• Published 15th May 2013
  • 1,264 Views, 10 Comments

Pony Detective - DetMan



A young man that lives in an old, Victorian age town is thrown into a series of events leading up to the possible end of not just Earth, but also a whole different world called Equestria.. In turn, he also has to do it as a unicorn mare.

  • ...
4
 10
 1,264

Ch.1: The Beginning

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the story of the most recent events of my life.

I am Nolan Cote, a private detective, self employed obviously. Strange name, right? I’ve had strange parents. My mother thinks that she is a psychic and my dad was a police officer. It sounded normal, until the day of his death while out on patrol. I still don’t know who killed him, and I have been helping mom cope with his death for a while. After that, I went into the detective work.

I’ve been working on small crime cases for the last six years. It pays well, and I never do find myself without a warm meal every night. I am twenty seven years old, caucasian, with dark chocolate brown hair and eyes.

It all started with a phone call, around 9:30 P.M. I was closing down my small, paper cluttered office when I heard the old antique phone ring on my desk. I lock my front door, and make my way through scrap paper lying on the floor to my desk near the window. I was raining outside.

*click* “Hello?” I say into the receiving end of the phone.

“Hello, this is Nolan, correct? The detective?” The voice sounds feminine.

“Yes, Nolan speaking. I’m afraid I am closing down now, if you could just call tomorro-”

“Please, this is important, my-”

“Look, miss, I’m busy all night with paperwork. The police department will have my ass if I don’t finish it.”

The woman at the other end begins to sound desperate. “Nolan, it’s my daughter. I can’t help her alone and the police don’t believe me!”

I raise an eyebrow at the statement. “They don’t believe you? Why, what did you say?”

“I said that my daughter was kidnapped by a pony.”

I sigh, another nutjob prank calling my desk again.

“Alright, miss, time for me to go-”

“Please! You have to believe me, no one else will!”

I pinch my eyes, frustrated with the woman at the other end who is clearly off her rocker. “Miss, please don’t waste my time. I mean come on, a horse kidnapping your daughter? What kind of lunacy is that?”

“I’ll pay you handsomely for you to at least look into it!”

I look out the window, observing the small town I live in with a bit more interest. Well, pretend to give a crap, and receive money, but how much?

“How much?”

“A thousand.”

Whoa, okay, yes! This will pay off your bills that are stacking up in the filing cabinet and let you live comfortably for a while. All I have to do was humor a crazy lady who keeps saying that her non-existent daughter was kidnapped by a horse, and make her feel like I’m getting somewhere.

“...Alright, fine. I’ll come by your house by tomorrow. Address?”

The lady at the other end lets out a long, held in breath. “Oh, thank you! My address is...”

A half hour of information collecting later, I finally say. “Alright, thank you miss. Your name is...?

“Christina.”

“Okay, see you tomorrow, Christina. Sleep well.”

“Thank you again, detective.”

I place the phone back on its base, and lean back in the chair. What the hell am I doing? I’m probably placing this woman further into her dementia, and for what, money? Boy, what kind of hero am I?

I take a breath, and slip out of my coat, leaving it on the back of the chair. I head to the door to the right of my desk, open it, and step inside. My office doubles as my home, and this room was my bedroom. In the corner is my single bed, nightstand with a digital alarm clock, and a mirror over it. It’s small, but it does its sole purpose. To accommodate my sleeping self.

I slip on some nightwear, just some grey cotton pants and t-shirt, and slip into my bed.

“...Stay away.”

My eyes shoot open before they close, and I sit up immediately. I heard an unfamiliar voice. Was it some people outside? It wasn’t muffled, but it was still hard to hear. I slowly lay back into bed, and sigh. Maybe I am going crazy too, like that lady. I close my eyes, and eventually drift to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dreamed of colors.

A large assortment of colors, ranging from the rainbow, and some that I didn’t even recognize. This continued, with a quiet, droning white noise in the background. Eventually, the corners of my eyes start to blacken, leaving a white circle in the middle of my vision.

