• Published 13th May 2013
  • 338 Views, 8 Comments

The Magic Within - PoisonInk



In a world where pony kinds are separated, being an earth pony in a unicorn colony is an impossibility.

  • ...
0
 8
 338

First day

Dream Magic stared back at her empty reflection. To any other pony, the pony staring back at her was an average pale green earth pony with a long, choppy, multi-shaded blue mane. Gold eyes stared back, sad and lonely, but through Dream Magic’s eyes all she saw was was a hornless, useless earth pony with dusty green fur and a ragged blue mane, gold eyes dull and lifeless, as if nothing was behind them.

She was an earth pony with nothing special about her. Everyone else at her school had always had magic, always had a purpose. The only thing she was apparently good for was being the sick joke of the unicorn society. The powerless earth pony, adopted by unicorns, living in a world with magic. Being a pony without a horn, left you powerless.

“Dream Magic! Hurry up or you will be late for school!” Her mother, Vanilla Spice called from below. Dream turned slowly, looking down the stairs that led away from the loft of her bedroom. She sighed, sliding her saddle bag around her before trotting down the stairs.

“There you are, sweet tart,” Her mother smiled down at her. “Hurry up now, its your first day of highschool, and it wouldn’t help your reputation if you were late!

“Being late can’t make it much worse.” Dream sighed. Vanilla Spice frowned.

“Dream Magic, are you worried those ponies will be cruel to you again?”

“I know they will mom!” Dream snapped. “They always do! I didn’t ask to be born an earth pony, yet they resent me for it!”

“You know me and your father love you for who you are, you shouldn't care what those other ponies think-”

“But I do! You don’t know what’s its like being the only earth pony in a world of powerful unicorns! I have nothing.” Vanilla Spice shook her head, her white mane curling around her face. Bright Risk stepped forward, his green eyes soft.

“You have two parents who love you, Dream Magic. You are our entire world, and we would never want you to change. We don’t care if you don’t have a horn. We just want you to be you.” Dream Magic shook her head angrily.

“I’d rather be me with a horn.” Her adoptive parents glanced at each other. Vanilla Spice sighed, nuzzling her daughter.

“Get on now, you mustn't be late.” Her mother handed her her lunch. Dream Magic sighed, trotting out the door. She expected to see her one and only friend, Shimmer, the only unicorn besides her parents to ever accept her and be her friend. But the blue unicorn was nowhere to be seen.

‘Weird, we always walk to school together.’ Dream Magic thought, shrugging. She guessed her friend was running late too. She had a habit of sleeping in and being late, especially to the first day of school. Dream shook her head sadly and went on ahead to the gates of Enchanter’s High School. She could already see other ponies snickering at her.

Old fillyhood tormentors watched her walk through the gates, already planning on ways to make her life miserable. No pony was more horrible to her than Vibrato. The light pink unicorn had decided since the first time she laid her light green eyes on Dream’s hornless form that it would be her life’s mission to make her know she didn’t belong here; that she wasn’t worthy to be among them.

‘Like I didn’t already know that.’ She thought bitterly.

“Well if it isn’t No Magic” A angelic voice echoed.

‘Speak of the devil’

“It’s Dream Magic.” She replied quietly, praying to not start a scene. She had tried ignoring Vibrato in the past, but only made the purple maned unicorn attack more viciously, Dream quickly learned the best way to avoid too much insults to injury was take whatever petty insults the popular unicorn sent her way.

“More like nightmare.” The unicorn sneered.

“How was your concert last night?” Dream asked shyly, hoping Vibrato’s tendency to brag would indulge her to take the focus off of her. No such luck.

“Amazing as usual. Singing is my special talent after all” She smirked, showing off her quarter note cutie mark. “Not that you would know anything about that.” She gestured to Dream’s blank flank. Most of her schoolmates had discovered their special talents back in elementary, but Dream Magic was one of the few with her flank still bare.. The only other pony she knew of without their cutie mark was her friend Shimmer, more due to laziness and lack of trying to find her special talent.

