• Published 8th May 2013
  • 3,389 Views, 43 Comments

The Adventures of Jake in Equestria - Sky Hawk



Getting use to a new life, a new world, and having the love of an immortal princess.... Life is anything but boring.

  • ...
5
 43
 3,389

Trouble with Teleportation and Bullies

The next couple of weeks were full of study and lectures and homework. Jake couldn’t remember the last time he studied this hard. The mornings were spent reviewing the homework from the night before, followed by the daily lecture. After lunch he practiced the spells he was learning. Some spells he got right away, like the growing spell (which could be used to grow plants or just facial hair on a certain dragon), repair spell (for all the damage he might cause). Twilight had mentioned that magic would come easier for him because he was an alicorn but he was nowhere near ready for some of the advanced spells. He kept in touch with Celestia through letters. On Jake’s request she didn’t visit often since he needed to study hard to get his magic down.

One spell in particular Jake always seemed to have problems with was the teleportation spell. He went to places he wasn’t aiming for. He remembered what Twilight said to him on the first day of attempting this spell. Teleportation requires a lot of concentration. You are picturing where you want to go and focusing your magic in on yourself. The first couple of times will leave you slightly disorientated but that’s normal. The more you do it, the easier it get’s, I promise.

Famous last word, he thought. He missed his target everytime. The first time he was supposed to go from one side of the room to the other, instead he went across town. Apple Jack was there trying to fix a busted wheel on her apple cart. He remembered feeling hungry before casting the spell. For his assistance in the repairs he got an apple. The second attempt he thought about flying before casting the spell and it put him on the roof. Twilight theorized he was getting it right. He just needed to focus on the target. His magic was taking him where he really wanted to go. I’m going to get this right, so that I can help others. He thought.

“Are you ready this time, Star?” Twilight asked.

“Ready, Twilight.” Jake took a deep breath and focused on the target just across the room. There was a blinding flash, a *Snap* and he was gone. The next thing he knew he was in the woods. “Great! I’m never gonna get this down.” He had no idea where he was. So he picked a direction and started walking. He came across a clearing soon, which was a relief. At least I’m not that deep in the woods. As he approached the clearing he started hearing voices. The closer he got the more of the conversation he could make out. It sounded like chanting…”blank flanks, blank flanks.”

Jake was familiar with that term. Three fillies in particular from the show were teased all the time about having no cutie marks. He looked back at his own bare flank. Oh, I’m putting a stop to this right now. As he got closer to the clearing he realized it wasn’t a clearing at all but the edge of the school yard. He could see Diamond Tiara and her sidekick Silver Spoon, along with a few other kids, surrounding the Cutie mark crusaders.

“I can’t believe you guys are, like, trying to recruit new members into your stupid club.” Diamond Tiara mocked.

“It’s not stupid! Your bullying of those who don’t have their cutie mark yet just proves us right. Fillies and colts need to know there is a safe place they can go without ponies like you to harass them,” Scootaloo protested.

What kind of losers would be caught dead hanging with you guys? You three think you’re sooo special but you’re not. Only special ponies get their cutie marks first. You guys are more like special ed.

Jake smiled to himself. For the first time since he became an alicorn he was really going to enjoy his status as royalty. He emerged from the trees just behind the crusaders. “Excuse me. There is nothing wrong with these fine fillies.” The kids turned in surprise at Jake’s appearance.

“Who are you suppose to be anyways?” Diamond Tiara said in a harsh tone.

Jake spread his wings-and his horn glowed bright. “My name is Prince Distant Star and I’m used to being addressed in a more respectful manner.” The children all bowed quickly and kept their heads down.

“I..I’m sorry your highness. I didn’t know,” Diamond Tiara stammered.

“Would someone like to explain to me what is going on here?” Jake asked with regal authority. No one spoke so Jake decided to take the lead. “It sounded like you were bullying these three because they have no cutie mark.”

“We were only having fun. We didn’t mean it,” Silver Spoon said weakly.
“I don’t think the Crusaders would agree with you.”
Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom looked up for the first time. Jake had folded his wings and his horn had stopped glowing. “Yes, it’s true your highness. We are picked on because we don’t have our cutie marks yet,” Replied Sweetie Belle.

Jake turned to one side exposing his own bare flank. There was a collective gasp from the children. “Your flank! You don’t have a cutie mark!” Apple Bloom said.

“No, I don’t. I am not defined by a mark and neither are any of you. Yes, it is a sign of your special talent but your actions define you as a pony. These three have taken a noble stand against those who mock and shame others who have not discovered themselves yet. They wish to help others while they discover who they are. Without knowing their special talent I can say these are great fillies. It takes real courage to do what they’ve done. I myself do not yet know what my special talent is. I lost much so that is why I’m here, to relearn. Where I come from the penalty for bullying can be quite high. You would do well to remember this the next time you decide to have fun at someone else’s expense.”

The children all nodded, “Yes, your highness.”

“Now if you would excuse us. I would like to speak with the Crusaders alone please.”

The children dispersed leaving only a very shocked and confused bunch of Crusaders behind. As the fillies and colts leave the whispers can be heard among them, “How does he know about them?”

Once the rest were gone Jake turned to the three girls. “Are you three alright?”

Scootaloo is the first to find her voice. “How do you know about us, your highness?”

“Please, call me Star. The formal title was just to help make my point with the group. I figured Diamond Tiara would respond better to that.”
“Yeah she did. I don’t think I’ve ever heard her stutter before,” Apple Bloom said with a huge grin.
“You really think we’re brave and noble?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I meant every word. I’ve known of you three for awhile. Things like you helping others is exactly what Celestia is trying to achieve here in her kingdom,” Jake said with a smile.

