Adara! I just…I just lost it! One minute I was standing beside Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, and then the next thing I know they’re far behind me with my right hoof out in front me and Diamond Tiara on the ground.” Scootaloo saw the disappointed look on Twilight’s face, so she decided to voice the rest of what she was feeling. “But…I do feel bad about sending her to the hospital. I didn’t mean to hurt her, I just…I just wanted her to stop! So, yes, I am sorry that I hurt Diamond Tiara, but not sorry for sticking up for myself or Adara either!”

Twilight’s disappointment turned to small smile, “Well, I’m glad to know that you at least feel a little sorry for hurting her. But violence is never the answer, Scootaloo. You can’t just punch somepony when they call you names, or say something you disagree with. You need to learn how to walk away –”

“But I did!” Scootaloo flew till she was in front of Twilight, cutting the alicorn mare off both mid-sentence and in the air. “I finally stood up to her! I said what wanted to say, and it felt great! She was completely at a loss for words! And that’s when me and girls walked away…but, it was like she couldn’t stand that I said all that to her! Like she needed to say all that stuff just to get even with me!”

“Like saying that you’re a fillyfooler?”
Twilight noticed a change in Scootaloo the moment she said that. Her body became tense; she hugged herself with her forelegs, and looked away from Twilight. “I’m not a fillyfooler, Twilight, she just said all that stuff to get under my skin…and I let her. It won’t happen again.”

“Scootaloo, I just want you to know that it’s alright if you are, there’s nothing wrong with that,” said Twilight.

“Yeah, well, I’m not…”

“Scootaloo, I’m just saying –”

“I’M NOT! Jeez, do I have to make out with some colt just to prove that I’m not!!?” Scootaloo shouted while flailing her forelegs.

Twilight blushed upon hearing Scootaloo say that. She then shook it off and stared at her sternly. “Scootaloo enough, why are you getting so defensive, I never said that you were!? In fact, I’m probably the only one – well not the only one – but I’m still somepony who would accept you one way or the other because I am one!”

Scootaloo almost forgot to flap her wings when she heard that, “You…you’re a…a fillyfooler…Twilight?”
The Princess of Magic let out a long held sigh, “I am. Although it’s not the correct term for me, I’m bisexual…”

“Wait, I’ve heard of that, during Miss Cheerilee’s class. That means you like colts and fillies, right?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yes, it took me a long time to figure it out.” Twilight started to rub her right foreleg as she recounted those times. “I wasn’t the most social pony, back in Canterlot. I devoted myself to my studies under Princess Celestia, so I kind of let my social life fall by the way side. But then, when I came to Ponyville, and made friends, I started to notice things about myself. How my heart raced whenever I saw an attractive stallion, and how my heart seemed to do the same thing whenever my gaze would linger on a mare.”

“So…You didn’t really know who you liked, mare or stallion,” asked Scootaloo.

“No, I was confused, so I just decided to throw myself into my friendship studies. And the more I did, the more I learned about myself. It was kind of thrilling, it was like I was discovering who I was for the first time. And I finally knew what, or rather, who I wanted after a long time of soul searching. It’s funny what happens to you when you ascend to an alicorn, puts a lot of things in perspective,” said Twilight as she chuckled.

“That means you have a special somepony?” Twilight nodded. “Can you tell me who is it?”

“I…I think that’s something that I’ll have to talk to her about. But you see, Scootaloo, it’s not always easy, finding yourself like that, and if you deny that part of yourself, the only pony who suffers in the end is you.”
Scootaloo didn’t exactly know what to say, but for now she just wanted to go back home. “I understand Twilight…but, I’m not one or the other.”

Twilight moved closer to Scootaloo and enveloped her in a hug. It was comforting to her. She never thought she’d feel this safe in Twilight’s embrace. Scootaloo certainly did when Rainbow Dash hugged her, but she was finding out that she liked it when Twilight hugged her too. The alicorn mare looked down at her charge and smiled warmly.

“This isn’t awkward for you, is it? I mean, now that you know and all. We can stop hugging, if you want?”

“Uh-uh, it’s not…and…not yet.”


(1 Week Later)

It was currently the weekend, a while had past and Twilight had made sure that Scootaloo wasn’t behind in her studies, if anything the mare was doing her best to make sure Scootaloo was ahead of the class. Rainbow Dash and Twilight had talked about what Scootaloo said and it wasn’t much of a surprise to the prismatic mare. There was a twinkling of pride her eyes when Twilight regaled her with the details of what Scootaloo did to the filly.

Twilight had convinced Rainbow Dash that she needed to confirm what Adara’s feelings were, before either of them were to talk to Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash decided to take Scootaloo out for some “intense flying lessons”, needless to say, Scootaloo practically jumped at the invitation, zooming out the door. Twilight made a mental note to make sure that the cyan pegasus didn’t teach Scootaloo any of her more extreme flying techniques.

Twilight had told Adara to stay behind, for what she did not know, yet. The cerulean filly was brought to the foyer, with Twilight setting on a cushion across from her. Twilight didn’t exactly like this; it reminded her of the day they had talked about Scootaloo’s possible wingless existence. This area is starting to become synonymous with bad news, or at least weighted discussions.

“Princess Twilight, what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

Twilight sighed, “There’s no easy way to go about this. So, I’ll just ask you directly. Adara, do you…do you…love, Scootaloo?”

Adara blinked her eyes and tilted her head in confusion, “Of course I love her, and I care about her greatly.”

“Not in the way a friend would. I mean, in the way that Rainbow and I do…as lovers do…?”

Adara’s cheeks went red under her coat, “Oh…well…ahem…Yes, I do.”

“Since when?”

“I didn’t fully realize my feelings, not at first. I was drawn to her because the light of Hope shined greatly in her, but as time went on, I slowly started to see her as something more, and before I knew it, I had developed feelings for Scootaloo, romantic ones. But…after the altercation with Diamond Tiara, I not certain that I should reveal my feelings anytime soon,” said Adara.

“Answer me this, if you knew she had the same feelings for you, would you tell her, and if so, what would you do?” Twilight asked, curious to find out what her answer would be.

“I…I’d be happy, really happy. It would be the first time I have ever had someone whom I could truly love, and who would love me back.” There was happiness in Adara’s voice, the thought of having someone to love and be with excited her.

