• Published 12th May 2013
  • 10,983 Views, 395 Comments

Idle Curiosity - AwkwardTaco



In the year 2205, Man has brushed his fingertips across countless star systems. Some planets in these systems bear life, others do not. Never, though, have we encountered another sapient race other than our own. And now? We're determined to lear

  • ...
46
 395
 10,983

Chapter Two

The hull temperature of Transport Seven was increasing rapidly, the fires slightly lighting up the night sky. On the inside of the cargo bay, insulating materials and heavy-grade cooling systems struggled to keep the atmosphere inside from rising too much as to cause failures in the delicate electronics and other mechanisms that the shuttle would desperately need if it were ever to fly again. Considering that the amount of metal between the humans and the flames outside was a mere three centimeters in length, this was somewhat more important than what one would imagine.

"Exiting dead-fall in five seconds," Richardson heard the pilot say from within the cockpit. "Fire up the engines again on my mark, Ed."

Though a very basic way of transportation to a planet, falling like a brick didn't require very much energy besides gravity. The shuttle had been speedily falling through the sky without engines for a good thirty seconds so that fuel could be conserved and so that engine temperatures didn't rise to critical levels.

"...two, one, mark." The pilot said, prompting the entire ship's velocity to shift from downwards to sideways. The change in motion jerked the marines and scientists to the side and into the support bars that rested across their chests. Nguyen had been jerked so hard that he began coughing in response to the pain in his chest.

"Engines are back online and we're descending towards the landing zone. We'll be landing one minute, so get your suitcases ready," the pilot came onto the ship's intercom. "Welcome to the ass-end of the galaxy, marines."

Just as they were ordered to, the marines pushed the support bars off of themselves and began gathering their equipment. Emergency MREs, rucksacks, weapons, and ammunition. Richardson brought his things off from the rack over his seat and slung his pack over his soldiers. He retrieved his FAR-11 assault rifle and checked to make sure the magazine was still in place and that none of the parts were broken.

Though meant for simple border control with the local wildlife, the marines had enough arms and ammo to be mistaken for an invasion force. Nguyen and Private Hendricks grabbed the two portable automatic turrets from the rack, the large square machines taking the places of their rucksacks. The sound of rounds cycling in their weapons filled the air like a chorus.

"Peterson, you're taking point," Nelson patted the shoulder of the marine. "Alright, form up on me, people. Standard exit procedure."

"Where do you want us to be, Specialist?" Inquired one of the scientists, the other two placing crates of tech onto trollies.

"Wait for us to clear out and start unloading your stuff," Nelson answered. "We'll need to make an analysis of the air for pathogens before you get out."

"Understandable," the scientist noted as he pulled out his personal datapad and walked back over to his colleagues. Nelson, in turn, returned to his squad and took his place right after Hendricks.

"I always hate explaining everything to first-timers," Nelson muttered over the squad's communication channel. Grunts of agreement came from the rest of the unit. The shaking of the transport became less noticeable as it began to decelerate. Hendricks raised his rifle in anticipation of any hostile animals that could exist beyond the transport ramp. The floor of the ship shook once more and the ramp door emitted a pop-hiss as the air within the cabin escaped to the outside.

"Moving out!" Peterson announced as he walked down the ramp, the rest of the men following suit. The night sky was slightly illuminated by the planet's full moon. Even so, it was still dark enough for critters to be lurking. Hendricks pressed a button on the side of his helmet. "Switching to night vision."

Peterson finally stepped off the ramp and onto the hard dirt, large untamed grasses collapsing under his weighted boot. A full look around revealed nothing but the wavering branches of large deciduous trees. Hendricks signed an all-clear hand signal and motioned the rest of the squad to move forward.

"Air readings?" Nelson inquired from Private Friedman, his rifle scanning the heavily forested area where they landed. The squad began dispersing to cover the edges of the clearing.

"No pathogens detected on the initial scan," Friedman answered while staring down at his portable biomonitor. "Give the pad a second to- never mind. Scan shows nothing is harmful in the air."

"Good," Nelson waved over to the transport and turned his communication channel with the scientists on. "You're clear to exit the ship, doctor."

"About time," Came the gruff reply of a scientist Nelson didn't have the pleasure of meeting on the flight down. "The sooner we get the lab station running, the sooner we can get to work."

