• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,659 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,659

PreviousChapters Next
4 - Pink is Preferable



Poor Pinkie Pie. She was totally unaware of the blaze of panic that was about to befall her. Which was unusual considering her ability to regularly know everything that was going on throughout all of Equestria. Instead she was busy doing something nopony would have expected of her. She was staring at some blueberry cupcakes and was doing so not with her usual expression of exuberant enthusiasm. She looked at them sadly as if she expected them to give her something. Something...

BAM!

The door to sugar cube corner flew open to reveal a wide-eyed and panting Princess Twilight Sparkle. She recognized the pink pony at the counter and was about to burst into a run-together string of questions when the pink pony spoke instead.

“Hankering for some tasty delectables, Twilight?” she asked, succeeding in losing the downwards facial expression and less-than-usually-cheerful tone. The alicorn didn't know what she had been thinking. In fact, Twilight didn't even hear what the Earth pony had just said.

“Pinkie Pie!” she exclaimed in fear. The possibility of a Pinkie-powered problem manifesting due to changeling mischief was not entirely pleasant. “Did Chrysalis come here and do anything?! Make anything?!“

Pinkie's head tilted a full and impossible ninety degrees before snapping back upright. She beamed a brilliant smile that she did practically all the time. “Nope!” she replied simply but cheerfully.

At that, the princess fell to the floor in exhaustion. She had forgotten her calming exercises and had panicked. Not a very good thing to be doing since she was a princess now, she remembered. Greater care would be required for future incidents possible or real.

Seeing her friend laying on the floor of Sugar Cube Corner tired and still faintly panting, Pinkie Pie felt that it was her sworn obligation to do something about it. Put a smile on her face. That sort of thing. “But while you're here, why not try one of these delicious blueberry cupcakes? Made them myself not fourteen Pinkie minutes ago!”

Twilight questioned at first how a Pinkie minute differed from a normal one before rolling her eyes at her own attempt at logic. It was foolhardy to reason anything Pinkie. “I...think I'll pass,” she breathed out as she stood back up with some renewed strength. She registered her two guards out of the corner of her eye, noting that they had taken positions on either side of the entrance. Neither said anything but instead had those emotionless looks plastered to their faces.

“You sure?” the pink pony drew out the word with long and heavy emphasis. “They're really really good...”

“I don't have the time, Pinkie. I have to find out-” Twilight tried to reply only to have a blueberry cupcake stuffed into her mouth. Pinkie Pie had inserted it after disappearing from behind the counter and reappearing out of a flower vase that the princess hadn't realized she was standing near. Her attempts to speak only made her munch on the cupcake instead. To Pinkie's benefit, it really was a rather good treat.

“No time for a free cupcake?! You must be crazy!” the party pony chuckled, gasped, and then rolled her eyes in circles to mimic a crazy pony. If she had this much energy to begin with, Twilight shuddered twice again to think what she would be like with any sort of boost. “It seems something is really bugging you, Twilight,” Pinkie commented with casual observation. “A cupcake solves all but the worstest of problems so you must have,” she gasped for dramatic effect, “a real doozy of a downy!”

“Actually,” Twilight tried to say but ended up mumbling nonsense and crumbs through the half-eaten cupcake.

“No, no, no!” the party animal disappeared again and reappeared behind one of Twilight's guards. His eyes widened in shock but, to his credit, he didn't move a muscle. Pinkie was now standing up on her hind legs and wore a black vest that had the words “Rock N' Roll” and a picture of a suspiciously familiar boulder on it. The alicorn tried not to wonder where all of this stuff came from. It probably involved alternate dimensions and time paradoxes. “I have determined the source of your problems!”

It pained Twilight to say it but she had to. “And what would that be?” she asked, swallowing the last of the non-surprisingly tasty cupcake. Her voice was dripping of the notion that Pinkie Pie had not in fact determined the issue.

