• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,657 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,657

PreviousChapters Next
42 - Planning is Dangerous



What?” was more or less the collective response of all present before the Tree of Harmony. It was voiced and thought in a variety of questions and levels of urgency. Except for Chrysalis, of course. She was used to such things coming from elder beings and withheld her calm from the hivemind for the purpose of her own amusement.

Burn? Queen of War? Twilight queried in shock. Her fellow hive members helped snap her out of it long enough to ask the obvious. Are you really the Tree of Harmony?

Of course I am, the almost whispery voice responded. You don't happen to have your dirty little hooves on any other tree do you? I must admit, your reaction was worth the wait.

Twilight closed her mouth, which she only just realized had been gaping open for a while.

I always wanted to do that, the tree giggled in its unvoiced magical means of communication.

Chrysalis looked deadpan at her queen. Don't worry, Twilight. Eccentricity comes with being old.

The alicorn mare found a grin to show in return. “I know,” she strongly insinuated towards her changeling, who stuck her tongue out playfully.

You're smaller than I was expecting, the tree continued. Your horn is shorter too.

Twilight's grin turned to a frown as she looked back to the tree. And you're testier than I expected.

If the giant plant had arms, it might have crossed them. I can't help it if a pair of pony princesses plucked my Elements from my branches and then haven't bothered to return them in over one thousand years. Now I see them right in front of me and I want them back.

Rainbow lifted her gaze so she was looking down her nose at the tree. She knew Twilight wanted to bring them in case they needed them to placate the tree, but she avoided giving voice to that. “Equestria needs them. How are we supposed to defend ourselves without the Elements?”

Simple, the tree barked back. It said nothing more and, instead, one of its roots splintered up from the soil beneath Rainbow's hooves. It knocked her onto her back, causing the chest of Element necklaces and crown to spill over on the ground.

Twilight's eyes widened. She was caught between racing over to Rainbow and demanding what the tree thought it was doing. Though she was communicating with it over her hivemind, the tree was not a part of it. She could only hear its words, not its thoughts or intentions.

Applejack didn't have as much hesitation. She immediately leaped over to the root next to Rainbow and kicked it away with her rear hooves. “Consarned weed!”

The root reeled back for only a second before causing a rumble from the ground and bursting forth more of its length. The ground cracked where it came up and the thick dark root moved like lightning to scoop up the Element necklaces. Chrysalis moved out of the way while it did so and made no move to interfere or even make a face to seem interested.

Both of Twilight's guards hurried to her side to protect her against any possible attack, but the queen shook her head to discourage them. “Would you mind explaining yourself?” Twilight asked both in the hivemind and real world. She made a hoof motion along with it, mimicking the calming gesture Cadance had taught her.

The tree ceased the movement of its roots, the necklaces still clutched within while the crown remained on the ground. Spike carefully picked it up and brushed it off. Pinkie Pie was still ignoring the affair and had her tongue out in extreme focus as she worked to fix her changeling horn.

The Elements, you must understand, the tree harrumphed, are part of me. They channel my power, but do little more for any other than myself. When those vagrant alicorns took them from me, it hurt like no pain you could imagine.

I don't know about that, Twilight thought more to herself than to the tree. She stole a glance to Chrysalis, who was brushing her mane in boredom.

Belief shapes reality, the tree went on. When belief is not based on reality, it causes strife and chaos. The Vine tampered with that concept and wound up creating a monster. I tell you this because I'd rather you understand where your true power comes from. If you understand then you'll freely allow me to have my Elements back. Not that I need your permission. I just like to make my name as fitting as possible.

“Finally bein' a tad more reasonable, Tree of Harmony,” Applejack commented with a slanted line of her lips.

“How can we trust what you say?” Rarity questioned with more suspicion.

Because your queen trusts me. Correct, Twilight Sparkle?

The purple pony raised a brow. “That depends on your answer.”

To what?

Twilight sighed in exasperation. “To every question I've asked that hasn't gotten a straight answer.”

Spike huffed a cloud of smoke from his nostrils to emphasize his mother's point.

Very well, I will speak frankly, the plant relented. It seemed to do so a bit too easily, though.

Its grabby root flicked the necklaces into the air and each exploded into a unique shape just as they were about to fall back down. The shapes matched the basic forms of each pony's cutie mark. Before any of them could think to grab the newly-shaped jewel-like pieces, they raced to the tree as if by magical levitation. Each snapped into a space on the tree's branches.