A scene starts to replace the blackness. The room I was in was filled with large, complex computers, keyboards, clipboards, pencils, pens, research notes, and pictures of small, familiar looking creatures. They reminded me of horses, but they are smaller, and more oddly shaped. What struck me was that they were colored, in a pastel style. They had huge eyes, big heads that don’t proportion well with their bodies, and larger than normal hooves. Some of them even had wings and others had horns on their head. Some didn’t have either.

They were pretty colorful, and there were a lot of them. And I mean a lot of them. They were plastered with clear tape on the computers, walls, and floors. Some of them were drawn on the actual walls. I started to feel very uncomfortable with the whole situation, as whoever drew these obviously was obsessed by them. Even a child could figure that out, with or without detective skills.

The white circle in the middle of my vision started to take shape, and it seemed to be bordered by a circle of metal, occasionally having a glowing gem along it, each with a different color of the rainbow. They changed colors constantly, keeping the light from disappearing. What is this?

“Impressive, isn’t it?”

I manage to finally move my eyes beyond what is in front of me, and turn. A scruffy looking man with short, jet-black hair and brown eyes stood before me. He had an old, stained scientist lab coat on, and a name-tag that read “Benji Froman”.

“What-” I began to say, but Benji raised his hand to silence me. I did, whether or not I wanted to, I didn’t know.

“It seems you have been placed in a chain of events that will end with an uncertain ending, mister Nolan.”

“Who are you, what are you?”

“Well, assuming you didn’t already read my nametag, I am Benji. I work on the secret project assigned by the U.S. government to locate, and create a bridge, to alternate planets. Don’t get me wrong, we only want to find life and communicate. But...”

He looks forlornly at the light behind me, taking a breath.

“Someone in the team thought differently. He was always a troubled one...”

I take the moment to ponder on what the scientist had told me. The U.S. government was, apparently, aware that life existed somewhere, and now had access to create rips through space to get to those places of life. Wonderful. Wait, did he say someone had other plans?

“Who?” I say.

Benji looks at a desk that is completely covered in the horse creatures. “That would be Denn. We only knew that part of his name. He now calls himself ‘Dark Light’. Makes no sense to any of us why he chose to do that, but then again he is insane.”

Dark Light, or in the dictionary a different name for ultraviolet light that can reveal substances and invisible ink writing (I should know) via a dim purple glow. Huh. Maybe...

“That name is pretty contradictory. I assume he knows what he is doing is wrong, but thinks he is quite the ‘bright’ man, correct?”

Benji grins. “I see why they picked you, detective.”

Someone picked me?

“‘They’? Who are ‘they’?

“Nevermind that now,” Benji exclaims. “I don’t have much time, so listen closely. You need to find Dark, and kill him.”

Whoa, okay, what?

“Excuse me? Kill a man? What are you, nuts?”

“It’s the only way, Nolan. If there was, I would go that route. Maybe there is, but I am blind to it.”

“Why should I do it? This is none of my business.”

“Quite the contrary, Nolan. You see, you were brought into this world to save another. The beings that brought you to me made sure that you survived to today, so that you could stop Dark.”

I begin to get a bit angry. This conversation is moving to unknown territory. “What beings?! This is preposterous! Another world? What does it matter?”

“Because if that world ends, this will too.”

I suddenly feel a cold breeze come up from behind me, and Benji forms a terrified look on his face.

“W-what?” I say, nervously.

I turn to be face to face with a pony. It has a moving, distorted black mane, and it’s fur is covered with a deep, dark purple. It’s eyes are glowing red as it looks into mine. “This is what the princesses think that can stop me? Hah!” Its voice is deep, and monstrous.

“Princesses? Wha-”

“Silence, human! Lest before I turn you into goo. This may be a dream, but I can still cause damage to you.” The insane pony looks past me, towards Benji. Its eyes grow a brighter red, and Benji screams out in pain, collapsing. This is then my turn to be terrified.

“Wha- what did you do?!”

“Are you that daft? I killed him!”

My heart begins to speed up, and the dark pony backs up towards the light. “You mere mortal cannot stop me. I will give you one chance, stay away, and your death on this plane will be painless. Come after me, and I will make you die a slow, agonizing death.” It laughs at me, and steps into the light, disappearing.

