• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,590 Views, 1,216 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,216
 20,590

PreviousChapters Next
38 - Complexity is Exponential



Applejack's mind felt like that tree in the center of the north field at Sweet Apple Acres. It was the most stubborn of the trees in that part of the orchard, which meant she had to buck it longer and harder than most to get the apples off of it. After the rough rodeo she had just survived upon linking with Twilight's hivemind, she almost wished she was back home bucking that darned tree again.

Twilight had surprised Applejack by showing her a world beyond their world. It was a place where they had bodies in a mental space. The queen tried explaining it at first, but AJ waved her off as quick as a whip. Even after they had touched foreheads, the Earth pony still didn't bother comprehending the raw knowledge she now had access to through the queen.

This linking attempt was indeed far safer than the last connection. On the other hoof, something unexpected still happened. A theory had long ago been formed in Twilight's mind regarding the synchronized magical properties possible through a hivemind chain of the Elements of Harmony. The innate properties of hive magic, as exposed to her through Chrysalis' connection, made it apparent that the Element magic might be able to shift in flow. That shift, flowing through a web structure rather than point-to-point, might result in an exponential increase in the magical charge.

Applejack didn't care about this. Thus what happened when the link was complete was, at least to the farmer, incredibly fun. Both her eyes and Twilight's opened at the same time, simultaneously returning them to the real world upon the bed in the hotel room. A solid white light was emanating once more from the queen's eyes, but the same was coming from Applejack's.

“Yeehaw!” the orange mare shouted in a rush. She couldn't help bouncing off the bed, eyes beaming with light, and green lightning dancing from all four of her hooves.

The four white maids gasped in fright and backed away to a corner of the room. Lightning wasn't just coming from Applejack. It was emanating from Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Chrysalis, and Spike. Their eyes were all glowing white as well.

The flashes of light were in stark contrast to the rich colors of the high-class decoration of the hotel room. The deep red carpet and dark wood walls spoke of refinement and subtlety. The golden linings and indirect-lighting of the ceiling lamps added to this. All of the careful designing was lost on the occupants that were largely from Ponyville, save Rarity. The white unicorn wasn't currently interested in the decor, however.

“Oh my!” Rarity worried, not moving for the fear that the lightning might somehow ruin her mane.

“Yipee!” Pinkie Pie bounced up much as Applejack had, only with more height.

“Everypony stay calm,” Twilight ordered in a tone she hoped was as calm as she wanted them to be. “This is just a loose variable in our hivemind's magic buffer.”

Indeed, the lightning was not massive or out of control as it had been in the recent incident. For the most part, the green electricity bouncing around them was more akin to sparks and miniature arcs. Hardly destructive-grade.

I never realized how hard you worked, Rainbow Dash addressed Applejack directly through their new active link. I mean, I always knew you worked hard. Just not that much. Not to mention taking care of Applebloom. Geez.

Outwardly, AJ gave her signature chuckle. You get used to the load after a while, she answered. Don't even realize it's a lot to do. I'd sooner be praisin' Shy. Work's one thing, but I couldn't bear handlin' those blasted critter tantrums.

They do get moody every now and then, Fluttershy practically giggled from her spot on one of the room's other beds. Her eyes were shining like the others and her mane was half levitating from the green electrical charge.

“AJ,” Twilight called out. The queen was still calmly seated on the bed, but she was furrowing her brows in concentration. “I'm trying to channel our Hive Power, but a surge is coming your way. Try to hold it until I can bring it in.”

“Great granny's ghost!” Applejack exclaimed as she felt precisely what Twilight had explained.

Her right forehoof suddenly crackled with stronger electricity, making her hold it up in reflex. Bolts turned inwards to form a spherical pattern with a most peculiar color distortion. The center was turning black instead of green and small purple sparkles drifted off of it in a mist. Applejack's vision lost itself in the depth of the mysterious orb.

“Ooo,” Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared beside the orange mare. She too was mesmerized by the growing power.

Then it was gone in a thunderous snap of sound.

“Huh? What?” AJ blinked.

“Got it,” Twilight stated with a degree of satisfaction. Small green bolts continued to snap around and between the members of the hive, however. Their eyes hadn't lost the white light.

“How long will this last?” Rarity asked with pursed lips. She simply couldn't go outside as she was, nevermind if she actually planned on going anywhere. Because Twilight was focusing their hivemind on rectifying the current issue, Rarity wasn't able to glean the information off of the queen through their passive connection.

