• Published 13th May 2013
  • 5,515 Views, 353 Comments

Free to Fly - I am not a Dalek



Sequel to Trapped. Rainbow Dash and Soarin' are both out of the hospital, and have one month to spare before Soarin' returns to the Wonderbolts HQ.

  • ...
5
 353
 5,515

A Spell of Hope

Chapter 9- A Spell of Hope

After about an hour of struggling to push the screams right into the back of my mind, Soarin' suggests we go see Twilight, in hope of finding a cure or a spell to help me. Reluctantly, I accept and allow him to drag me to the library with hardly any fuss. However, I remember that the other Wonderbolts are supposed to come around to my house tonight, so I hope that they haven't left the library already.

Soarin' opens the door silently and glances around before spotting his fellow teammates. He nods towards them and walks over to Twilight to explain the whole situation to her. I sit down where he left me and wait patiently as I try to keep a clear head, I don't want the screams to start haunting me again, especially not here.

Spitfire sees me sitting alone, so she decides to sit beside me for a chat. "Hey, Rookie, I thought we were meeting you at your place?"

"We were, but Soar wanted to see Twilight first, once we're done you guys can come back with us if you want." I keep my eyes straight as I focus on the bookshelf across the room from us.

Spitfire nods, leaving us both sitting in silence until Soarin' returns with Twilight following close behind. I breathe in shakily, knowing that I'm going to be interrogated by the purple Unicorn. I'm not looking forward to this at all.

"Hey, Dashie. Twilight wants to talk to you," Soarin' smiles at me but it is evident that he's worried.
Sighing, I stand up walk over to Twilight with Soarin'. She smiles at me with her eyes full of concern, before leading me out into the kitchen so we're alone.

"Well, Dash, Soarin' told me your problem and there is a spell to help. However, you will have to get it done once a week for the next couple of months, and the screams will gradually begin to nullify. Are you alright with that?" Twilight asks.

I nod enthusiastically, I just want the screaming to go away because, well, I hate to say it but it's holding me back from my dreams. "When do we start?"

"Well, we can do the first lot right now, and you can come back this time next week for the second round? But, just to warn you, it will probably hurt... A lot." Twilight frowns and I just roll my eyes, does she honestly think I can't handle pain?

"I can handle it; can you just do it, please?" I say, completely confident, I'm not the slightest bit scared about the spell which is about to be cast upon me.

Soarin' stands nervously beside me as Twilight Sparkle's purple horn lights up with a violet aura. I watch as she walks forward and lightly presses her horn against my forehead, sending her magic through my skull. It is as if the magic is burning the screams away, because it feels like my brain is on fire. I squeeze my eyes shut and pretend that I cannot feel the searing pain which is tearing through my mind.

My legs shake slightly, as my whole body is now beginning to feel weak from the pain, but I somehow manage to stay
standing. Slowly, the screams begin to grow quieter and disappear before the burning morphs into a soothing warmth which caresses my mind as if it's apologising for the recent pain which it caused.

Twilight steps away and I slowly open my eyes before glancing around me. Both ponies are watching me in concern as I take a deep, shaky breath and force a smile upon my face.

"That didn't hurt at all!" I lie, trying to sound brave like my mum always told me to do.

Twilight frowns slightly as if she knows that I've lied, but she brushes the thought away. "Does it feel slightly better?"

I nod and grin. "Yup, right now they're just a quiet whisper but I'm sure they'll get louder again later, but hopefully not as loud as they used to be. Thank you, Twilight."

Soarin' is still sending me glances of concern as I say my goodbyes to Twilight and walk back into the main library. Spitfire smiles and waves a hoof at us both before trotting over to us.

"So, are we heading off now?" Spitfire inquires and I glance up at Soarin' who now looks completely lost.

"Yup, sure," I smile and turn to the light blue Wonderbolt. "I invited them to stay over tonight, so you got some extra time with them."

Soarin's face changes from one of confusion to one of joy within a nanosecond, which makes my heart melt instantly. I sometimes hate myself for how sappy I've become recently, but when I look at Soarin' I don't regret it whatsoever.

Smiling, I stretch out my wings with more effort than usual. It seems that the spell Twilight cast took more out of me than I first thought. Nonetheless, I put on my usual brave face and prepare myself for flight.

"Are you ready?" I ask the other Wonderbolts and when I receive enthusiastic nods in return, I shoot off into the sky.

We race towards my cloud home in silence, somehow, I've managed to get ahead of all of the Wonderbolts, and it seems as if they're struggling to keep up. Still, it's probably because it's late at night and we're all tired. My heart pounds in my chest as I feel the breeze in my mane without the fear of freezing up because of those dreaded screams that have been haunting me for the past few weeks.

I land on my porch and collapse on the soft cloud, panting heavily due to the workout I just endured. I'm followed close behind by Fleetfoot and Spitfire, who collapse beside me, equally as tired.

"Good race, Rookie." Spitfire breathes heavily and tries to gain her composure again.

I slowly sit up and stretch my wings out, suddenly feeling more relaxed after that race. Twilight's spell is actually working; maybe the terrors of the screams will be a mere fragment of my past. Of course, I'm still going to have to endure at least five more helpings of that spell to ensure that I will never be haunted by those screams again. Nonetheless, the feeling of being free again is exhilarating and makes me want to fly around in joy. I miss flying, I haven't been able to have a proper flight without freezing up and stopping dead in my tracks. Hopefully, I will now be able to get back on track and catch up for the few weeks of training that I've missed.

Once all of the Wonderbolts have arrived, I climb to my hooves and open my front door. I'm suddenly attacked by a flying tortoise, getting hit square in the jaw. I groan and catch Tank as he dizzily spins around from the impact he just gave me.

Soarin' blinks slightly. "He wasn't here before, was he?"

I laugh and shake my head. "No, Fluttershy must have just brought him back today; she knew I needed to recover. Still, I've missed you Tank." I lovingly pat his firm shell and rub my cheek against his.
Realising that I'm being watched by all of the Wonderbolts, I carefully place Tank down inside and walk over to the kitchen to
get some snacks.

"Make yourselves at home," I say to my guests as I turn around and find that they've already made my living room into their own bedroom.

Laughing softly, I place the snacks down and decide that we're celebrating so we might as well have some alcohol to go along with it all. We all sit together in my sitting room and laugh cheerfully as we spend the Wonderbolts last night in Ponyville together.

Author's Note:

Wow. I am so bad guys, I'm so sorry for the late update! I really need to get back to writing, I haven't really been good lately since I don't have many AMAZING idea's... hopefully I will get back on track soon!
Anyway, thank you all for your support! Look out for the next chapter which should be soon! Although, I need to update my other story first! Also, check out my side fic for this called "Don't let them see you cry." It's about Rainbow Dash and her mum :D
Until next time!
<3