Twilight could tell the prospect of such made Adara happy, but then again, there was an elephant in the room that needed to be addressed before Twilight could even consider allowing a relationship to blossom. “Adara, you do know what you are? You’re the Entity of Hope, the cosmic embodiment of all hope in the universe. You’re also immortal, which means you know things that Scootaloo doesn’t know.”

“What are you implying, Princess. I would never push Scootaloo into something she wasn’t ready for. I know I’m older than any living thing in this, or any, universe. But…that doesn’t’ mean that I’m as old as you might believe me to be…” Adara raised her right and inspected it. “I understand why the Life Entity gave me this form. Children have hope, their born with it. But as time goes on, and they grow older, some lose sight of it. Scootaloo’s different, she truly hopes for a better tomorrow, she has doubts like any other, but does her best to not let them get her down. She’s also brash, outspoken at times, kind, and loyal. I’m thankful that I was incarnated into this form, because otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to meet her, and feel for her the way I do now.” Adara looked up at Twilight. “Is it wrong for me to love Scootaloo, even though I am not a true pony…?”

Twilight took in Adara’s words, in some way she felt a connection to her. But most importantly, she could tell how much Adara cared about Scootaloo, her words carried a weight to them that one could only have if they were enamored with other pony. “Alright, I understand. I needed to make sure that you had her best interests at heart, but…I needed to make sure that you were alright if she didn’t return your affections.”

“Do not worry, Princess Twilight, though I might be saddened if she did not love me or found love from another. Knowing that she has found somepony to make her feel loved is enough, and I will always be here for her nonetheless. All will be well.” Adara smiled at Twilight, reassuring her of her words.

Twilight smiled back, “Thank you, Adara. Oh, and one more thing. You don’t need to call me Princess. Friends and family never need bow to me or call me Princess; it’s the one thing I won’t allow. Understand?”

Adara chuckled a bit, “Yes, I understand, Twilight.”


(3rd Week)

Sweetie Belle knew she had to tell Scootaloo about her feelings, but she just didn’t know how to go about it. Especially with her fierce declaration that she was in fact, not, a fillyfooler, just how was she to tell her about her hidden feelings and not ruin her friendship with her best friend? It was times like these she wished Princess Cadance was around; having the alicorn of love would help tremendously right now. But, since she was in the Crystal Empire, Sweetie Belle had to settle for the next best thing, her big sister, Rarity.

“She’s always reading those romance novels and seeing those mushy movies, she has to know something,” muttered Sweetie Belle.
The little marshmallow white filly took a deep breath and knocked at the door to Rarity’s inspiration room. It wasn’t long before she heard the sound of her big sister’s sing-song voice say, “Come in~” That was a good sign at least, Rarity only ever sounded like that when she was happy and in a good mood while designing.

Sweetie Belle entered her Inspiration Room and found Rarity scrutinizing a sketch of her latest design. It was nice to see that Rarity had kept the room in the same neat and organized manner from when she was last in there.

“What can I do for you Sweetie?” Rarity turned from her sketch and looked down at her little sister, noting the troubled expression on her face. “Goodness, Sweetie Belle, what has you looking so down?”

“I…I kind of need advice about something,” said Sweetie Belle.

Rarity released the charcoal she was using to sketch with and placed it on her desk. She then removed her glasses and turned her full attention to Sweetie Belle. “But of course, Sweetie, what is it?”

“Well…I was wondering…” Sweetie knew that the longer she dragged this out the more awkward this was going to feel. So, gathering her courage, she spat it out. “I have a crush on somepony but we’ve been friends for a long time and I don’t know how to tell them or if they even like me back and I’m afraid that I’ll ruin our friendships if I do so I thought I could ask you how to ask them the right way so that I don’t lose them as a friend!” Sweetie Belle started to pant, never once pausing to take a breath during her long explanation.

Rarity just stood there, processing everything her little sister just said to her. It took a minute she was finally able to register that Sweetie Belle had a crush on somepony and was asking her for romantic advice. When this notion finally dawned on her, Rarity let out a squee of joy as she danced in place.

“My little sister has a special somepony!”

Sweetie Belle panicked and waved her forelegs in front her, “Shh, shh, not so loud!”

“Oh this is simply wonderful! Who is the lucky colt that has swept my little sister off their hooves?!” Rarity asked, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

Now things were even more awkward, Rarity thought that she was talking about a colt. But, if she played this right, she could get the answers to her problem. After all, in some ways, Scootaloo did act like a colt.

………Yeah, no, never making that connection again, she thought.

“I don’t really feel like telling you, not right now anyway…”

“Oh come now Sweetie, I’d tell you if I were dating somepony,” countered Rarity.

“Yeah, well, I’m not even sure if sh – HE likes me or not. I just don’t know how to go about asking them if they like me or like, like me.”

Rarity brought her hoof to her chin in thought. “Quite the conundrum, to ask or not ask; both have risks and merits.”

“Well…there’s something else,” said Sweetie Belle, rubbing her right foreleg nervously, “or, really, somepony else.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow in curiosity. “Sweetie Belle, are you saying that this colt likes another filly? Or…is that you like another colt as well?”

“……The first one……”

“Oh my…” Rarity was now a bit stunned. To think that her little sister would be in the middle of a love triangle, and at such a young age too. Well…are you and this other filly friends?”

Sweetie nodded.

“Oh dear…this does complicate things…”

“I know…”

“Does she know, the other filly,” asked Rarity.

“No…and that’s why it’s so hard…I get frustrated around her, when I see them together I start to feel…mad…sometimes. But when I see he – him smile, I feel bad for thinking like that, does that make me a…a bad pony,” asked Sweetie, sniffling as she tried to hold back some tears.

“Oh Sweetie,” Rarity reached out with her forelegs and held Sweetie Belle close to comfort her, “no, that doesn’t, it just means that you’re in love. It’s hard sometimes to see somepony we really care about love someone else, but tell me, are you at least happy when this colt smiles?”

Rarity felt Sweetie Belle nod her head.

“Well then, there you go. You’re not a bad pony, despite how you feel when they’re together; you genuinely care about his happiness. "And as far as telling this colt you love him, I think it best to just tell them directly.”

Sweetie looked up at her sister with shock. “What!?”