Spike climbed up onto Rarity's bed and placed a claw on her forehoof. Unlike before, his new body size meant that his claw was now closely proportional to her hoof. He smiled when she placed her other forelimb over his. Both his eyes and Rarity's dimmed by half so that they could see each other's irises through the white haze.

Interesting, Chrysalis narrowed her eyes at Spike, watching him from another bed.

I have powers too, you know, the dragon smiled, showing the points of his teeth. Even if I still have to discover and master most of them.

Thank you, Spike, Twilight broke into the train of thought. She integrated the magic dragon's power control into her own methods. The other members of the hive now had decreased overflow. The lightning and “eyelights” continued to lessen.

“What caused this?” Soir Soleil dared to ask, trying to keep her voice steady and free of fear.

“The Elements of Harmony are connected to us,” Twilight explained aloud for her maids. “We have a magical tie to them that is acting up in response to Applejack's connection. I would have been able to handle it if it had been like the other connections, but AJ's was different for some reason.”

“Could it be because we're all in your hive now?” Pinkie offered.

“I suspect so,” the queen confirmed. “To be honest, there is close to nothing in the history books about the Elements and their magical-”

Her words were cut short by a rainbow streak forming between her and the other five ponies that bore Elements. It was the same power that ignited when they had defeated Nightmare Moon and turned Discord to stone. There was a high-pitched whining sound before the rainbow streaks disappeared again.

It may be wise to ask Celestia about this, Chrysalis offered. Even her hivemind talk carried her signature changeling voice.

I planned on seeing her tonight anyways, Twilight responded.

Her hivemind was flipping through magic theory and changeling techniques faster than a single individual mind could hope to comprehend. As the green sparks in Twilight's eyes crackled about, the lightning dancing around each of the hive members finally ceased. The white glow from their eyes was eliminated as well, causing them to blink and squint for a moment to readjust.

“Thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed in relief.

“Aw,” Pinkie Pie pouted in contrast.

There was no more time for comment, however. A series of rainbow-colored bolts laced out from Rainbow Dash's forehooves and struck the room's ceiling light, effectively turning its illumination multi-colored. The blue pegasus snickered.

“Rainbow!” Twilight grumped aloud.

The Element of Loyalty shrugged. “No harm, right? Just seeing if I can use this Hive Power stuff.”

“Rainbow lightning?” Applejack remarked in awe. She had felt elated during the lightning-fest but was back on her hooves, so to speak. “Wait. We can all use this magic?”

Twilight bit her lip, struggling with the reality they were in. Controlling Pinkie Pie might end up being problematic, which was why she was attempting to throttle what was shared within their hivemind. She had to draw heavily on Chrysalis' memories due to her own inexperience with controlling hive thoughts.

“In a way,” she reluctantly answered to all of the eyes that had locked onto hers. “Our Element magic was a world of its own even before the hivemind. I took advantage of that to channel the changeling energy backwards, which means everyone in my hive could potentially access whatever magic we have stored through the Elements.”

There was a long pause as each of them bounced their thoughts around to translate what that meant.

“So,” Spike slowly broke the moment of contemplation, “we can use the Element magic through the hive connection and expose it using our own manifestation points.”

“Precisely,” Twilight gave a weak smile.

“I don't have a clue what I just said,” Spike gave a prideful grin in return.

Rarity failed to hold in an unladylike snort of laughter.

Rainbow Dash, still smug through her earlier use of the lightning, put in her two bits. “You can't just take Twi's thoughts and regurgitate them,” she told Spike. “You've got to translate them into your own language when you share thoughts. I immediately knew I could shoot awesome rainbow lightning because I translated Twi's brainy stuff into something I knew.”

“Which was?” Fluttershy quietly prompted.

“Use her energy to shoot rainbows,” the blue pegasus puffed out her chest proudly, though she hadn't bothered getting off the bed.

Applejack shook her head. “You would think in such simple terms.”

“Like you wouldn't?” Rainbow countered with their old rivalry heating up.

“Enough,” Twilight calmly defused them. “There's a lot for us to do and we don't need to be wasting time arguing. Applejack, I saw your memories when we connected. You used to play Pillow Fort with Big Mac when you were younger.”

The orange mare raised a brow. “Yeah, and so did you – with Shining Armor. What's your point?”

Twilight tapped the side of her head and AJ instantly got it through the hivemind.

“Always putting two and two together,” Applejack grinned. With a flick of her head, she sent her hat spinning to the other side of the room where the group's odds and ends were stacked. It was time to get to work.