Dream Magic bowed her head, attempting to look ashamed, silently pleading for Vibrato to get bored and to leave her alone to her thoughts. Her prayers seemed to be answered when Vibrato suddenly straightened, fixing up her mane, staring at a place behind her. Dream didn’t have to turn around to know that Spell Caster, the most powerful unicorn in class, had appeared. He was the main attraction of all the female unicorns in the school. Even Dream had to admit he was quite handsome, with his silver fur, his dark black mane streaked with what appeared to be liquid gold, and a complex cutie mark of crescent moon, casting over a sun, with a star shaped wand appearing over both celestial objects.
“Spell Caster!” Her tormentor called, waving over to the unicorn behind her. Dream Magic glanced back over her shoulder, meeting his dark green eyes. He glanced away from her, barely taking in her presence before trotting up to meet with the pink unicorn. She obviously held a great affection for him as any other mare here. She tossed back her mane fluttering her eyes as she spoke to him. He nodded, but seldom responded with anything but a couple a short statements. Spell Caster was a very serious pony, Dream had noted.

He was always focused in school, and didn’t say much about anything but magic and work. He was a genius who never got anything below an A. He himself had never been mean to Dream, or talked down to her, but Dream had noticed every time a pony mocked her, he would seem to study her, as if to watch what her reaction would be. Every time she would shyly stare at her hooves, or mutter a weak ‘I’m sorry you feel that way’ , he would roll his eyes, look away, or even have the audacity to glare or snort at her. He clearly had the same feelings about an earth pony living in the unicorn word. He must have resented her for it, only he had the sense not to take it up with her.

Dream slowly went past the two, taking their distraction of each other to sneak away from the cruel eyes of the unicorns. She slid silently into a back seat; she always sat in the back of class, closest to the door. As the soon as the bell rang, she could get the buck out of there.

She wasn’t the first pony in the class, she noticed. Her first class, Unicorn History, already contained one other pony, the teacher, Distorted Dreams. He was a stallion unicorn with an alabaster coat and purple and black streaked mane and tail that was slightly ragged as if he didn’t attempt to deal with it that morning. Upon closer inspection, she noted all the gell sticking in his mane, giving it its wild bed head look.

‘This pony must really be into style’.

On his flank was a yin yang symbol. He was at the front of the class, sitting silently at his desk, staring out the window as if willing the day to be already over.

‘Looks like I’m not the only one.’ Dream Magic thought silently.

Soon enough, more ponies filed into the classroom. More than one knocked over Dream’s books, and many more than a few openly mocked her, or shouldered her on their way into the classroom. Spell Caster strolled by, not giving her a single glance. He was a junior this year, so he spent this hour as a teacher assistant to the freshponies who were taking this class. It was some sort of credit you needed to graduate. Vibrato followed after him, sending a glare towards Dream and mock whispering ‘We’re stuck with the hornless freak again.’

It was true enough. Every year, Dream had always somehow managed to end up in a torture-filled class with the pink mare. Nopony made any move to sit near her. Dream Magic felt a flash of hope as a familiar blue unicorn with choppy, light purple mane entered the classroom, a blank flank where her cutie mark should be.

“Shimmer!” Dream called to her friend. Maybe this year wouldn't be so bad after all But as her friend's green eyes met hers, she saw a flash of embarrassment. Shimmer trotted past her,not giving her even a hint of acknowledgement. Shimmer instead ignored her and slid into a seat next to Vibrato, giving her a huge smile, and started chatting with her excitedly. Vibrato laughed at something Shimmer said, not even bothering to tease the blue unicorn about her blank flank.

Dream Magic stared at her hooves, tears threatening to spill. Her one friend, the one pony who could help her through her year was now besties with her worst bully? Her thoughts were so wrapped up in the information she didn’t notice the chestnut stallion with spiked up black mane slide into the seat next to hers.

“This seat taken?” His voice suddenly asked. Her eyes shot up, meeting his blue ones.

“N-No” Dream stuttered. The brown unicorn smirked, kicking up his hooves onto the desk. “Well it is now,”

“What game are you trying to play?” Dream asked. No pony ever wanted to sit next to her. No pony ever acknowledged her long enough past the occasion insult or shove.

“What game? I merely wanted to sit next to a pretty mare.” He smiled jokingly at me.

“Time Warp, I see you're late again.” Distorted Dreams frowned at the unicorn. Time Warp shrugged his shoulders.

“Why change tradition?” The stallion smiled back at the teacher who, in turn, rolled his eyes with a slight smile on his face before starting roll.

“You know the teacher?” Dream asked the pony sitting beside her..

“Sure, I have taken this class before.” Dream stared at him in shock.

“You’re a sophpony?”

“Actually, I’m a junior. This is my third year taking his class. I’m not stupid though, don’t get me wrong. I’m just lazy.” Warp laughed, earning a small smile from Dream Magic.

“Time Warp is here...Dream Magic?” Distorted Dreams called out. The mare shakily raised her hoof, hating how everypony was staring at her.