Much better, the tree hummed in contentment. It continued doing that for a good minute before an “ahem” from Twilight encouraged it to move on. First of all, you don't need my Elements to protect Equestria. You each already embody the Elements of Friendship and Harmony. The power comes from within yourselves, not some piece of flashy jewelry. My Elements helped you only because they allowed you to use my power to supplement your own when your strength was still new and lacking.

Rainbow had gotten back off of the ground and was looking so excited that she might have even forgotten about being pushed around by the root. “So we can use the Rainbow of Doom whenever we want?!”

Applejack snickered and Fluttershy giggled.

Yes, yes, the tree's tone indicated its distaste. Just don't go using it too much. You'll go blind.

“Queen of War?” Twilight asked once more.

Your future is dark, Twilight. I do not see the future as my fellow foliage does, but I like to keep in touch with them. They've told me disturbing things about you. Only the Vine feels that it will be worthwhile to suffer your future actions – as destructive as they are. Equestria will never be the same after you ascend to the throne. It will split, towns will burn, and many will not see the sun rise again.

“How do you know the future?” Rainbow asked with a sneer. Her doubt was written into every micron of her body language.

How do you know the sun will rise tomorrow? It's elementary, the tree passed over the suspicion.

Spike walked around the tree while the others were conversing with it. His nostrils flared for a second when he noticed the slight scent of mildew. The cave was old and just damp enough to have assorted moss and mold growing on the walls. He saw nothing on the tree's other side, but he remained wary of the magical plant. Why was it called Harmony anyway?

You've got a lot of explaining to do, Twilight frowned, sat on her flank, and stared at the mysterious being. Where did you even come from? Was there some tree seed an ancient magician cast a spell on or something?

In the hivemind, it sounded as if the tree laughed. In the physical world, its leaves rustled about. It has been so long, excuse me. No creature has asked such a thing in eons. I'm afraid if I answered, however, all of you little ponies will see the world much differently than you presently do. It is unnecessary to tell, but I will say this much: I was indeed blessed by a being far beyond myself.

Twilight's continued frown displayed her displeasure at the response. She didn't press, though. There were other things that needed answering. “You like to keep your secrets,” she spoke aloud on a whim. “Celestia and Luna refer to you as an Origin – a powerful and ancient being of magic. You are partly responsible for the founding of Equestria. Without your Elements, our nation would never have survived infancy.”

“You are not the only one,” Rarity finished her queen's thought.

Do you wish to meet the Fern of Eccentricity? the tree's voice caused Twilight to visualize it grinning.

The pony queen rolled her eyes. “Actually,” she turned towards a more serious topic, “I was wondering if you knew anything about the Vine of Life. You mentioned it once already. What is it planning?”

Harmony's branches shuddered. That is asking for trouble.

“How so?” Spike half-frowned and leaned against the tree's trunk in a casual but still alert manner. The fire in his throat was kept hot.

Perhaps feeling the dragon's impatience through the contact, Harmony tried a different approach. Long talks do get boring. Here, let me show you.

Not the dragon, the changeling, or any of the ponies present expected what happened next. Twilight's crown flung from Spike's claws, snapped into the center slot on the tree as fast as lightning, and transformed into a star shape in the process. The cave around them warped and bended unnaturally. If Twilight hadn't already gone through such a thing with her hivemind world, she might have felt ill. Rarity's face did turn a tad green, though.

The dark cave walls waved into new shapes, but the texture and lighting changed little. When the portal-like effect around them ceased, they still appeared to be in some sort of cave. The soft soil had morphed into stone that matched the walls and ceiling. Meanwhile, no entrance was in sight. The cavern was deep and torchlights on the cavern walls failed to penetrate the blanket of darkness that hung over the tunnel that stretched on in two different directions.

Fluttershy was at Twilight's side in an instant, shaking from the unexpected change in her surroundings. A quick hivemind exchange with Rainbow Dash was enough for the blue mare to know Fluttershy was taking advantage of the situation as much as she was simply afraid of it. In retrospect, Rainbow had begun to realize that Fluttershy had often had convenient excuses to sidle up to Twilight in frightful situations (real or not).