Chrysalis giggled in her changeling buzz. “Trust my queen to quickly find solutions to every problem.”

Twilight humbly shook her head and motioned for all the room's occupants to move away from the beds. “Nopony can figure everything out on their own. Lucky for me, hiveminds are the ultimate cheat. The question becomes: how could I not find an easy solution when I have ten minds rather than one?”

When Twilight began to wrap her purple magic around each of the bed mattresses in the room, the Soleils spoke up.

“Please, mistress!” Midi quickly intervened, causing Twilight's magic to subside. “Never trouble yourself with such things. We are here to serve you.”

Twilight mentally weighed the pros and cons of the situation. She decided to allow the maids their initiative. “Have at it,” she replied with a thankful nod. “Get the box springs and frames out of the way and arrange the mattresses in a square pattern. Don't remove the fitted sheets, but rearrange the flats and covers.”

“As you wish,” Minuet happily replied as the four maids got to work.

Where are you going? Spike inquired in the hivemind before the others could.

The pony queen was heading for the door. To talk to Celestia and Luna, she returned. I suspect that they want to tell me something important.

Leaving the hotel was mostly a non-event. Twilight's two active guards that followed her to the hospital were a fully recovered Midnight Strike and Direway. Both of them had respectfully inquired earlier in the hivemind as to why they had experienced electrical surges around their bodies in addition to abnormal light from the eyes. They were satisfied with the answer and even contemplated the usefulness of the powerful shared magic. The guards separated from her only when they reached the massive ornate doors to Celestia's private hospital chamber.

The special recovery room in the hospital was amazing indeed. Just the kind of place one would expect the grand and immortal leader of the entire Equestrian race to be resting. The room was many times larger than the massive bed at its center, nestled in classical fashion with the headrest against the back wall. Enormous golden arches reached up behind the bed to form the shape of a sun on the wall. Celestia was awake and sitting up with a tray of sugary treats on her lap.

“Twilight,” the large alicorn ruler declared with much cheer in her tone. “I've been wanting to see you since I first awoke, but these silly doctors wouldn't let me get up.”

“For good reason,” Luna told her sister in all seriousness. The smaller dark mare was lying above the sheets beside her sibling.

“I'm glad to see you're alright as well,” Twilight replied with a small breath of relief. She approached the side of the bed. “I gathered it was pretty bad after I lost control.”

“Castles can be rebuilt,” Celestia waved off the concern. “Ponies cannot. We are all in good health and that's all that matters.”

“About that,” the purple alicorn bit her bottom lip. She had a feeling her questions were going to have difficult answers accompanying them. “We need to talk.”

Celestia laughed quietly and politely. “We've done much of that since you returned to Canterlot. What troubles you, Twilight? Something separate from your hivemind I presume?”

Taking the elder's cue to come up onto the bed, Twilight laid down on the sheets opposite of Luna. Even her ascension to becoming an alicorn and recent inner-circle title of queen failed to put her at ease being so close to the royal sisters. It felt as if she were in the presence of super-powerful beings beyond her comprehension, which she very nearly was.

“It's about Discord,” the pony queen admitted after an unusual pause. The sheets beneath her body were silky smooth, but they didn't help calm her mind. The others in her hive would be hearing the conversation even though they weren't physically in the room.

Luna spoke first. “That buffoon gave my magic back only after he completely squeezed every drop of energy from it. It will be days before I can so much as lift a pen with my magic.”

“It was for the best cause, though,” Celestia glanced to her sister.

That I would hardly argue,” Luna agreed and nodded to Twilight.

“I talked to him,” the queen shifted her gaze from Luna to Celestia. “There was something a little off about him. He's usually nonsensical and ridiculous, but this time he was...I don't know...vulnerable? He also suggested I talk to you about some kind of trip. Is something big going on that I don't know about?”

“Ah,” Luna stated flatly and shot her elder sister a knowing look.

“I hoped to somehow tell you later when you might have less on your shoulders,” the large white mare responded. Instead of continuing, though, she used a faint glow of her magic to bring a blueberry pastry to her mouth. Her expression turned far more delightful upon the first bite.

“Celestia...?” Twilight prompted.

The Princess of the Sun took her time and even took a sip of something that had been in a tea cup on the tray. It didn't look like tea, though. More like hot chocolate. Luna rolled her eyes.

“After I recover enough that the doctors approve of me getting up,” Celestia began, “I will be going on a little trip with Luna.”