“Skies! Birds! Airplanes!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed with flailing arms. She then proceeded to make some odd screeching sound while motioning her hooves going rapidly down until suddenly blasting away from each other with explosive sound effects.

Twilight didn't get that last word or really what the pony was going on about in the first place. More importantly, she didn't have time to waste with Chrysalis having done something in the world at large without her knowledge. The purple alicorn shook her head and began to trot out of the sweets shop. “Pinkie, I've got to be going. Something important might be at stake and I've got to find out what it is,” she said.

“Exactadactly!” the Earth pony whirled in front of her and used another Pinkie word that Twilight was uncertain whether she had heard before or not. It was hard to keep track of them all. “Which is why we've got to race like rainbows to Rainbow's! Quick! There's no time to explain!”

And with that exact lack of explanation, Pinkie Pie scooped Twilight up into her forehooves as if she were a groom carrying the bride after the wedding. But the purple pony had no time to react because as soon as she was in pink hooves, the world blurred around her. Pinkie was once again using her impossible speed to go...somewhere. The shop was gone, Ponyville was gone, and they were both in a open and grassy field with a strange looking contraption sitting in the fine greenery.

When Twilight looked up to Pinkie's face, she found the pony wearing a pair of aviator's goggles and a matching flight jacket to boot. Never in her entire life in Ponyville had she ever expected to actually get neck deep in Pinkie's personal world of normally self-contained random. Of all the ponies, Pinkie Pie was the one that tended to tax her level-headedness the most. Thus the princess lifted a forehoof that had become curled against her body in her current position and used it to stretch and breathe. Calm.

With a sparkle in her eye, the Earth pony looked down and locked eyes with the alicorn still in her hooves. She spoke in a deep voice that was obviously trying to be some male action hero but also obviously drenched in overacting. “Don't worry, princess,” she huffed. “I'll see ya' right before the sun sets or my name ain't Pinkamena Diane Pie!”

Twilight just smacked her hoof to her face. The calming exercise was over. This was it. Her entire day was now going to be officially wasted.

As if trying to extract every last bit of possible theatrical cheese out of the situation, Pinkie Pie slowly made her way step by step to the contraption that couldn't have been more than ten hooves away from them. The pink pony even made little grunts as she made each step, acting as if she were direly wounded and was spending the last of her life to get her friend to the flight machine. Yes, that was what it was now that Twilight thought about it. It looked a bit different from the crazy bicycle like machine that Pinkie had made as a means of flight alternate to the hot air balloon, but it was close enough in appearance to safely make the guess. The Element of Laughter was still grunting, panting, making her way to the machine, and now adding a faked limp to her gait.

“Pinkie,” the alicorn breathed in exasperation.

“Milady,” the pink pony gasped for breath.

“Just...nevermind,” the princess gave up entirely and resolved to just get carried along.

Somehow, they finally reached the flight machine and Pinkie Pie labored with forced and faked pain to get Twilight into the passenger seat. After the pony was secure, she walked merrily and even skipped to the other side to get into the pilot's seat.

Twilight didn't ask why the limp was gone or why her friend no longer painted a look of pain and desperation. Pinkie had probably just forgotten the whole thing as quickly as she had started it. Not that she was an airhead or anything. No, not at all.

“Where are we going?” the princess asked without any expectation of a plausible answer.

Pinkie had just bounced effortlessly into her seat and positioned her hooves on the gear pedals. “Anywhere the sun shines and the wind tickles,” she answered with bubbly glee. And then her hooves moved. But it wasn't just her hooves. Gears started moving in turn and Twilight realized with amazement exactly how many gears there were. The contraption was incredibly complex and, though she never doubted Pinkie's ability to build something out of seemingly nothing, she felt a renewed awe towards her friend.

It was an off-hoof remark-turned-question that started it all. “Any reason you built a two-seater?” the purple princess wondered as the machine lifted them into the air. “Must have been hard to get it to fly with only one set of pedals and only one pony pedaling.”