I turn to Benji, kneeling over and feeling his neck. No pulse, he is definitely dead. Damn.

I suddenly realize this may actually a dream. “What am I getting worried about? I’m dreaming, this isn’t real, so this isn’t an actual dead body.” My growing sense of logic finally catches up to my conscious mind, and I begin to wake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I open my eyes, back in my bed. I sit up slowly to prevent myself from getting sick from the sudden movement, and reflect on what I remember from the dream. I realize that I don’t exactly remember too much, and I sigh at my lack of memory when I realize that my door was being beaten by a knuckle for the past few minutes. I get up, and hastily throw on some clothes. I step out into my office, place on my coat, and head for the door.

I open it, and am met with one of my friends, and sometimes partner in crime, Chris.

“Hey man, mind if I come in?”

“Sure, but did you have to come by so early?”

“It’s 12:00, Nolan.”

Crap, i’ve been sleeping in? That’s a first.

“Ah, damn, musta’ slept in. Yeah. come in.”

I side step out of the way, and finally become conscious of the mess of papers and other office appliances on the floor.

“Sorry about the mess.” I say as Chris walks by. In full light I finally see his red hair and hazel eyes. A rare gene pool this man was created in. He walks past, and shoulders back up his jacket.

“Just like the movies in here!” He says with a grin.

I look around my office, noticing how much it does actually represent a gloomy detective office in the old 90’s films.

I grin a bit, humoring Chris. “‘Suppose it does, I try my best.”

Chris laughs a bit, and sits down in the visitor chair in front of my desk. I close the door, and head over to sit in my chair.

Chris is digging through his coat pockets as I sit down. “What’re you here for, Chris? Just visiting?”

Chris looks up after he is done, taking out a folded document. “Nah, came over to give you this,” He hands over the document to me, and I unfold it open to be greeted with a plethora of incomprehensible symbols and letters typed out onto the paper. There are no paragraphs, no pausing, no periods, and no commas. Whoever wrote this is either horrible at proper grammar in writing, or did this is a hurry.

I skim over the words and look at Chris. “What is this? It’s all written in weird symbols and scribbles. All typed out.”

Chris shrugs. “Dunno, some labcoat guy at the store I work at told me to give this to you. Don’t know why he didn’t just go to you in person, but eh. Don’t worry, I checked it for booby traps.” Chris joked.

I look over the symbols. “You have any idea what it says, if it says anything at all?”

“Not a clue, though when I was looking at it myself, some weird ass looked at it and put his fist up, waiting for me to bump it, apparently. He called it a “brohoof” or whatever. Look it up on Google, or something.”

I start to contemplate at what Chris said. Brohoof. Hoof. Lord.

I pull up my computer, and open up the search engine. I type in “brohoof” in the search bar, and hit enter. My screen filled with results, and I clicked on the dictionary entry on it.

I read outloud, “Brohoof, friendly gesture between one ‘brony’ and another in the form of connecting knuckles, or hooves. Hmm.”
I continued to read on. “Originating from My Little Pony, cult children's T.V. cartoon.”

I go back to the search engine, and enter in My Little Pony, and the first suggestion related to my search was as such, labeled My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Created by Hasbro.

Hm, well alright then. I continue on the research of the term ‘brony’ when I realize that I am not the only person in the room.

“Oh sorry, according to here, loads of grown men watch this show, which is meant for little girls.”

“You kidding me? That’s fucked up.” Chris says with a slight disgusted look on his face.

“That still doesn’t explain the weird symbols.” I reply.

“Maybe, in the show for translation problems, that’s what the characters write in?”

“Possibly, i’ll look into it. Thanks for the paper, i’ll see if I can’t translate it, if it even means anything.”

Chris nods, and gets up from his chair. “Don’t let me catch you turning into a brony, Nolan.”

I grin. “As if, Chris. Once done, I’ll leave it to the manchildren.”

Chris laughs, and leaves my office.

I frown a bit. The ponies in this show look exactly the same in the dream I had. The same eye shape, the same coloring, the same body distortions, and more. They are identical. And the pony that I saw, that threatened me in the dream, looked similar as well, just in a more three-dimensional way. This is getting creepy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A few hours later, around 3:15 P.M., I get up from my desk, and boot down my old computer. I look at my watch to discover it’s time to go visit that odd lady that called me last night. I picked up my car keys on the coat rack and head out the door, locking it behind me.

