• Published 13th Jun 2013
  • 2,935 Views, 118 Comments

Alternate Geoverse #6: A Season Of Terror - GeodesicDragon



Ace has snapped, and now Doctor Robo terrorises Equestria in his bid to reform the world in his own image. Will his friends be able to stop him? Part Seven of the Geoverse.

  • ...
21
 118
 2,935

Shadowy Steps

CHAPTER FIVE

Shadowy Steps

Version 1.2

The bot regarded us all for a moment, cocking its head slightly at the sight of us all huddled together out of fear of what might happen. And then, to our surprise, it spoke in a metallic voice that was a near-perfect copy of Dash’s.

"Hi," she said cheerfully. "I’m Rain-bot Dash, and I gotta say that it’s nice to finally see some new faces. The only one I’ve had to look at lately is my dad’s."

"Dad?" Pinkie asked, finding her voice amidst the tension. This bot seemed friendly enough, even if Ace had built it.

We watched the robot rub the back of her head with a mechanical hoof. "You know him as Dr. Sorou, if my memory banks are accurate," Rain-bot told us. "Gosh, unless my internal clock’s off, he hasn’t worked on me in nine months."

"That was about the time Discord was reformed," noted Fluttershy, while a pang of guilt seemingly found its way onto Pinkie’s face.

"Where is he, anyway?" she asked as she looked around the room, taking in the sight of the many piles of rubble. "Wait…" Rain-bot glanced around, the lights of her eyes forming a concerned expression. "What the heck happened in here?!"

"It… it’s complicated," I mumbled, clearing my throat. "Tell me something, Rain-bot, do you know where you are? And why you were created?"

"Well, yeah," Rain-bot replied, taking a seat. The peaceful mannerisms of Rain-bot put us at ease, but we all remained on guard. "I’m in dad’s laboratory, and I was created to be a gift for Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow looked visibly surprised. "A gift? For me?"

Rain-bot nodded. "Yeah. I’m supposed to be, like, a personal trainer," she informed us, looking at Rainbow. "I can do everything you can do, except better. I have more speed, more stamina, more maneuverability, and I even have a function that allows me to scan and copy abilities and powers to use to help train you." What equated to a competitive expression crossed Rain-bot’s face, as she got to her hooves and playfully took a step forward. "My entire purpose is to mould you into the greatest Wonderbolt who ever lived. And once you’re the best, I’ll make sure you have the ability to remain the best!"

We all looked bewildered by this. Twilight stepped forward, looking at the bot curiously. "That explains the rest of Discord’s riddle," she mused aloud. "‘Look inside, there’s a gift for you.’ — Discord was talking about a literal gift for Rainbow Dash."

"Wait a second…" Rain-bot looked over at us, as if trying to process something. "When was Discord reformed? Last time I checked, he was an irredeemable villain — according to the server’s memory banks." She looked up, her eyes flashing as if she was transmitting. "... which are now offline. What the hay?" A panicked expression overtook Rain-bot. "What’s going on? I’m activated eight months past my release date, dad’s nowhere to be seen, and the data servers are offline! Did… did something happen to my dad?"

Though she was a machine, we all heard the worry in her voice. Like she was genuinely concerned for the safety of Ace. I don’t think any of us thought that her emotions were anything but genuine, once we saw the look in her eyes. In a different situation, I might’ve congratulated Ace for making such a life-like bot. But instead, I sighed. "Rain-bot…" I began. "Take a seat. I need to explain something to you…"

I told Rain-bot about the events leading up to Ace’s fall to madness. About him and Pinkie splitting up, about how he locked himself away for nine months, and when we finally saw him again, he was a megalomaniac who burned down half of Ponyville. Now we didn’t know where he was, and we came back here to look for clues. The entire time, we monitored Rain-bot’s expression, and watched as it turned from worry to utter disbelief. Before I’d finished she stood up, shaking her head. "N-no!" she shouted. "Y-you’re lying! Dad would never do something like that!" She said, denying my assertions.

"Rain-bot, I know this must be hard for you…" I tried to explain.

"Sh-shut up!" she shouted at me. "You’re just playing a cruel prank! Dad’s a defender of Ponyville, and all its inhabitants! He saved half the ponies out there from slavery in the Diamond Dog mines!"