Nelson sighed as he turned the channel off. Few scientists held a sense of superiority over the military, but it was easy to tell that this particular man wasn't planning on waiting for standard procedure. Trollies of boxes and other sorts of containers were pushed onto the earth and had begun being unpacked.

On the marines' side of progress, a defensive perimeter was created by the two portable turrets on opposite sides of the landing area. Huxley and Peterson had already begun placing barricades between the gaps, making a wall of sorts around the compound.

As per the Captain's orders, Richardson had already gone off to dig the latrines further into the forest. Nelson smirked as he heard Richardson muttering curses and whatnot over his still open communication channel. Hopefully he would learn to be more subtle in the future.

Nelson slung his rifle over his shoulder and walked over to Nguyen and Hendricks to help set up the tents.


Latrine duty. Great, Richardson thought as he pushed his spade into the cold, firm dirt. Nothing like taking a stroll through a dank forest.

Richardson had to admit that this forest was remarkably similar to one on Earth. Most large expanses of vegetation he had seen on New Macedonia had been nothing but enormous ferns and moss-like grass. He was tempted to take his helmet off and breathe the night air, but regulations required him to keep his helmet on at all times in case of an emergency broadcast or something abruptly hitting his head.

His train of thought came to a crashing halt as he heard a large amount of rustling of tree branches and thuds of what could interpreted as footsteps. He tossed his spade into his hole and readied his rifle. His night vision wasn't reveling anything, but the noises were getting much louder and in constantly changing directions. He decided to fire a few warning shots into brush in order to scare off the possible predator.

Three round left his rifle and a monstrous roar came from the direction where he had fired. Yep, I hit you, Richardson thought with a smirk. Now just walk away and-

Bursting through the foliage was a creature Richardson had never even imagined would exist. A head and body similar to that of a lion or some other feline, a tail of a scorpion, and demonic wings were somehow combined into a very pissed off organism.

"Fuck!" Richardson said as he dived to the side to escape the creature's charge. The beast overshot its target, and Richardson was able to get a clear shot. He switched his rifle to full automatic and let loose on his target without a second thought. Bullets impacted on all parts of the beast, quickly overpowering it. Brass casings littered the floor as Richardson finally went through his sixty-round magazine.

The strange organism let out a final roar, its tone much softer and less aggressive than the first. It slumped to the ground with a large thud, its wings and tail losing their muscle tension and drooping. Richardson waited a few seconds to make sure the creature wasn't getting up.

"What the hell are you doing out there?!" Nelson yelled over the comm channel.

"I just got attacked by a fucking beast, what're you doing?" Richardson shot back, reloading his FAR.

"What'd it look like?" Nleson inquired.

"It's kind of like... a lion thing. Wings and a scorpion tail. It's weird shit." Richardson responded. Nelson didn't say anything for a minute, but he could hear the scientists yelling in the background.

"We're sending Doctor Carsiri to you," Nelson sighed out of exasperation. "He's the xenobiologist of the group and wants to examine whatever you just killed."

"There might be more of them out here, Nelson. Not that I have a problem with a Lab Boy becoming lunch meat, but still," Richardson said.

"Just shut up and transmit your coordinates." Nelson said before turning off the channel.


Doctor Ronald Carsiri, unlike his "esteemed" colleagues back at the camp, didn't relish the fact that he was on a planet far enough away from the core colonies that it had been dubbed Unknown Space. The fact that the journey between Aegis, the most distant colony from the core, and B4-D4 had taken a standard week had not lightened his spirits.

He would have preferred New Macedonia even in light that its atmosphere was almost entirely hydrogen and a protective environment suit was needed at all times. At least there he could go back onto a ship and take a hot shower whenever he pleased.

He pushed his bitter thoughts aside for a moment to make sure he was heading in the right direction to the marine Corporal Nelson had directed him to find. Carsiri wanted to make sure he was able to examine the corpse before it began decomposing.

Unless, of course, the animal had been mutilated beyond observation by the inane amount of bullets the marine had seen fit to kill it with.