The building my office is located in is rather old, made in the early 1900’s. It was a repurposed apartment block, now office complex. A rather old and not quite packed office complex. It’s the reason why I chose the place so I could get peace and quiet. As I walk down the small and green carpeted hallway, I pass by a couple of windows, looking out to the street below.

The town I live and work in is sort of a city, but you won’t be seeing any skyscrapers. It’s an old town, with old ghosts living in its buildings. The streets are wide, and brick paved, and the street lamps are based off of those old oil lamps from back when. Store fronts dominate the front of the buildings, and the occasional pedestrian walks by, breaking the illusion of the old town.

I wave bye to the attendant of the building, an old and cranky lady that I never bothered to remember the name of. I push open the glass door, and step outside. The rain had stopped from last I checked, but the clouds in the sky refuse to clear, hiding the sun. My car was down the road, in a parking building with only two floors. I head down there, and find my car in the back of the building, first floor.

It was relatively new. Not like those fancy cars that run on electricity. It has a traditional shape to it, but the name of the brand never seems to click, so I cannot remember the name. I don’t exactly care, considering that I am not much of a car person, but at least it gets me where I want to go.

I click the ‘unlock’ button on my key, and the drivers side of the cars door unlocks, allowing me to swing it open, sit, and shut it. I reach for the key slot when I heard someone talking.

“...You can’t be serious?”

“Does it look like I’m joking!? I saw a damn horse just drag a poor girl down the street!”

I look out the back window of my car, noticing two men in long button coats walking down towards the back of the parking area, where I am.

“That’s outrageous!” says the man on my left. “A horse? What time is it, the 1700’s!?”

“That doesn’t matter, last week the freaky little creature just dragged her down the street, and into a dark alley! I could have sworn it looked at me, and when it did, oh boy, I felt a cold breeze fly by. The town is cursed, I tell yah.”

“Just because of a few disappearances, and a horse dragging off a girl, doesn’t mean the place is cursed. Go back to your science fiction novels, mate.”

“Ah, screw you!”

The men hop into a black four seater next to mine, and I pretend to fumble with the keys so they don’t find out I was eavesdropping through the window. They eventually drive out of the lot, and I sigh. Those men didn’t sound insane, and the case I was on certainly fit the bill of what they were talking about.

I turn the key into ignition, and look at a sticky note I wrote the woman’s address on. I memorize the address, and pull out of the garage, heading down the road towards her house.

When I arrive at the destination, I get a good look at the house. It is a two story victorian suburbs house. Recently built, probably had ten years under its belt. I park in the driveway to its attached garage, and turn off the car, stepping out. I take a quick look at the neighboring homes, and walk up to the door, knocking on it.

A muffled “One moment, please!” comes from inside, and I shuffle my feet to stand upright. Eventually, the source of the voice reaches the door after a few minutes, and it unlocks, unveiling a woman.

She had blonde, straight hair with brown eyes and a forced smile on her lipstick-smeared lips.

“You must be the detective?”

“Indeed. May I come in?”

She looks behind herself, revealing to me that she was expecting someone to be behind her, and that she was either hiding something, or was severely paranoid. I frown as she takes a moment before she turns back to me.

“Uh- yes, yes! Please come in, head to the kitchen down the hall, I’ll get you some coffee.”

“Thank you, miss.”

I take off my hat, and place it on a rack next to the door. I take a look at the hallway, examining the red and pink carpet on the floor, the shoe closet, and so forth. Once in the kitchen, I sit myself down at a marble table, dominating the center of the room, next to a sliding door heading out into the backyard. To the right of the table, a granite topped counter, along with a dishwasher, and sink, along with a modern oven, sat unused, seemingly all day. The counter shows signs of use, and looking at the remains of the food prepared, the most recent food the house owners had were vegetables. They eat healthy, I suppose.

