• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 20,308 Views, 1,646 Comments

Moving Day - Timothy48



Moving is hard, especially when it's to another country, and it becomes doubly difficult when you move there unexpectedly and against your will.

  • ...
57
 1,646
 20,308

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30 (This Old Barn)

Chapter 30

It was Wednesday morning, and Allen had been busy getting animals fed and things in the hay/storage barn moved around so that they wouldn’t be in the way of Rune Chisel when he came by for his initial inspection. Unfortunately, some of the things Allen needed to move were too heavy to do by hand, which meant he was forced to use his family’s skid loader, and that meant using up precious fuel.

Allen had already run the numbers, and based on his rough calculations, he figured he might have enough fuel to get him through this year's hay season. However, that was if he only used the fuel for the hay-making process, and not for anything else. Every drop of fuel that he burned for something else was one less drop for making hay, and by extension, money.

He’d looked to see if it was possible to plant regular row crops, such as corn or soybeans, but the numbers just didn’t add up. He’d run out of fuel long before he managed to harvest all of his crops, and then he’d really be in trouble. As it was, he was going to have to find ways to stretch his fuel supply as far as he could. The good news was that all of his equipment, save for a few pieces, ran on diesel, and they were all old enough that they didn’t require DEF to run as well, which was a huge load off of his mind.

Maybe I can try and see if I can use cooking oil to help stretch my diesel supplies. I remember Twilight mentioned that Ponyville had some kind of fast food restaurant that just opened up, maybe they would be willing to let me have their used fryer oil, he mused to himself as he carefully pulled the old Farmall Super M out of the barn with the Bobcat.

Letting the tractor roll to a gentle stop to one side of the door, Allen got out and unhooked the tow chain from it, and placed a couple of pieces of wood under the back and front tires to keep the machine from rolling away by accident. Dropping the chain into the skid loader’s bucket, Allen climbed into the cab and shut the glass door before lifting the bucket and heading back in for another load.

Time passed quickly and before long, Allen was finished. Parking the skid loader back in its spot in one of the machine sheds, Allen had just finished turning the engine off when he noticed that he had company.

“Mr. Chisel, glad you could make it,” greeted Allen as he took off his work gloves and stuffed them into his back pocket before offering the Canterlot unicorn his hand.

Taking the proffered hand, Rune Chisel gently shook his hoof and gave Allen a shallow nod in greeting. “Hello, Mr. Ross, I know we’re a little early, but the train down from Canterlot wasn’t delayed like usual, so we made good time.”

Releasing Rune’s hoof, Allen looked around but saw only Rune Chisel and the two-wheeled cart he’d brought. Cocking an eyebrow, he asked, “Who else is with you? I don’t see anyone else here but you right now.”

“I brought two of my sons with me, Spell Matrix and Silver Filigree, they should be along later, they said they had something to do in Ponyville. When they get finished they should be along. In the meantime, why don’t you show me the building we’ll be looking over,” explained Rune with a toss of his head towards Ponyville.

“Ah, I see,” replied Allen simply with a nod of his head in understanding, “Well hopefully they don’t take too long then,” turning, he pointed to the large barn behind him and waving a hand said, “This is the barn, I just finished moving some things out of the way so that you can get a better look at it.”

“Well, thank you,” replied Rune as he and Allen made their way inside. Coming to a stop, Rune quickly unhooked himself from his cart and grabbed several tools, slotting them into loops on his harness. Giving himself a little shake to settle everything, he slowly surveyed the inside of the building and pulling out a measuring tape, said, “Well, I suppose I better get to work, if you see my sons, just point them in my direction.”

“You don’t need me to stick around?” asked Allen as Rune set to work.

The unicorn artisan shook his head. “If I need you for anything, I’ll come and find you. No offense, but I prefer it if my customers don’t bother me or get in my way while I’m working, it makes for fewer distractions and potential mistakes that way.”