“Beating around the bush won’t do you or your special somepony any good. Better to tell them directly, otherwise you’ll never be able to tell them how you really feel and you might lose your chance altogether. And,” Rarity began to stroke Sweetie’s mane soothingly, “you owe it to them both, as their friend, to get this out in the open. If they’re truly your friends then they will not abandon you, and I expect you to do the same.”

Sweetie contemplated her words, not entirely sure if she had the courage to tell Scootaloo how she really felt about her. But if she didn’t, then she’d never know. Plus, Sweetie figured that Scootaloo was the type that you probably had to be blunt with.

“……Okay, I’ll try…”

“Atta girl, just remember I’ll always be here for you. Whether you need a shoulder to cry on, or somepony to celebrate with,” said Rarity.

Sweetie Belle hugged her big sister tight, happy to have her support through this, even though she didn’t know that she was planning on confessing to a filly, or that that filly was Scootaloo.

“Hey, Rarity, is it okay if I invite Scootaloo over tomorrow?”

~~~

“Sweetie Belle, you alright, Equus to Sweetie Belle, are you there?”

Sweetie was snapped out of her reminiscing. Scootaloo was looking over at Sweetie from her position on the floor. The unicorn filly shook her head back and forth, getting herself back in the now. “Oh, yeah, I’m alright. I was just…um, remembering a talk I had with Rarity.”

“Must’ve been serious to make you stare off into space like that,” commented Scootaloo.

“You have no idea…”

“What was that?”

“Nothing!”

Scootaloo shrugged it off and went back to her work of cutting fabric. Sweetie had invited the pegasus filly over, under the pretense that they should try and earn their cutie marks at clothes making. Although Sweetie knew that making dresses or clothes in general wasn’t exactly Scootaloo’s cup of tea, she knew that Scootaloo would rather say she tried and failed then not trying and possibly not getting her cutie mark. Sweetie Belle lied on her bed as she used her telekinesis to scribble out an outfit, while Scootaloo cut out swatches of fabric to different lengths she thought that they might need. Rarity’s going to be a little miffed that her fabrics are being cut up for no reason, but it’s for a good cause…hopefully.

“So, Scootaloo, how’s the suspension going,” she asked.

Scootaloo shrugged, “It’s not all that bad. Twilight’s teaching me on the weekdays, so it’s not like I won’t be behind you guys. In fact, I bet I know three times more by the time I come back. I’ll probably be able to teach the class!”

Sweetie Belle giggled at the thought. “I don’t think Miss Cheerilee would mind, it’d give her time to relax. Maybe you could get a cutie mark for being a teacher like her!?”

“Pfft, please, me a teacher,” said Scootaloo skeptically.

“It could happen, I mean, you’re smart Scoots, you could if you wanted to,” said Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo noticeably blushed from Sweetie Belle’s confidence in her intellect. “Maybe…but it doesn’t feel right. If anything it’d be like Pinkie Pie, how like she’s a great ice skater, but it’s not her special talent. So you might be right……you really think I’d make a good teacher?”

“Of course, I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t mean it,” said Sweetie Belle.

“Thanks Sweetie.”

The marshmallow white filly blushed, but held up the sketch pad to hide it. For the most part she was comfortable, and so was Scootaloo. Now all she had to do was find a way to confess to Scootaloo, but in a way that wasn’t totally awkward and haphazard. That’s when a thought popped into her head.

“So, did you really have to write an apology letter to Diamond Tiara?”

Scootaloo groaned loudly, “Unfortunately, yes. I wrote mine first, since I didn’t get one back until after I sent mine a week ago.”

“And…what did she say,” asked Sweetie Belle, almost dreading what Diamond Tiara wrote.

“It sounded like she was sorry, too…but I’m not holding my breath. Who knows, maybe that punch knocked her sympathy loose,”
Scootaloo chuckled, “if she had any to begin with. Weirdly enough, it did sound like she was sorry about what she said to Apple Bloom, about her almost losing her home, anyway.”

“Oh, well, that’s good, at least. You know, you kind of freaked out us out when you punched Diamond Tiara –” Sweetie watched as Scootaloo flinched upon the mentioning of that event, “– but we weren’t scared! We were just surprised, you were there one minute and then gone the next, you were really fast!”

“Guess all my flying lessons with Rainbow Dash are paying off…”

Great, now I made her sad, stupid! Although, there was one question that she wanted to know the answer to, “Did you feel bad, after it was over?”

Scootaloo turned around to face Sweetie Belle and sighed heavily. “It’s weird, I’m sorry that I sent her to the hospital, but I’m not sorry for sticking up for you guys. I mean, I should be glad that I punched her; she always messes with us, always getting on our case about being blank flanks! And being mean to the other foals in our class, it was bound to happen sooner or later, if not me then by somepony else! So…why do I feel bad about it…?”

Sweetie Belle put down the sketch pad and hopped off her bed. She walked over to Scootaloo and sat in front of her. “Because you’re not a bad pony, Scootaloo, you’re kind, loyal, and you have a big heart. You don’t like hurting other ponies, if you did, you’d be worse than Diamond Tiara. So it’s a good thing that you feel like that.”

Scootaloo met Sweetie’s eyes, “You really think so?”

“I know so; it’s one of the things I love about you.”

“Love?”

Oh no! “I mean like! It’s one of the things I like about you!” Sweetie corrected, her voice cracking a bit.

Scootaloo gave her friend a dubious look before confirming her suspicions. “You’re a worse liar than Apple Bloom, and that’s saying something.”

“I am not!”

“Yes you are, I know, because your voice cracks,” said Scootaloo.

“So what, my sister tells me my voice cracks a lot,” retorted Sweetie.

“Yeah, it does, but it cracks in a certain high tone when you’re lying, and right now it just did, so what did you mean by love?”

“Just forget I said anything!”

“I would if you weren’t blushing right now!”

Sweetie didn’t realize it, but her cheeks were hot. Perfect, my own body can’t even lie!

“Tell me what you meant, Sweetie Belle,” asked Scootaloo.

“I can’t…!”

“Why not?”

“Because!”

“Because why!?”

“Because I love you, alright!”

Sweetie Belle clasped her hooves over her mouth as she stared wide eyed at Scootaloo. The pegasus filly didn’t exactly know how to respond right now, she was stunned. “You…you love me…? You’re joking right? You’re just pulling a prank on me, right Sweetie Belle, right?”