The woman eventually walks into the kitchen, and heads for a cabinet next to a stainless steel fridge, reaching for coffee bags and a water pitcher. She heads over to the coffee machine next to the sink, below the window that reveals the backyard, and pours the water in, along with the bag. She turns it on, and the machine slowly begins to create warm coffee.

I form a smile on my face when the woman looks at me. She is kinda pretty.

I attempt to break the silence. “So, if you don’t mind, could I ask a few questions about your missing daughter?”

She begins to say something, but then stops herself. “O-Of course! Ask away, i’m listening.”

My mouth twitches to a frown for a split second. but I continue. “When was your daughter taken?”

“On wednesday, around 2:45 P.M. She was walking home when the... pony thing came from an alley, and bit into her shirt neck, and dragged her off.”

“How do you know this?”

“A few witnesses told the police, who told me.”

Seemed alright. The file I got from a few friends in the force sent me the whole interrogation. According to the file I read three times, the story fit.

“Okay, do you know why the... ah pony took your daughter?”

“No, she was always a quiet one, never got into trouble. This would be the most least expected thing to ever happen.”

“Do you know what the pony looked like?”

The woman thinks for a moment, and stares out the window.

“Well, I don’t know, the thing moved too fa-”

“Mom?”

A new and lighter voice reverberates from the stairway, and the woman turns pale. I go to get up, but the woman puts her hand up, saying nothing, and heads towards the voice.

I am not sitting down when for some reason the daughter has returned- or even existed -so I get up and try to follow without her noticing. I stand in the hallway, hearing the two mumble to one another. I could not hear what they are saying, so I lean inwards, trying to get a look. The woman is blocking her daughter from view, and I could barely hear the conversation.

“...I told you to stay in your room...”

“...I didn’t know it was...”

“...back to your room, i’ll be up...”

After they finish talking, I notice something that threw me off guard.

A swish of a maroon colored tail.

My eyes go wide with astonishment as the daughter comes into full view when she heads back for the stairs. Or rather, it isn’t the daughter, but a small, and unreasonably adorable, pony.

It had a light purple-pink fur covering its body, and its mane was a pastel maroon, along with its tail. It’s eyes were really large, making little sense as to how it fit in her head, and her head was slightly too big, throwing off the proportions of the body. What made the least amount of sense, was that this creature had wings.

It flapped them subconsciously at her sides, causing a light breeze heading towards my legs. I finally showed myself to the two when I say out loud, “What... the hell?!”

The woman and the pony both went wide eyed, or really the pony’s irises shrinked to pinpricks. I finally noticed how large her irises were before I showed myself.

The woman turns to me, and stutters uncontrollably. “Uh, uh.. uh-uh...?”

I really wanted answers. “What is that?”

The pony was slightly irritated by being called ‘that’, and spoke. “Hey! I’m right here!”

I jumped when it talked, expecting it to be incapable of the action. “Wha- it can talk!?”

“Of course I can talk, i’m not stupid or anything!”

The woman looks at the pony, and says, “Ashley, shh!”

‘Ashley’ looks at her supposed mom. “It’s too late mom, he saw me.”

The woman begins to tear up, and I try to calm down at the sight. I look towards her. “Who is this...?”

The woman tries to reply through her sobbing. “My... my daughter...”

“This obviously isn’t your daughter ma’am, who or what is it?”

“She... is my... daughter...”

I look at her sad face, realizing that she isn’t lying. I look towards the pony, who is looking at the carpet floor with a saddened look on her face.

“This... is your daughter?” I try to confirm.

The woman continues to sob, and I kneel over the pony.

“What happened...?”

The pony looks up, and looks into my eyes with her large turquoise eyes.

“I don’t know... I got caught by this shadow with its teeth, and it dragged me into an alley... next thing I knew I woke up in the forest outside of the suburbs... like this...”

I reach out and touch the apparently human girl turned pony, and the woman screams,

“NO!”

She reaches out, and pulls my arm away after I touch her.

“What, what is it?”

“Did it hurt?”

“What hurt?”

“When you touched her...”

“Uh..”

When I touched her, all I felt was the extremely soft fur on her back.

“No...?”

The woman went wide eyed, and backed away from me.

“No... not you too...”