“I see,” replied Allen with an understanding nod, “well, in that case, I’ll be puttering around working on equipment most likely. If you hear any loud droning noises, that’ll probably be me moving stuff around.”

Rune Chisel simply gave a wave that he understood, and continued his work. Seeing that there was nothing further for him to do, Allen left and headed for the machine sheds, intent on inspecting and making his machines ready for this year's hay season.

Several hours later and Allen was finished. Wiping the sweat from his forehead, he set his grease gun on a nearby workbench. Giving an almighty stretch, he felt a few of his joints pop in a satisfying manner, and letting loose a contented groan, he went to go check up on Rune Chisel.

Trotting across the yard, he noticed that another pair of carts had shown up in the time that he’d been working. Walking into the barn, Allen spotted the trio of unicorns in the far corner. In addition to Rune Chisel, Allen could see Spell Matrix rummaging around in a toolbox for something, while a silver-colored unicorn sporting a pair of silver-rimmed glasses jotted down notes on a small notepad.

Looking up from his toolbox, Spell spotted Allen and with a friendly wave called out, “Hi Allen! How’s it going?”

“Hey Spell, and not too bad all things considered,” replied Allen simply with a wave of his own.

Looking up from his work, Rune Chisel nodded in greeting. “Coming to see how things are going?” he asked.

Allen nodded. “Yeah, I just finished looking over and greasing my equipment and I saw a new pair of carts out front of my barn, so I thought I’d swing by on my way to the house and see how it was going.”

Rune grunted, his lips turned down in a frown. “Well, from what I’ve seen so far, it’s not looking good.”

Allen grimaced, as judging by Rune’s tone, he wasn’t going to like what he had to say. “How bad is it?” he asked cautiously.

Still frowning, Rune floated a worn notepad in front of him and replied, “Well, some of the edges of the foundation are crumbling and cracked in places. In addition, there are several cracks running the width of the foundation from frost heave. Whoever poured this foundation didn’t do a good job at leveling and compacting the ground underneath before they poured, and thus the cracks. Not only that, but you’ve got leaks in your roof from where some of the nails have come loose, plus there are gaps everywhere that allow birds and insects inside, not to mention ground critters being able to squeeze under the sliding doors and walls. Basically, from my calculations, it’s going to cost more for us to try and ward this barn in its current condition than it would for you to either have this one renovated or another one built properly and warded afterward.”

“Really? I would think the opposite would be true, I mean, can’t you just carve the runes into the cement and rafters?” asked Allen.

Rolling his eyes, Rune shook his head. “It’s not so easy as carving a rune into something, filling it with the proper metal, and bespelling it. Think of it like this, would you build a house on a bad foundation?”

“Well, no obviously,” replied Allen with a shake of his head.

“Well, the same thing applies for runework. This,” he said tapping the concrete with a hoof, “is crumbling and cracked in places. That means any runes carved into it would be inherently weak due to the degradation of the materials and would risk shorting out due to a gap in the materials opening up. Plus, carving runes into already hardened cement is a pain anyways. Now, we could have somepony come and rip up the floor and pour a new one, but that still won’t get rid of the rest of the problems with this barn, namely, the large amount of ingress points for animals and the parts of the roof that leak. While it’s true we could just put up animal wards everywhere, that gets expensive. It's much better to use physical barriers where possible and have the runes cover the rest,” he explained.

Allen sighed but conceded the point with a nod. “So what do you recommend? I can’t imagine a new barn is going to be cheap or quick to put up.”

Rune Chisel smirked. “You’d be surprised, though,” he looked around at the metal pole barn and said, “If you really want, we can fix this barn up, but it might take just as long as putting up a new one, and there is the chance it will be more expensive.”

“By how much?” asked Allen as he mulled over his options.

“It depends on how much of the old material can be saved, these metal panels look like steel. Though I don’t recognize the alloy. If my youngest son were here, he could probably figure it out, he’s got a talent for metal casting and alloy mixing. As it stands, we’ll need some samples to make sure we have a fill material for the runes that will be warding the walls that aren't going to be incompatible with this metal.”