Spike, who had been leaning on the tree, now fell flat onto his face. Where Harmony had been was now occupied only by a semi-transparent ghost of the tree. It pulsed with a magical light that got brighter when it spoke.

The inner tunnels of the Temple of the Vine, the tree explained. We're not really here, of course. To see a fake representation is enough. To truly bring you here would take too much strength. I have only just recovered my Elements and the Temple is millions of branches away.

“I fixed it!” Pinkie Pie shouted in absolute glee. She bounced in the air as her changeling horn fizzed with green sparkles. A magical bolt shot from the tip and raced towards Twilight's head.

The queen caught it in her forehoof without so much as looking in that direction. The bolt disintegrated as she absorbed its magical essence.

“Sorry,” Pinkie tapped her hooves sheepishly while Twilight continued to focus on the tree.

Chrysalis felt uneasy. If they were really going to see the Vine then her plans might be useless. If the Vine could give immortality then the only way to ensure Twilight's friends would have it would be to bargain with the Vine privately. Chrysalis was unsure about how Twilight would feel about it. She could simply query the queen over the hivemind but that would give away her intentions. If Twilight felt that bestowing immortality in this manner was unethical or a bad idea then Chrysalis might never get the chance to go past her queen's wishes.

The dilemma seethed in the changeling's mind even as Harmony's ghost hovered down the tunnel. It only moved a small distance before stopping in front of a deep crack in the ground. The chasm was completely black, so it was impossible to tell how deep it was. However, all that were present had the unnerving sensation that it was impossibly deep.

Humor me, old friend, Harmony beckoned into the darkness.

As if summoned through a dark ritual, creepy tendrils of sickly green slithered up from the chasm. The root-like appendages continued reaching up until they clung and draped over every half-hoof increment of the cavern immediately around the crack. A new voice spoke, similar but different than Harmony's. It was deeper and not at all comforting – like the tone of a deranged psychopath.

I don't take these kind of long-distance calls, it barked at Harmony. Only the leylines. And I told you I wanted to see them in their true bodies. No representations!

The cave around them warped again and Twilight did feel ill this time. It happened faster than before and the queen almost fell over when she felt the soil of Harmony's cave beneath her hooves once more. Chrysalis held her steady by lowering her head and nuzzling the alicorn back into an upright posture.

The light from the Everfree was once more at their backs and the familiar scent of the forest was comforting for the first time any of them could recall. Harmony's cave was bright, cheery, and friendly in comparison to the Vine's. They had only seen it for a moment, but the sensations would not soon be forgotten. There had been an odd smell, like cinnamon but slightly different. There had also been the faint sound of scurrying in the darkness, like a thousand spider legs. The very idea gave Rarity the shivers.

You'll have to excuse the weed, Harmony stuttered, as if to signal some indignation. It doesn't act that way about anything or anyone besides you. I think you've made it obsessive.

The question Twilight wanted to ask only seemed more pronounced now. “Why?!” she shouted out louder than she intended. The lack of knowing, in spite of her ever-growing hivemind, made her increasingly irritated. “What is it and why does it care about me so much?”

The Vine is like me, Harmony answered, though it had no cheer in its voice. It controls the essence of Life, thus many seek it out for immortality. It grants it only to those it wishes – for whatever purpose it deems worthwhile. The Vine has been my friend for millenia, but it does not always confide in me. Its plans for you I can only guess at based on my experiences and knowledge.

“And?” Chrysalis decided to encourage the tree. If she knew more about it then it might be easier to bargain with the Vine later on.

Harmony groaned. That is why I said what I did in the beginning, Twilight. There is Harmony and there is Discord. There is Life...

“And there's Death,” Applejack finished with an air of gloom. “Doesn't sit well. Not sure we want to go lookin' after some super-powerful ancient bein' who's special talent's the grave.”

“No biggy!” Pinkie Pie smiled without a care in the world. “All we have to do is make Twilight Queen of Equestria, unite the world, and defeat Death. Easy-peasy can-get-it-done-in-a-squeezy.”

“Yeah,” Spike rolled his eyes. His voice dripped with sarcasm. “And we'll finish in time for dinner, I'm sure.”

Something seemed to click in Rarity's eyes. It moved on to the others through the hivemind, but the fashionista was still first to speak. “The Vine granted Twilight immortality at Celestia's request. It could do the same for any others.”