Sweetie could hear the desperation in her voice. Part of her wanted to just come out and say “Yes this was all an elaborate prank! You should see the look on your face!” But she knew better, saying that now, while presenting her a way out of this situation, would just make any future confession appear as if she was being mean to her. It was now or never…it wasn’t ideal, but this was her chance to tell Scootaloo exactly how she felt.

“No…it’s not a prank, or a joke, or anything that’s meant to be funny. I…I like you, I mean I like, like you, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo’s heart was racing she didn’t know what to say, or do. Part of her was happy, while another was angry, and one third of her felt…unsettled. At this point, there was only one thing Scootaloo could say. “I’m sorry, Sweetie Belle, but…I…I’m not…I don’t like fillies…I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to pretend, Scootaloo. Not with me, not ever! We don’t have to tell anypony, we can keep it secret, I promise,” said Sweetie Belle.

“It’s not that, I’m not into fillies, I…I like colts –”

“Please stop lying to yourself!” Sweetie shouted. “I know how much it hurts, how you can only look and never say a thing, afraid of what other ponies will think of you! Afraid that you’ll lose that pony as a friend forever! I even talked to Rarity, Rarity, about how I should confess to you, and I led her to think I was talking about somepony else! So you’re not the only one, Scoots! It’s okay to admit to me, because I’m admitting it to you.”

Scootaloo’s head was spinning; she got to her hooves but swayed as if she had been put through the Dizzitron at the Wonderbolts Academy. Images of Sweetie and Adara flashed through her head, of the times they spent together and separately, all the while seeing all the telltale signs. Longing looks, the occasional blush, and then there was that kiss that almost happened at – No, no I can’t!

“I-I have to go, I can’t – I’m sorry Sweetie!”

Scootaloo made her way to Sweetie Belle’s door, but she only got as far as putting her hoof on the doorknob before hearing Sweetie shout, “IT’S BECAUSE OF ADARA, ISN’T IT!?”

Scootaloo froze in her tracks. “What…what are you talking about…?”

“I know you like her too! I’ve seen the way you look at her and the way she looks at you! It’s the exact same way I do whenever I stare, she likes you too!”

“That’s ridiculous, I don’t like Adara like that, you don’t understand we –!”

“Lived together,” Sweetie interrupted, “It makes sense now. That time when you were ‘sick’ and Adara seemed really nervous about me coming to see you, how you seemed down during that one time and all of a sudden you’re feeling better! If you two are fillyfriends –!”

“WE’RE NOT FILLYFRIENDS! And for the last time I’m not a fillyfooler!”

Sweetie stared down Scootaloo, she was determined to get her answer, and to make Scootaloo stop lying about herself. “Then prove it!”

“Oh yeah, how!?”

“Kiss me,” said Sweetie plainly.

“K-K-Kiss you, why!?”

“If you kiss me, and don’t feel anything, then congratulations Scoots, you’re not a fillyfooler and we can pretend like this never happened!”

“And if I do…feel something that is…what then…?”

Sweetie was silent for a minute before saying, “That’s up to you, I guess…”

Scootaloo was shaking, doing this would prove to Sweetie Belle that she wasn’t one; all she had to do was fake her reaction. But what if she did feel something? Could she even hide it? It was all a risk, and either way, if she didn’t, this could put a serious strain on their friendship, and Scootaloo didn’t want to lose Sweetie Belle’s friendship, or any of their friends.

Scootaloo trotted towards Sweetie Belle till they were a foot away from each other. A fierce blush was prominent on both fillies’ faces, every now and again staring at a random spot in the room, trying to avoid eye contact. “So…how do we do this?”

“I guess, we can close our eyes, and just lean forward,” suggested Sweetie Belle.

“Y-Yeah…that sounds okay…”

Both gulped audibly, neither one trying to hide their nervousness. Sweetie was the first to close her eyes and lean forward, only a few inches, and was waiting for Scootaloo to meet her halfway. Scootaloo stared at Sweet Belle, her lips really, excitement and nervousness building in her at the same time, this was going to be her first kiss, she was completely nervicited. Eventually, Scootaloo did the same, closing her eyes and slowly inching her muzzle closer to Sweetie Belle’s.

In that moment, their lips met. It wasn’t some passionate kiss, more like an innocent butterfly kiss. They lingered there, a jolt of electricity shot through them both. It felt…right, Scootaloo couldn’t believe it, well she did, but she’d been spending so much time trying to deny that she wasn’t like that, that she was surprised at how nice it felt. But…something was wrong. There was something missing. Both fillies had always heard about how ponies in love always felt a “spark” when they kissed, the connection that told them they were meant to be.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle ended their kiss, confusion and tears plain in the unicorn’s eyes. Scootaloo didn’t know what to say, or if she even could say anything to make her feel better. Unfortunately, there was nothing she knew she could say that wouldn’t make this situation worse than it already was.

“Sweetie I…I…”

The unicorn filly lowered her head, hiding her face with her bangs. “Just…please leave, Scootaloo…”

The orange pegasus wanted to protest, she wanted nothing more than to go to her and give Sweetie Belle a hug. But the droplets of water that fell to the floor told her otherwise. With an aching heart, Scootaloo turned to leave the room, opening the door slowly, waiting to see if Sweetie Belle would call out to her. She glanced over her shoulder and saw that Sweetie had turned her back to Scootaloo.

She then opened the door, her heart and mind telling her to stay and leave at the same time. With last glance to make sure, Scootaloo stepped on the other side of the door and slowly closed it.

“I’m sorry…”

Scootaloo closed the door and started to walk downstairs to leave Carousel Boutique. She was spotted by Rarity, who was busy sewing together some new dress.

“Oh, Scootaloo, leaving so soon,” asked Rarity.

“…Yeah…”

Rarity was caught off guard by the normal spunky filly’s lackluster response. “Well…um, are you alright?”

“Rarity…I think…I think you should go and see Sweetie Belle, she needs you.”

“Wait, why does Sweetie Belle need me? Scootaloo, would please answer me, Scootaloo!?”

Rarity might as well have been talking to one of her mannequuins. Scootaloo had long since tuned her out, her feelings weighed heavy on her heart as she opened the door and left the Boutique.


(3 Days Later)

Adara had been wondering what was wrong with Scootaloo. For the past few days she had been acting strangely around her, avoiding her gaze, speaking less a few words to her, and anytime she tried to touch her Scootaloo would shirk away or swat her hoof.

