• Published 25th May 2016
  • 3,655 Views, 37 Comments

Full (frontal) Moon Over Equestria - Charlie_K



On a late night in Canterlot, Celestia finds it impossible to sleep and decides to go for a walk. Little did she know that a late night conversation would lead her to an entirely different discovery.

  • ...
23
 37
 3,655

The only chapter

Much as Celestia hated to, she had to face certain unpleasant facts that simply couldn't be ignored. And currently she was forced to face a particularly unsavory fact that she loathed deeply. That being it was well past midnight, she had a big day tomorrow, and she was still wide awake, and showing no signs of being able to go to sleep anytime soon.

She'd been laying in her bed for the last hour, both mentally and physically exhausted from all of her royal duties, willing herself to simply let her mind drift into unconsciousness. But despite that desire for blissful rest, it seemed intent on alluding her in a game of cat and mouse that would make Discord proud. Sleep was subjecting her to more of a shell game than the various nobles did over the course of the day, and there was nothing she could do about it. Whereas a noble would ramble, and could be directed to get to the point in their poorly disguised begging for more money, sleep obeyed nopony, and would move of its own accord. It couldn't be heckled, or trolled, or even tricked into acting in a way it didn't see fit to.

Tossing and turning, readjusting her position for a better degree of comfort, had proven to ultimately be futile efforts in this battle of wills. If there was any winning to be had, it wouldn't be her; not anytime soon anyway. Given enough hours, she could probably drift off, but it was a long commitment that she simply didn't have the patience to devote time to.

The incessant ticking of the clock wasn't helping matters either. It served as just a mocking reminder of the fact that she couldn't sleep. Finally the culmination of everything got to be more than she could realistically tolerate. It was time to fly the white flag of defeat on this one.

"If I can't sleep, I'm at least going to be doing it somewhere else," she said to herself and finally sat up. If her bed was going to provide her with no respite, she was going to take to the halls for a late night walk.

She knew full well that the physical activity might only serve to shake the tiredness from her mind, but it was equally possible that it could allow her to unwind, and rest easier when she finally returned. Perhaps she'd venture out into the royal gardens and simply stare up at the night sky for a while, letting her mind drift to wherever it pleased.

Slipping out of bed, she retrieved a robe to pull over the flimsy nightgown she wore, slipping it over her shoulders and wings, and tying the belt shut tight. Both for the purpose of warding off the chill the night tended to bring with it, and for the sake of whatever palace staff she might come across during her walk, who would be seeing her in a less than regal state. Not that she would mind them seeing the real her now and again, especially the guards, but she doubted that they could truly be at ease around her; there were some things that even years of training couldn't overcome.

The sound of her guards snapping to attention at her chamber doors being parted merely served to reinforce that fact all too well to her.

"I'm going for a stroll to clear my mind," she stated as she stepped out into the hallway, the doors closing behind her. "I won't need an escort. At ease, gentlecolts," she instructed.

The two stallions remained at attention, but in a more relaxed manner than they had been previously. It was the best she could really hope for, and she knew that for a fact.


The feel of carpeting underneath her hooves wasn't something Celestia got to experience often when she walked the palace halls, what with it tending to coincide with almost constantly having to wear her regalia. It was a sensation she'd come to appreciate, simply because it was a change from the stagnant norm she was forced to put up with for so many centuries. It was a deviation from the standard order of things, regardless of how small it was; that was enough to make her repeatedly rub her hooves against the fabric as if she were trying to scratch an itch, simply to feel something new.

It wasn't enough though. Not nearly enough. She craved more than merely the feel of soft carpeting beneath her hooves in the dead of night.

Before she could linger on thoughts as to what she truly wanted, that train of thought derailed, and her hooves came to a stop as something new made its presence known. There was a delectable aroma working its way from the kitchen to where she stood, serving to distract her from her own brooding. And if her nose wasn't mistaken, that delectable aroma was something that she hadn't had the opportunity to sample in a long, long while,

Another sniff proved to dispel the thought of being mistaken, as there was no mistaking that aroma for anything else. Somepony was in the process of baking a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. Already the thought was making her stomach rumble.

"It couldn't hurt," she said to herself, feeling motivated to swing by the kitchen to determine who the mystery baker was. And perhaps if she were lucky, said mystery baker would feel generous enough to allow her a sample of their wares.

She could've easily teleported to the kitchen in an instant, but she chose not to. She wanted to savor that sweet smell as she made her way there on hoof, to give her something to look forward to. It would also give her the opportunity to hope for acquiring some for herself, rather than having that hope dashed immediately by the prospect of getting nothing.


