• Published 27th Sep 2011
  • 31,982 Views, 454 Comments

Mating Season in Equestria - ratmage99



Watch as the dark side of Equestria is revealed when mating season comes around.

  • ...
51
 454
 31,982

Tipping the Scales - Spike's Ballad

Spike sighed peacefully, laying back in his bed. "I wonder how Twilight's date is going? It's going to be so boring this week without her to clean up after." Spike felt a soreness in his stomach that was completely foreign to him. He scratched his scaly skin, thinking hard. "I wonder if I'll ever participate in mating season." He didn't know exactly who he was talking to, but the talking made him feel a bit less lonely with only him and Owlowicious, an owl that never seemed all that fond of conversation. "I suppose I'd need to find a female dragon first, because I doubt I'd be able to participate with Rarity."

"Who?" Owlowicious cocked his head, staring at Spike from its perch on the desk.

"I don't know, I've never even met a female dragon." Spike shrugged. "I'm not even sure if there's any left." It hurt his heart to say it, but many times he had doubted the existence of female dragons. He had often found himself having nightmares about being the last of his kind in all of Equestria. He sighed. "I wonder what it would be like to have a mate..." He closed his eyes, smiling a bit as he imagined it.

-------------------------------

Spike walked into a large, circular room made entirely of marble. He hung his cape on a hat rack near the door. "Honey, I'm home!" He called out, his voice unchanged by time. A stunning blue dragon walked into the room, her scales shimmering in the light. She smiled at him, her green eyes reflecting the light perfectly.

"Hello, darling." The dragon's voice was smooth as silk, and flowed into Spike's ears like the ocean water gently lapping the shore. "How was your day?"

"Great." Spike grinned. "Queen Twilight and King Macintosh had me running errands all day, so I got to say I was visiting shops by royal mandate! Well, the ones I fit inside, at least." He laughed, stretching out on the large green couch that lay near the fireplace. "But boy, am I beat."

The female dragon smiled kindly. "Well, dinner will be ready soon. How about you take a nap and I'll wake you when its ready?"

"Sounds good." Spike yawned widely, stretching out. He dozed off almost immediately. A loud scream woke him up. He immediately jumped to his feet, the marble cracking under the instant pressure change. He ran to the kitchen where there was a pan on the floor and a small window open. He poked his head out of the window, spotting a large red dragon flying away, Spike's sapphire mate in tow.

Spike gasped. "Nefari! My old nemesis!" He burst through the wall, flying after the dragon at breakneck speeds. He punched the dragon square in the jaw, causing him to drop Spike's mate. "Rarity!" Spike cried out, flying down and catching her in midair, carrying her safely down to land. "Let that be a lesson to you, Nefari, don't mess with Spike and Rarity!" The red dragon nodded quickly, flying away in fear.

"Oh, Spike, you're my hero!" The blue dragon wrapped her arms around him, kissing him repeatedly.

"All in a day's work." Spike smiled proudly, the scene fading to black.

---------------------

Spike opened his eyes, yawning. The sun had gone down and Spike was sitting in complete darkness. He stretched, lighting a candle with his firey breath. He looked to the nightstand, a picture of Rarity glistening in the dim light of the candle. He smiled a bit. "Someday, Rarity, someday I'll be a dragon worthy of your attention. Someday I'll be Super Spike!"

Owlowicious looked at him, a confused look on his face. "Who?" He asked.

The End of Spike's Ballad