The Earth pony wore her usual double-wide grin and answered with an answer far longer than necessary. “Oh! At first I was thinking that it would be great to have some way to zoom around because hot air is such a slow and hardy hard way to go all high and pegasi and I thought it was great when I was all zoom! But then Rainbow was all kaboom and I was still like whir! And then I thought it would be nice to have a fly without another bye because that's just too down, you know? And then I was all like tada! Light bulbs and floss! Lots of floss. The shopkeeper won't trade anything if it's not for floss! So I got it and then boom! Fire! There I was, eye-to-eye with it. Every stroke of my hammer only seemed to encourage him. And then it was chiseling away. I used the furnace for a few days and kuvahed some jimjay. It was amazing but only until it cooled off and I latched the extra. But it was worth it because now here we are!”

Twilight blinked and then blinked again. She understood, at best, about a quarter of whatever it was that Pinkie's nonsensical ramble had been. She understood none of those odd words that the pony had used but tried her luck at a response anyways, having no clue if she had guessed Pinkie's meaning correctly. She also had nothing else to do as the wind swept past her, ruffling her coat and the feathers of her wings, so accuracy was a null point. “You wanted to fly with somepony else who didn't have wings?”

“That's what I've been telling you,” Pinkie replied lightly.

“In as many words?” Twilight joked.

The Element of Laughter stopped peddling and looked her friend in the eye. Twilight tried desperately not to consider why the propeller hadn't stopped along with the peddling. “Twilight,” the Earth pony took on a sophisticated tone that indicated a lecture. “Sometimes you've got to let go before you can grab on.”

The alicorn paused before replying simply. “Huh?”

At once, Pinkie was again peering forward through her goggles and into the wind. She peddled again, faster this time. “Almost there!” she shouted as her tongue slipped out of her mouth in show of extreme concentration. The machine started taking them faster through the air, the ground gradually getting farther below. The trees got smaller and smaller until they were lost to sight by the clouds that the machine popped through. The ground was no longer visible and all the princess saw was a blanket of clouds for a solid while.

“Where is 'there' again?” Twilight finally raised a brow in question.

Her answer came in the form of a cloud or, more specifically, a cloud home that they started descending to. It was closer to the ground then the clouds they had been among and so they left the blanket of white and the trees and grassy hills came back into view. It was Rainbow Dash's place, which told Twilight they were not in some distant part of the world but in Ponyville. “Rainbow's?” she tried to ask the Earth pony in the seat next to her. Why had they taken such a roundabout way of getting here, the alicorn wondered.

Her question probably fell on deaf ears because Pinkie had a hard look of determination on her face. Her eyes were tracking something and when Twilight followed their gaze she was surprised by a sudden flash and blur of color.

The blur materialized to a very familiar pegasus and Element of Harmony flapping right before them. “Room for two now, huh?” the blue pony chuckled.

“Ha!” Pinkie Pie laughed in return. “It's not like I couldn't keep up, Dashie. I just like a stroll now and then, that's all.”

Twilight Sparkle felt very much like she had missed something important that had happened between her two friends. Perhaps that was just an inevitability of life.

“Well, Twilight doesn't need your thingamajig. She's got wings now!” Rainbow Dash countered proudly. She was still riddled with excitement about her new possible flying buddy.

The princess saw her chance to speak and took it. “I'm not that good a flier though. I still need practice.”

“Which you'll get from the best!” Rainbow followed up enthusiastically. “Benefits for royalty. Nopony else gets special training from the one and only, I'll have you know.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at Dash's regular walk of ego but took notice of Pinkie Pie having said nothing. She always said something even if there was not supposed to be anything to say. “Pinkie Pie?”

The pony smiled, never faltering in cheer. “I'll say goodbye for now, Twilight. Got to get back to Sugar Cube Corner, but I'm pretty sure this is what had you so worried. My pink-tuition told me!” she beamed, not pausing even though she obviously just made something up.

