• Published 13th May 2013
  • 5,517 Views, 353 Comments

Free to Fly - I am not a Dalek



Sequel to Trapped. Rainbow Dash and Soarin' are both out of the hospital, and have one month to spare before Soarin' returns to the Wonderbolts HQ.

  • ...
5
 353
 5,517

Saying Farewell

Chapter 10- Saying Farewell

I wake up with a pounding headache to find that I'm sprawled out on my sitting room floor, surrounded by the Wonderbolts who are in the same state that I'm in. Groaning, I push myself up to my hooves and look around the room to analyse what damage that's been done. Fortunately, not a lot.

As I try to remember what happened last night, I look around and find dozens of empty cider mugs littering the floor. It didn't take Fetlock Holmes to piece my fuzzy, and quickly fading, memory to the cider mugs. All I remember doing last night is bringing the alcohol and... Well that's about it.

I squint at the clock pinned above my television and find that it's almost six AM. The Wonderbolts will be leaving soon; I wonder who will have the task of waking up a hung-over Spitfire. Horsefeathers, it's going to be me considering the state of the others. Oh, sweet Celestia, who will save me now?

Soarin' is lying on his front, fast asleep, snoring softly. Maybe I could wake him up and get him to do the dangerous task of disturbing the captain from her peaceful slumber. Slowly, I walk over and poke Soarin's side. All I get in return is a groan and a snort before he rolls over, turning his back from me.

"Soar, wake up," I whisper as I nudge him with the tip of my hoof.

Still, Soarin' refused to stir. I turn my head and pluck one of my feathers from my wing and tickling him with it. Soarin's body twitches slightly and suddenly his eyes shoot open as he laughs uncontrollably. Once I see that he's awake, I drop the feather and grin at him.

"Good morning, sweetie!" I beam at him as he rubs his head in confusion.

"Why do I have such a bad headache?" he groans.

I laugh softly and help him to his hooves. "You're hung-over. March on through it, soldier, that's what I'm doing."
Even though my head is pounding, I pretend I can't feel anything, like I do with everything else. At least the screaming hasn't come back, yet. I know Twilight's spell is effective, but I also know that it's not going to make it all disappear so easily.

"Don't the others need to get going soon?" Soarin' asks as he glances around at his sleeping teammates.

Even though this isn't a laughing situation, it's still hilarious. Spitfire is hanging off the back of the sofa, her mane a complete mess. Fleetfoot has somehow managed to make her way to the top of one of the cupboards in the kitchen, and she seems to be sleeping comfortably there. Wave Chill, Rapidfire and Misty Fly have ended up piled up together on the floor in a drunken heap.

I glance at Soarin', trying to find a way to break the news to him. "Exactly, so it's your job to wake up Spitfire, right? Considering you're second in command and everything."

Soarin's face literally pales, and he looks as if he's going to be sick, the fact that he's hung-over probably isn't helping. "I-I can't, Dashie, can't you do it? She would kill me. She's like the She-Devil when you disturb her even if she's sober; imagine if you disturbed her when she was hung-over!"

I roll my eyes and nod. "Fine, but you owe me."

Soarin' sighs in relief and wraps his hooves around my neck. "Thank you, Dashie! You're the best, you're brilliant and you're awesome!"

"Okay, okay, chill with the compliments. It's not going to be that bad. Why don't you wake the others?" I pull away slightly and look at him to find a smirk forming across his face.

"You don't have to worry about them. Spitfire will take care of them." he snickers.

I laugh softly and kiss his cheek before pulling away. "You really are evil, aren't ya?"

Soarin' grins before running up the stairs to my room, for safety. I think back to my time at the Wonderbolts Academy, and understand why Soarin' is running away. It was bad enough spending a few weeks with Spitfire like that, let alone your entire career. Still, it was fun and I loved every second of it. It kind of hurts to think that I have to wait a year to return, all because of that stupid race that I lost.

Slowly, and cautiously, I walk over to Spitfire. I take a deep breath before reaching out and shaking her. She groans slightly, and mumbles under her breath before thrashing her hooves about angrily, making me jump back in shock.

"U-Um, Captain, you need to be heading off soon." I whisper and shake her again.

Spitfire's eyes shoot open and she sends me a glare. "What time is it?"

"It's, uh, ten past six, ma'am." I straighten reflexively, like a meek soldier presenting herself in front of her commanding officer.