“And Discord,” Luna added in monotone. “May the blessed stars save us.”

“Where to?” Twilight asked slowly, picking up the implication that it wouldn't be to some vacation hotspot in Equestria.

Celestia's nose scrunched up. She clearly wanted to say as little as possible while knowing, at the same time, that she could never be so vague with Twilight Sparkle. “Overseas. First to Griffonia.”

“First?” Twilight quickly spoke up. “Then where?”

“Lands beyond that we haven't tread in millenia,” Luna answered instead.

Anticipating the words forming on Twilight's lips, Celestia proceeded. “There are many dangerous things outside of Equestria, Twilight. Some more so than others. Luna and I have reason to believe there is a race out there that was involved with the disappearance of the magic dragons. If they are who we think they are, we have to go now before Equestria is endangered.”

Twilight said nothing at first. She lowered her head to her forehooves, which laid before her on the sheets. “How long?” she eventually asked.

“We don't know,” Luna provided. “Truly.”

“Twilight?” Celestia leaned forward, levitating her tray of treats aside. Luna caught it with her hooves when the mare's magic predictably gave out prematurely.

The purple queen didn't look up but continued to keep her head down and her gaze vacant. Her hive was talking about this discussion in the hivemind, but Twilight had only emotions stirring in her heart – not words.

“Twilight?” Celestia repeated. “What's wrong?”

“You'll be gone...” Twilight said listlessly. It was as if she were talking to the air rather than the princess.

“With Discord,” Luna corrected. “I know. It will be difficult for us. He rarely takes matters seriously.”

“Twilight,” Celestia regarded the smallest of them and temporarily ignored Luna. “You hardly need us here. You've grown up into a wonderful mare with more wisdom-”

Celestia's words were interrupted by Twilight jerking her head away so that Celestia couldn't meet her gaze.

The Equestrian ruler sighed and came out from the sheets so she could get closer to Twilight. “What is it? Talk to me, Twily.”

It had to have been over a decade since Twilight had heard Celestia use that nickname. That alone tricked her into looking back into the princess' eyes. Their faces were close, which allowed Celestia to see the green arcs dancing in her former student's irises. The abnormality didn't faze her, but it did weigh on her heart how much the young mare had already been through.

“You've always been here for me,” Twilight spoke with softness. “I never even imagined a time when you'd be gone...”

“I won't be gone,” Celestia tried cheering her up. “I'll just be away for a while. Luna and I will return.”

“And what if we don't?” asked an individual they hadn't known was in the room.

All eyes turned to find the source of the voice. It was the tea cup that Celestia had been drinking from earlier. Two eyes and a snide mouth had formed on its side.

“What's wrong?” Discord smirked. “Never seen a talking tea cup before?”

Realizing the implication, Celestia stuck out her tongue and looked down on it with worry and dismay. She practically turned green in the face.

“Discord,” Twilight acknowledged but kept her dismal expression.

“What?” he replied in faux innocence. He transformed outwards from the tray so that he was lazing across the bed in his original, full-sized, and signature body. He was, in particular, draped over Luna.

“Oof,” the Princess of the Night groaned from the sudden weight.

“I couldn't bear sitting this one out,” he explained himself while hugging Luna like a plush toy. “Three princesses having an emotional moment of impending separation? Why wasn't I invited? And after we just hugged, Twily!”

Although Discord continued with his goofiness, he didn't make use of any magically created props or random chaos. Luna squirmed in his grip, pushing insistently to get out of the forced hug. She clearly didn't feel as attached to him as he did to her. The scene helped lighten Celestia and Twilight's mood, however.

“Where did you get the magical energy to transform into that tea cup?” Twilight asked the first logical thing that came to her mind. “I thought you were out of magic...”

“Well,” he laughed and continued to force cuddle a red-faced Luna. “You're little connection to Applejack caused so much excess energy waste that I scooped up enough for a tiny transformation. It wasn't much, but I'm desperate for anything at this point.”

“You were stalking my hotel room?” the purple pony raised her brows.

Again, the draconequus chuckled in good humor. “Why of course, my little queen. You honestly thought that I wouldn't do something like that?”

Twilight facehoofed.

“Release us at once you molesting fiend!” Luna practically had tears in her eyes now.

“Me,” Celestia corrected her sister with a smile. “Release me, Lulu.”

“Can I keep her?” Discord teased as he nuzzled the side of her face. “Huh? Can I? Can I?”

“I would destroy you,” Luna breathed out darkly through her beat-red face of embarrassment, “if only you hadn't drained all of my magic.”