“Oh?” Rainbow butted in and then looked her purple friend in the eye. “Worried you won't do well? Never fear, your-”

“I'm not getting out of this seat. Do you know how high up we are?” the alicorn stuttered in fear when she made the mistake of taking a glance down. Suddenly, she wasn't so comfortable anymore. The distance might not have been as high as the clouds from before but she hadn't been flying on her own then and she certainly had never flown solo at the current altitude.

“You'll be fine! I'll even hold you a bit,” the blue pegasus dismissed the concerns, grabbed the alicorn under the forelegs, and pulled her from her seat.

Twilight panicked at first but trusted her friend enough not to fear immediate death. She saved Rarity that one time, right?

“Bye, Bees,” Pinkie Pie waved and then pumped the pedals with her hooves with such force that the flying machine zipped away at lightspeed.

Rainbow shook her head in dismissal. She knew as Twilight did not to take the pink one too seriously. It just lead to headaches, frustration, and a baker's dozen of cupcakes. Instead, the blue pegasus looked Twilight in the eye again. Her face was not far since the alicorn was being held. Rainbow Dash could even feel her friend shaking a bit in her hooves.

“You've really gotten stronger, Rainbow,” the princess remarked nervously. “You didn't use to be able to hold me mid-air without help.”

The pegasus smirked. “Well, duh. Wonderbolt training is pretty intense and I do my own workouts on top of that. You're in the hooves of one pretty powerful pegasus.”

“But I'm sure even you couldn't keeping holding me forever like this,” Twilight commented. “Perhaps you should take us down a bit and...put me on the ground?”

That made the pegasus smirk even more and give a laugh. “Nice try, princess. But you're here to fly, not to chicken out on the ground.”

“You sure you're not having any trouble holding me and flying at the same time?” Twilight asked desperately, back in her primitive form of scientific inquiry.

“I'm Wonderbolt material, Twi. Not some weak foal in junior flight camp. And it helps that you weigh about as much as a pea.”

The princess giggled at that. “Guess I underestimated you a bit.”

“Seriously though,” Dash cocked a brow in suspicion. “You're really light. Do you even eat?”

“Of course I do! In fact, I've been calculating my dietary habits as well as my abnormalities and have found certain categories of consumption to be beyond preferable specification,” Twilight countered confidently.

When she first met Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash never would have understood what the mare had just said. But she had known the purple pony long enough now to understand a sufficient amount of the excessive language. “Snack junkie?” Rainbow kidded.

Twilight just huffed and puffed a cheek in indignation.

“Well you're getting a chance to put on some weight in muscle today. Time to get those wings into shape,” the pegasus encouraged her friend. “I want you to know first though that whenever I let you go, I'm always ready to catch you if something goes wrong. You'll even get a free sonic rainboom if I have to save your life,” she joked with a laugh.

“I'd prefer not to see one today if that's the case,” Twilight gulped. Still, she found the way Rainbow had said that she was ready to save her to be a bit odd. She hadn't said it with her usually arrogant tone. It was more careful...more gentle. No, that must have been her imagination. Rainbow Dash was anything but gentle. That was Fluttershy's specialty.

“Yeah,” the blue pony replied in a drawn out voice. “I don't really want to have to save your flank any more than I already have. It'll just make things embarrassing.”

There it was again. Rainbow Dash's pinch of quite possibly self-conceited ego. “It's not as if I can't fly, Rainbow. I just have a lot to learn, that's all. And don't you have things to do today?” the princess decided to coolly question in response.

“If it's important then I've already done it,” Rainbow grinned as a matter of pride. “If it's not important then I'd rather spend my time flying with you. It's been forever since I've had a good flying buddy.”

“Well, that's-” the alicorn started to say before she suddenly felt Rainbow's hooves slip from holding her. She started to plummet and it took a full second before she started screaming. The rush of air was frightening and the way the ground rapidly approached made it seem to grasp for her very life. But she stopped again mid-air and still a decent distance from the grass below.