The urge to storm the kitchen was quite strong as Celestia made her way through the palace, eager to arrive at her destination. But as she approached the doorway, her ears flicked as she picked up the sound of somepony talking and... no, no it wasn't talking, it was singing. The voice was quite soft, and the tune quite old; centuries old actually. That was in addition to the song being sung in a language that most didn't commonly have knowledge of. All those facts combined told her that Luna was the mystery baker.

She stepped into the kitchen quietly, weighting her options of approach. With her sister, that might make it easier to acquire a few cookies for herself. Or it might make the acquisition more difficult. It was hard to tell just how her Luna would respond; either friendly or playful.

The plan of her approach was to step around the bend in the room that led to the ovens, and casually comment on how somepony was certainly busy tonight.

But it was a simple rule that no plan survived first contact, and she faltered in her approach when she actually saw Luna standing in front of the ovens and taking a tray of freshly baked cookies out, before putting another tray and unbaked ones in. That in itself hadn't caused her to nearly trip over her hooves, but rather it was the view of her sister's bare backside, obstructed only by her tail.

Luna... Luna was standing naked in the palace kitchen, wearing nothing but an apron and oven mitts.

In her surprised state, she must've caused some commotion she hadn't been aware of, as Luna turned around to face her at that moment.

"You are up quite late, 'Tia," she noted as she moved to set the tray of cookies down on the nearest counter. "Is everything alright?"

"I... I don't know," Celestia said as she found her voice again, trying not focus on how the apron was currently hanging off of Luna's frame. "Is this a dream? Am I sleeping?" she asked.

Luna shook her head. "You are wide awake, dear sister, and well past your bedtime as well. What would give you the idea that you are dreaming?"

"Beyond the fact that my sister is currently naked in the kitchen while baking cookies?" Celestia asked.

Luna blinked, before looking down at herself to confirm for herself what Celestia was saying, before looking back up at her, just a tad bit sheepish as she did.

"You would like an explanation, I assume."

"I'd certainly appreciate one," Celestia replied and nodded.

"Very well. But before that, a question," Luna replied, "cookie?"


A plate of hot chocolate chip cookies, and a tall glass of cold milk. Celestia would be lying if she said such a treat didn't inspire a sense of nostalgia in her, as it reminded her of more enjoyable times long since passed, when both she and Luna were fillies. The two of them had spent a number of nights in their youth, enjoying this same snack, ironically in the same setting; the palace kitchen late at night in each others' company. Making it all the better was that they'd been cooked to the point of the outer edges being crispy without being hard, and one could just detect a hint of vanilla upon biting into it.

Of course that delight born from a remembrance of more enjoyable times back in the old palace, was tempered by the circumstances surrounding it. While she had succumbed to the simple joy found in hot cookies, Luna had divested herself of the mitts and apron before joining in, leaving quite literally nothing to the imagination as she enjoyed the fruits of her labors as well.

This was hardly the first time she'd seen Luna naked; far from it actually. Growing up they would always be bathed together. Even into their adulthood, social bathing was something still practiced with semi-regularity between them; having a companion greatly assisted in getting properly cleaned. Beyond that fact, bathing alone could be so very lonely, regardless of the attendants being on duty. Nothing had even been thought about it. But this was an entirely different context in which she was seeing her sister bare. It was... she really didn't know what it was.

"Are they to your liking, dear sister?" Luna asked her.

"Just like Mother used to make," Celestia replied.

"Fitting, seeing as it is her recipe that was used," Luna stated as she quickly procured another cookie for herself.

"Might I ask what brought this on? The last time we had a moment like this, it was your first night back in Equestria," Celestia pointed out, although she refrained from mentioning the obvious.

Luna merely shrugged as she chewed. "Just a simple craving for something sweet. And as it was a slow night, I saw no reason not to bake up a batch," she explained.

"Is the fact it's a slow night, also the reason you're naked?" Celestia asked.

"I take it you do not approve?" Luna asked in return.

"Would it matter if I didn't?" Celestia asked.

"In truth? No it would not," Luna replied, no uncertainty in her voice as she spoke. "It would, however, be appreciated if you did..." she admitted in a quieter tone.

Celestia remained quiet as she chewed on her cookie, observing Luna's demeanor, before reaching over and patting her hand.

"What you do on your own time is up to you, Luna. You're a grown mare, you don't need my permission," she explained, "but you have managed to pique my curiosity. If you feel up to explaining, why don't you start at the beginning?" she suggested.

"Yes, that may be best," Luna replied and nodded. "I cannot name names, but some time ago when I was making my rounds in the dream world, I was... shall we say introduced, to the concept of nudism. From what I gathered, it is the belief that nudity should be regarded as normal, not something that one should be ashamed of."