“We're two of a kind,” Discord grinned happily. “Two souls bereft of power, alone save for each other to love and cherish.”

Celestia had finally regained enough cheer to laugh openly. Her sister's cheeks puffed up and steam practically shot from her ears. Twilight's heart was lightened by the male's playfulness, but she still had serious emotions over Celestia's plans.

“Celestia,” Twilight bravely returned her attention to the mature white mare. The tall alicorn was situating herself back under the covers when she stopped to give Twilight her full attention. “You've always been there for me. Even when I was only sending you letters from Ponyville, I knew I could count on you to be there for me. I knew I could go back to Canterlot anytime I wanted just to see you. You've...”

Twilight paused and composed herself.

“You've been like a second mother to me.”

Celestia felt her heart seize with the meaning behind the words. Even Discord had paused to allow Twilight to talk unabated to Celestia. Luna too had fallen quiet in the draconequus' arms.

“Equestria has always had you here as a timeless pillar of love and leadership. What will happen to it if you leave?”

The Sun Princess had indeed put much thought into this. She knew her answer long before, but she instead took the time to grab Twilight and drag her closer to where she was beneath the covers. The immortal mare hugged her former pupil.

“I understand the idea that my prolonged absence would cause many to worry. I've felt as if you were the daughter I never had, Twilight. It brings me more joy than you can imagine to hear that you have similar feelings for me. But that is the very reason I must go. I couldn't bear the thought of losing Equestria to the monsters that are out there. Even more, I couldn't bear the thought of losing you.”

“You don't have to worry about me,” Twilight insisted more strongly and came back from the embrace. “I've learned so much and every day I grow stronger.”

“I've noticed,” Celestia gave a playful wink.

Realizing that the mare was referencing the fact that she was hospitalized, Twilight blushed. “Sorry,” she apologized. “But I have full control now.”

“I'm proud of you, Twilight,” Celestia concluded. “I trust you with everything. I was hesitant at first when it came to Chrysalis, but I know now that I can trust her too. The power and, most importantly, the maturity you have gained over time has convinced me you are ready to fill in for both me and Luna when we leave.”

“What?!” Twilight couldn't hold back her utter shock.

“I know there is so much for you to take care of right now,” Celestia said, truly concerned. “Unfortunately, I have to admit something to you. This is something Luna and I have learned over our thousands of years.”

Twilight's attention couldn't possibly have been more focused on the regal mare before her.

“Life,” Celestia declared, “never slows down.”

A moment of silence.

“Huh?” the pony queen raised a brow.

The Sun Princess simply folded her forehooves against the covers. “There will be moments in your life when you feel overwhelmed and there will be moments when you feel nothing has changed. But the world is always changing and you see that so clearly when you're trying to keep Equestria together. The reason that your life seems to be in such constant change, Twilight, is not because of anything Discord has done.”

The draconequus snickered. “See? I'm practically unemployed at this point.”

“It's not necessarily because of Chrysalis or the hivemind either, though they are involved in this case,” Celestia continued. “It's because you've continued to gain more responsibility over time. You used to be a pony that spent all her time reading books in a library. Now you're responsible for more than yourself. More than just Spike. There are over a dozen individuals that directly come under your wings – your hive. That responsibility has given you much more to consider besides your own wants and needs.”

Though the weight of responsibility was heavy, Twilight knew she had to shoulder it. She knew Celestia was right. Her hive needed her.

“In a way,” Celestia tilted her head as she considered the thought, “your hive is like a small version of Equestria. Every member has hopes and dreams. They all need stability and justice, but they also need freedom and peace. Being a good leader is a complex and difficult task. Especially when the ponies that depend on you see you as infallible.”

“I could never rule Equestria,” Twilight nearly whimpered.

“And it is that very admittance,” Celestia smiled in her motherly way, “that indicates you are ready.”

The purple alicorn's hivemind roared with speculation while her own voice was riddled with doubt. “I...”

“Twilight,” Celestia said as she put a bare forehoof on the other mare's shoulder. “You became a princess and, in under a month, you became a queen. I didn't give you the first title because I thought you were unprepared. If anything, it would be Equestria that is not mature enough for you. This country owes its life to you and your friends many times over. With my blessing, nopony will have any problem with your public ascension.”

“Ascension?” Twilight's eyes widened.

“Yes,” Celestia affirmed. “You will be Queen Twilight Sparkle of Equestria.”

PreviousChapters Next