• Published 27th Sep 2011
  • 32,029 Views, 454 Comments

Mating Season in Equestria - ratmage99



Watch as the dark side of Equestria is revealed when mating season comes around.

  • ...
50
 454
 32,029

Beauty Beyond Sight - Rarity's Tale

Rarity sighed, picking a mannequin off the floor, dusting off the dress that had been placed on it. "Those fillies have been causing me so much trouble." She sighed. "I do adore them, though. Ah, to be young again." She smiled a bit with remembrance. "Then again..." She thought a moment. "My skin was far worse then..."

A knock came at Rarity's door, causing her to come out of her stupor. "Oh, do come in, won't you?" Rarity called out. She hurriedly tidied up the room, walking out into the main foyer. "Ah, hello, Vinyl. What brings you around?" Rarity smiled, spotting the white unicorn with the electric blue mane. Her sunglasses glimmered in the faint amounts of light coming from the large windows.

"I've got a gig tonight, baby." Vinyl said, her voice sultry. "You always know just what's right, baby, and for my show tonight, I need just right."

Rarity laughed a bit. "Oh, you always were blind as a bat when it came to fashion, darling."

"I'm blind as a bat when it comes to everything, baby. Or did you forget?" Vinyl Scratch removed her sunglasses, revealing her red eyes that seemed to be staring through everything they passed.

"Of course not, Vinyl, darling, but please do put those back on, you know you shouldn't have them off. Bad for your eyes." Rarity scolded.

"Don't worry about it, baby, bad for my eyes don't matter. About my threads, though, I need some real kicking ones, can you hook me up?" Vinyl Scratch asked her.

"Of course I can." Rarity grinned. "After all, you are one of my best customers. I can't say I appreciate your... style, as it were, but I do appreciate a friendly face."

"My style is my style, baby. It ain't for everypony." Vinyl Scratch shot her a bright smile. "And I don't want it no other way."

"You certainly are original." Rarity agreed with a small laugh. "What event are you performing at tonight, Vinyl? I'll need to plan my design accordingly."

"It's a wedding, baby, some lucky pony is getting a real fine chick." Vinyl laughed.

"Now Vinyl, you know I don't like talk like that in my shop. I don't care that you prefer the company of mares, but I'd prefer if you didn't talk about it." Rarity gently scolded.

"Come on, baby, don't tell you never sampled from the other side of the snack tray before. A pretty young thing like yourself must get all kinds of attention from both sexes." Vinyl laughed a bit.

"I have been... propositioned, yes, but I have never obliged. Oh, listen to me, this is not a ladylike conversation at all." Rarity put a hoof to her cheek.

"Relax, baby, Vinyl Scratch don't tell nopony's secrets. Who are ya' pinin' after now, anyways, after that old Blueblood turned out to be a rudeblood?"

"Oh, nopony, really." Rarity sighed a bit. "I'm afraid that I haven't really had time to go looking, not that I'd want to. Sweetie Belle sure doesn't make it easy for me. She tires me so. I must have horrible wrinkles right now."

"Naw, baby, you look damn good." Vinyl Scratch smiled at her. "Why you taking care of that pipsqueak, anyhow, she's your sister, not your daughter."

"Our parents are not in town. They've been out of the country for a few years, doing Celestia-knows-what." Rarity sighed a bit. "And watch your language, missy."

"You watch yours, baby, I'm nopony's missy." Vinyl Scratch said, not angrily, but a bit annoyed.

"Sorry, Vinyl, I didn't mean anything by it. I'd forgotten how much you hate it when I call you that." Rarity frowned. "Sorry." She repeated.

"Don't worry 'bout it, baby." Vinyl Scratch smiled.

"Tell me, Vinyl," Rarity said, pulling out her trusty measuring tape and beginning to take her measurements. "When did you know you didn't like stallions?"

"My first date." Vinyl Scratch laughed. "He was a real charmer. Tried to get me in bed after a few drinks."

"Did you?" Rarity asked.

"Not at all." Vinyl laughed. "Not that I usually kiss and tell, but he was a loser, and I wasn't going to have any of that."