"And you decided to try it out for yourself to see if there was a point, correct?" Celestia asked as she turned her attention to the glass of milk next to the plate of cookies.

Luna shook her head in response. "Not at first, no, although I was intrigued by the idea. But it took quite some time before I ever considered actually going ahead and attempting it for myself. And then longer still, before I worked up the nerve to actually go through with such," she explained. She stopped to eat another cookie on the shared plate between them, before continuing with her story. "It was not something I rushed into without thinking. I was actually quite apprehensive about what I was considering; enough that I actually approached the night staff to hear from them first."

That made Celestia pause, and divert her attention back to Luna, milk and cookies forgotten for the time being. "Come again?" she asked.

"I did not consider it appropriate to engage in such unconventional behavior, without first informing those that would be present to witness what was to occur, and thus affected by it. So I briefed them on what I was considering doing, and listened to what they had to say in response," Luna elaborated.

"Very considerate of you," Celestia noted. Although that sounded like something Twilight would do rather than Luna. "And how did that go?"

"It was one of the most awkward things I have ever undertaken in recent history," Luna admitted and sighed, hanging her head in memory. "The night staff was just as uncomfortable with the idea as I; if not even more. Most of the night had been spent on discussion rather than application. By the time I had worked up the nerve to actually proceed, morning was already close at hoof, necessitating a postponement until the next night. But looking back, I believe such was the best course of action to take in broaching this subject."

"Oh?" Celestia asked, an amused tone tinting her voice in the process. "How so?"

"Well I am merely assuming, but I believe that my being just as embarrassed and uncomfortable as the night staff made for a more successful endeavor. They showed me the same degree of consideration that I did for them; if not even more. They were willing to aid me however they could, to help me feel at ease with what I was doing," Luna explained, a smile crossing her features as she spoke. Looking back at how things had started out, she liked to think that the mutual embarrassment on everypony's part had instilled a sense of camaraderie between them.

"Oh? So are there certain perks involved with working the night shift?" Celestia asked with a coy grin.

Luna frowned at hearing the tone of Celestia's question, narrowing her eyes in response. "Celestia. I hope that you are not suggesting what I believe you are. Because if you are, I am going to slap you in response," she warned, her wings twitching as she did. "Nudism is not about that. It is not about succumbing to, and embracing base desires in such a bestial manner."

Celestia put her hands up in mock defeat, but could do little to suppress her amusement at Luna's response. "I'm sorry, Luna, I apologize. Really. I just couldn't resist, you left yourself wide open with how you were speaking, and I'd be remiss in my duties as a big sister if I let that go," she explained. But she calmed down and became serious once again. "So how long has this been going on?"

Luna huffed and frowned, but eventually shrugged and continued with her tale, deciding it was best to simply let it go. "Long enough that it no longer seems strange to go without clothing. The guards are no longer uncomfortable in my presence, regardless of what they see, and the staff has become relaxed; both mares and stallions. It has more or less become business as usual," she explained.

"Well that's certainly good to know. But you didn't really answer my question," Celestia replied with a knowing smile as she picked up a cookie to nibble at. "I asked how long this has been going on, not how long it took for everypony to become adjusted to it."

"Oh. Right," Luna replied, realizing that she'd been caught. That left no choice but to actually confess. "About three months now. Perhaps five..."

Celestia quirked an eyebrow at hearing that. "Five months? You've been going nude every night for five months, and this is my first actual hearing of it?" she asked, not really believing it. How did something like that not get out through gossip?

Perhaps the ponies that made up the night staff were more loyal to Luna than she'd suspected.

"Well... almost every night. There have been times when it was simply not possible, due to royal duties that needed to be tended to. But for the most part, yes," Luna explained.

Celestia remained silent as she thought over this. Although that would prove a lot easier if she actually knew just what to think about what Luna had told her. This was a lot of information to take in all at once, and needed to be properly processed. She decided not to pursue the matter of how long Luna had been a practitioner, as it was irrelevant right now.

"Is the night court one of those duties where clothing is required?" she asked.

Luna nodded in response. "I did not think it appropriate to do otherwise. Even if I did think such, it is not something I would actually dare to try. At least... not without you knowing beforehoof, so that you might be able to offer guidance on the matter," she explained hesitantly.

Celestia briefly wondered if Luna's admission was part of something larger. Had her sister secretly orchestrated all the events of this evening, just to bring about this moment? Had she needed to speak with her, but couldn't think of any other way to go about it?

This was going to require gathering more information before proceeding in one direction or another.