For some reason, Scootaloo didn’t even want to go to Crusader meetings anymore, and curiously, Sweetie Belle was also absent from the meetings. Apple Bloom had no idea what was going on, and with her helping with the new orchard, couldn’t get away long enough to find out. So she entrusted Adara with the task of finding out.

Now that she thought about it, Scootaloo started acting weird the day she got back from Crusading with Sweetie Belle. Thinking it as good a place as any to start, Adara headed to Carousel Boutique to try and find out the cause behind her friends’ strange behavior.
Adara appeared at the doorstep to the Boutique and gently pushed the door open, “Hello…?”

“Just a minute, please, I’ll be right with you in a minute.” Adara watched as Rarity appeared from her workroom, carrying herself with all the poise of a professional. “Welcome to Carousel Boutique where –!” Rarity stopped in the middle of her introduction when she recognized the cerulean filly, “Oh, Adara, what brings you here?”

“Hi Ms. Rarity, I was wondering if I could speak to Sweetie Belle,” she asked.

Rarity seemed a bit hesitant to answer, her eyes glancing towards the stairs, or more accurately, she was looking beyond the stairs and at Sweetie Belle thoughtfully. “I’m not sure if Sweetie’s up for visitors at the moment, she’s been feeling…under the weather, as it were.”

Adara could tell by her tone that she knew that something was wrong with Sweetie Belle, but whether if it was out of sisterly concern or because she didn’t really know, Rarity seemed to not want her little sister disturbed. “Please, Rarity, I need to talk to her. Scootaloo’s been acting weird and so has she. Neither of them are talking to each other, and Scootaloo’s been…avoiding me, lately. It all seemed to start after they met up a couple of days ago, and I want to know what happened. I don’t like seeing either of them like this, please let me try and figure out what happened?”

Rarity looked at Adara; genuine concern was in her eyes, for Sweetie and Scootaloo. “Hmm…very well, I’ll let you go and see Sweetie, but please, she’s in a bit of fragile state.”

Rarity then led Adara up to Sweetie Belle’s room. The white unicorn knocked on her door attentively.

“Go away, I don’t want to talk right now, sis,” said Sweetie Belle, her voice sounding strained.

Adara looked up at Rarity, silently asking for her to try again. With a sigh, Rarity knocked once again, this time adding, “Sweetie Belle…I know you don’t want to see me, but there’s someone here to see you.”

There was silence for a moment, and then they heard the scuffling of hooves approaching the door. The knob twisted as Sweetie Belle slowly opened the door, a small smile on her face as she did so. But, when she fully opened the door, that smile faded into an annoyed frown as she turned her gaze on a particularly interesting part of the floor.

“…Oh, it’s you…”

“Now Sweetie Belle, is that anyway to talk to your friend? She’s come all the way here to see you, the least you could do is say hi,” scolded Rarity.

“…Hi…”

Adara wasn’t sure why, but she felt a large amount of tension and suppressed anger radiating from Sweetie Belle. “Hi…I was wondering if we could talk, you and Scootaloo have been acting a little weird as of late and…I wanted to see what was wrong.”

Sweetie glanced back at Adara, contemplating. After what felt like the most tension filled and slowly dragged out five seconds of Adara’s life, Sweetie Belle opened the door wider, inviting the pegasus filly in. Adara happily took the invitation and walked in, with Rarity close behind. That is, until Sweetie Belle got in front of her and put a hoof on Rarity’s chest to stop her from advancing any further.

“Only Adara,” she said.

“Sweetie, please, I want to help as well. How can I if you won’t tell me what’s happening,” asked Rarity.

“……You can’t, now go away.”

Sweetie backed away from her sister, closing the door in her face and leaving her looking flabbergasted. Adara turned around and saw that the frown she had was still prominent, only now, her eyes were focused on the pegasus filly, making Adara feel like she had just been caged in with a lioness who was stalking its prey.

Sweetie Belle walked towards Adara, paused for a moment, and then moved to hop onto her bed. Settling into the divot she made in her bed. “So, what do you want?”

Adara winced at that question, her words were dipped with a slight amount of hate, her Hope light could easily sense that there was a small amount of Rage building in Sweetie Belle, and whether if she was holding in for Adara’s or her own sake was anyone’s guess.

“Sweetie Belle, I know you’re upset –”


“What was your first clue?”

“ – but I can’t help you if you don’t tell me anything. Scootaloo is…sad, and she gives me these strange, pained filled looks and I don’t know why. We’re friends Sweetie Belle, so please, talk to me.”

Suddenly, Adara felt the Rage in Sweetie Belle spike. The unicorn filly jumped off her bed and stared angrily at Adara. “You want to know WHY!? It’s because she doesn’t…doesn’t love me, she loves YOU!”

Out of the thousand and one possible responses Adara anticipated Sweetie Belle to make, this didn’t even make it in the top five, in fact, this completely shattered any plans she had concocted to bring about a remedy to the situation. “Wh-what do you mean ‘loves me’?”

“Exactly what it sounds like…she loves you, Adara! I…I confessed to her, a few days ago, I promised myself that I was going to tell her how I really felt about her…” Sweetie Belle’s eyes began to well with tears. “It didn’t go like I wanted it to, but I did it, I told Scootaloo how I felt, and of course she denied liking fillies! I expected that! But…when we kissed…”

Adara felt a sharp pain in her heart when she heard that. “Y-y-you…kissed…?”

Hearing Adara’s strained voice seemed to only make her angrier. “Yes, my first kiss! But when we did I…I…I didn’t feel it! There was no connection, no spark, she didn’t love me…because somepony else was already there in her heart…!”

Adara now understood why Scootaloo was acting strange around her. She was confused, and possibly frightened with the feelings she had for her, and the pain she had inadvertently caused Sweetie Belle was hurting Scootaloo as well. It’s all my fault…Adara’s gaze was downcast as she spoke, “I’m sorry, Sweetie Belle…”

Sweetie Belle looked upon the pegasus filly incredulously, her brow knitted as she steadily advanced on Adara. “‘You’re sorry’…YOU’RE SORRY!!?” What happened next surprised Adara; Sweetie Belle had lunged at the cerulean filly, tackling her. The two of them tumbled about till Adara found herself on the floor, with Sweetie Belle’s teary eyed, rage filled, face looming over her. “If you weren’t here, Scootaloo would like me, not you! If you weren’t here I could make her happy, I could help her not feel ashamed of liking fillies, and we could’ve helped each other! But that’ll never happen because of you! Spending time with her in our clubhouse – our Cutie Mark Crusader Clubhouse – growing closer in a way I can’t even begin to understand! I WISH YOU WERE GONE!!!”