“I’ve got a couple of scrap pieces laying around that you can take with you,” replied Allen helpfully.

Rune gave Allen a thankful nod. “I appreciate it, having some scrap metal to test with will be very helpful. Of course, that brings us to the cost of material and labor, both of those vary depending on location. I’ll need a couple of days to figure out the rough estimates for both routes and to source the needed things.”

Allen nodded, an unhappy look on his face, he had been hoping that Rune could just carve a couple of runes and drop some molten metal in the grooves before enchanting them and calling it a day, but apparently, that wasn’t going to happen. Sighing, he said, “Alright, see what you can find out for both options. I’d like to see what kind of new designs you guys can come up with too and what they’ll cost as well if that’s not too much trouble.”

“Shouldn’t be,” replied Rune with a shake of his head. “As I said, give me a few days and I’ll see what I can find. I should have something for you by Friday if that’s okay?”

“Yeah, that should be fine,” replied Allen before then turning his attention to the only other pony who he hadn’t been properly introduced to yet. “So I take it that this is your other son then?”

Rune nodded, a proud smile on his face. “This is my second oldest, Silver Filigree, he handles the more delicate runework now that my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, along with taking care of the finances when I’m too busy.”

“Greetings, and salutations,” greeted Silver, as he used his magic to readjust his round silver-framed glasses, and to move an errant lock of his black and silver striped mane out of the way of his gold-colored eyes.

“Well it’s nice to meet you,” replied Allen with a wave.

“And you as well, though, if there is nothing further you wished to discuss, I believe we should be going,” replied Silver as he glanced up at the sky through the open doors and saw that the sun was well into the afternoon. “We have quite a few things to do, right father?”

Nodding, Rune carefully began packing his things into his cart. “That we do,” quickly finishing, he turned and offered Allen a hoof, “As I said, we’ll do some asking around and see what we can come up with, if it’s alright with you, we’d like to be able to bring ponies out here to get a look at your barn so that they can give their own opinion on the matter.”

“That’ll be fine, so long as they’re with you and don’t go poking around elsewhere,” replied Allen as he watched Rune and his two sons strap themself into their individual carts and start trotting.

Falling in beside the group, Allen commented, “Honestly, it’d be a real shame if we had to tear that barn down, most of the material is still good, even if it’s a bit worn in spots.”

“Most likely we won’t have to tear it down, Allen,” replied Spell, “honestly, I think my father is being a bit pessimistic when it comes to the barns suitability for hay storage, but he doesn’t like to underestimate what a project might cost.”

Rune nodded. “I’ve always found that when I underestimate, it causes problems, and while the original estimation might cause some ponies to pass on our business initially, they usually end up coming back anyways when the other guy goes over budget or cuts corners.”

“Father hates cutting corners,” commented Silver quietly.

Rune snorted in frustration. “It’s short-sighted and stupid, if you’re planning on building something and want it to last, then you should build it right the first time. These days however it seems as if everypony is only thinking about today, and not about tomorrow and what a bad job will cost in terms of fixing in the future.”

Allen nodded in agreement. “Amen to that,” he said as the group reached the end of Allen’s driveway.

Looking back over his withers, Rune waved goodbye and said, “Well, unless you’re planning on walking with us all the way to town, I guess this is where we part ways.”

Chuckling, Allen replied, “As much as the exercise will do me good, my stomach is telling me it’s time for supper, so I think I’ll pass this time.”

His lips turning up in a small smile, Rune gave a final nod and started trotting back towards town, his two sons also bidding their farewells and falling in behind their father.

Allen watched the trio of unicorns grow smaller in the distance before deciding to check his mailbox for any mail. The mayor had been out a couple of weeks ago and had informed him that his property had finally been given an address and that his records were properly filed at town hall. Shortly thereafter, mail had started arriving, most of it was the usual junk mail, advertisements, magazine subscription offers, and so on.