“How do ya know about us?” Apple Bloom was shocked beyond measure that royalty had been keeping track of her and her friends.

“Princess Celestia and Luna have told me much of you. I was hoping to finally meet all of you. I didn’t see you at my house warming party thrown by Pinkie a couple of weeks ago.”

“Oh, we were camping at Zecora’s house. We were trying to get our cutie marks in potion making.” Sweetie Belle said.

“I thought we were going for our cutie marks in Everfree forest exploration?” Scootaloo asked.

“Ah who cares, it didn’t work, again.” Apple Bloom said as she looked down and kicked at the ground in front of her. “Sometimes it feels like we are never gonna get our cutie marks.”

“Apple Bloom, would your sister give up? What about your older brother or grandmother?”

“Well, no they wouldn’t, but every pony says just to be patient or it will come in its own time. But if we had our cutie marks we wouldn’t be harassed all the time,” Apple Bloom said and the three started to avert their eyes.

“Well before you start to get yourselves down think on this. What if you were not meant to get your cutie marks yet?”

“What do you mean?” Apple Bloom asked.
“What if you three are here to inspire other little ponies? Eventually you’ll discover your special talent, but for now just be yourselves. I know you hate hearing the phase, it’ll come in time, but it’s true.”

At this the three looked at each other, as the little light bulbs above their heads came on one at a time. “Star is right! If we got our cutie marks now who would help the others?” Scootaloo announced.

“Hey, maybe we could get our cutie marks in being inspirational ponies. What do you think that looks like?” Sweetie Belle chimed.

Jake smiled, feeling like his work here was done. “Well I have to be going now. I hope you give a lot of thought to what I’ve said. Remember it’s your actions and not a cutie mark that define who you are.”

“Wait, before you go. What were you doing in the woods?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Oh I was just in the area. But I really must be going. If you would like to visit I’m the house on the edge of town. I’m either there or at the library being taught by Twilight. See ya later.” With that Jake closed his eyes and took a deep breath and focused on the library. Once again there was a flash and a *SNAP* and Jake was gone. When he opened his eyes he was standing on the target. “YES! I finally did it!”

Twilight just cocked her head to one side. “Well almost. Where did you go this time?”

“The forest. I ran across Apple Bloom and her friends. They were being teased and I decided to step in and say something. At least when I teleported from that location I made it back here without heading off somewhere else.”

“Well, when you can teleport to the place you intend to go the first time instead of a side trip somewhere else to help others, then I will say you’ve got it. Till then you still need to practice. On that note, let’s call it a day. We’ll pick this up tomorrow.” Twilight said with a smile.

Jake went back home only to find three familiar fillies waiting on him. “Prince Star, we have something very important to ask you. You left before we had a chance and…” Apple Bloom trailed off and was brushing one front leg against the other.

“Yes? What is it, girls?” Jake’s curiosity was piqued. What could they want to ask him?

“We were wondering if you would like to become the newest cutie mark crusader, senior member because of your age even though you’re new an-“ Sweetie Belle was cut off with a hoof over her mouth by Scootaloo.

“Would you like to join?” Scootaloo cut to the point.

Jake smiled. This was going to make a very interesting story to tell Tia. He bowed and spread his wings. “It would be my honor to join your noble ranks.”

Apple Bloom stepped forward. “Then by unanimous decision, we welcome you, brother Star, to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Please accept this scarf as a symbol of your membership.”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle placed the scarf over Jake’s head and as he straightened it hung around his neck with the crusader symbol sitting on his chest. After all the congratulations and hugs, the girls went home and Jake went inside. Not a bad day. He thought to himself. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
He went upstairs and sat down at his desk and pulled out parchment and quill.
Dear Tia,
Today was fun. We got to teleporting and turns out I need to focus more. Every time I would jump I wound up finding somepony that needed my help. I hope your day was good, I miss you. No homework tonight. I am going to try and get the teleport thing right tomorrow.
I love you
Jake
P.S. I was also recruited into the cutie mark crusaders today…go figure.
He rolled and sealed the scroll, then went to bed.

. . .

Celestia was at the dinner table with her sister and had just finished reading Jake’s letter to her. “Sounds like he's doing very well there. I still miss having him around the castle. It's just not the same without him here,” Luna said with a weary smile.

“I know what you mean. The only reason I sent him away to learn from others was that I was starting to feel tired all the time. At first I told him that all his training would be handled here by us but with every passing day it just got harder to do,” Celestia looked about as tired as Luna.

“Tia, did you have the headaches again?”

“They come and go throughout the day but it’s nothing I can’t handle. What about you?”

Luna yawned, “I don’t get them as much but I must admit to having this draining feeling for awhile now. This had never happened to me before. What about you?”

“Not that I can recall. I had the royal physician look me over and he says I’m fine. He feels that I’m just over working myself.”

Luna gave her sister a whimsical look. “Seriously, we have never felt this way. Even before my 1000 year incident we never felt like this. It seems to be getting worst.”

“I know but I’m not sure what it could be?” Celestia said rubbing her head with her hoof.

“Have you told Jake about this?”

“No, and for now let’s keep it that way. He has enough on his plate to worry about without this. Besides we don’t even know what is going on. He needs to stay focused on his studies. He sounds so much happier now that he is really learning magic. If it gets really bad then we can tell him but for now just let him focus on his studies.”
“I don’t like keeping secretes from him,” Luna said looking worried.

“Nor do I but there isn’t anything he can do. We will look into this. For now though I think I will retire for the evening. Goodnight sweet sister.” As she said this Celestia walked around the table and nuzzled her sister on the side of her head.

“Good night Tia, sleep well.”

Author's Note:

Once again I would like to thank my editor Ashangra. Enjoy fellow brondies and don't be afraid to leave comments.