Adara knew Sweetie Belle was right, if she hadn’t intruded into their lives Sweetie Belle would be free to pursue Scootaloo. Indeed, if she never arrived in Ponyville, the two of them could be together. But…that’s not the case now. Adara loved, Scootaloo, she didn’t deny it. As much of a friend as she was to Sweetie Belle, she wasn’t going to just lie here on the floor and let Sweetie Belle speak to her that way. Adara was prepared to throw Sweetie Belle off her and give her few choice words of her own, but stopped.

Sweetie Belle’s rage filled expression slowly bled away, giving way to sadness. She began to sob, chocking back a lump that was forming her throat. “But…it’s also because of you that Scootaloo’s alive…” The unicorn filly’s legs began to tremble. “If you weren’t there, on that day, Scootaloo would be dead…I’d have lost her…and when I think about it, I don’t want you gone…You help me to keep
Apple Bloom and Scootaloo from doing something stupid…you watched over Scootaloo when all of us couldn’t…you…you understand her in a way I can’t…as angry as I am at you…I can’t hate you…I-I just can’t…! You’re…you’re my friend…”

Sweetie Belle couldn’t stand anymore; she collapsed onto Adara and cried into her chest. The Entity of Hope was surprised, at first, but that quickly changed as she carefully hugged Sweetie Belle, doing her best to comfort her and allow the heartbroken filly to let it out.
After a while, Sweetie Belle stopped crying and the two of them laid side-by-side on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. A heavy silence reigned within the room, neither filly really ready to talk, but knew that they had to. With a sigh, Adara spoke first, “So…what happens now?”

“I guess…You go and tell Scootaloo how you feel,” said Sweetie Belle.

“I really am sorry, for causing you all this heartache…”

Sweetie Belle placed her left hoof over Adara’s right. “No…don’t be. It does hurt, and, I don’t think it’ll stop, at least…not soon anyway.
But, as long as Scootaloo’s happy…then I’m happy.” Sweetie then turned her head to face Adara, “So you better make her happy. If you don’t I’ll take her away from you.”

“If it comes to that, then it’ll give me peace of mind knowing you’ll be there to do so,” replied Adara. “Do you…want me to stay…?”
“No, go and find her, and tell her. She’s probably off moping somewhere, blaming herself. Tell her I said hi.”
Adara rose up and got to her hooves, she then gave Sweetie Belle a kind smile, “I will.”

(Present)

“I can’t see Adara…I just can’t…”

Scootaloo’s emotions were still warring within her. The kiss she shared with Sweetie Belle had brought up what she had been trying hard to bury, dredging up feelings that she thought weren’t true. At one point, they were, she did have feelings for Sweetie Belle, but was too afraid, too scared about being ridiculed and called a fillyfooler to pursue them. And now, after all this time, when she shared her first kiss with Sweetie Belle, a filly, there was nothing. She liked kissing her, but there was nothing, she loved her, but not in the way she once had. Scootaloo knew exactly who occupied the space in her heart that was once Sweetie’s, but right now, it felt like she was betraying her.

But what was worse, was that all those fillies and colts from before she came to Ponyville, the ones who labeled her a fillyfooler, they were right, what was worse, Diamond Tiara was right. She could still deny it, that was an option, Scootaloo knew that Sweetie Belle wouldn’t say anything about their kiss, despite what happened, she was still her friend, and she knew that she still loved her regardless. But then Adara…if she had feelings for her, then continuing her façade would be unfair to her, and avoiding the filly wasn’t a viable option, Scootaloo had found herself in the proverbial rock and a hard place.

It was then that Scootaloo caught sight of something, but before she could blink the object sped by her in a multicolored trail. When she looked up, Scootaloo saw Rainbow Dash flying up above her. The cyan pegasus spotted her “little sister” and descended down to meet her.

Scootaloo couldn’t look her in the eye right now, she felt ashamed of herself. Twilight’s disappointment would hurt her when she found out the truth, but Rainbow Dash’s disappointment would crush her as effectively as somepony dropping a whole mountain on top of her.
Rainbow Dash landed next to Scootaloo, sitting beside her on the cloud. “We need to talk, Scoots.”

“About what…?”

Rainbow Dash sighed heavily, “I know what’s going on with you and Sweetie Belle.”

Scootaloo flinched, but kept her gaze low, “How did you…?”

“Know,” she finished, “Rarity told me.”

“You don’t have to worry; things are a little awkward right now. Sweetie Belle misunderstood how I felt about her, and she’s sad about it. I promise I’ll talk to her soon and get everything straightened out.”

“That’s good, but that’s not the real issue here, is it?”

Scootaloo looked up at her idol, “What issue, there is no issue?”

“Yes there is, Scoots. It’s about you lying to everypony, even yourself, about your real feelings,” said Rainbow Dash.

“What ‘real feelings,’ look, it was just a misunderstanding, that’s all!”

“A misunderstanding, huh, tell me, which part about you and Sweetie Belle kissing am I ‘misunderstanding’?”

Scootaloo jumped to her hooves and stared at Rainbow Dash wide eyed, “H-H-How do you know that!?”

“Because Rarity told us, that’s how.” Rainbow Dash turned her body to face Scootaloo as she prepared herself. “Adara went to go see Sweetie Belle today, she overheard them talking and found out what really happened between you two. Apparently they talk-argued about you, mostly Sweetie Belle talk-argued, but it sounds like they resolved it, so you shouldn’t need to sweat it.”

“……Did…Did Rarity overhear what Adara said about me?”

“She did, but I think that’s something she deserves to tell you personally, but right now, we have a bigger problem,” said Rainbow Dash.

“What,” she asked.

“The problem with you lying to yourself about what makes you happy, or in this case, who makes you happy.”

Scootaloo tensed up, and clenched her jaw; she then narrowed her gaze at Rainbow Dash. “Look, I. Am. Not. A. Fillyfooler! I can’t be because…because…!”

“Because then they’d be right.”

Scootaloo went silent, looking upon Rainbow Dash as if she had read her mind, or just guessed lucky at what she was going to say. “How did you know what I was going to say!?”

“‘Cause, you’re not the only one, Scoots.” Rainbow Dash took a moment to collect herself, dredging up memories, especially painful ones, wasn’t exactly something she liked. “This is something I should’ve told you the day you and Adara came to live with Twi.”