Opening the mailbox, Allen noticed that in addition to the usual junk mail, there was something else.

A letter, from Blueblood? He thought as he turned the fancy-looking envelope over in his hands inspecting it. It had a red wax seal with what Allen assumed was the coat of arms for Blueblood’s noble house stamped on it, while on the back was his name and address in flowing golden-colored script.

Tearing it open, Allen pulled the expensive-looking letter out and began to read.

Dear Allen,

I hope this letter finds you well. Things are progressing nicely on my end in regards to the founding of our new business venture, and you will be pleased to note that the bits that I have allocated to you per our agreement should have arrived at the local bank by now. This will be in addition to the bits promised to you by the government as compensation. Thus, if my calculations are correct, you should have 140,000 bits currently at your disposal. Please spend them wisely as I have no further bits to give you and neither does The Crown at this time either. Finally, I have enclosed another letter in this envelope, it is intended for Ms. Farthing, so please make sure that she gets it post-haste.

Sincerely,

Blueblood

Looking in the opened envelope, Allen spotted a smaller one resting inside and pulling it out, noticed that it was addressed to Penny in the same flowing golden script. Tucking the rest of the mail under one arm, he closed the mailbox and headed for the house, rereading his letter as he went.

“Well, at least I don’t have to worry about paying Rune with an I.O.U note in the near future, so that’s one less thing to worry about anyways,” he said to himself as he stepped through the front door and laid the mail on the dining room table for sorting later. Looking around, he idly tapped his chin as his stomach rumbled in hunger and muttered, “Now, what do I want to eat? I’m thinking... steak, yeah, a nice steak sounds good right now.” With his decision made, Allen set to work fixing himself something to eat.

Several hours later, Allen was kicked back and relaxing in his easy chair. He’d fixed and eaten his supper, cleaned the dishes, and now he was taking it easy for the rest of the night before bed. The sound of the front door opening and closing caused him to perk up and crane his neck to look over the back of the easy chair to see who was clip-clopping through his home.

“Hey Penny,” he called out when he saw his temporary housemate, “how’d it go, you find a place yet?”

Setting her saddlebags on the dining room table, she pulled out the pins holding her mane up in a bun and gave herself a shake, her auburn-colored hair flowing over her neck and withers.

“I did,” she replied as she grabbed a glass from one of the cupboards and poured herself some water from the tap. “The best part is that it’s a two-story shop with an apartment on the second floor, so I will only need to purchase a single property instead of two. If everything goes right, I should be moved in by Saturday, and open for business on Monday.”

“Well that’s great news, where is the building located?” asked Allen with a smile, pleased that Penny was able to secure herself an office and home so quickly and easily.

Swallowing her sip of water, Penny replied, “It’s across from the bank, on the corner of Saddle St. and Market Lane, it gives a lovely view of the market square and is within easy trotting distance of Sugarcube Corner, the best part is that the realtor told me the previous owners had put sound dampening runes in so the noise from the market won’t be an issue either.”

“Glad to hear that you found a place that you like, you gonna need any help getting moved in?” asked Allen curiously.

Penny shook her head. “I’ve already made arrangements, but thanks for the offer, Allen.”

“I figured it was the least I could do, considering all of the help that you’ve given me since we met,” replied Allen sincerely.

“Just doing my job Allen, nothing more. In any case, I see that His Grace sent you a letter, good news I hope?”

“Oh yeah, the money he promised me came in,” commented Allen as he suddenly remembered Blueblood’s letter and by extension his request, “and I almost forgot to tell you, Blueblood sent you a letter too, let me get it real quick,” he said as he levered himself out of his chair and strode over to the dining room table to sift through the mess of ads and junk mail before finding what he was looking for. Turning around, he handed Penny her letter and said, “Here it is, I’d completely forgotten about it, just came today.”

