• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,439 Views, 43 Comments

The Orphan - Dramatic Stories



Scootaloo deals with the death of her parents

  • ...
13
 43
 3,439

11-The Next Phase

The Next Phase


After a sudden, yet exciting reunion with my father, I could only question what would come next. Ponyville's population has mostly returned after the small battle was fought. I am told that most who go in to retrieve their belongings, are forced to stay. The taxes were raised, and the economy in Ponyville collapsed.

To make matters worse, the Templars carelessness managed to burn down the south side of Ponyville, leaving many homeless. The fire nearly spread to Sugarcube corner, towards the southeast. Luckily, the rebellious ponies put the fire out themselves after the Templars gave up.

Flam still lives, and has fled Ponyville in fear of joining his brother. It was a wise decision. If he had stayed any longer, he would have been thrown in galloping gorge by the rebels.

Amongst the return of many ponies, they have all been forced to stay in Ponyville under the Templar order. Now, they have begun to form militia's to rebel against the Templars, and their control over the town.

Two months have passed since my father and I reunited. Since then, I've let my wound heal up, while he told me of the times he fought the Templars himself. He also taught me some of what he knew. Holora had never taught me anything unlike my dad did.

The only thing I have on my mind now, is now that my shoulder is better, and things seem to be in good order, is what will happen next? I will talk to my father about this this morning.


I sat down in a chair across the living room from my father. He had just answered a knock at the door, which his conversation with the stranger was short lived. He sat down with an envelope, and opened it. A folded piece of paper slipped out, which he grabbed, and immediately begun to read.

"Well, well, well..."He said. "Seems like one of your friends has found you."He gave me the letter, and I begun reading from it. I read it carefully.

Dear Scootaloo,

I hope this letter finds you well as I do not trust this address given to me. If this is not a mare by the name of Scootaloo, please discard this, and move on with your life...

Scootaloo, I am in need of help. I've learned of your work after I found Applebloom and Sweetie Belle knocking at my door. I'm sorry to hear about Ponyville, and wish you the best of luck. To get to my point...

Strange activity has been brewing in this part of the city, where my family and I live. Armed stallions have begun roaming the streets, carrying swords and hatchets on themselves. I'm worried that something may happen, and Manehatten may serve the same fate as Ponyville. Please, either write back, or come help. I fear that it won't be long before they find out about our contact with you.

Regards,

Babs Seed

I dropped the letter, and walked into the room in which I had been sleeping in. "Where are you going?"My father called. He followed me, as I stared at my hooded robe, which had remained untouched for the time I had been here.

"I have to go..."I said.

"To Manehatten I suppose?"My father asked.

"Yes. I dear friend to me is in trouble."I took the hooded robe off of the stand, and quickly slipped it on. Afterwards, I gathered my weapons, and sheathed them on myself, each at a time, carefully placing them in their correct positions. I heard fumbling behind me, and turned.

My father had opened a wardrobe that had been locked. I had asked why in the past, but he said it wasn't important. Just like that, the lock was on the floor, and the doors were open. Inside, was a piece of clothing, with small patches of orange around it. My father took it off the hook which held it, and stared at it. With a sigh, he unraveled the clothing.

I watched as my father transformed before my very eyes, slipping his legs through the four leg holes, and throwing the hood over his head. He looked up at me, and slowly walked toward me. "Seems we best get going."He said. With that, he turned for the front door.

"Wait, where are you going?"I asked. My father was walking toward Ponyville, while Manehatten was in the opposite direction.

"Into Ponyville...I've got something I need to do before we leave. It's near sugarcube corner, so we won't have to cut trough the town."My father spoke. I closed the front door, and followed my father toward Ponyville.


We approached Ponyville, as two Templar guards with swords stood guard from the entrance to town. "State your business."One said. My father approached one, while I approached the other.

"This is our business."My father said aloud, as his hidden blade unsheathed, and drove into the guards neck. I did the same, and the guard dropped to the floor. "Quick, toss them in the bushes."My father said. I picked up the heavy body, and heaved him into a nearby bush. "Good, now we'll circle around this way, the back of the building is right there."He pointed towards a building.

We walked around the back of each building, making sure we were not to be spotted. We reached his destination in no time at all, and went towards the back door. He twisted the door knob, and met a resistance. "Damn...locked."He took out a small dagger with a blade small enough to fit inside the lock. He twisted, and fiddled with the lock, until he heard a small click.

He turned the door knob a second time, and this time, it opened the door. "Come on."He said. He walked in the store from the back entrance, and quietly peaked into the front, where a familiar face was standing behind the counter.

"Holora?"I said aloud.

"Quiet."My father said. Too late, Holora had turned and looked at me. I quickly walked up to him, and gave him a brief hug.

"Oh."He said. "Well, I wasn't expecting visitors."Holora looked over at my father. "By Celestia's hoof...is it really you?"

"Yes...it's good to see you old friend."My father shook hooves with Holora.

"Still wearing the hood I see...what are you two up to?"Holora asked.

"We were just on our way to manehatten. A friend of mine is in need of my help."I said. "What's been happening around here?"I asked.

"Quite a lot actually. The Templars haven't left there smartest soldiers to hold his place. Many of the ponies who returned, formed a little rebellion. In the end, they ended up taking control of this side of the town...that is, before the fire on the south-east. It nearly spread here."Holora explained. "So, this is our territory now. Most ponies come to me for any battle equipment they need."

"Well, that's what I've come here for as well."My father said. "It's been a while, and most of my blades have gone...rather dull."

"All you had to do was ask."Holora walked to the back of the store, where he opened up the basement. He walked down, and came back up with in seconds. A tomahawk was held in his hooves as he came back up. "Here, will this do?"He asked my father, presenting the hatchet to him. My father picked it up, and gently waved it around a bit.

"It's perfect."He sheathed the tomahawk in a holster.

"Just like old times?"Holora asked.

"Maybe...with these new weapons I've seen lately. The Templars have developed a weapon unlike any other. It uses sulfer, and a long metal tube to launch a metal projectile at the enemy. They're not very accurate, but when you get hit by one...the injury can me terminal."My father explained.

"You could have just said musket."Holora said, giving a laugh.

"I hate to pull you away, but we really have to get going. Anything else you need dad?"I asked.

"No. We best get going."My father spoke.

"Ah ah ah."Holora said, getting our attention once more. "I'm glad you brought up muskets, because I've got something for you both."Holora reached under the cashier counter, and pulled out two small pistols, along with two new weapon's belts with gun holsters on them. He tossed them to my father and I. "Make it an early hearth's warming eve's gift."Holora said.

My father and I equipped the new weapons to ourselves, and thanked Holora. "We must get going. Take care old colt."My father said as I opened the front door.

"Who are you calling old?"Holora said as my father quickly followed me.

"Let's get going...I fear the Pegasi are brewing for the winter's first snow."I looked up at the building clouds above us as a breeze with a cold chill behind it swept across my fur. Winter was approaching our doorstep.