There was more she was going to say but her words stopped short as she met Spike's gaze. The dragon then looked to Twilight, who already knew what the thought was. The desire burned in Spike's eyes with the intensity only a dragon could experience. It was the greed Luna had spoken of – a greed that was more than senseless hording. He wanted Rarity to be safe and happy and would do anything to ensure it. It didn't take the hivemind for Twilight to know that.

Twilight's mind began to hurt with the pressure. Was it right for her to agree to that? Rarity could become immortal but then what of her other friends? What of Rarity's family? Would Twilight then be responsible for who got to live forever and who died of old age? What would the Vine think? It hadn't sounded like a very friendly magical being...

Chrysalis felt her queen sigh rather than heard it from the pony's mouth. She decided to speak on her queen's behalf since doing so through their connection was second nature. “Thank you for your time, Harmony,” Chrysalis buzzed in her usual voice. “Twilight needs time to think all of this over.”

Of course, the tree replied in a distracted manner. It might have been doing some thinking itself, though none of them were privy to it.

The group left with a round of farewells. Twilight would come back with questions, no doubt. But careful consideration had to be made. Certain decisions didn't require any more information – only time for reflection. Chrysalis saw the troubled look on the faces of the others. Even Pinkie Pie was worried. Thoughts of her sisters growing old as she remained the same sucked her of her gleeful bounce.

Was immortality a choice between life and death? Or was it a choice between one life and another? One thing was for certain. The serious questions had dampened their hive's mood.

Twilight struggled to sleep that night. In her sleeping ring, she tossed and turned. The others lay around her in the dark, illuminated only faintly by the soft comforting green glow of the ring's edge. It did not help calm her, though. Not after the visit to the Tree of Harmony. Not after hearing those words.

“It'll be okay,” Fluttershy whispered into her ear. The mare was nestled beside her and rubbed her back to try calming her. In the hivemind, her comforting voice continued to attempt soothing the queen.

Some of the others had fallen asleep, but a few remained awake with their monarch. Rainbow Dash was curled below Twilight's tail and rear hooves while snoring the night away. Chrysalis and Applejack were the only other ones awake at the moment. It made sense for the changeling not to slumber with her queen awake. The dark being was obsessed with Twilight nearly to the point of madness, after all. Applejack's resilience was less obvious, though the hivemind easily revealed it.

“Listen to what ol' bugface has been tellin' you,” AJ whispered without the faintest hint of subtlety. “There's no way that darned tree knows nothin' about the future. If it did, then it'd have the foresight not to get its Elements torn off its own branches.”

Twilight was too tired to do anything but minutely nod in response. She only wanted the sleep that continued to evade her. Fluttershy's calm warmth at her back and Chrysalis' enveloping warmth at her front were more than enough comfort. In fact, Chrysalis was tightly embracing her so that their bodies were flush, the changeling's larger frame nearly surrounding her. Still, her mind remained too active. She couldn't fall into her own hivemind's dream world.

Chrysalis had reasoned earlier that the tree's words about war were absurd. The shape-shifter's points were irrefutable. The tree was thousands of years old and supposedly the master of the magic of Harmony. Yet that same master had done little to actually cause harmony throughout the world. It was only by Celestia and Luna's efforts with the Elements that Harmony had been a force to begin with.

The reasoning and favorable arguments didn't help, though. The only thing that mattered to Twilight was the sense of darkness she had begun to feel after hearing the Tree of Harmony's predictions. An inner gloom settled around her, forcing her to grip Chrysalis and nuzzle against her chest in a desperate grab for the comfort Chrysalis offered her. Twilight's voice was soft but determined in the hivemind for those that were still awake.

Don't leave me.

“Now why in Equestria would you go thinkin' we ever would?” Applejack whispered the obvious question.

Twilight's next words were whispered in kind. “With you by my side, I know I can face the future no matter what it holds. But alone...”

“Shh,” Chrysalis calmed her sweetly and joined Fluttershy in rubbing the mare's back. “There will never be a moment in your life that you will not have one of us with you. At the very least, I will try to be the one that never leaves your sight, my queen.”

To any other “normal” pony, such words might have been discomforting or even creepy. To Twilight Sparkle, queen of a pony hive, the words were reassuring. She wasn't certain when it happened but she eventually fell asleep. It was some time after Fluttershy had given her an almost imperceptible goodnight kiss on the back of her neck.

