• Published 26th May 2013
  • 8,456 Views, 514 Comments

Roadtrip - totallynotabrony



Let's drive to a brony convention with Queen Chrysalis riding shotgun

  • ...
31
 514
 8,456

Chapter 7

July 5, 2013
The day started off early. Getting in line for convention badges was important. I had heard stories that waiting too long could result in hours of delay standing in line.

At least I was traveling light. I had a few business cards with my username printed on them, but little else. My phone and car keys would only get in the way, and my gun was against the rules of the convention center.

Maria and I had our badges waiting for us. The badge I had added for Chrysalis had been made in time for the ‘con and bore the name Chrissy. Maria and I had decided to tell people that she was my cousin.

Chrysalis’ head was on a swivel all morning, taking in the sights and sounds of the other convention attendees. She spent a while studying cosplayers, how they dressed up like their favorite characters. The pony ears, horns, and wings probably looked a little strange to her, although in thinking about it, I supposed plastic accessories to represent animated ponies looked a little strange to me too. No matter that a mohawk could vaguely be taken as a mane, I myself wasn’t into dressing up.

A white Power Ranger wearing a Kriegsmarine jacket walked by. I didn’t know what that had to do with pony cosplay, but maybe I just wasn’t getting the joke. There certainly were a wide range of costumes out there, from amazing, to minimal, to just plain weird.

The weather was warm, and a few people with outrageous clothing might have been suffering. Some may have noticed my long sleeves. My arm had stopped hurting so I didn’t have any tics to give away my injury. I had almost forgotten about it, really.

Chrysalis, too, was looking healthier. It was difficult to tell that she’d ever been missing a limb. Maria and I had talked her into toning down her admittedly distracting physical appearance. She wore simple clothing and blended in as just another person.

After getting our badges, we took a moment to scan the list of events. Some voice actors from the show were present. The things that I focused on, however, were the writing panels.

Mr. Tristan thought I could speak or something, and in the previous months while I was considering coming to Everfree Northwest, he offered me a chance to spread advice to other authors. I figured I could handle that, and was set to appear on a few writing panels.

If you're not familiar, a panel is where a couple of people sit at the front of the room and talk to people in the rest of the room about a particular subject. It helps if the speakers know more about it than the listeners.

The first panel was that morning. I showed up, talked my bit, and occasionally let the other panelists break in. Like most fan conventions, it eventually turned into a friendly banter that still managed to answer some questions and dispense with helpful advice. I myself learned a few things.

The other people on the panel were from the ponyfiction site I used, and included a few names that I had heard of. Maria and Chrysalis sat in the audience. It was comforting to have them close, as there was nobody else in the room that I had ever met before.

There were a few other panels scheduled for the afternoon. Chrysalis seemed bored with writing, and Maria guided her away to tour the exhibition hall. I stayed behind in the panel room to hang out with a few people.

One guy who had been fairly vocal during the panel approached and offered his hand in greeting. “Hi, I’m Gary Oak.”

I chuckled a little but said, “I don’t recognize that username.”

He shook his head, the world weary gesture of someone who is continually confused with a fictional character. “No, my name really is Gary Oak.”

“Oh.” I paused. “Nice to meet you.”

He carried a Rainbow Dash plushie and some other merchandise probably bought at the vendors’ hall. My mind wandered a little. I wondered if Maria was in a buying mood. I also wondered if Chrysalis would want anything. There were probably changeling toys available. Maybe it would remind her of home.

I hung out with Gary for a while until it was time for a screening of a new My Little Pony documentary about fanfiction. As it turned out, Mr. Tristan himself was hosting. I stayed in the back of the dim room and watched the projected movie. Tristan was the only presenter, but seemed to have things under control all by himself.

The documentary covered a few very well known authors and their thoughts on the fandom. I picked up a few things that I might be able to use. Right after the screening was a Q&A session to help make it better. A lot of the audience members had helpful suggestions.

It’s always seemed to me that the brony community went above and beyond to help their fellows. The charitable assistance regarding the documentary was a good example. In the rest of the convention, I had no doubt that Chrysalis would find enough love to consume. That put me off my happy mood. Pretty much any time I thought about changelings’ emotivore ways I felt weirded out.

Luckily, the next event was a meetup for authors and readers. I saw Gary again, as well as several people who read my stuff. Tristan also stopped by and introduced me to a few other people.

The big name in the room was The General. Whereas I had about the same number of online followers as an army battalion had personnel, he had a whole brigade; hence the title. His most famous work was some fic about Nightmare Moon being reborn as a filly in Twilight Sparkle’s care.

The General and I talked a little, and then Tristan broke in to ask if I was hungry. It was getting towards evening and I hadn’t had dinner yet. Getting some food sounded great.

We quickly made plans. Tristan grabbed a few of his friends and I went to find Maria and Chrysalis. I actually felt more comfortable with taking the changeling queen out with a group of bronies because they would probably pass off any weirdness as just the effects of the ‘con.

We walked a short distance to a place called 13 Coins. I had heard about the restaurant from Tristan, but never been there before. Based on the snatches of conversation that I heard when we walked in, I decided we’d found the right place.

“…it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white, a midget is still a midget…”

“…and that’s how you get your kicks, stalking people…?”

“…but everypony’s gay for Braeburn…”

Tristan seemed to have caught the last one and picked it up, putting on a rather ridiculous, completely fabulous, tone of voice that entertained us for the rest of the evening.

Chrysalis didn’t seem to get the joke. I wondered if the ratio of mares to stallions depicted in the show was correct. It seemed to me that there were about five mares for every one stallion which either implied polygamy or at least some elements of homosexuality. Then again, if changelings didn’t form personal small-group relationships both concepts might be foreign to her.

When the others turned the conversation inward, I slid over to Maria and held a whispered conversation. “So what did you two do today?”

She shrugged. “I watched Chrysalis. I think she was eyeing the cosplay. She mentioned that participating in that would put her in the direct path of more emotion.”

I shook my head. God help us all if that came to pass.

Author's Note:

Thanks to kingtiger666, GaryOak, Piquo Pie, and Pen Stroke

Special recognition to Silver Quill for giving me the term "emotivore"