Taking the letter in her magic, she carefully opened it and began to read, after a minute, she put the letter done and gave a satisfied nod. Allen, curious as to the letter's contents asked, “So, what did he say?”

“Hmm? Oh, he was just informing me that he has finished updating my employment file and adjusting my pay to match my new position accordingly. That, and he sent me a check to cover my moving costs as well,” she replied as she folded the letter back up and slipped it back into its envelope. Setting it back on the table, she turned to Allen and asked, “So how did your meeting with Rune Chisel go?”

Allen sighed, as he ran a hand frustratedly through his hair. “Not as well as I was hoping. He basically said that we’d need to rebuild the barn in order to do the job right, and he thinks that it’s going to cost more than I was hoping it would, though he wouldn’t give me an exact estimate yet as he needs to talk to some other ponies and see how much they’re going to charge for labor and materials.”

Penny’s ears fell flat as she scrunched up her muzzle in sympathetic frustration. “Well, that sucks, did he say why the barn needed so much work?”

Allen nodded. “Yeah, the concrete foundation isn’t in good enough shape to carve runes into it, and besides, he said that it would be harder to carve them into concrete that’s already been set in comparison to concrete that’s still wet and pliable. Plus the roof has some leaks in it and there are more places for animals to get in than he likes to see. He said he should have all the numbers by Friday though, and that he tends to overestimate how much a job is gonna cost as he doesn’t like to underbid and be forced to cut corners to stay within budget.”

Penny nodded in understanding. “A lot of traditional runesmiths are like that... or well, they used to be at any rate. They’ll say the job costs more than it might, thus giving them more wiggle room if something comes up. Usually, if there is any money left over, they’ll refund it to the customer. However, a lot of ponies these days are more concerned with saving a few bits up front than in the long term, and so ponies like Rune who take pride in their work and strive to do the job right the first time are getting priced out of the market.”

Allen nodded. “Yeah, he basically said the same thing. Regardless, we’ll just have to wait and see what the end total will be, and go from there.”

Penny hummed in agreement. “So,” she asked, “what were you doing?”

“Nothing, just laying in my easy chair here and staring at the TV,” replied Allen simply.

“That black screen over there?” asked Penny, pointing at the large flat-screen TV that was set above the fireplace.

“Yep.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask you what that thing is and what it does,” she replied, a curious look on her face, having never really had the time till now to ask Allen what some of his things did.

“Well, sit back and be amazed at the power of modern technology,” Allen replied grandiosely as he grabbed the remote control on the side table next to his chair and hit the power button. The TV came to life, the Samsung logo flashing across the fifty-inch screen as it booted up before it settled on the welcome screen. Navigating through the menu options, Allen selected the DVD player and hit okay. He hadn’t watched anything on the TV in a long time, so he couldn’t remember what the last movie they had in it was, if it even had anything in it, but considering that his sister had a habit of leaving movies in the DVD player, the chances were pretty good that it was either a Disney movie or one of his sister’s anime movies. As the main menu screen for the movie came up, Allen saw it was the latter, as he was greeted by the title, Porco Rosso, and the sight of a red seaplane flying across the screen played on a loop with music in the background.

Penny’s eyes were as wide as saucers and her jaw was doing its level best to hit the floor. “Wow,” she breathed quietly as she took in the sight before her. Turning to look at Allen, she adopted a cute, pleading look and asked, “Can we watch it, please?”

Looking up at the nearby clock, Allen could see it was just after eight, and since he wasn’t tired yet, he figured it would be a nice distraction. “Sure, have a seat,” he shrugged, pointing at the couch next to him.

Letting out the most adorable squee he’d ever heard, Penny did a little happy dance and jumped up on the couch before laying down much like a cat or dog would and eagerly awaited the beginning of the movie. Smirking at her antics, Allen hit the play button and upped the volume, before reclining back in his chair to enjoy the show.

