• Published 11th May 2013
  • 3,264 Views, 169 Comments

Trixie's Class Of Theatrical Arts - Yukito



Trixie needs money, so she opens a summer course to teach ponies theatre.

  • ...
2
 169
 3,264

5 - Foaling Around

Sweetie Belle and Babs Seed were sitting together backstage, hiding together after sneaking away from Trixie whilst she was distracted with Scootaloo. The two were playing with their Game Colts together and speaking to each other in hushed voices.

“So how does this work again?” Babs asked Sweetie Belle with a confused look on her face.

“It’s simple,” Sweetie Belle replied. “I trade you my Kadabra, and you trade me your Haunter, and they’ll both evolve. Then, we trade them back.”

Babs nodded, but still looked unsure. “Why do we need to trade ‘em, though?”

Sweetie Belle shrugged, and then unplugged her link cable and blew into it, before plugging it back into the side of her Game Colt. “I don’t know, it’s just how they designed it.”

Babs tilted her head and groaned as she glared at her screen. “Is it really worth it though, with all these connection problems?”

Sweetie Belle nodded, also glaring at her own screen. “Yes! I need all the data, and Diamond Tiara’s the only other pony I know who plays! And she charges me for each trade we make…”

“You two!” The two fillies jumped as the curtain they were hiding behind was pulled away, revealing their teacher standing on the other side. “The Great and Powerful Trixie commands you to put down those games right now and get back to your assigned tasks!”

“But I don’t like singing in front of others!” Sweetie Belle whined, her ears drooping as she gave Trixie a sad look, eyes wide and tears starting to form.

“Nice try, but years of exposure has made Trixie immune to those ‘puppy dog eyes’ of yours!” Trixie used her magic to snatch the Game Colts from the two fillies.

“AH!” Sweetie Belle shouted as she jumped to her hooves. “At least let me save!”

“Don’t worry, Trixie will save for you.” Trixie used her magic to operate both devices simultaneously, saving both games at the same time. “Trixie will be confiscating these. You shall get them back at the end of the day. But be warned that repeat offences will have harsher punishments.”

“Miss Trixie,” Babs started, “Do I really have ta practice mah dancin’ out there, where everypony can see?”

Trixie groaned and brought a hoof to her face. “If you can’t perform in front of your friends, or whatever they are, then how can you perform before a whole crowd?”

“I guess, but-”

“Come on now, we’re wasting time like this!” Trixie shouted as she levitated the two fillies with her magic and carried them through the air and back towards the main hall. Upon her arrival, she noticed that somepony was missing. “Where is Scootaloo?”

“Hm? Oh, she said she had to step outside for a bit,” Alula said, before shifting her attention back to the comic that she was reading.

“Is that so?” Trixie placed the two fillies down and ordered them to get back to their assigned tasks. She then began walking towards the bar, stopping on the way to snatch the comic book from Alula’s hooves. “Confiscated. You shall have this back by the end of the day. Now get back to work reading over your lines!”

Alula moaned as she rose to her hooves. “I was only taking a break! Why can Silver Spoon do that and not me?”

“Alula!” Silver Spoon shouted in an angry tone, causing the filly to quickly place her hooves over her mouth as she realised her mistake.

Trixie turned to the grey filly, who seemed to be reading the reference book on working backstage that Trixie had given to her. Trixie lifted it up to find that there was a fashion magazine on the other side. Silver Spoon smiled sheepishly at Trixie, who simply responded by switched the magazine for the reference book. “Confiscated.”

Silver Spoon groaned as Trixie walked past her, stopping at the bar to place the confiscated items into the safe on the other side, locking it tight with both a key and a magical spell. “Now to find out what Scootaloo’s up to.”

Trixie made her way outside and looked around. It didn’t take her long to find the orange filly… speaking to a rainbow-maned mare sitting on a cloud floating above her. “So I get killed twice, but I also get to show everyone my awesome moves onstage!”

“Sounds good! Can’t wait to see how ya do!”

Trixie made her way over to the Pegasus duo, neither of which seeming to take notice of her approach until she cleared her throat. “Scootaloo, did the Great and Powerful Trixie not order you to either practice your ‘awesome moves’ inside, or to read over your lines?”

Scootaloo sighed and her face fell as Trixie stopped in front of her. “Sorry Rainbow Dash. I gotta go back in now…”

“Hey, no prob! You keep at it, squirt, and I’ll be sure to come and watch you!” Scootaloo walked past Trixie and made her way back towards the theatre house. Trixie, however, remained where she was, and glared up at the Pegasus mare above her. “Problem?”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie will thank you not to distract her students from their tasks. It is difficult enough to get them to behave as it is.”

Rainbow Dash laughed, much to the Unicorn’s annoyance. “Havin’ a bit of trouble, ‘Great and Powerful’ Trixie?”

Trixie harrumphed and flicked her mane. “Nothing that Trixie cannot handle. She shall have those foals in shape by the end of this week.”

“You sure about that?” Rainbow Dash asked as she jumped down from her cloud and landed before Trixie. “You know the ‘Cutie Mark Crusaders’, right?”