"Rain-bot, we’re really sorry…" Rainbow spoke. "But we can’t deny what’s already happened. The ponies out there are homeless and injured because of what Ace did before he left. And as much as we don’t want to believe it ourselves, the fact is that Ace is putting all of Equestria in danger - even as we speak - and we need to stop him."

Two shutters slid shut over Rain-bot’s eyes, and we heard fans and turbines inside her starting to spin more rapidly. The sound coming from her speaker sounded a lot like erratic breathing, as she tried to come to terms with the new information. But suddenly, she shot up in the air, causing us to get back on guard. "NO!" she cried, her eyes shooting open. "This is all some cruel joke, and I’m gonna prove it!" Before any of us could do anything, she took off, down the hall, and out the lab.

***

Rain-bot flew to Ponyville, intent on clearing things up. She didn’t believe a word that was said about her father. It couldn’t be true, none of it. But when she saw the destroyed homes, doubt and disbelief took the forefront of her processes. She landed, just outside of town, and began slowly trotting forward, taking in the wreckage of what were once homes and buildings.

Ponies were going about their daily lives, attempting to reestablish some sense of normalcy. There were markets and stands set up, and ponies were going about their daily business, but there was a solemn air about the town. Everyone was sad, confused, and some were even angry. No one paid attention to Rain-bot at a distance, but as she drew closer, a pegasus looked over at her. The look of horror on Raindrops’ face when she saw Rain-bot would be one that the poor artificial mare would never forget.

Raindrops shot up in the air, and pointed a hoof at Rain-bot. "Everypony run! It’s one of Sorou’s machines!" The panicked uproar was immediate, as ponies bolted for their homes and hid.

"Wait!" Rain-bot cried, but it was too late — the streets were empty. Rain-bot attempted to process what was going on, but she soon realised that the only explanation as to the behavior of the ponies was the one she wished weren’t true. "Why…" she muttered to herself, looking at the burned shells of a group of buildings. "Why would dad do something like this?"

Hearing a whistle from further in Ponyville, Rain-bot looked over to see a group of guardsponies charging towards her with their weapons drawn. Rain-bot didn’t want to hurt them, as she knew that they were only defending themselves — at least she could thank her dad for giving her that kind of judgement. And so, with a flash, she was up in the air and heading away from Ponyville.

***

"We’ve got to go after her!" Rainbow Dash said, looking over at the rest of us.

We all nodded in agreement. "Rain-bot can be exactly what we need to catch Ace and help him regain his senses, so let’s go and find her," Twilight said, turning to face John and I. "In the meantime, you two stay here and look around. Who knows what else there might be remaining here?" We both nodded, giving our respective wives a quick hug and a kiss before they and the rest of the group ran off.

I turned to John. "Let’s take a look around," I said. "There’s got to be something here that we can use, and we can also wait to see if Rain-bot comes back before the others find her."

John nodded. "All right," he replied. "I’ll take a look around the laboratory and you take a look around in here."

He headed off, gingerly stepping over pieces of rubble and broken glass, and entered the remains of the laboratory. I heard him cursing and let out a chuckle — he had clearly forgotten just what Ace was like when it came to cleanliness, and his old lab back on Earth would testify to that.

I looked around the room. This place seemed to be made specifically to build and program Rain-bot Dash. Going up to a computer, I pressed a few buttons. A cracked screen glowed to life, but all that I could see was a blue background, probably because the screen was too damaged to display anything. As I contemplated pressing Control-Alt-Delete, I suddenly heard John’s voice from the other room. "Oi, Geo!" He called. "I think I’ve got something!"

I tore myself away from the computer and rushed through to the laboratory, scrambling over the same pieces of wreckage and broken glass he’d been avoiding. I could hear the urgency in John’s voice, and I could tell that he had found something important. I ran up beside him and dusted myself off, clearing my throat and trying to ignore the fact I was sweating slightly. "What’s up, mate?" I asked nonchalantly. "Did you find something?"

John was looking at a computer screen showing a map of the Everfree forest. "Take a look at this," he said, pointing at the screen. "What do you see?"

I shrugged. "I can see the Everfree Forest," I replied. "Why, what can you see?"