“Uh, what? What, is something wrong with me?”

The woman sobs even more, and sits down on the staircase.

“You’re already becoming like my daughter...”

I start to get really worried, as I look at my hand that touched the pony. I ask about what she meant, but she just continues to sob, and mumble about how there is no help, and more.

I look towards Ashley, the pony, and ask, “What does she mean, ‘be like you’?”

She has a look of empathy on her face. “I’m sorry.”

I’m starting to become really frightened for my health.

“What is happening to me?”

“You’re going to turn into something like me, a... pony... thing.”

I stand up, and fall onto my ass. I can’t stand up. This has to be a lie, this is literally impossible. How can I be turning into one of this tiny creatures? I don’t feel any...

Immediately the thought subsided when I noticed I started to form a headache. I hold my head, the pain growing stronger. Throughout the severe, and thought blinding headache, my whole body tingled. The top of my forehead began to throb painfully, and I could vaguely make out something was... poking out of my head...

I felt the area around there, finding a long, slightly ridged horn sticking out of the top of my forehead. I groan in pain, and then giggle. “Heheh... heh.” and with that, I passed out cold onto the floor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing happened in my subconscious in the last few hours, as I woke up to the sound of a T.V. news station broadcasting the local news. I open my eyes, and squint at the unfamiliar surroundings that I find myself in. It looks like a small living room, and the roof above is slanted into a triangle going upwards, forming the roof from the outside.

I sit up, scratching my chin as I look around. I was laying on a rough, red couch. The room was carpeted with grey and to my right was an electric fireplace. To my left was a smaller, similar couch, and up front, leaning against the wall, was an old fat T.V. with the average male news anchorman saying something about an alert...

I rub my temples, groaning. My head hurts... what happened? I was with the mother- Christina was it? The daughter... was it just a dream? My head felt lopsided, so I fought against gravity to keep my head up while I tried to figure out what happened. The lopsided feeling never went away, and then I felt a slight sensation at the top of my head.

Oh...

It wasn’t a dream then.

At the top of my forehead was a pale tanish colored horn. Slightly a bit stubby, but it was there.

I felt the alien appendage with my left hand, trying to find if it is real, and not just taped or glued onto me. I highly doubted that anyone would have had pranked me, as I began to remember what happened. There was a horn on my head, and- wait, what’s up with my hair?

My hair seemed to be many shades brighter than what my usual hair color is. It is now a light brown, and upon further examination of the strands of hair in my face, it is MUCH longer than before. Hair doesn’t grow down into your eyes in a few hours, this is getting scary for me and my sanity.

I get up. I need to find a mirror. When I took a few steps, it felt like my legs were jello, they felt as though they were not strong enough to carry my weight anymore. Never the less, I kept moving.

It seemed as though I was still in Christina’s house, as I walk into the kitchen, which is directly connected to the living room I woke up in. The coffee that was in the making was done, but no longer warm enough for any sleepiness to be banished. I sigh, and set my eyes for anything that seemed like a bathroom.

When I headed for the stairs, I find Christina sitting on the staircase. She looks up at me, then the horn on my head, then back at me.

“You’re awake then?”

I felt very awkward, and replied, “Uh- yeah, i'm awake.”

She forces a smile, then stands. “I’m very sorry, this is really unexpected... are you going to be alright?”

I take a moment to think. According to what my memory tells me, i’m being turned into a small horse. Not just any horse, though. This horse, or pony, is cartoony, sentient, and very colorful. And judging from what I saw... I’m not turning precisely into what Christina’s daughter looks like. There is a horn on my head. That’s just the start...

“I’m not sure, miss- er Christina, I meant. How can I be alright, when I have this,” I point to the horn on my head, “sticking out of me?” I say, though which when I look back upon, I said it in a bit of a rude tone.

“I’m really sorry, detective. I wish I could help, but I don’t know what is happening. I’ve even started to see my neighbors turn into these things.”

I look up, with confusion on my face. “You mean this isn’t just me, or your daughter?”

She frowns as she look towards the door leading outside. “Yes, it looks as though the whole neighborhood is turning into... ponies.”