"Is that better with mares?" Rarity asked, writing a few measurements down.

"Oh, baby, mares are so much better. It's like, like dating your best friend, you dig?" Vinyl smiled a bit. "I just ain't find the right mare yet."

"Chipper up, Vinyl. I'm sure you'll find somepony. In fact, if you just grew your mane out and perhaps brushed it every once in a while, you could be a model, I'm sure of it." Rarity smiled.

"Oh, baby, you're too kind." Vinyl Scratch laughed a bit. "Hey, Rarity, baby, when was the last time you got out of this stuffy old shop?"

"Oh, probably since the gala, I've been far too busy since that." Rarity sighed quietly. "Not to mention that I haven't really wanted to date much after my last disastrous date." She set down a few swatches of fabric, hemming and hawing as she tried to decide witch would be best.

"You could be like me, baby, I see it in you. You need the tender lovin' only a mare can give." Vinyl scratch laughed.

"That is quite enough of that, Vinyl." Rarity warned. "I am not like you... in that regard at least."

"If you say so, baby. It's too bad, you're one fine unicorn." Vinyl laughed. "Or so I hear."

"Now now, Vinyl, let me finish my work." Rarity said, seeming a bit annoyed.

"Sorry, baby." Vinyl stayed silent for a while after that while Rarity began stitching a few pieces of fabric together.

"Tell me, Vinyl, how did you get into the DJ business? It must have been somewhat difficult with your vision problems." Rarity said casually.

"Naw, baby, this here blindness gives me excellent hearing. And as for how I started, well, I suppose you could call me the black sheep of a musical family. They were all into that classical stuff, violins and crap." Vinyl stuck her tongue out in disgust. "You should've seen their faces when I told them I wanted to be a DJ. I don't think I've ever seen such disappointed ponies."

"Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that, darling." Rarity said, dressing Vinyl Scratch up in something that was a mix of a fancy dress, and a bit of Vinyl Scratch's "street," as she called it. "How do you like it?"

"Looks great, baby. Tell me, you got the time?" Vinyl asked.

"Of course, it's still pretty early, about..." Rarity looked up at the clock. "Eight A.M."

"Oh, baby! You're fast with them hooves." Vinyl laughed. "I got hours until I got to go to that wedding. You want to grab a bite?"

"Well, I suppose I could go for a nice daffodil sandwich, although it's a bit too early for that." Rarity frowned a bit.

"It don't matter, baby. Why care where the sun is in the sky? You won't be able to see it forever." Vinyl Scratch grinned. "Live life to the fullest, baby."

"Hmm... I suppose you are right, Vinyl. Oh, what the hay, let's go." Rarity smiled.

"Alright, baby. I know the perfect place." Vinyl Scratch laughed a bit. "You're gonna love it, baby."

"Very well, just let me close up shop." Rarity said, going around the shop and shutting off all of the lights and putting up the closed sign. "Alright." Rarity looked around, double-checking that everything had been done. "Would you like me to lead you?"

"Baby, I've been there thousands of times, I'm going to be leading you." Vinyl Scratch opened the door. "I may be blind, but I sure as hay ain't lettin' nopony lead me around like a dog."

"I'm sorry, Vinyl, I didn't mean to offend you." Rarity frowned, feeling terrible.

"Don't worry 'bout it, baby, I'm used to it." Vinyl Scratch waved a hoof. "But for that, you're paying." She smiled.

"Oh, of course, darling, I wouldn't dream of making you pay." Rarity said in her drawling accent.

"That makes this a date, you know." Vinyl Scratch laughed.

"I guess so." Rarity laughed with her, walking out the door.

Vinyl Scratch smiled, leading the way through Ponyville. She made a point of walking directly in front of Rarity the entire time so she was forced to look at her rump. She rather enjoyed teasing Rarity, although she had to admit to herself, Rarity was definitely a charmer, and she really couldn't help but to be attracted. She crashed into a pony in front of her, gasping a bit. "Oh, I'm sorry, baby!" She said quickly.

"No problem." A familiar sultry voice replied.

