• Published 5th May 2013
  • 2,547 Views, 66 Comments

From Crown To Halo - unicorn92243



Sequel to The Monster In Apple Bloom - Apple Bloom is horrified when her colt friend Bright Heart tells her his heart breaking secret. Can her friends and family help her cope?

  • ...
3
 66
 2,547

5. I Would've Loved You Anyway

Chapter 5

I Would’ve Loved You Anyway

The next day when Apple Bloom woke up, she found a letter by her door, as if somepony had slipped it underneath it. It had her name on the envelope, and she’d recognize that writing anywhere…

It was Bright Heart’s.

Heart pounding, she quickly ripped it open.

Dearest Apple Bloom,

If you’re reading this, then I must be dead. I asked Dark Star to give this to you after my funeral.

Oh my sweet Princess, I can’t imagine the pain you must be going through right now, but please don’t grieve for me too long. I want you to let your family and friends help you through this. I want you to be happy. You have the whole rest of your life ahead of you. Don’t let all your time be filled with tears, I want to know you’re smiling.

I’m waiting for you up in Heaven, and someday, I want to listen to all the adventures you had. I bet you’ll have some wonderful stories to share with me.

Now go out there and live, for me.

Love always,
Your Prince,
Bright Heart.


Apple Bloom wiped away her tears and gently set the letter on her bed. She unlocked and opened her door. She went to the bathroom and fixed herself up, then went downstairs. Her family was all there, looking incredibly worried. They looked up in surprise when she came in.

Apple Bloom cleared her throat.

“Um, I guess I should eat something, huh?” She suddenly realized how weak she felt after not eating for four days.

Granny Smith immediately dashed to the stove to fix her some breakfast, while her siblings both came to her and hugged her tightly.

“I’m so glad you aren’t locked up in your room anymore, we were getting mighty worried about you,” said Big Mac.

“I’m sorry I worried ya’ll so much,” said Apple Bloom softly.

“Welcome back sis,” Apple Jack kissed her cheek.

After breakfast, in which Apple Bloom ate till she couldn’t fit anymore food into her stomach, Apple Jack took her to see her Dr. Cheery. He upped the dosage on Apple Bloom’s antidepressants to help her get through this difficult time.

Hearing that she was out and about again, her friends came over to offer their support.

“We were really worried about you Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle hugged her.

“Yeah, we thought maybe you were trying to starve yourself to… well, you know,” said Scootaloo, joining in the hug.

“I wasn’t. I just wasn’t hungry, but I’ll be okay eventually. I have all you guys to help me, and I’m not the only pony who lost Bright Heart, everypony else did too. We should go see his family.”

When they got there, Dark Star opened the door.

“Oh, hey you guys. Nice to see you out and about again Apple Bloom.”

“The letter helped snap me out of it.”

“Yeah, he left us a letter too,” he nodded. Apple Bloom stepped forward and hugged him tightly, a hug which he returned.

The former crusaders stayed there awhile, comforting Dark Star and his parents. They talked about Bright Heart for awhile, remembering both good times and bad, and finally managed to smile as they remembered him the way they knew he’d want to be remembered.

Finally, when it was evening, they said their goodbyes and separated, starting for home. Along the way, Apple Bloom passed a flower cart. The owner was just starting to close up.

“Would you be interested in one more sale?” Apple Bloom asked her.

“Sure hon, what would you like?”

“The apple blossoms please.”

“All right, here you go. Thanks for the business,” the mare smiled.

After paying for the flowers, Apple Bloom changed direction. There was something she needed to do before she went home…

Bright Heart, a wonderful son, brother, and friend, she read as she lay the flowers on the grave.

“Hello my love. I wanted to thank you for your letter. It snapped me out of the darkness I was in. It still hurts, and I suspect it always will a little, but it’s not quite as bad anymore.” A tear fell down her cheek and she wiped it away. She managed a smile, for him.

She remembered just how much Bright Heart had enjoyed music and, thinking of a song she knew that described just how she was feeling, she began to sing.

I Would’ve Loved You Anyway

If I'd've known the way that this would end
If I'd've read the last page first
If I'd've had the strength to walk away
If I'd've known how this would hurt

I would've loved you anyway
I'd do it all the same
Not a second I would change
Not a touch that I would trade
Had I known my heart would break
I'd've loved you anyway

It's bittersweet to look back now
At memories withered on a vine
Just to hold you close to me
For a moment in time

I would've loved you anyway
I'd do it all the same
Not a second I would change
Not a touch that I would trade
Had I known my heart would break
I'd've loved you anyway

Even if I'd seen it comin'
You'd still have seen me runnin'
Straight into your arms

I would've loved you anyway
I'd do it all the same
Not a second I would change
Not a touch that I would trade
Had I known my heart would break
I would've loved you anyway

I would've loved you anyway...

“Good night Bright Heart.” Apple Bloom dropped a kiss to the top of his headstone, gazed for a moment at the sunset, then started off home.

Now go out there and live, for me.

“I will my Prince, I will.”