• Published 10th May 2013
  • 591 Views, 17 Comments

The Chosen Undead - Demonfire463



A thief learns that he is the chosen one, and feels he can overcome any obstacle in his path and complete his journey alone. But when six girls show up in Lordran, he has a choice: to take them with him on his journey or let then die.

  • ...
2
 17
 591

Prologue

Prologue

With a leather pouch of coins jingling on each of our belts, we dash down the alleyway with great speed. Well, two of us do anyway, Gorn is very slow. He is wearing steel plate armor, like the Knights of Berenike. He is very weighed down. My other companion is wearing green cotton clothes with some brown leather as protection. His name is Feighran. I wear a hood with a mask that goes from my neck to just above my nose. My black clothes are mostly concealed underneath leather armor, which is even darker. We run around a corner as we bolt for our hideout, arrows whizzing past our heads with great speed.
"Hurry up Gorn!" I yell. "We need to make it back!"
"He always makes it back Zander. His armor may be heavy, but at least it actually protects him." Feighran says. We both look back to see arrows being deflected by his heavy plates of steel.
"There is truth in that I suppose." I say. Gorn smashes some of the town guards with his steel mallet. The guards in Carim aren't very well armed. Their chainmail armor, wooden bucklers, and flimsy iron rapiers are easy to get past for a group of advanced thieves. I throw a dagger back at one of the guards. The knife sails through the air like an arrow. The blade lands firmly in a guard's neck and blood pours out onto the cobblestone path. Feighran pulls an arrow from the leather quiver on his back.
"Nice shot." He says.
"Thanks."
"Bet I can do better."
"Is that a challenge?"
"It is indeed." He notches the arrow while still running. He turns and leaps as he pulls the bowstring back to his cheek. His finger releases the flax string and the arrow flies through the air. The arrow connects with a guard's head and hits him directly between the eyes, killing him instantly.
"Alright. I'll admit, that was quite a shot." We dart behind another corner and Gorn catches up. "But you have a bow, I'm sure if you threw a knife as I had done it wouldn't have been as accurate." We catch our breath.
"Thieves! Come quietly and we will not kill you immediately! This is your final warning!" That must have been the captain of the guard shouting at us. Gorn peeks his head around the corner and an arrow bounces off his helmet. His head quickly comes back around.
"I don't think they really feel like talking right now."
"Oh you think so Gorn? Of course they don't you thick fool." Feighran says harshly.
"Calm down Feighran, we can get out of this."
"How?" I look around above us.
"There!" I point to a rope ladder hanging from a roof. It looks a but weathered, but it's our only chance.
"Gorn, you either leave your armor behind, or you make a run for it. I'm sorry friend." Feighran says.
"I understand. If I don't make it back, it's been an honor. I'll run for it."
"Good luck Gorn." I say. I leap fo the ladder. The fibers of the old rope dig into my leather gloves. The ladder sways back and forth under my weight, which honestly isn't that much. I look down behind me. Feighran is motioning me forward with his hand. Nearby, chain armor clinks together with men's movements. The guards are nearing our position, not good. I pull myself over the small, broken battlements on the roof. I turn and look down the ladder. Feighran is beginning to make his way up. I hear the ropes straining under his weight. Crack! One side snaps. I dive for the rope.
"Gah!" I cry out in pain as my ribs hit the stone. I barely snatch the rope in time.
"Zander! Leave me behind!" He tosses his coin pouch up. "I'll try to follow Gorn! Met me back at the hideout!" He hollers. "I'll try to hold them off!"
"Alright!" I pull out my Bandit's Knife. The rusty blade may be able to cut the other rope, I really should take better care of my weapons. I take my small shield off my back and put the knife to the rope. After a while, the rusted blade slices through the rope. I strap Feighran's coins to my belt and run along the roof, above him. At the end of the alleyway is a dead end. Gorn's body lays motionless, a large spear stabbed through his chest and out his back. He's sitting in a puddle of blood, most likely dead. Feighran runs in the alley and turns to the dead end where Gorn's body is. The guards catch up with him.
"Feighran!" I scream. "Feighran! Run!" He looks at me and shakes his head in hopelessness. He notches an arrow to his bow. A guard runs for him, I throw a dagger at his back. It lands in his shoulder. He and a few others turn towards me. I prepare another dagger, but a crossbow bolt hits me before I can throw it. Pain shoots through my right arm as the bolt connects with a vein on the inside of my bicep. Blood seeps through my cotton shirt and stains the black cloth. A second bolt is fired at me, hitting my right thigh just left of the center.
"Gaaahhh!" I cry in pain again. I fall to my left knee and look at Feighran. He shoots the guards with his bow, cornered like a rat in a trap. The few guards climb over the small pile of corpses are shot in the heart or head. I stand and limp over to the edge of the roof with my small shield raised in defense. I kneel again. He reaches to his quiver, a look of terror breaches his face as his hand feels nothing. He drops his bow and runs at the guards with his dagger. A myriad of arrows pelts against my round shield. Feighran leaps into the air with his dagger ready to stab. A guard catches him on his speartip. I see the weapon come out his back. "No! Feighran!!!" I shout. I stand and lower my shield to throw a knife at the guard that killed him. An arrow connects with my jugular vein and I fall down. I bleed and hit the ground. A white light engulfs all of my vision when I make contact with the cobblestone road. I die.

Author's Note:

Got this idea while writing Hollow, this is the prologue of the story. Just a little background on the main character