Trixie nodded. “Those three blank flanks who like to scream their collective name in unison?”

“Yeah, them,” Rainbow Dash confirmed. “Well, this just somethin’ I heard, can’t say if it’s true or not, but rumour has it that Pinkie Pie once sat for those three… and had a breakdown.”

Trixie scoffed. “Impossible. How can anypony, let alone three fillies, ever cause that one to have a breakdown?” Trixie studied Rainbow Dash’s face for a few seconds, and her face fell as she saw that the Pegasus was not making this up. “… W-What have I gotten myself into?”

“Too late to bow out now,” Rainbow Dash said as she wrapped a foreleg around Trixie’s neck. “But if you want my advice, I hear Fluttershy has those three wrapped around her hoof.”

Trixie shook her head. “No help. Trixie cannot afford it. Besides, it would make Trixie a laughing stock if it was revealed she could not handle seven little fillies.”

“Hmmm… Well then, how ‘bout you try offering a reward for good behaviour?” Trixie seemed to consider that for a moment. “Nothing big. Foals can be won over pretty easily. Just offer ‘em a trip to somewhere fun or somethin’.”

Trixie nodded. “That could actually work. Trixie will have to look into that later tonight. For now, though…” Trixie pulled herself away from Rainbow Dash and looked back at the theatre house. “… Trixie probably shouldn’t leave those kids unattended. Especially not with all those fireworks and knives and alcoholic drinks and-”

“Celestia forbid you ever have kids,” Rainbow Dash said in a joking tone, jumping back onto her cloud and grinning at the showmare below her, who did not look amused by her comment. “Well, good luck Drips!”

Trixie’s eyes followed Rainbow Dash’s cloud as it flew past her overhead. “Try not to hit any more trees, Rainbow Crash!” she shouted after the Pegasus, before making her way back over to the theatre house. She stopped as she heard voice around the corner, and recognised one of them. “Ugh. These fillies will be my death.”

Trixie walked around the corner to confront Apple Bloom and whoever she was talking to. She stopped when she saw that the other filly was Diamond Tiara, and out of curiosity stayed back to see what they were discussing.

“Okay, nopony can see us here. Now can you just please try ta cooperate?” Apple Bloom asked as she reached out a hoof.

“You washed it, right?” Diamond Tiara asked as she took a step back from the hoof.

“UGH! For the last time, YES! Now c’mon, or are ya gonna give yer Princess role ta somepony else!”

Diamond Tiara huffed and slowly lifted her hoof up. “F-Fine… I’ll concede to holding your hoof and dancing with you, but you have to agree that kissing is completely out of line!”

Apple Bloom, her face turning red, nodded as Diamond Tiara’s hoof touched hers. “Y-Yeah, we’ll talk ta Miss Trixie about that later. But fer now, could y’all…”

“… What?”

“… Y’know…” Apple Bloom mumbled something that neither Trixie or Diamond Tiara could hear.

“Louder! I can’t hear you!”

“… T-Teach me how ta dance?” Diamond Tiara broke out into laughter almost immediately, causing Apple Bloom’s face to turn an even brighter shade of red. “S-Stop that! Ah’m bein’ serious!”

“Hmmm… Well well, this is an interesting predicament. Tell me, blank flank: what is in it for me if I take my precious time to teach you how to dance?”

Apple Bloom sighed and rolled her eyes. “Ah get it. Ah’ll do yer homework fer the first week of the new school year.”

“First three weeks,” Diamond Tiara corrected, which Apple Bloom reluctantly accepted. “Very well then. But we’ll need to find somewhere else to practice. I don’t want anypony seeing me dancing with the likes of you.”

“Fer once, we agree on somethin’. Don’ worry, ah know the perfect spot.”

Trixie grinned as she watched the two making plans to practice outside of her class. ‘It seems that there is still hope yet. I’d better not throw in the towel, either. Still, it’s funny that they’re going on about not being seen together… when they’ll have to be seen onstage, anyway.

Although she laughed at it inside her mind, Trixie had to admit that it felt nostalgic seeing her students like that. It reminded her of her youth, when she would be absolutely adamant of practising in isolation, and only ever being seen during a performance. Now-a-days, she didn’t get why she felt like that. Maybe it was just a foalhood thing, she thought.

Taking a breath, Trixie prepared herself to confront the two fillies. Even though they were actually doing work, she couldn’t leave them outside unattended. She rounded the corner and approached them as if she had heard nothing. “You two! There you are!” The two fillies jumped at the sound of her voice and quickly turned to face her. “What are you both doing out here?”

“N-Nothin’!” Apple Bloom shouted. “Right, Diamond Tiara?”

“T-That’s right!” Diamond Tiara said, nodding her head.

“Well then, how about instead of ‘nothing’, you can inside and do the ‘something’ that Trixie assigned you to do?”

The two fillies nodded their heads quickly, and followed after Trixie as she turned to lead them inside. ‘Well, the day is almost over anyway. These two seem to be taking this seriously… Now if only I could find some incentive for the other foals.