I look out the styled glass in the doorway, staring out into the empty streets of the neighborhood. “And your daughter? How is she?”

“She is sleeping now, though I can only wonder how she can deal with it.”

“How old is she?”

“Sixteen, Nolan. May I call you Nolan?”

“Yes, that is fine.”

She nods, and heads for the kitchen. I take one more glance at the street, and take my hat off the rack, and place it on my head. Might as well just pretend, eh? The hat is slightly lopsided from the horn, but it hides it well enough. I walk towards the kitchen after Christina.

I sit down in a chair at the table. I begin to formulate questions in my head. Just because I am turning into a mutant thing doesn’t mean I am going to stop my investigation.

Something dawns on me, as I look at Christina. She seems normal enough. She did also say that the neighborhood is pretty much ponified now, but why not her?

“Christina, I must ask, why aren’t you a pony, like your daughter?”

The mother makes a frown, and seems to be lost in thought for a few minutes. I sat there, waiting for her reply.

“I... don’t really know. I felt sensations of a loss of my center of gravity and all that, and sometimes I find myself on the floor, but... I don’t know. I guess it’s different for everyone, how fast it is?”

That would explain why I am not a quadruped pastel pony right now, at the very least.

“I suppose...”

I suddenly remember the strange little note written in symbols in my coat pocket, and I reach into my coat to grab it while Christina washed out the coffee machine. I look over the ‘letters’ and finally decide to ask. “Do you know what this says, miss Christina?”

I show her the letter, and she looks over the paper. “This looks familiar, when my daughter was at school before this started she wrote these things on her english papers.” She chuckled. “She failed the paper, even when she said it was proper English.”

I look at the paper, then think about what Christina said. “May I see your daughter, then? This could be important.”

She looks unsure of herself, but nods anyway. “She’s just upstairs, second door to your left, down the hall.”

I get up, and nod to the mother as I push the chair in, and walk down the hall to the stairs. Once up, I follow her directions and find the door to Ashley’s room, which was closed. I push it open quietly, and step inside.

The room wasn’t really a typical sixteen year old girls room. It was slightly smaller than my own office, and had a window at the back. To the right was a closet that stored all of her clothes, which didn’t really fit her anymore, and to my left was a desk with a laptop on it. At the far left corner was a bed with purple flower blankets on top, and a floral covering sticking out at the bottom. On top of the bed, under thin layers of blankets, was Ashley.

She seemed to notice me walk in, and raised her head to meet me. “What is it, i’m trying to sleep...”

I take a few steps in, leaving the door open and holding the paper in my hand. This was a bit surreal, trying to talk to a creature that was fully aware of me, and could talk. I almost forgot why I was there to begin with, but snapped out of it and said, “Hello, Ashley, is it? I’m Nolan, private detective. I am here to figure out why this is happening to you...”

“It’s happening to you too, you know that, right?”

I frown, upsetted of being reminded of the alien object that is connected to my head under my hat. I shake the thought aside, and continue. “I’m here to ask you a couple of questions, or rather, to help me with a clue that I found before I came here. Does this look familiar, in any way?” I show her the mass of symbols on the paper, and her eyes seem to scroll through them.

“Yeah, it’s a note. For you.”

“What does it say?”

“You mean you can’t read? How did you get through school?”

That caught me off guard a bit. She seems to think that this is just normal english writing. How odd.

“This is written in symbols that I, nor your mother, understand. You wrote like this a while ago, and we can’t figure out what it says. Only you can read it, so can you please tell me what it says?”

She sighs, and leans her large head in, scrolling over the letters with her large eyes.

“Nolan, I hope you have figured out how to read this, for this is important. I can no longer write in our language, as this is now what I have come to know as Equestrian, a native language used in a far off world called Equestria. By now, I hope you have figured out what this is, and what is happening. Your world is being converted. It will start with your town, and soon the whole world will be in this new land. Dark Light wants to bring the whole world down on top of Equestria, destroying the old world, and bringing us to theirs. I don’t know what he plans to do with us there, but I can tell you that it will end with bloodshed. He is insane, and he has special plans to deal with the rulers of Equestria. When you read this, I will be dead by the hands of Dark. You have the chance to stop this future of happening, for us, and for them. Like I said, it will start for your town. There is no stopping it, but it will bring you to him. Find him, stop him, and most importantly, make sure he can’t do it again. You know what that means.