The yellow mare stays silent for a few moments as she climbs to her hooves and analyses the state her comrades are in.

Suddenly, she steps back before shouting: "Alright, fillies, time to get your flanks up and back to Cloudsdale. Now!"

Groans from the rest of the Wonderbolts fill the room and a groggy Wave Chill mumbles, "Who was cruel enough to wake up the captain before us?"

Spitfire growls and takes a step towards Wave Chill who has now escaped pushed a confused Misty and Rapid off of him as he cowers back against a wall.

"Wave Chill, do you want to be the one to carry back all of our luggage?" she hisses.

Wave Chill shakes his head, his dark blue mane flopping from side to side as he does so. "N-No, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am."

Spitfire smirks and flies over to Fleetfoot and pulls her down from the top of the cupboard. Fleetfoot shrieks and catches
herself by fluttering her wings.

"All of you get your flanks over here with your belongings." Spitfire glances around the room. "And Soarin', you better come out of your hiding place or we'll drag your sorry flank back with us."

Everypony slowly moves as they gather their stuff, trying to hide the fact that their heads are killing them. A sheepish Soarin' appears at the top of the stairs and he flies down slowly before standing beside me.

"I told you she was like a She-Devil," he whispers to me.

Spitfire, who has obviously heard him, glares at Soarin' which makes him yelp in shock and hide behind me.

"I'm gonna start the countdown." Spitfire warns causing everypony to go from dead slow to as fast as possible.

"Oh Celestia, please don't do the countdown!" Fleetfoot begs in fear.

It's obvious that the Wonderbolts have to deal with Spitfire like this quite often; she definitely fits the role of captain. No wonder Captain Hurricane picked her. Even though they are all like a family, they still know when to stop joking around because Spitfire has the control.

"Five, four, thr-" Spitfire stops to find that all of her comrades are standing in their military stance with their right hooves on their foreheads.

"Good, right, we need to be heading off..." She glances around the room to find what mess they'll be leaving behind. "Sorry about the mess, Rainbow, I'm sure Soarin' will be willing to help, won't you, Soar?"

"Y-yes, ma'am!" He nods in fear and I smirk slightly.

I step forward and hug Spitfire, causing the others to gasp in fear.

"D-Dashie, I wouldn't do that if I were you!" Soarin' warns and I simply roll my eyes.

Spitfire laughs softly and returns the hug. "I'm not that evil, guys, c'mon. Thanks, Dash, you can come visit any time and keep an eye out for the letter calling you back to the Academy next year. It was nice spending time with you, Rookie."

I smile and nod. "I'm sorry that I can't be on your team sooner, Captain. Don't worry, though, I'll be back and I won't be giving up so easy."

"That's what I like to hear. Say your goodbyes everypony; we have two minutes before we take off," she tells them before going to say goodbye to Soarin'.

Wave Chill walks over and hugs me tightly. "Take good care of my brother, okay?" he whispers in my ear.
I smile and nod. "Of course I will."

"And if you need anything, we're always a letter away. We'll probably see you around a lot more now that you're with Soar, anyway." he smirks as a blush forms on my cheek.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll see ya, Wave." I shake my head as I try to get rid of the blush.

"Good race, the other day, Dash. You almost kicked all of our flanks. Next time, you will for sure." Fleetfoot smiles and hugs me.

I smile as I watch everypony say their goodbyes to Soarin'. Rapidfire walks over to me once he's done, and he looks at his hooves guiltily.

"Hey, Dash. I'm sorry about before, you know, the race. I thought you were gonna win for sure. If I had known..." he mumbles, pawing the floor.

I place a hoof on his dark fur. "It's fine, Rapid. I thought I was gonna win for sure, too," I pause and laugh softly. "I just need to get over my fears first; I wouldn't have stopped except..." I trail off and shake my head. "Anyway, the point is I should have known I wasn't in a fit state to fly. It's not your fault. Anyway, I'll be back, don't you worry about that."

Rapidfire nods slightly and walks back next to Spitfire. "See you in a few weeks' time, Soar, don't cause too much havoc here." he smirks and Soarin' laughs.

"Can't make any promises. See you guys later." He waves as they take off and head towards Cloudsdale.

"See ya!" They all call and wave. "Thanks, Dash!"

Finally, the house is silent and I glance up at Soarin'. "How about we go back to bed?"