"I'm curious about how you actually arrange that. Where do you keep your clothing, so that it's convenient when you have a petitioner to see?" she asked, wondering if one of the maids was on call, and tasked with keeping her sister's garments available at all times.

"Ah! That is a matter that was brought up by my aide, Night Blossom, when the matter was first being discussed. She had a brilliant recommendation for such eventualities, as it would take too long to be made presentable otherwise," Luna replied and snapped her fingers.

In a flash Luna was dressed in the same gown and garb Celestia had seen her wearing when she'd turned in for the evening, complete with regalia. She then snapped her fingers again, and it was once again gone just as it had come.

"You placed an invisibility charm on your clothing?" Celestia asked.

"Feel for yourself and tell me if that is what I did," Luna replied as she extended her arm for her sister's inspection.

Celestia reached out to feel her sister's arm and confirm this, but stopped as a mischievous grin crossed her features, and then moved to feel an entirely different part of Luna's anatomy, to see if this was what she'd truly done.

Luna squawked in surprise and swatted at Celestia's arm, unable to keep from giggling as her sister's fingers danced lively across her bare belly. She immediately pulled back and shielded her abdomen with her forearms crossed to prevent any similar attacks being launched against her. "You are evil!" she laughed.

"And don't you forget it," Celestia quipped and smirked. "So you teleport your clothes off and on, in order to make yourself presentable at a moment's notice if need be?" she asked.

"Correct," Luna replied as she straightened up again. "There were numerous suggestions offered on how best to proceed with this. But in the end, summoning clothing when it was needed seemed to be the best, along with assistance from the staff when it is necessary. Nopony outside of them is aware of what I do. Other than yourself."

As best as Celestia could tell, Luna was exercising as much caution, discretion, and concern as possible as she went about her activities, without ending them entirely; something that she doubted her sister was going to be doing anytime soon, judging by everything she'd said so far. Nor was she really seeing a reason as to why she should.

"Well then. It sounds like you've given all of this a great deal of thought, and have a sustainable game plan if you intend to continue. It seems, to me, that you have everything well in hoof," she stated before taking a sip of her drink.

"It does, does it not?" Luna replied.

Celestia paused. Something in Luna's tone, something that a stranger would be excused for not being able to notice, suggested that there was more at issue than what she was being told. Exactly what that was, she didn't know. But she knew the tone, and knew Luna well enough to know when something was weighing on her mind; she'd made a great deal of effort at becoming wise on such matters after her return to Equestria, as she had no desire to ever lose her sister again.

"There's more to it than just that, isn't there?" she asked.

Luna looked uncomfortable, the uncertainty of whether or not to reply, and how go reply, playing out across her face as she waged an internal battle of what to to.

"There is," she finally admitted, "but you would find it stupid."

"Finding something to be stupid, doesn't mean that it is stupid. But what was stupid, was my joking about the palace becoming a den of debauchery when the sun went down," Celestia explained. When Luna looked back at her, she continued. "That little slip about what was appropriate during the night court wasn't a mere hypothetical, was it?" she asked.

"It was not..." Luna admitted as she looked down.

"Do you want to hold the night court while nude?" Celestia inquired.

Luna shook her head slowly. "It is not something that I want to do. But... it is a thought that I have pondered from time to time. I cannot help but wonder what it would be like if I were to actually do such," she admitted.

"There would certainly be consequences to doing something like that," Celestia pointed out, to which Luna nodded. "Political backlash, fits from the nobility, referendums being filed, scandals in the tabloids, social justice warriors taking offense, those who seek to emulate you in how they conduct themselves..."

"I am aware," Luna replied and nodded. "Every time I have considered the possibility of attempting it, I am forced to weigh the facts of what potential fallout my actions may bring about if I did so. I simply do not feel that what would come of my actions would be worth it. There is simply too much at stake. If only I could make my mind stop wandering..."

"Let me ask you something, Luna," Celestia spoke up, interrupting whatever brooding her sister was undertaking. "Being a nudist, if that's the right term, is it something that you enjoy doing?"

"Very much," Luna admitted without hesitation, "It is difficult to express in words just how relaxing it can be to stroll through the hallways at night in nothing but your fur, and do it in such a casual manner, all without feeling like you are doing something shameful that must be hidden away from view. It can be so invigorating and freeing to actually experience."

"Then that's all I really need to know," Celestia replied, before downing the contents of her glass. "If this really is something you'd truly like to do, I'll support you in your endeavor."

Luna blinked, not sure she'd heard Celestia right? "You... you will? Just like that?" she asked.