“When I was filly, I got teased. I was tomcolt growing up, I didn’t really care for dressing up or any of that girly stuff, still don’t really, and a lot of other fillies didn’t really want to play with me. When I would hang out with some of the colts, it was fun, but…every now and again I liked hanging with other fillies. I didn’t know why, but it was different, I felt…I guess the right word is, attracted to them. Course, I didn’t know what it meant, I was a kid, well, younger than you, Squirt.”

“Anyway, the older kids started to notice the way I acted around other fillies and started calling me, you guessed it, a fillyfooler. It spread to the colts and fillies in my class, and after that, no pony wanted to be around me. My only real friend back then was Fluttershy. I suspected she was one, too, but that’s not what made us friends. I thought that the only way to stop them from making fun of me was to bury my feelings, so deep, that it was barely a thought in the back of my head. I went through most of my life like that, I didn’t date anypony, the only friend I kept close was Fluttershy, and I thought that was enough. But then…”

Scootaloo gulped, “Then what…?”

Rainbow Dash smiled, “Then I met Twilight. It wasn’t the best of first impressions, but it’s not one she or I will ever forget. After she got coroneted, guess who she asked to teach her how to fly?” Rainbow Dash paused for a moment. “Yep, me. After that we hung out more and more, and not just during flying lessons. I found out that we had a lot in common, especially when it came to our love lives. And then, she did something that even surprised me. Twilight kissed me, and I kissed her back, and all the fear, all the angst and anger I felt about being labeled and teased, it all disappeared. And from then on, we became marefriends. We’ve been going slowly, telling our friends, at least, the ones who didn’t already figure it out. In a lot of ways, Scootaloo, we’re the same.”

Scootaloo had to sit down for a minute, to think that her idol, her big sister figure, had gone through the same things she was going through when she was a filly, it was, uplifting, it made her hopeful. “So, when Twilight mentioned her special somepony, she was talking about you!?”

“Bingo.”

“Oh wow…”

Rainbow Dash leaned forward and brought a hoof to rest on her shoulder. “I don’t want to see you making the same mistakes I did, Scoots. It took me a long time before I accepted who I am. You can lie to everypony if you want, they don’t need to know your personal stuff, so long as you stop lying to yourself, and stop denying what makes you happy. Otherwise, you’ll end up suffering, and not just you, either.”

Scootaloo smiled up at Rainbow Dash, “That sounded mushy. Don’t worry. I know you’ll deny it.”

“Actually, I won’t, not this time.” Scootaloo rushed forward and hugged Rainbow Dash. The prismatic mare wrapped a foreleg around Scootaloo, bringing her closer and nuzzling the top of her head.

Scootaloo separated herself from Rainbow Dash; she then went to the edge of the cloud and spread her wings. “I…I need to go and find Adara.”

“Go, Scoots, I’ll see you both back at Twilight’s later,” said Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo smiled confidently as she leaped off the cloud and zoomed off in search of her friend. Rainbow Dash watched the little filly fly until she vanished from sight.

“Good luck."


Adara flew through sky in search of Scootaloo. She stopped by the library to see if she was there, but did not find her. She then flew to Sweet Apple Acres and checked the clubhouse. Sadly, there was no sign that she was there. Adara once again searched, this time scanning the sky. She knew Scootaloo flew any chance she got; it was her way of making up for the time she spent grounded for so long. After what felt like hours, Adara was starting to think the unthinkable, that maybe Scootaloo had ran away from Ponyville. She wouldn’t, despite what has happened Scootaloo wouldn’t abandon all of us like that. Without realizing, Adara’s speed increased, her subconscious fueling her desperation to find Scootaloo, making her fly faster.

Suddenly, Adara rammed into something head first, knocking her back a few feet. She rubbed her throbbing head, wincing from the pain that radiated from the point of impact.

“Jeez, watch where you’re going! The sky’s big enough! Adara!?”

Her eyes flew open as she stared at the one she crashed into. “Scootaloo!?”

Both fillies seemed as if they had to resist the urge to hug one another, for fear of making the situation more awkward than it already was. Neither one spoke for a while, they just hovered there in the sky.

“Scootaloo –!”

“Adara –!”

“…….You first, Scootaloo,” said Adara.

“I think, we should talk, about…you know.” Adara nodded her head in agreement. Scootaloo looked around the area till her eyes spotted a cloud. “We can talk there, follow me.”

Scootaloo lead the way to a large fluffy cloud that drifted about. The two fillies landed on the large cloud, sitting across from each other. There was a good amount of tension, both had something to say, but were skittish about how the other would react. In the end, though, it seemed Scootaloo had something to get off her chest.

“Adara…I…I like fillies.”

Adara blinked, “Oh, okay.”

“And…I think I love you.” Scootaloo groaned loudly, ruffling her mane with her forehooves. “Ugh, that sucked! What kind of a confession
is that!? Sorry, this – I had this whole thing planned out in my head and now my mind’s a blank!”

Adara cracked a smile and chuckled lightly, glad for the change in the heavy mood that was settling on them earlier. “It’s fine, because I have feelings for you as well, Scootaloo.”

The orange filly stopped mussing her mane and looked at Adara. “Y-You do?”

“I do, I’ve been keeping my feelings secret for a long while. Practically sense the first day we met. I wasn’t sure what I was feeling, if I was simply infatuated with you, or if was a mere crush. But as time went on, I realized that it was more than that. Scootaloo, these past few months I’ve spent with you have been the happiest of my life, and believe me when I say, that is truly saying something.” It was here that Adara’s voice turned just a bit somber. “But, I know of your unwillingness to admit to the kind of pony you like, I am happy that you told me, but I don’t want you be the subject of ridicule. That’s why I won’t force you into anything; know that I’ll be here when you’re ready.”

Scootaloo smirked, “Wow that blew away anything I had planned. But you’re right, I don’t want to be made fun of, and you’re also right about how I don’t want to tell anypony. But you know what I say?” Scootaloo paused watching Adara look upon her in anticipation for her answer. “Buck them and what they think!”

“Scootaloo!”