“You're an earth pony.” The teacher stated calmly. Not as an insult, more of a statement. She could hear the class snort and whisper to each other, casting cruel looks her way. The only ponies not talking about her were Spell Caster, who was taking notes at his desk, and Time Warp, sitting beside her and idly doodling on his paper, a pencil in his mouth.

‘Why isn’t he using magic to write?’ Dream though silently before finally answering the teacher.

“Y-yes I am. I w-was adopted as a y-young filly” Distorted Dreams nodded before a smile spread across his face.

“Ah, yes. I've heard of you. Good on you, making it this far without any capability of magic.”

“That’s me.” She nodded, glancing at Time Warp who winked at her.

“It takes a special pony to do that,” he added so only she could hear.

Dream Magic let out a small smile. The teacher then explained this class period was about getting to know your seating partner, leaving Dream Magic paired with Time Warp.

“Looks like I’m one lucky pony getting such a cute mare as my partner.” He laughed leaning towards Dream, who snorted.

“Please, as if a unicorn like yourself wants anything to do with an earth pony like me.”

“Who cares if you're an earth pony? You still have hooves, a mane and cutie mark don’t you?” Dream Magic flinched, glancing at her blank flank. Time Warp looked guilty, before rambling. “Not that you have to already have your cutie mark, that will come in eventually. I mean I only just got my cutie mark a couple years ago, it’s an hourglass if you can see. So many years in this class I kinda became an expert and I’m really interested in time and space fabrication and stuff-” To his surprise Dream laughed at his flustered expression, something she hadn't done in a while.

“Its fine, I’m okay with being a blank flank, it draws the bullies attention away from my hornless head most of the time.”

“Well buck them. I think your hornless, cutie markless self is just fine.” He smirked playfully bumping her shoulder with his.

“Most ponies would like to be more than fine, Time Warp” She responded smiling.

They talked the rest of the hour, comparing likes and dislikes, proving to be pretty different ponies. Time Warp liked darker, loud colors while she preferred soft, blending colors. He liked the night stars where she would rather gaze at clouds. Despite their differences, they seemed to click as they never stopped smiling at each other. Soon enough, class was over and ponies were filing out of class so fast they didn't even have the time to insult her. She would normally shuffle out of class too, but she found herself patiently waiting for Time Warp to gather his things.

“What class do you have next?” He asked her, sliding on his black saddle bag.

“Literature with...Swift Scrip.” She replied, hesitating on the name.

“Cool, me too!”

“How many classes have you failed?”

“Only the important ones.” He winked at her, following her out of class. She glanced at the last student in the room. Spell Caster was shuffling through papers when he suddenly glanced up at her. Dark green met gold, this time not looking away with a snort. Instead, he merely nodded before putting away his work and walked past them and out of the room.

“That was weird.” Dream whispered, half to herself.

“What was?” Warp asked, blue eyes glancing her way.

“He never even paid attention to me before...”

“That stallion’s head is so wrapped up in books he doesn't notice anypony other than himself.” Time Warp snorted coldly, trotting out of the class. Dream Magic only watched him for a couple seconds, wondering what had caused the sudden change in Time Warp’s attitude. The chestnut stallion suddenly turned back towards her with a smile.

“Are you coming or not?” He asked. Dream Magic smiled, adjusting her saddle bags.

“Coming.”

Author's Note:

So.... yeah. Much longer than the prologue :) Chapters will also get longer throughout the story

If you want links to the main characters pictures, here they are-

Dream Magic- to be drawn

Time Warp- to be drawn

Spell Caster- to be drawn

Vibrato- to be drawn

Shimmer- to be drawn

Link to larger version of the cover art- http://allmunkedup.deviantart.com/art/The-Magic-Within-371350180?ga_submit_new=10%253A1368412230

Link to Spell caster cutie mark (its complicated) - http://petelrain.deviantart.com/art/Spell-Casters-Cutiemark-371326345?ga_submit_new=10%253A1368404117

All pictures (except cutie mark) drawn by RushingAutumnLeaves

Time Warp belongs to - Me

Spell Caster belongs to - Me

Shimmer belongs to- RushingAutumnLeaves (my best friend)

Vibrato belongs to- RushingAutumnLeaves

Distorted Dreams belongs to- CaptainButch

Swift Scrip belongs to- Kail

I'll still need more OC's throughout the story, so if you have any please leave them in the comments (with an actual comment about my story please)

Please comment, like, and be a stalker and watch