"That sounds like a great idea!" he grins.

We fly back up to my bedroom silently, too tired to talk as we collapse on the bed, falling asleep before our heads even hit
the pillow.

****

The Wonderbolts fly away from Rainbow's cloudhome, as Ponyville grows smaller beneath them. Spitfire flies on ahead, her fellow comrades seem to be flying well behind as they avoid the wrath of their captain. Spitfire keeps her eyes straight as she thinks about her second in command, who she left behind.

"Spit?" Fleetfoot calls gently, speeding up so she's flying beside her best friend and captain.

"Hey, Fleet, just worried about Rainbow Dash," Spitfire frowns slightly.

Fleetfoot pauses midflight as she ponders on what Spitfire just said, before returning to her friend's side. "Why are you worried? I mean, I know she lost the race and all but she'll be back."

"Yeah but Fleet... Why did she lose the race? She was winning right up until the end." Spitfire continues to look out into the distance.

"Soarin' told us it was just because she was still a bit traumatised from the... Uh... Accident. Spit, don't worry about it, she'll be okay." Although Fleetfoot is trying to remain optimistic, she is also worried about Rainbow.

Both her and Soarin' were in a traumatic experience and although Soarin' seems to be doing okay, they all know they're struggling. It seems that Rainbow Dash, surprisingly, has had more trouble coping with it. It's not as if Rainbow is suddenly going to get better. What if her struggle doesn't improve by next year? What if she's still afraid? The littlest thing can remind her of the incident that happened at the cave.

"If she doesn't get better, Soar will probably want to stay with her," Spitfire sighs sadly. "It's not like I can stop him or anything, the bloke is free to do what he wants. But still, if he stays we'll lose two important parts of the team."

"We can't, like, forget about the deal we made and let Rainbow come back to the Academy... Can we?" Fleetfoot asks with trepidation, already aware of the answer.

Wave Chill, who has been silently listening in to the conversation, cautiously flies over to join the other two.

"Of course not, Fleet, you already know that it can't happen." Spitfire shakes her head and allows Wave Chill to join without any protest.

"Captain, we both know Soarin' well enough to know that even if Rainbow gets better he will want to stay with her until next year. I spoke to him after the race, he seemed pretty upset. He knows it's his duty to return to the HQ after his break but he doesn't want to leave Rainbow behind..." Wave Chill pauses for a moment. "We don't know how well he's really coping with this whole thing either, Spit, he could be struggling as much as Rainbow for all we know. He's always been good at hiding things even when we were kids."

Wave Chill looks away as he thinks about the last time Soarin' had gone through a traumatic experience. It had been when their father had passed away when Soarin' was sixteen and Wave Chill was thirteen.

Soarin' had been more attached to their father than Wave Chill had but when Soarin' was told the news of his father's passing he didn't react. He pretended he was okay, that nothing had happened but one day it all came flooding back to him and he snapped. He broke down into tears and let out everything he was holding back.

Their mother thought that now he had let go of all the bad feelings he'd be okay again but she was so, so wrong. Soarin' began to distance himself from everyone, everything. Wave Chill tried to help him, but he couldn't do anything. He should
have talked to him about it beforehand. He could have helped...

Misty's voice pulls Wave Chill out of his thoughts. "Rainbow wouldn't let him stay, no matter what, she's too proud to keep him there unless it's really important. Anyway, we can always let Soar go back to Ponyville on holidays or weekends if we
aren't busy and Rainbow can come visit us too."

Spitfire sighs and nods slightly. "Alright, I'm sure it'll all be okay. Let's just face the problems when they come guys, we're the Wonderbolts for Celestia's sake. We're always okay."

The team returns to flying silently, each of them trying to stop worrying about their friend and fellow comrade. Still, they can't help but worry, even just a little.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! (kinda just realised the title of this chapter sounds really posh...)
Hung-over, Angry Spitfire is best Spitfire!
Anyway, Sorry this took so long, had a writers block with Replacing Scootaloo so I had to abuse this fic for a while too!
I'm heading to Ireland on Tuesday (I think) so I don't know if this will have another update. Keep an eye out for the next chapter, I will post a blog letting you all know whats happening when I know more but I should be home around the 22nd of August!
Until next time!
Thank you for all your support, guys, you're brill! There's 85 likes on Trapped which is really an achievement for me, so thank you!
<3