Why did you have me do that? the Vine of Life asked Harmony via the world's magical leyline.

I thought you were supposed to be the scheming one, the tree snickered in response.

The Vine made what it believed to be the sound of a groan. Sometimes. Ultimately, Twilight will be the one to end my feud with Death. I'm sure of it now. But I still want to know why you wanted me to play the drama queen.

The tree shifted its leaves, though it knew the Vine was not there to see the gesture. If she was convinced you were friendly then she might not feel the need to include her entire entourage when she enters the temple. Can't have that. We need her hive in its entirety.

As if she'll have them with her. Did you forget about her little shadow? I knew he was there and I wasn't even trying.

Harmony's roots squirmed. I was trying to ignore him. Gives me the creeps, you know.

Lucky you, the Vine grouched. You won't have to deal with him, but I will.

Are you afraid of him or what he will do to Twilight?

Neither, the Vine retorted. Death is my only match. Twilight I can heal, her shadow I can smite. Death, however, can end all I've slaved for over these many eons.

The Origin of Harmony considered its friend's position. The Vine's adversary was much more of a threat than Discord had ever been to Harmony. I should let the shadow do as he wills then? He's cunning. I'm not sure even Twilight's newfound power will be enough. If he-

Don't be so hysterical, the Vine interrupted with an air of confidence. He is as cunning as you say. That is precisely why he will do exactly what I want him to. He will take her to me. The hive he will dangle just out of reach so neither her nor they will give up before the proper time has come. That's how he works. I used to watch him often, you know. Used to think he was the one. That's why I made that bogus prophecy to spur him on with the Crystal Empire.

Your prophecy is about to come true, Harmony countered. The one about the princess and the eternal kingdom.

That is how the universe works, dear Harmony, the Vine chuckled. Fantasies are only reality before it happens.

This day was not brighter than the last. Perhaps that was because of Twilight's depressed mood. A difficult night had passed and her hive's assurances had failed to convince her to ignore the old plant's words. The clouds were light and puffy today, which was a good omen that would overcome the previous gloom. At least that was what Rainbow informed her queen.

“Ahh,” Twilight breathed out a wobbly sigh as she walked out the front door of her library.

She had donned her queenly attire once more. It wasn't for looking royal that she did so, but because she honestly liked the decorative pieces. Chrysalis had also been working to integrate special changeling magical constructs within them to boost her powers. Whether or not it was possible to extend their already considerable power had yet to be seen.

“Cheer up, Twi,” Applejack nudged her queen to lighten her mood. “Got a lovely day in Ponyville to relax with. I can spare a moment with you before hittin' the farm.”

Applejack had only slept with them the previous night because Chrysalis hadn't the time or energy the previous day to complete and connect a sleeping ring over at Sweet Apple Acres. The country mare wasn't used to the guards that accompanied Twilight everywhere, so the whole experience had been odd for her. She tried tapping into the hivemind for comfort.

“C'mon, Twi-Twi,” Pinkie Pie hopped in front of her queen and stretched the mare's lips. “Gimme a big happy smile!”

When Pinkie Pie's hooves let go of Twilight's lips, the smile fell back into a half-frown. The sad look caused Pinkie's own smile to fade. She could feel the emotions through the hivemind and none of her attempts there were working.

“Sorry, Pinkie,” Twilight sighed again in apology. They were walking through the market now, all kinds of fresh produce and smiling faces attempting to sell it. “If I knew why I was feeling this way then I'd find a solution.”

“It's more than the tree, isn't it?” Rainbow Dash ventured a safe guess from her flying position above her queen.

“Yes,” Twilight made a third sigh. Her cloudy mood hovered over her like a wet blanket.

Thankfully, Chrysalis had just the right medicine. She stepped closer to Twilight's side opposite of Applejack and kissed her queen on the cheek. Twilight stopped cold and the others giggled as they too stopped.

“A little love is all our queen needs,” Chrysalis grinned in a mischievous manner. She stroked Twilight's mane with a holey forehoof.

Perhaps she was just being moody today, but Twilight felt a little better somehow. Perhaps the day's sunlight would get brighter. Or, at the very least, she could spend the day relaxing with those she loved.

PreviousChapters Next