"Rarity? How did you...?" Vinyl Scratch said confusedly.

"You were about to walk right into the wall of this building, so I figured better you hit my flank than the hard building." Rarity said.

"So, wait... what I just hit was...." Vinyl Scratch searched for the ladylike term for it.

"What you'd refer to as my ass." Rarity said bemusedly.

Vinyl felt herself blush bright red. "Oh, ummm....." She dropped her "street" accent momentarily, unable to keep it up in her embarrassment.

"My, my, my, so we are hearing the true Vinyl Scratch now?" Rarity asked, chuckling a bit.

"N-no, baby." Vinyl Scratch quickly recovered, her cheeks still feeling red hot.

"Oh, Vinyl." Rarity chuckled. "How long are you going to keep up this charade? We both know you secretly would love to be in my body."

Vinyl Scratch stifled a laugh. She thought a bit. "Ummm... I'm kind of lost now..."

"Don't worry about it, Vinyl, I'm sure that I can find it, what's it called?" Rarity asked.

"Well... it's..." Vinyl coughed a bit. "It's called... The Hot Flank..."

"You were going to take me... TO A LESBIAN BAR?!" Rarity growled.

"No! No! ... Well, yes, but it's more than that. They understand me there like nopony else." Vinyl Scratch frowned, knowing this was a bad idea. "Honestly... you're the only straight pony that knows..."

Rarity sighed a bit. "Come on, we'll just head back to my place for tea or something." She said. She led the way through town, using a spell Twilight had taught her to gently guide Vinyl Scratch along with her. She opened the door to her home, stepping in. The house looked just like everypony else's, identical in every detail to the thatched-reed houses that were all over town on the inside, even though it looked large and elegant on the inside.

Rarity sighed. "I know how you feel, having a secret that you want to keep from everypony. My house, inside of its walls, are completely and utterly identical to every other house in Ponyville. I always pretend I only care about grace and elegance, but deep down, all I've ever wanted was to fit in with the regular ponies."

"Why do you always try to act so fancy then?" Vinyl asked, speaking with an unfamiliar voice, a voice that wasn't phony and cool, but a voice that she had always imagined she'd use with somepony she was more intimate with.

"Everypony's come to expect it from me." Rarity sighed. "It was just something my parents wanted of me. 'Speak properly, Rarity,' 'Don't slouch, Rarity,' 'A lady doesn't do that, Rarity.'" She kicked at the floor. "I only ever wanted ponies to like me. I guess I succeeded. But now Sweetie Belle is the only one who knows the real me. I can't even bring myself to tell Twilight, and she's one of my best friends. Even Fluttershy doesn't know. Hell, Sweetie Belle hardly even knows, she only knows that my house is very normal on the inside. I do worry about her fragile little mind. What would she do if her sister was an outcast? Or worse, just another pony that has been doing something she's hated her whole life!"

"I know how you feel. I never wanted to be a DJ. I didn't want to follow in my family's footsteps by any means, but I wanted to be a singer. Not just any singer. A jazz singer." Vinyl Scratch smiled a bit. "I used to spend hours listening to jazz records in my room... but now... I hate most of the music I play. I only did it to piss off..." She put on a fake snooty Manehattan accent, "Mummy and Daddy." She stuck her tongue out. "And now I'm in too deep to change things. Ponies depend on me
to be DJ Pon-3. God, what a stupid pseudonym."

"That's a word I'd never have expected from you, Vinyl." Rarity laughed.

"Few have. I used to want to be an author." Vinyl Scratch sighed a bit. "But that's something my parents forbid even though it met their fancy standards. 'The Scratch family is in music, and we always will be.' They always told me that."

Rarity put a hoof on Vinyl Scratch's shoulder. "Do they even know about your... preferences?"

"Oh, hell no." Vinyl snorted. She quickly recovered. "Oh, sorry, you don't like that language."

"I really don't give a damn." Rarity laughed a bit.

"So Rarity, why do you make dresses if you hate it so much?" Vinyl asked.

"Oh, no." Rarity shook her head. "I don't hate making dresses, but the customers, those I hate. Do you remember the fashion show I had last year?"