As the main screen faded, and the movie began, Allen felt a little frown tug at the corners of his lips. This must have been the last movie that Laura watched before she and dad left to go see Aunt Sarah. God, it feels like forever ago since I saw them or heard their voices, I’ve been so busy and stressed out since I got here that I haven’t really had time to think of them... I miss them. Penny’s sudden laugh pulled Allen out of his funk and he gave himself a small shake, Don’t think about it Allen, just enjoy the movie and worry about getting back home later, Blueblood said they were working on getting me home, I just have to be patient.

Adjusting himself slightly to get more comfortable, Allen returned his focus back to the movie and let his worries fade into the background as he watched the story unfold. Glancing at Penny out of the corner of his eyes, he could see that she was enraptured by the movie, her teal eyes sparkling in wondrous joy at the novelty of watching a movie at home and in such high quality. Allen supposed that Equestrian entertainment wasn’t quite as advanced as what he had back home yet.

As the movie continued, he found himself reminded of his discussion with Ms. Cheerilee the day before, and thus his thoughts suddenly turned to the upcoming question and answer session on Monday at the Ponyville Schoolhouse and what he should bring. Obviously, he would be bringing some books and maps with him so that the class could see what his world looked like in comparison to their own. However, he didn’t think that would be enough, and so he thought about what else he might consider bringing.

I wonder if I can get that old CRT TV set to the schoolhouse? It’s a bit heavy, but if I had someone to help me move it there, it should be doable, plus I bet the kids there would love to see some of the shows that I watched as a kid. He mulled that thought over as the movie continued, I think it should still work, and I know I’ve still got that old VHS player buried around here somewhere. I bet they’d love to watch The Magic School Bus or The Berenstain Bears, though, I wonder if I still have any Schoolhouse Rock videos laying around, that might be another good one too... hmm, I’ll have to go do some digging tomorrow, see what I can find.

Shaking his head, he turned his attention back to the movie and settled in to enjoy it, his mind free of distractions for the time being. When the movie ended, Penny jumped up and started clapping her hooves in excitement exclaiming, “Oh that was wonderful! Can we watch another one Allen? Please?”

Chuckling, Allen shook his head and turned off the DVD player and the TV. “Sorry Penny, but it’s getting late, and I’m tired. Maybe we can watch something else tomorrow, though I’m afraid if I’m not careful, you might not want to leave, TV can be quite addicting.”

Pouting at being denied more TV, Penny begrudgingly nodded. “Alright, I suppose it is getting late.” Hopping down from the couch, she made her way upstairs, Allen following behind her, turning the lights off, one by one, and making sure the doors were locked for the night.

Reaching his bedroom door, Allen said, “Good night Penny, see you in the morning.”

“Good night Allen, you too, and thank you for letting me watch that movie with you, it was simply amazing,” she replied, a happy smile on her face.

“No problem and I’m glad you liked it,” replied Allen with a casual wave of his hand. “Night,” he said as he shut the door, a muffled reply, ‘you too’ followed by the shutting of the guest room door signaled the end of the day, and as Allen undressed and crawled into bed, he couldn’t help but think that despite the disappointing news regarding his barn, that today hadn’t been all that bad, and closing his eyes, he soon felt the magic of sleep take him to the realm of dreams.

Author's Note:

I apologize that this chapter took a week longer than I wanted it to. I work full time and so I don't generally have the will or energy to write when I get home a lot of the time, so the weekend is when I do the majority of my writing. Two weeks ago I was basically out of the house all day Saturday, so that cut my writing time in half, and then last weekend I got sick, (which meant no writing) and I'm still recovering, though thankfully it's just a residual cough at this point, annoying, but not debilitating.

In any case, I was hoping to do a bit more with this chapter, in regards to Allen's barn, but I felt that this was a good enough point to stop as I don't want you guys to wait another week for it. So you'll just have to wait for Allen's Friday meeting, which will be in the next chapter. Anyways, as always, I hope you enjoy it and I'll see you in the next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next