• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 17,589 Views, 134 Comments

Circus Days - The Dragon Warlock



After befriending a group of circus performers, Spike decides to join them.

  • ...
13
 134
 17,589

Just Another Boring Day

It was another beautiful summer morning in the town of Ponyville. Princess Celestia's sun was illuminating the town, brightening the streets and buildings. The town's citizens started to wake up, and shops were preparing and opening for the day ahead. It was still early morning, so there were very few ponies up and about. However, for one purple baby dragon in the Ponyville Library, his day was already in full swing.

Spike was up and looking at the mess that was on the library floor. It was covered with open books, some upside down, and a tower of books that was as tall as the bookshelves themselves. He went around picking up the library books from another one of Twilight's late night study sessions. Spike was used to this, but he always was annoyed as to why Twilight couldn't clean up after herself. It wasn't the first time he had to clean up her mess and it certainly wouldn't be his last. He was still picking up books when he heard the familiar sound of hooves come down the steps. The baby dragon looked to see a lilac unicorn with a purple mane and tail with a pink streak going through it giving a small smile at him.

"Good morning Spike." Said a groggy Twilight Sparkle.

"Oh, good morning Twilight." Said Spike. "How did your studying go last night?"

"Oh it was great Spike." The unicorn responded joyfully. "All that studying of spells and theories certainly makes time fly."

"That's great Twilight. So...what are we doing today? Taking on magical creatures? Practicing spells? What?" Spike asked with anticipation in his voice.

Twilight looked around the library floor and said, "Well, first of all, I need you to finish cleaning up all these books. You know we can't just leave them like this."

Spike looked at the books and remembered he needed to put them away. "Well why can't you pick them up?" He blurted out without thinking.

Twilight stared at him for a moment before asking, "What do you mean Spike?"

Spike cursed himself for asking that question and did his best to answer Twilight's question. "Well Twilight, it's just that you are always staying up late and using books the most. Why can't you use your magic to put the books back?"

Twilight sighed and looked at her number one assistant. "Spike, I don't mean to do that to you. I'm usually very tired after studying for so long, and I barely have any energy left. I usually don't have time as well since I have to meet up with the girls."

Spike wanted to find another way to argue, but just gave up. Arguing with Twilight was useless and she was stubborn in being right at everything; sometimes as stubborn as Applejack.

"I have an idea though." Twilight suddenly said.

Spike broke out of his thoughts and asked, "What is it Twilight?"

"Well how about I make it up to you one day, and I give you a day off?"

Spike smiled a little at this. "Alright, it’s a deal."

The lilac unicorn smiled at her assistant and said, "Thanks Spike, now I have to go meet Applejack. I promised I'd help her with some applebucking."

Spike gave a small wave and as soon as Twilight was gone he let out a big sigh. It was like this everyday and he was getting sick of it. Twilight was always hanging out with her friends, and having fun. Meanwhile, Spike was left behind to do the work and chores. He missed the flying competition in Cloudsdale, Gummy's party, and many other fun things Twilight and her friends did. All Spike did was work all day cleaning up the library, or help Twilight with her magic spells. He knew he would be like a sore hoof sticking out in Ponyville since he was the only dragon, but he was getting sick of being left out of everything. It left the baby dragon not only sad, but angry as well. He often wondered why he was still in this town since many of the ponies in this town were nervous around him.


Spike spent the rest of the morning putting all the books in their proper places and dusted the entire place. By the time he was finished, the clock in the lobby chimed indicating it was twelve. Spike's stomach groaned, decided to have some of Sweet Apple Acres' finest apple slices and a glass of water. The young dragon then thought that since he was done with cleaning up, he could meet up with Twilight and the others and hang out with them. He quickly finished his lunch, cleaned up the mess, and left with a grin on his face to Sugarcube Corner. He figured that's where Twilight was since she and the others usually met up there to have lunch. The baby dragon reached the cake shaped bakery and entered through the door. He looked around to see Twilight and her friends talking and laughing with each other at a large red table.

Spike walked over to the table, feeling a little nervous. "Um, Twilight?"

Twilight and the others turned towards the baby dragon. "Oh, Spike I am so glad you're here." The lilac unicorn said with a cheerful expression on her face.

"Really!? You need me!?" The baby dragon asked with excitement in his voice and a smile grew on his face.

Twilight nodded, used her magic to levitate a large red book, and gave it to Spike. "I need you to take this book back to the library now. It's the new edition of Advanced Magic for Talented Unicorns. I found it for a great deal at the bookstore, and I was going to go back to the library to drop it off. Now that you're here would you please take care of it?"

Spike felt his heart sink and his smile faltered. "Okay Twilight." He said with a tinge sadness in his voice as he took the book.

Twilight beamed. "Thank you Spike! What would I do without you?"

"Hey! Who wants to see my new trick?" Rainbow Dash asked. "It's going to blow your mind!"

Twilight turned back and agreed with every other pony to see her trick. They all left in a hurry to see the sky blue pegasus' new trick without saying goodbye to Spike or anything. The baby dragon was left alone with the book, and with a broken spirit.

Spike dragged himself toward the library, while looking around to see other ponies chatting with one another. He saw the spa twins, Aloe and Lotus, drinking apple juice and laughing. Them, he saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders whizzing past him on Scootaloo's scooter and a red wagon with them shouting something about cutie marks. He even saw Snips and Snails talking with Twist as the three ate lunch together. Spike sighed as he entered the library. He walked up into the bedroom, placed the book on Twilight's bed, and flopped into his basket, staring at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity. Spike could distinctly hear the sounds of ponies playing and tried to block the sounds out by covering his ears. He had never felt so alone in his life.

'Is this all I am to Twilight? Am I just here to do work and nothing more?' Spike thought to himself.

Spike drifted off to his own thoughts about what he was to Twilight and the others. The library door opened and Spike snapped out of his thoughts. He saw the sky was orange, and Luna's moon was rising, bringing in nighttime. He got up, went out into the lobby, and saw Twilight standing at the bedroom door with a pleasing smile on her face.

She saw Spike standing by the door. "Hey Spike." Twilight said. "Thanks again for taking the book home. Now then where did you put it?"

Spike just gave a lazy pointing to her bed. Twilight used her magic to levitate the book, and took her with it. She turned around and said, "Good night Spike. I hope you get plenty of rest, tomorrow is going to be another great day."

She left, and Spike just collapsed onto his bed, to stare at the ceiling once more. 'Another great day of what? Cleaning up and being left behind again?' The baby dragon asked himself.

Spike wanted to be friends with the other ponies, but nopony seemed to notice him at all. He laid in his bed, feeling depressed and lonely. Spike turned to face Luna's moon which was illuminating the room and saw a bright dot near it. He looked to see that it was the first of Luna's stars. He recalled tales of wishing on the first star would make your dreams come true. He never believed them though; they were old mare tales after all. He was desperate for anything to help him though, and closed his eyes.

"I wish I had some friends." Spike wished. He turned around and fell into an uneasy sleep.

Unknown to Spike, outside the library window was a shadowy figure, hearing what Spike said. The figure took off into a nearby alley before being seen and disappeared into the night.