"Of course I do." Vinyl laughed a bit. "That's where I met you."

"That was the only time I had ever hated my friends. And so far, the last." Rarity sighed. "It's the only part of this whole façade I actually like."

"Rarity, I'm real sorry for trying to bring you to that bar. I thought maybe if you saw how we lived, you wouldn't think we were so different and would... maybe you'd change your mind..."

"Oh, Vinyl..." Rarity sighed a bit. She placed a hoof on Vinyl's cheek. "You wouldn't have had to." She gently kissed the unicorn pony, taking her in a close embrace.

Vinyl Scratch gasped a bit, her heart fluttering as she felt her lips touch Rarity's. The two stayed there with their lips locked together for what felt like eons before finally pulling apart.

Vinyl breathed out heavily. "That was... that was... wow."

Rarity nuzzled her. "I've never got along well with stallions anyways."

Vinyl Scratch smiled. "Are you sure you want to be with a mare with so many... issues?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing." Rarity laughed a bit. "Secrets are easier to keep between lovers anyways, are they not?" She allowed her voice to take on the fancy air she had been using for practically her whole life.

"Yeah, baby, it'll be our little secret, as long as you don't tell anypony about me crashing into your flank." Vinyl Scratch laughed a bit.

"Speaking of which, you may want to wipe your horn off or something. You may have hit me at a bit different angle than I previously led you to believe." Rarity said, her embarrassment apparent in her voice.

"Oh..." Realization hit Vinyl Scratch like a truck. "Ohhhh....... Oh!" She giggled a bit, something Rarity had never heard her do.

"From now on, that only happens on purpose. I'll pencil you in for another appointment, say... noon?" Rarity laughed a bit.

"Shouldn't you go back and reopen the shop?" Vinyl Scratch asked, pretending she hadn't heard Rarity's plan.

"I'd much prefer to stay here with you. After all, Sweetie Belle is away for, most likely, the whole day, and I'd like some company. You have a while before the wedding, yes?" Rarity asked Vinyl, stroking her short mane.

"I suppose so." Vinyl Scratch smiled. "And I don't think they would object to me bringing a date."

Rarity blushed a bit, glad that Vinyl couldn't see it. "I would be honored to go with a fine mare such as yourself."

"I would be honored to be escorted by a mare such as yourself." Vinyl Scratch smiled.

"So, who's getting married tonight, anyways?" Rarity asked.

"Oh, you didn't hear?" Vinyl Scratch asked, a bit worried. "I mean, yeah, it was a bit rushed, but I thought you of all ponies would know."

"Who?" Rarity repeated.

"Your friend Pinkie Pie." Vinyl Scratch responded.

-----------------------------------

The End of Rarity's Tale

Special mad crazy props to JuyUnseen, who has kind of been my unofficial proofreader, telling me what I've been doing wrong and helping me right these wrongs. Make sure to check him out if you get a chance, he's written a few fics that are (I believe) pretty darned good, especially The Alicorn's Pride.

Author's Notes: This chapter was sort of meant as a break from the semi-intense story we have been getting, to show that life is still going on for all the ponies in Equestria, not to say their lives won't be affected by the events taking place, but currently, they are completely unaware of what is going on. Also, I liked the idea of two ponies, both basically living a lie, coming together and using that common ground to come together. You may have noticed a distinct lack of environmental details. I did this so that the reader at times got a sense of what Vinyl Scratch is currently going through, not having any idea what most things look like and not being quite able to picture it. I tried to use details only when absolutely necessary to understand what was going on. I realize this is a bad writing style and I will probably not be employing it again, but as I stated earlier, the entire point of this story was for me to step out of my comfort zone, and it just kind of blew up after a few chapters. These chapters have been taking quite a lot longer to write lately, partially because now that I know it's under far more scrutiny, I've been trying to take things more carefully, and also because my life is so crazy. I would not be at all surprised if the next chapter, (which may be my longest yet, it will be a combination of Scootaloo's chapter and this chapter with tons of story and quite a lot of shipping,) is posted until late next week.