“That's good,” Rainbow Dash commented, this time from her back. Twilight was being held by the pegasus from behind and again under the forehooves.

“What's good?!” Twilight just about screamed again, her heart still racing. She tilted her head back but was unable to see the pony straight behind her. “You dropped me and I almost hit the ground!”

“Oh, pfft,” the pegasus dismissed it. “You might want to check your depth perception, Twi, because we're still pretty high up. And besides, what did I tell you about catching your flank?”

The princess was not convinced. She was far from convinced. “What was that for anyways?!”

“You don't need to shout, princess. I'm right behind you,” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I was checking your gut reaction. Your wings started to unfold, which is a good sign. They just didn't move like they needed to for you to get out of the dive. So we start with lesson three in Instructor Rainbow Dash's The Art of Flight and Advanced Aerial Maneuvers.”

The alicorn's anger was suddenly washed out with a raised brow. “Seriously?”

“I figured a book with one of your egghead titles would be straight up your alley so we'll take this one flap and chapter at a time,” the pegasus beamed with casual pride. “But first we need to get more altitude. It's pretty sweet you can walk on clouds now without any spells because we're going to be using them a lot.”

“Oh...yeah,” Twilight slowly replied, heavy in thought. Rainbow Dash seemed to have put a lot of thought into this whole affair. It was almost like she had changed somehow. That, in turn, made the princess begin to wonder if Fluttershy's lack of extensive flying had indirectly hidden some part of Rainbow Dash. A part that Twilight would come to know now. So did her acquisition of wings change her friends more than it did her...?

Rainbow was flapping her wings harder to carry the both of them up, Twilight being little more than dead weight. “Light as a feather,” the pegasus commented as she took them up to a nearby cloud. “Soft as a cloud,” she commented again, taking notice of how the other's wing feathers and coat felt against her forehooves.

“What?” Twilight asked, not sure if she should be curious at the meaning or just assume and be embarrassed.

They reached a sufficiently large cloud and Rainbow Dash practically threw herself and her friend onto it. It was so soft that it was almost bouncy. Twilight hadn't really felt the sensation of laying on a cloud before. At least not as fully as she did now as an alicorn. “It is soft,” she remarked to nopony in particular.

“I wasn't talking about the clouds, egghead,” Rainbow snickered as she rolled over to where the the princess was nestled in the white fluff. She seemed to be using the egghead card on purpose. “I was talking about you,” she emphasized as she reached out and tickled the spot under the alicorn's wings.

Twilight flinched but started giggling and tossing about. “Stop!” she quickly blurted only to unintentionally encourage Rainbow to continue until she was out of breath.

“You're really ticklish, you know that?” the pegasus grinned as she laid there on her side.

Twilight had to calm down first and breath again. When she had, she looked bitterly to her merciless friend. “And what was that for?”

Rainbow didn't even look like she needed to give it a single thought. No remorse for her actions. “Lesson Three: Stay Loose. You're not going to learn anything if you're so nervous that your wings lock up. Fluttershy gets that all the time,” she rolled her eyes at the absent pegasus.

“And I wonder why I was nervous, miss drop-a-pony,” Twilight glared playfully.

“Hey,” the pesgaus threw her hooves up, “the best love is tough love, right?”

The princess held the glare until they both started giggling at the whole matter. “I guess I really do need to relax,” Twilight conceded. “But I'm not sure your method is the best way to go about it. And I've got a lot of things I have to do today, sans whatever Pinkie Pie thinks. I don't even know where my guards are. They're probably running all over town trying to find me.”

“Your guards?” Rainbow Dash raised a brow. Was her friend some royal treasure now that she needed guarding?

“Yes. I don't remember if Celestia mentioned it or not at the coronation. I've got a guard now. Well, more than one. I feel bad because they have to follow me around everywhere and I never realized until today how much travel I actually do.”

“Yeah, I'd say you've put on some leg muscles since the Running of the Leaves,” the pegasus returned a lop-sided expression. “Didn't use to run around so much in Canterlot, huh?”

