• Published 6th May 2013
  • 1,263 Views, 68 Comments

Symphonies and Wubs - BLT185



How long can a man turn into a pony and keep his sanity intact?

  • ...
21
 68
 1,263

Chapter 10: I Fought the Law

My head was swimming.

“Octavia?”

Is this real, or am I dreaming again? I swear someone is calling my name.

“Tavi!”

I slowly opened my eyes. There was a white blob standing over me.

“Tavi! Can you hear me?”

I blinked. Vinyl was staring at me, a concerned look in her eyes. I found my footing and stood up. I quickly grasped my head, where did this headache come from? Oh, that’s right! Someone hit me over the head in the basement.

I stretched my legs and my neck, but Vinyl still looked worried

.“How many fingers am I holding up?” asked Vinyl raising her hoof

“You don’t have fingers anymore Vinyl” I facehoofed.

Around us were 3 walls, probably cast iron by the look of it, and a set of bars making up the fourth. A toilet sat in the corner, also metal, and 4 bunks horizontal to the wall.

“So... a jail?” I inquired, asking the obvious question.

“Ah have no idea sis.” Replied Fiddlesticks, who was lying on the bottom bunk. “One moment ah was cleaning the basement and I went to investigate. When I walked in the room, someone hit me in the head, and everything went dark. You got anything Vinyl?”

“According to the sheriff, someone broke into a liquor store last night and stole one of their most expensive liquors, and left the store in shambles. Apparently we’re the prime suspects; they found the bottle in our--the house, completely drained.” explained Vinyl.

“You just downed the whole bottle didn’t you?” I asked dryly.

“Maybe...” answered Vinyl, sheepishly.

“We’re going to have a talk about your little drinking problem later.” I said matter-of-factly.

“I have drinking problem? That’s like saying Rainbow Dash has a flying problem.” Vinyl said dryly. She huffed and folded her arms, pouting on the bed.

“Vinyl, we don’t have time for jokes we need to figure out a way out of here.” I whispered. The guard could be right outside after all.

“Oh that’s easy!” chirped Vinyl

“Oh really, how so?” I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Fiddlesticks lifted her head and looked at Vinyl, who flopped off the bed not as gracefully as she probably thought she could have.

“They left the keys on a hook just outside the cell. This would be fine for a normal person, much less a pony, but they didn’t account for my magic.” Vinyl smirked.

I looked outside of the bars and sure enough, there was a small key ring hanging from a hook.

“Can it really be that easy? There must be some sort of… of, something!” I mumbled

Then the much less reserved part of my mind shouted “No, you shut up, you’re gonna jinx us!” I swear it sounded exactly like Vinyl.

For once, I listened to that voice.

“Vinyl, do it.” I commanded.

She nodded as her horn lit up with a magenta glow. The keys began to levitate towards the cell door. It gently slid into the lock.

Fiddlesticks and I watched with baited breath as the key slowly turned. We heard a click. I pushed on the door with a hoof. It swung open until it clanged against the bars of the cell.

“Let’s get out of her while the coast is clear.” Whispered Fiddlesticks.

Vinyl and I nodded as we exited the cell. There was a long hallway with empty cells on one side and bare concrete wall on the other. We didn’t say a word as we crept down the hallway, stealth was critical and our hoof steps against the tile floor were already annoyingly loud as it was.

Outside of the hallway was a room with an empty reception desk and the next room was a small office with a nameplate on the desk. Just as we were about to open the front door it opened on its own.

The man on the other side of the door was the last thing you wanted to see when escaping from jail. A six foot four, overweight middle-aged man with a sheriff’s badge. He looked surprised, at least from what I could tell with the mirrored sunglasses over his eyes. We stood there staring at each other for a few silent moments.

But everything changed when Fiddlesticks attacked. “YOU’LL NEVER TAKE US ALIVE!” Fiddlesticks tackled the man and ran out the door with Vinyl and I following close behind. It was sunset outside, the sheriff’s office being on the other end of town with a thick forest not too far off in the distance and we were sprinting towards it as fast as our hooves could carry us.

The sheriff wasn’t far behind. He was chasing us in his car, the lights and siren blaring. He was gaining ground, but the woods weren’t too far off. We made a B-line for the tree line, and made it just in time.

We heard the car come to a screeching halt and heard the door slam. We hid behind a large tree. The sound of his boots stomping against the forest floor berated our ears. We held our breaths until we heard him pass.

We released a sigh. “Found ya!” we heard a deep voice say.

We heard the pump of a shotgun and took that as cue to start running again. The first few shots were near misses. After a particularly loud shot, I heard a cry of pain next to me and I looked over too see Fiddlesticks limping.

Without the aid of his car, the sheriff couldn’t keep up with us. As the sun set we eventually lost him in the darkness. We ran for a few more minutes just to be certain.

When we finally stopped, all three of us were gasping for breath. I don’t think I’ve ever run so far or fast in my life.

It was then that we noticed Fiddlesticks was bleeding, excessively. I asked Vinyl to look at the wound, but she refused, saying that if the sheriff found us we would need to run again, and removing the bullet would make that impossible.

The situation looked bad. Fiddlesticks was injured, our supplies were still at the house, and worst of all we had a crazy sheriff out to get us.

One thing was clear. Nopony would be sleeping tonight.

Author's Note:

I'm not completely happy with how this one turned out.

Sorry it took so long, but work and a family emergency left me with little time to write.

You guys should really check PegasusAI's new story, it's really good.