“Look, you’ve been there for me, helping me through not one, but two of the worst moments of my life. You’ve seen me when I was at my lowest, and I got really, really low last time. You even trusted me with your secret, something that you were afraid to show any other pony and saved me at least four times with it! Compared to your secret, mine’s nothing.” Scootaloo moved closer to Adara. “You make me happy Adara, I mean that.”

A tear ran down Adara’s cheek as a joyous smile spread across her face. Smiling was infectious, because Scootaloo seemed to mimic the same one Adara had. It was then that the orange filly got an idea.

“Adara?”

“Yes?”

“Do you remember all those times when you draped your wing over me when we slept in the clubhouse?” Adara thought it over and nodded an affirmative. “Did you know that’s called a Wing Embrace? It’s a pegasus custom that shows affection, it’s mostly used, for parents and children, close friends or siblings, and…special someponies.”

Adara’s face went red, “Oh, I’m sorry, Scootaloo! I had no idea that I was making you uncomfortable!”

“No I liked it, it made me feel safe, but, this time,” Scootaloo extended her right wing, “I want to do it for you.”

Adara needed no convincing she stepped forward till she was sitting next to Scootaloo, allowing her wing to fold around Adara and bring her close to where their forelegs were rubbing against each other. Adara felt the warmth of Scootaloo’s body and the close downy soft feeling of her feathers as they brushed against her back and side. It felt right, for the both of them. But, for Scootaloo, there was one last thing she needed to do make sure of.

“There’s something else I want to do, but we don’t have to, it’s totally up to you,” said Scootaloo.

“Go on, ask,” she said.

“Can we…kiss?”

Adara slowly separated from Scooatloo, but still remained in the Wing Embrace. She knew why Scootaloo asked, after what Sweetie Belle told her. It made Adara nervous, would the “spark” happen if they did kiss? If it didn’t, did that mean that all these feelings she felt for Scootaloo meant nothing, a product of her imagination? She almost said no, if it weren’t for the look in Scootaloo’s eyes. There was glint in her eyes, like a blue star.

Adara nodded her head.

Scootaloo and Adara leaned forward, closing their eyes. Slowly but surely they drifted towards each other. And then it happened. Their lips met. And the “spark” was lit. Adara and Scootaloo felt a kind of intense surge, like electricity, course through their bodies. It was powerful, yet not overwhelming, connecting them. At that same time, Adara’s cutie mark appeared on her flanks. The symbol upon them glowed with a soft blue light; this light flowed up into the sky and burst forth, filling the skies in every direction with the blue light of Hope. The light flowed like an aurora, spider webbing out far over the land.


(Library, 10 Seconds Earlier)

Twilight awaited Rainbow Dash’s return, standing outside the library as she paced back and forth. Soon she spotted her lover zooming in her direction. The daredevil mare did a somersault in the air before landing on the ground in one fluid motion.

“So…?”

“I told her, she looked like she got the idea, now I guess we wait,” said Rainbow Dash.

“That’s good, at least. Did you tell her the reason why she came to live me and not you,” asked Twilight.

“I figured telling her that I’m moving in with you would be too much, better to not overwhelm Scoots,” said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight smiled at the thoughtfulness of her marefriend. She then stepped closer and gave the rainbow maned mare an affectionate nuzzle, in plain view of everypony who was walking about.

“Um, Twi, you do know what you’re doing right?”

“I do, and I don’t care.” She stopped for a moment and looked into Rainbow Dash’s eyes. “How can we tell Scootaloo that it’s okay to feel this way, if we don’t come clean in front of everypony? It’s not only hypocritical, but it’s wrong to her.”

Rainbow Dash smirked, she then leaned in closer and returned the affectionate nuzzle. “And that’s why I love you.”

At that moment the sky lit up with blue shimmering light. Everypony in town stopped and stared at the spectacle in awe, there was no fear, the light did not feel threatening or hostile, but instead, it felt strong, protective, and comforting. Twilight and Rainbow Dash both gazed up at the waving blue light. Twilight had a good idea where this light was originating from, and silently offered up a small prayer of thanks.

“Twi, what’s going on? I feel, funny. Not in a bad way, but like in a good way, does that make sense” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Don’t worry, Rainbow. This light, it’s just a sign of good things to come.”


(Fluttershy’s Cottage)

Fluttershy, Angel, and Proselyte looked up into the sky as the blue aurora flowed overhead. Many of the animals around the area also stopped and watched as the blue light bathed everything in its radiance.

“Oh my, what’s going on,” asked Fluttershy, more in awe than out of fear.

Above Proselyte’s forehead, the symbols of Hope and Love shined brightly. The pegasus colt smiled knowingly.

“Nothing to be alarmed of Fluttershy, it is merely the promise of different light,” said Proselyte.

“That made no sense whatsoever,” commented Angel.

Fluttershy then gave him a scolding look.

“Well it doesn’t,” he muttered.


(Crystal Empire)

The blue aurora continued to reach out to the furthest parts of Equestria. The Crystal Ponies of the Empire all stopped what they were doing and watched as the light fell over their empire, filling their hearts with Hope’s light. At the Crystal Palace, standing at the balcony, were Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, and Predator, all three gazing up together at the beautiful sight before them.

“What the hay is going on,” asked Shining Armor.

Cadance’s horn lit up, the light was laced with strong feelings of love and hope, washing over everything and giving those under its light peace. She glanced over to Predator; her body was flaring with her light of Love, taking on the form of sparkling, floral like patterns.

“Predator?”

“I’m fine, it would seem my ‘little sister’ has just discovered the joys of love,” said Predator.

I’m proud of you, Adara.


The light of Hope began to fade, returning the skies to their original blue tint. Adara and Scootaloo separated from their kiss, a fierce blush mirrored in the other’s face. They both looked up into the sky and watched as the last remnants of the blue aurora faded away. Scootaloo noticed that Adara’s cutie mark had appeared as well, which seemed to also surprise Adara herself. It was then that she put two and two together, making Scootaloo get a little bit nervous.

“Do you think anyone saw that?”

Author's Note:

Next Time in MLP: The Entities of Emotion:

"I'm sorry Spike, I can't go gem hunting today."

"Heya Spike!"

"Get the Dragon! We'll make those ponies pay!"

"My, my, what have we here? Sssomething exciting?!"

Intermission Episode: Spike's New "Friend"

PreviousChapters Next