John pointed emphatically at the screen, indicating a few areas which had each been marked with a red circle. "Ace has clearly been doing a lot more than plotting world domination while he’s been down here," he said. "These are some kind of energy readings... and by the looks of things, he’s been tracking them for weeks. Whatever they mean, they must be important if Ace has been keeping tabs on them."

I took a closer look at the monitor. "Perhaps we could look for them?" I offered. "After all, there’s no point in us standing here like a couple of spare parts. Rain-bot will probably be in Ponyville somewhere, and once she sees for herself that we were right about her ‘dad’, she’ll be begging to join us — if only to knock some sense into him."

John nodded. "Sounds good to me," he said, taking up a nearby pen and a scrap of paper. "I’ll make a copy of the map, you go and find a couple of torches."

Wordlessly, I did as I was asked — though part of me began to dread just what it was we were letting ourselves in for.

***

A baleful creature watched the wreckage of the lab, and saw the two humans come out. Hefting a large rocket launcher, it observed the duo moving quickly, towards the forest, before its attention focused back on the lab. The humanoid monstrosity sniffed the air, and looked north. "Sorou…" it bellowed, before rushing off to parts unknown.

***

As Twilight and the girls entered Ponyville, they were surprised to find everypony panicking. A large crowd gathered around the group and started clamouring for attention. Twilight groaned and climbed onto a nearby crate of supplies, letting the words of the crowd flow over her like water from a shower.

"I saw it!" Raindrops shouted. "I saw another one of Ace’s terrible machines!"

"Has he returned!?" Lyra added. "We have to be ready! He could attack at any time!"

With so many ponies panicking, the girls had a difficult time getting any information. Twilight, who had been trying to calmly get everypony’s attention from her position atop the crate, was beginning to feel a little peeved at her lack of success. Finally, in a fit of annoyance, she took a deep breath — and shouted as loud as she could, the result being not only the first instance of the Royal Canterlot Voice not being used by either Celestia or Luna, but a sudden and deathly silence. "QUII~EEET!"

All the ponies turned to look at the source of the voice, and saw Twilight, looking very sternly at the previously panicking ponies. She began to announce her case in a very calm manner. "Thank you. Now then, I am very much interested in locating the machine that was just here. We have reason to believe it’s been programmed so drastically differently, it is a potential ally to our efforts to stop Dr. Robo."

Rainbow pulled Twilight aside, leering at her. "‘It?’" she whispered harshly. "I looked into Rain-bot’s eyes, Twilight, and I don’t think she can be called an ‘it’!"

"That may be, Rainbow Dash, but these ponies don’t know her. They wouldn’t understand." Twilight argued quietly, before returning to her speech. "Sorry. In any case, even if it isn’t our ally, it is crucial that we find it as soon as ponily possible, before anypony else gets hurt. With that in mind, we need a collaboration of all witnesses to determine where the machine is headed. I ask that you all cooperate with ourselves, and the local guardsponies, to the best of your abilities. Thank you."

***

A flying machine swiftly made its way to the palace in the skies of the Crystal Empire, ponies dashing into their houses at the sight of it. As it touched down right outside the Crystal Palace Cadence and Shining Armor trotted down, flanked by several guards. The door, which consisted of a large platform, unlatched itself from the top. On hinges at the bottom, the platform slowly lowered into a ramp. Four Doc-bots began marching out — these ones colored red, in stark contrast to the metal-hued bots that had performed the main assault. These bots acted differently, too. Where the normal Doc-bot would be statuesque in its vigil, these bots were constantly scanning their surroundings warily, resting their hands on holstered weapons.

The bots surveyed a large crowd of ponies that had gathered in a large circle around the Crystal Heart. None of them were making any hostile moves, and had looks of despair on their faces. Cadence and her entourage were bowing their heads, showing their submission. The bots moved to either side of the flying machine, standing guard and allowing a fifth figure to disembark from the flyer. To all outward appearances, it was Ace, but Shining Armor noted that his skin seemed a little... off. He was discoloured, and looked slightly sickly, but from the way he carried himself and the expression on his face, anypony would think that he never felt better.

Dr. Robo smirked as he made a beeline for the Crystal Heart. This is how it should be, he thought. No resistance, no death... this would have been so much easier for them if they had just decided to give up. Robo made his way to the Crystal Heart, but just as he began to reach for it, a young colt jumped in his way.