“Sometimes, but definitely not as much,” Twilight sighed. “I really should try and find them,” she continued as she carefully crawled to the edge of the cloud and did what she didn't really want to do. She looked down. The height was intense but she was glad she looked because she could see much of the town and countryside. In particular, she found her guards after a bit of scanning. It seemed they were both taking up positions straight below and under Rainbow's house. How did they know she was here?

“Pretty easy to spot who you're looking for, isn't it?” Rainbow Dash remarked by Twilight's side. The alicorn flinched minutely, not having known the pegasus had come up next to her. She worried at the prospect that she might have been startled straight off the edge of the cloud.

“Yes,” the purple mare said as she backed away from the edge.

Rainbow, on the other hoof, carelessly jumped backwards into the center of the cloud. “It's pretty awesome. Only have trouble finding somepony if they don't want to be seen...or if it's Pinkie Pie. She's hard to spot when she's beating the clock somewhere.”

“I've experienced as much,” Twilight remembered what happened earlier.

“Well, anyways. Lesson four,” the pegasus beamed. She seemed to be in a pretty good mood up until now. So much so it made Twilight suspicious all over again. Pinkie Pie was always exuberant, but Rainbow's mood was typically dependent on whether things were going her way. Did she think things had been going well so far? Twilight didn't particularly think so.

“And which one is that?” the princess asked the obvious.

The Element of Loyalty bounced from her position on the cloud and landed unceremoniously on Twilight's back. The alicorn widened her eyes in surprise and Rainbow took her chance to grab the wings as they began to unfurl in reaction. She stretched them out straight and exclaimed in excitement, “Gliding.”

When Twilight recovered from the shock and looked back with narrow eyes at her friend still sprawled on her back with a slight hover, she asked another question. “Why is gliding next? That doesn't make much-”

“And that's why I'm the instructor and you're just my little princess leaner,” Rainbow patted the purple pony on the head.

Somehow, that just burned the mare up on the inside. “Get off!” she tried to buck the pegasus from her back.

“Nope!” Rainbow started laughing as she held on for dear life. “I can't have you gliding off without me. You don't,” she paused momentarily as she focused effort on holding on, “want to fall without me there to save you, right?”

“You can,” Twilight also paused as she tried and failed to remove her clutching friend, “just glide next to me for Pete's sake!”

“Why in all of Equestria would I fly frustratingly slow next to some newbie knowing that I can't do anything even remotely interesting because I'd risk not catching you in time?” the Element of Loyalty casually declared as Twilight's hooves gave out from beneath her and the two of them fell into the white fluff again.

Twilight opened her mouth but realized she didn't have anything to say on the matter so she just blew a whiff of cloud from in front of her face.

“Exactly,” Rainbow grinned at the fact that she was once again on top of things and, this time, literally above her friend. “You need instruction and guidance. I need something fun to do. I don't see why you can't glide along with me on your back. It's not like I'm putting any weight on you.”

“How does hovering over my shoulder equal fun?” Twilight deadpanned.

“Because I say it does, princess,” Rainbow dismissed the issue. “I don't tell you what books to read, do I? And it'll be a snap to help you along if I'm so close. I think the real question here is why you don't want me over your shoulder.”

Twilight didn't want to answer that one. How could she admit that she didn't want to feel like some young filly again, not knowing what to do while having some instructor hovering over her. It would be like...magic kindergarten.

“Now come on,” Rainbow interrupted the dark thought. “We've got stuff to do!”

The princess knew that better than anypony. She had passed from one set of hooves to another and her schedule was no better for it. She wanted to figure out what Chrysalis had been up to but she had to admit to herself that she had no real leads. The changeling would be willing to simply tell her anyways when she woke up. Twilight gave one last sigh into the cloud. “Why do I get the feeling I would have been safer with Pinkie Pie?”

Rainbow Dash grinned with characteristic confidence. “It's just you're imagination, kid.”

PreviousChapters Next