I wish I could have warn you sooner,

Benji Froman,

Ph.D in astrophysics, and bluespace.”

I sit down in a chair next to the bed. Benji... I remember that name. He was in that dream I had yesterday... So he was real... and he is dead. Shit.
Ashley the winged pinkish purple pony looks to the side of the paper, and squints. “There is more on the back, detective.”

I look at the back of the paper. It seemed as if nothing is there... but...

I flip the paper over for her to see, and she looks over the invisible letters.

“P.S. You must meet somepony. She was from Equestria, and seems to know quite a whole lot. Look for her at the alley to the old movie theatre.”

“Somepony? Who talks like that?” Ashley complains, and I frown for the umpteenth time today. At least I have some kind of lead now.

“Thanks for the help, Ashley. Don’t give your mother too trouble, okay?”

The small pony rolls her eyes and scoffs.

I grin and walk out of her room, back down the stairs, and head to the kitchen. Christina was still there, washing out the coffee basin in the sink.

“It looks like I am done here, i’ll see you later Christina. Have a good day.”

She looks up from her cleaning and smiles warmly. “You too, detective. Be safe.”

I nod, and head for her door, back outside. I open my car door and when I was about to sit down, I felt a pang of pain from the top of my head. I hit my horn on the top of the door when I sat down.

“Agh, shit...”

My hat fell off during the event, revealing my horn. I quickly swiped up my hat, placed it on my head, and bent down to prevent that same thing from happening again. The pain continues however, but after a moment, it just feels like the horn is vibrating. I reach for my keys, only to find that they were floating in my face, covered in a tanish glow.

I spasm and slightly scream from the sight, I thought my keys were possessed by a ghost or something. It just floats there, covered in the dim glow. I calm down, and poke my keys floating in mid-air. Suddenly, as soon as I touched it, my horn stops vibrating and the glow fades, dropping the keys into my lap.

I look at my keys with new interest. I take one and two together, and then realize, “Did... I do that?” I shake my head. “No, that will be a whole new set of weird.” I rub my temple, feeling a slight headache. I’ve had enough for today, so I pick up my keys and turn my car into ignition, and drive my ass out of there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at my office, I place my hat and coat on the rack near my door. My headache had gotten worse on the way here, to the point where it was vibrating in pain. I groan, and trip into the pile of copy paper on the floor. My leg spasms, kicking my door shut, and I begin to feel tingles throughout my body. My hands force themselves into a sort of cup like form, forcing the tips of my fingers out in front of me.

I could have sworn I heard strange, alien laughter form in my head as my fingers began to merge together, forming one big, single digit on both hands. Soon, my nails began to form over this new digit, completely covering it in its material. I scream in terror as my shoes break in half as my feet enlarge, and my toes begin to merge together as well, along with my nails forming over the single digit on both of my feet.

I was ready to crack, screaming at the top of my lungs as my skull begins to grow in size, and my mouth is being forced forward into a small muzzle. My screams grow high pitched, as something in my throat began to rearrange my vocal chords in the most painful way possible. Something is happening here, more than being turned into a pony.

My eyes grow large to accommodate my large head, and soon enough my body began to shrink at an alarming rate. During this, the laughter continues, and bright, pale tan fur began to form over my entire body. My hair grows down all over my face and back of my neck, in bright brown/blonde hair. Soon after, the bottom of my spine cracks, and muscle and hair grow out just above my expanding butt, forming a tail. My voice starts to lose its power as it cracks under much use. Finally, enough was enough for whatever decided to wrack pain and suffering upon me, and I lay there in the aftermath of what just happened.

I pant from pure exhaustion as I lay there, trying to ignore the whole ordeal. I suddenly became aware of something even more wrong with me. Something was missing...

Oh god no.

I became fully aware of the fact that there was a painfully large amount of emptiness between my legs.

Nononononononononononono...

I giggle in insanity in a high pitched, girly voice, and pass out on the floor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------