• Published 8th May 2013
  • 1,775 Views, 41 Comments

Music, Muscle, and the Multiverse - themultiversewatcher



A man and his sister find themselves mysteriously transforming into ponies.

  • ...
18
 41
 1,775

The Late Bloom

Hooray! Today is my birthday. I haven't seen either Sean or Sara, which is unusual. Most of the time, Sara and I cross paths as she goes on her morning runs. Its always an enjoyable time talking to her. She always had the latest on the stats of sports teams across the country, and loves to make tournament matches, like the ones used during March Madness or something. I'm a flower person myself. I have always had an affinity for knowing how they're doing. Its as if I can feel their presence and stuff.

Oh, I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I am Jenna Carthage. I have been described as a kind, air-headed girl with a green thumb. Not literally. I have been friends with the Camerons since middle school. I have always thought that Sean was cute. He has a kindness about him that you don't usually get around guys who listen to the type of rock that he listens to. Oh, there I go again, ignoring what others are interested in. Haha.

I am glad to call Tolland my home. My flower shop is famous for its amazing flowers. People come from everywhere to see me for advice, such as my secret for eternally blooming flowers. You want to know my secret: listen carefully, and you can hear the voices of the flowers telling you what their needs are. That's my secret. Not joking. Well, I bet you're bored. I know, I'm a boring person, you get used to it.


I get out of bed at 8:00 sharp, as I do every morning. Thankfully, its Sunday, so I don't open the shop today. I go outside to tend to my flowers, not even getting dressed to do so. I don't need to get dressed today, anyway. But I will shower, because its gross not to. The flowers don't like the one caring for them to smell like the manure that gives them nourishment. They like her to smell like flowers. I talk to my flowers. It helps them grow, despite how strange it sounds.

"Good morning, my babies," I say to them, "Its mommy's birthday, so I hope you don't mind me picking you. Now, which one wants to be picked to make a beautiful bouquet?" I pick out three tulips, four petunias and five roses, my favorite. I put them in a vase that compliments their natural grace and beauty. I remove the old, dying plants and put them into the compost pile in my backyard. See, flowers love compost. It helps them grow and bloom. The old flowers will provide the wonderful nutrients that make my new flowers beautiful.

I was born at 9:00 in the morning, which is why I am a morning person. Oh, yeah, I like morning glories because we both bloom each morning and close up at night, however, nothing beats a bright red rose. By the time I finish tending to the flowers, its already 8:50. Luckily, I made my cake last night. Its carrot cake. I love carrot cake. I quickly put the single candle into the middle of the cake. With just a minute left, I get ready. Thirty seconds. The anticipation is getting stronger. Five seconds. I get ready to blow out the candle.

Aaaand...I freeze. My vision unfocuses. All I can think of is a flower stand in a small town. Some beast is trying to destroy my flowers. I am startled by the flowers wrapping around me. The creature opens his mouth, and all I hear is five words.

"Five score, divided by four."
Suddenly, I am back in my kitchen. I look at the clock and am startled to see that five minutes have passed. I shake off the dizziness. Hope it doesn't happen again. I blow out the candle after wishing . I'd tell you that wish, but then it wouldn't come true, would it? Anyways, back to me. I put the cake aside after that, not really feeling up to food at the moment. I decide to take that shower now instead of after. I suppose I could ask the flowers, but they only really care about their needs. Other than that, they aren't very talkative.

So, I take off my pajamas and climb into the shower. I suddenly notice that my thighs are slightly itchy. I look down and see that there is a rose there where there wasn't one before. I am not the type of girl that goes out to get tramp stamps. I try to stay away from tattoo parlors. Besides, the closest tattoo parlor is over on the UConn campus, and I rarely need to go that far to do anything. If I need garden supplies, I'll go to the local hardware store. If I need to get groceries, I simply need to go to the Big Y down the highway. If I need to get to my flower shop, I need to go to the town green. I rarely eat out, anyway. Oops, off topic again.

Well, I must tell you, although both Sean and Sara are bronies, I am not. I didn't really care for the show or the fan base, but I knew enough to recognize this tattoo looks like the one on Roseluck, the only pony I ever identified with. In fact, the only MLP merchandise I own is a small, plush Roseluck, given to me on my twentieth birthday by Sean. I had a feeling that he wanted more, but stayed in his shell. It was too bad, I would have said "yes". Who could say no to a nice guy like him? It was unlikely that ether Treble or Lightning...um...Sean or Sara...would have the heart to pull a prank like this, and nobody else I knew even liked the show, so it certainly wasn't one of them.

I shrug off my thoughts about that, and finish my shower. I walk downstairs to go outside and tend to my gardens, when my plants in the vase seem to tell me to come closer. As I approach, I feel as though the plants are speaking to me. Now, this isn't the normal speech, its as if they could literally talk. What I hear sends a wave of dizziness through my head.

Five score, memories sore,

Friends in need are friends indeed,

Go to their place and show a friendly face,

You will be their saving grace,

five score, divided by four.

As abruptly as it began, it ends. All I can think about is Treble and Lightning, and how scared they may be, although I don't clearly understand why. I leave the house slowly, as though in a trance. I notice that their cars are still parked outside. I haven't seen anyone outside, so I assume they are still inside. I walk up to the front door and ring the doorbell. Ding-dong...no answer. Ding-dong...still no answer. I try the doorknob. To my complete surprise, it opens. I walk slowly into the house.

"Hello? Treble, Lightning, are you home?" I shout.

I hear a fear-stricken voice from the living room, "Don't come in! I don't want you to see us right now! Go away!"

I mentally prepare myself for something scary. It still does not prepare me for what I walked in on. There, in the place of my friends, are two anthropomorphic ponies. One pony I recognize immediately as Lightning Dust, (I am only sure of this because of pics that Sara has shown me), if she looked like a pony-human hybrid. The other eludes me. He is an amber pony with a red and coal black striped mane and tail.

My entrance seems to have stopped them cold in their tracks. I feel a scream coming on, and I just barely hold it back. "Wh-who are you, and what h-have you d-d-done to my f-friends?" I ask, fear taking over my voice. Without waiting for them to answer, I faint.


It's Discord! We're all doomed! This is at least three times worse than that bunny stampede a few years ago! I must protect my home! I run around to the front of my shop as I am being chased by rogue sandwiches, grabbing as many flowers as I can. Finally, the last one. The box of my precious roses. Suddenly, the roses wrap themselves around me. All I see is the beast, Discord, standing over me.

"Five score, divided by four," he says before casting a spell that makes the world disappear around me. Everything fades to black.

Author's Note:

Great feedback. Thanks for the ability to introduce my characters at my own pace. And thanks to TwistedSpectrum for the chance to introduce my OC, Treble Clef. Sean and Sara's, now Treble and Lightning's, perspective of Roseluck's birthday coming up.