"Just like that," Celestia confirmed with a nod. "Luna, as best I can tell, you're quite serious about not only this, but also your efforts in being professional in how you conduct yourself while doing it. I admit I don't know that much about nudism, but I can see that this isn't some passing fancy you've gotten involved in simply because it's fun. If it's truly important to you, then the least I can do is be supportive."

"E-even... even if I said that I did wish to hold the night court while nude?" Luna asked, her voice shaky as she did.

"Even then," Celestia replied.

The counter might as well have not existed, as Celestia quickly found herself tackled by Luna, nearly knocked off her stool in the process as a firm, highly energetic hug was delivered.

"I cannot express how much I appreciate that."

Celestia hesitated momentarily, before returning the hug and rubbing the patch of soft fur between her wings, not caring that her sister was currently naked. Right now Luna was happy, and that meant more to her than the fact she wasn't wearing anything.

"I do not know if I would ever be ready to actually take such a step. But thank you for saying that you would stand by me even if I did. It means much to know that you have my back in this," Luna stated before pulling back to look up at her. "You do know that if I did, our rule might never be the same again, right?"

"That's not necessarily a bad thing to experience, Luna, sometimes change is necessary. Our rule certainly hasn't been the same since you returned," Celestia pointed out. After a thousand years absence, Luna's return to rule had been met with... opposition from the powers that be. There were many who had been unhappy with the thought of the former Nightmare Moon returning to a position of authority. But regardless of all their wailing and gnashing of teeth, they had little choice but to accept the fact that the diarchy was returning in full force, and that they'd have two princesses to contend with from now on. "Considering such, a nudist princess shouldn't be all that controversial. Just be sure to let me know beforehoof when you plan on proceeding. I don't want to wake up to the fallout already in full swing, and I missed out on all the fun."

"Of course, of course," Luna agreed and nodded quickly. She didn't know if Celestia was joking about missing out on the fun of a political shakeup, but right now she didn't really care; she was just in too good of a mood right now. "I do not think it will be tonight, however. The docket holds little in the way of petitioners that need to meet with me. It is mostly paperwork to tend to."

"Perhaps that's for the best. I'm far too tired for all of the excitement of a revolution tonight anyway," Celestia replied as she disengaged from the hug. Despite the contents of the talk tonight, as well as her stomach, she felt more relaxed than she had previously. Now he actually felt like she might be able to rest. "Have a good night, Luna," she replied, before procuring two of the few remaining cookies for herself for the journey back to her quarters.

"Um... before you depart, 'Tia, might I pose another question?" Luna asked.

"I don't see why not," Celestia replied and shrugged. A few more minutes without rest wouldn't hurt her at this point.

"Perchance would you... like to participate as well?" Luna asked, a hesitant tone in her voice as she spoke.

Celestia must've been more tired than she initially thought. Had she heard her right? "Come again?"

"Would you like to know for yourself what nudism is about? An explanation can only go so far in a matter like this, and some things can only be understood through practical experience," Luna clarified.

Celestia mulled over the question, looking between Luna, and down at her robed form as she contemplated the proposition. She certainly could do that; she doubted it would cause any harm. She'd only have to untie a single knot, and slip out of a few articles of clothing to actually do it. And if what Luna was saying was true, the only ones who would actually see her, were those who were already accustomed to observing nudity in a public setting.

If she was going to support Luna in her endeavors, it couldn't hurt to have some understanding of just what she was supporting.

"Perhaps. But some other time. I'm too tired to be trying anything new right now," she finally replied and yawned. "Give me a few days to think it over, alright?"

"Of course," Luna replied and nodded, not seeing anything wrong with the request. If Celestia was willing to lend her support, the least she could do was give her the time to think it over for herself. She briefly wondered if she should point out the benefits of sleeping without sleepwear, as it would give Celestia the option of a head start, but she didn't want to come off as being too pushy. She would simply hold off for now, and let her sister proceed at her own pace. "Have a good night's sleep, sister."

"I'm certainly going to try," Celestia stated as she stood up and stretched. "I'll see you at breakfast."

"I will be looking forward to it then," Luna replied. "And before you ask. Yes, I will be dressed for such. There are too many ponies on the day staff up at that time for the alternative to be viable."

"Alright then. I leave the palace in your capable hands," Celestia said as she departed. "Just try not to burn down the kitchen. I'll never hear the end of it," she called over her shoulder.

Luna didn't know just what sort of response to give, finding Celestia's comment so off the wall, it might as well have come from Pinkie Pie instead of her own sister. What sort of remark was that even supposed to be?

Before she could ask for clarification, something bitter was tickling her nose. Instantly she understood just what Celestia had been saying.

"Ack! My cookies!"