"Doctor? Over here," came the voice of the soldier Carsiri was looking for. Carsiri navigated the shrubs and other vegetation that separated him from his specimen. He finally found the marine sitting next to a gargantuan mammal. It was difficult to see the soldier with his dark armor in the night. "I'll leave you to poke around the remains. Mind the blood."

That, actually was Carsiri's first reaction. The blood on the ground was red, signifying that this beast had a similar oxygen-carrying protein to hemoglobin. He pulled out a small plastic slip and retrieved some fresh blood from the animal's rancid smelling corpse. Once the slip had been thoroughly covered, he slid it into his bioanalysis pad.

Interesting, Carsiri pondered as he viewed the results. This animal actually uses hemoglobin like Earth mammals! He ran his hand through his balding blonde hair as he tried to make sense of the analysis. All vertebrae fauna that research teams had found on other planets had used a different compound than hemoglobin such as coboglobin. This would suggest that a similar evolutionary path had been taken between Earth and B4-D4 mammals.

Another odd note was that this feline-like animal had an arthropod appendage, the tail. He took a sample from the base of the stinger and packed it away for future study.

"So what the hell are you going to call this thing?" Richardson asked from behind. "Lionus Deathicus?"

"I would actually go as far as to call it... a manticore, Corporal." Carsiri responded as he took a step back from the animal. "Part lion, dragon, and scorpion. This organism completely resembles the description of the mythical creature. That's uncanny."

"Whatever you say, Doc." Richardson said, looking over his soldier to view the trees behind him. "Can we hurry this along? There's probably more things like this out there."

Carsiri chuckled as he knelt down beside the manticore. "The man in the metal suit is afraid of a few animals. Where is this fearless soldier I was told would be protecting me on this expedition, hmm?"

"Watch it, egghead," Richardson threatened. "I could always say you fell off a cliff."

"Because that is obviously believable," Carsiri said sarcastically as he took another sample of the creature. He lifted himself from the ground and smiled at Richardson. "I am done here. You may escort me back, fearless soldier."

Carsiri couldn't determine if the marine was frustrated behind the face-encompassing helmet he wore, but he was pretty sure he had struck a nerve. Carsiri followed the Corporal through the forest back to the camp, taking notes on his personal journal.

"There's a lot of plants here, wouldn't you say?" Richardson said, trying to make small talk.

"Forests are known to contain a lot of vegetation, yes." Carsiri answered.

"I meant that there are a lot of strange plants here. For instance, I walked through a load of blue flowers on the way here. I think I saw a rainbow-colored plant too." Richardson continued.

"There are plenty of blue flowers on Earth," Carsiri replied. "It's plausible that rainbow flowers are just as common here."

"I'm just saying that these plants are really weird compared to-" Richardson spoke before a rustle in the brush captured his attention. Carsiri heard the noise as well but continued to move.

"Not all of the fauna can be predators, Corporal. Relax," he said as he walked nearer to the landing zone.

A sudden shadow in the moonlight streaked across Carsiri's peripheral vision. Quickly turning to see what the mysterious figure was, he didn't notice that there was more than one of the phantoms behind him. Pouncing onto his unprotected back was a wolf-like animal, two more of them waiting as the leader took down the scientist. Struggling to get away, Carsiri flipped himself onto his back and tried to move away.

The wolf began clawing and biting at his face with unrelenting speed. Carsiri could barely summon his hands to try and prevent the creature from achieving its kill. The texture Carsiri felt was not fur at all, but coarse, solid material. Almost like wood.

Just as Carsiri had begun to prepare himself for his near demise, a loud bang resounded through the woods from Richardson's pistol. Splinters rained onto Carsiri's face, the paws of the attacking entity suddenly becoming limp. Frenzied yelps from the other wolves became softer and softer as they rushed back into the depths of the forest.

Richardson removed the wooden wolf's body from Doctor Carsiri, offering a hand to the dazed intellectual.

"I can honestly agree with you now, Corporal," Carsiri muttered as he accepted the hand. "There are some very weird plants here."

Author's Note:

Thank you everyone for making this story so popular. I know it isn't the best, but it makes me happy to see that so many of you are reading this and liking it!

The next chapter will more than likely be delayed as I have other matters in my life to attend to. I promise to get right back at it, though!


Stay classy, FimFiction! Please donate likes! I have an addiction!