"You big meanie!" the colt shouted. "You’re not allowed to touch the Crystal Heart!" The colt’s mother, in a panic, tried to rush over to him — but the bots were quicker and moved to block everypony else from assisting the colt. Robo scowled at the youngster, before drawing his pistol from its holster.

"You’re young and foolish, little one," he stated, training the sights on him. "Step away from the heart, and return to your mother."

"No! My mommy told me that the Crystal Heart is the heart of pony happiness — and ponies can’t survive without their heart!" the colt insisted. "Ponies deserve to be happy, and you have no right to take that away!"

Time seemed to stand still as Dr. Robo stared down the young colt. No one could hear the conversation going on in his mind.

"Kill him," the voice said.

"He’s not a threat," Ace reasoned. "There’s no point in killing a harmless individual."

"He’s in our way," the voice repeated a little more forcefully. "Kill him."

"Why?" Ace wondered. "I could just as easily stun him, and knock him aside."

"If we are to rule this world, the inhabitants must learn to fear our name!" the voice demanded. "Make an example to all who would stand against you! Kill him, and ensure that all will fear your name!"

For a moment, Ace was still. He remained that way, his weapon aimed at the young child before him who was staring back indignantly. It was in that moment, Ace began to show his true colours.

"No," he replied.

"What?!" the voice shouted indignantly. "Dr. Robo, you would do well to reconsider this! You know that none of these ponies can ever love you, knowing all that you’ve done to them! Make them fear you! Make them suffer!"

"That’s not what I signed on for," Ace snapped. "I wanted to create a new world full of acceptance and peace. I don’t want the ponies to fear the world that I create. Even after they find a way to dethrone me - which, let’s face it, will be inevitable - if they fear me, then they’ll fear all that I have created, and work to tear it down. I don’t want them to fear that."

There might have been other words, but Ace didn’t hear them. For a moment, the sickly visage of Dr. Robo became healthy again, as he holstered his weapon. In that moment, the ponies thought he had given up. But then he shot forth and grabbed the colt by the scruff of his neck, lifting him to eye level.

"Be thankful that I am merciful, young one," Dr. Robo said, lifting him higher into the air. "Had I chosen to crush you under my heel, I could have done so. You’re nothing but an insect to me." Robo tossed the young colt aside, sending him skidding to his mother’s hooves, whereupon she quickly gathered him up in a hug. "Remember that next time you decide to challenge me." Robo looked around, a scowl on his face. "Are there any other takers?" He announced. When no one stepped up to face him, he smirked and turned back to the Crystal Heart.

Now unopposed, Robo reached out and took the heart. "Thank you for your business, Princess Cadence," he said, making his way back to the flyer.

"Dr. Robo!" Cadence called, causing him to pause. Cadence stood, looking distraught, but determined. "Our bargain?" She asked, reminding him.

"Ah, yes," Robo replied delightfully, handing the crystal heart off to one of his bots. He took a microphone from his PDA and spoke into it. "Release the prisoners." He said darkly, before boarding his flyer.

As his flyer’s door closed, more flyers appeared over the horizon, and rushed into the city. They all landed in strategic positions in the city streets, and alarms started going off. Ponies looked on in fear, as they felt they had been betrayed. After all, these fierce looking machines that landed could obliterate you if you got on the pilot’s bad side. The doors opened, the ramps went down…

And out rushed the various ponies who had been inhabiting the village near the train station. They galloped as fast as they could, rushing to reunite with their friends and loved ones. Ponies embraced, and happiness had been returned to those who deserved it.

"I’m a man of my word, Princess!" exclaimed Dr. Robo, through the loudspeaker on the flyer. "Our business here is concluded, so my forces and I will now take our leave!" And just like that, all of Dr. Robo’s machines fled, returning to the massive airship that they came from.

Author's Note:

I imported this directly from Google Docs, so let me know if you find any formatting mistakes. I think I got 'em all, but I can't be too sure.

Oh, and... er... sorry this took so long. Real Life got in the way again.

VERSION HISTORY

Version 1.2: Added yet another paragraph which went missing as a result of importing from Google Docs.
Version 1.1: Added two paragraphs which went missing as a result of importing from Google Docs.
Version 1.0: Original version.