• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,606 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,606

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Radiance

It had taken her two weeks, but Seeker was finally at the border of Consortium space. The main reason for the delay was the bureaucratic resistance involved in a sanctioned border crossing. Getting permission from the Kel Morian ponies to bring a warship into Consortium space was a lengthy process that ordinarily took months. Since time was of the essence, bribes needed to be paid, promises needed to be made, valuable trade goods needed to be acquired, and forms had to be filled out. Seeker had no idea that being a Dark Templar could ever involve so much paper work.

Crossing illegally would have been a simple process, and regular enough occurrence that it would have gone ignored. The Kel Morians held the largest sub-sector of the sector, and the United Fleet was no where near large enough to catch all the illegal crossings. If Seeker wanted to, she could just fly through on a small shuttle and have free reign through out Consortium space. The UF probably wouldn’t go on a man hunt over such a small incursion.

But it wasn’t the UF she was worried about, as much as it was the numerous bands of pirates, rebels and mercenaries that would have made her easy prey. Consortium space was the capital of commerce for traders of every faction in the sector, but the further one gets from the capital, the more lawless things become. Pirate raids, as well as “legally sanctioned corporate acquisition of goods,” were common for anyone who didn’t travel with a strong escort. Well the UF did provide protection for traders traveling their space; it was only after a heavy trade tax, and an even longer wait list. The only way for Seeker to safely conduct her search for the wayward preserver was to bring a heavy escort of her own, and the only way the Kel-Morians would allow it is if they believed she was there on trade business.

With the Supreme Matriarchs blessing, she requisitioned the GAV (Golden Armada Vessel) Radiance for her investigation, as well as a number of small shuttles, and Khaydarin power cells to trade. The cargo shuttles and power cells were just part of a cover. The Khalai did occasionally trade with the Kel Morians, so a trade convoy wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. She would keep the true nature of her mission to herself.

The Radiance was a Mantis-class cruiser, based off an ancient Protoss design called a Void Ray. It was a balanced design built for multiple purposes ranging from escorting against fighter attack, orbital bombardment, and long range ship to ship bombardment. The Radiance was a long, flat, rectangular shaped ship, usually only crewed by about two hundred ponies, with robots used to fill most of the more mundane roles. On both its port and starboard sides was a hanger bay that ran through the ship, usually used for small shuttles, or fighters.

The ships bow had two Photonic Beam cannons on the left and right ends, as well as a third larger beam cannon between the two. Either of the two smaller beam cannons are able to fire their beams at different targets, allowing the mantis to quickly shoot down multiple small targets approaching from the front half of the cruiser, though they are unable to hit anything on the rear of the ship. Power from the two smaller cannons could be transferred to the main cannon, focusing a powerful beam able to damage even the largest of ships from a long range, though it could only fire on a ship directly in front of it.

The attack was mostly used to damage large, slow moving targets, while the smaller beam cannons would be used on anything else. Two missile launchers were mounted on the top side allowing for long range attacks in any direction. Lastly, two rapid fire photon cannons were mounted on the top portion of the ship, with two more on the bottom, providing good all around protection from smaller fighters.

Unlike the old prismatic beam cannons that required a Dark Templar to channel the beam, which could possibly kill the channeler and the crew, the new Photonic beam cannons were able to operate on the ships power alone. However just like the old void ray, if the situation called, a Dark Templar could channel his or her own void energies into the beam for an enhanced effect. Doing so still ran the risk of killing the channeler and destroying the ship.

While Seeker had the utmost confidence in the ship, it was in the crew she had her doubts in. The Golden Armada wasn’t too happy with being forced to give up one of their cruisers to such a young mare, especially a Dark Templar, but they had no choice in that matter. They did however have a choice in the crew she received. Rather than a battle tested crew, she was given augments from different ships through out the fleet. Usually crewmen whose skills were still untested and would not be missed.

The ship's captain was Overseer Starsong. He was a red unicorn, with green eyes and a blond mane. He sported a cutie mark of a sun surrounded by asteroids. He was a High Templar who had only recently been promoted to an overseer, and had never been put into any major leadership roles in the fleet before. Starsong knew that he was only given his promotion and command of his own ship because the Golden Armada was unwilling to give up any of their veteran commanders. He had served in several battles before, but never as the captain of his own ship.

He had served on ships that had run escorts in Consortium space before, so this was nothing new to him. The fact there was a Dark Templar along for a cargo exchange was nothing out of the ordinary. They were the only ones qualified to deal with the Kel-Morian traders, and used this opportunity as a form of training; to learn how to blend in with the other cultures. This was a mundane mission to say the least, but even so, he was determined to make the most of the situation and prove his worth.

Seeker could respect where the stallion was coming from. She too was still young and mostly untested. The only reason she had been given this assignment was because of her relationship with Sovereign which is what helped her track him down in the first place. But tracking down a young run away stallion within their own space wasn’t seen as a grand achievement. However tracking down a target in one of the most lawless regions of the sector might be just what she needed to prove her worth as a Dark Templar.

The Templar who escorted Sovereigns shuttle into Consortium space a few months back didn’t have much useful information other than his last known whereabouts. Seeker ordered the Radiance to travel to the nearest inhabited system to ask about any Khala vessels that had come by. Naturally the locals were less than cooperative without incentive. It was typical of the other ponies to be unwilling to assist unless they received some sort of personal compensation; it was the usual level of greed she had come to expect from Kel Morians.

Fortunately Seeker brought many Consortium bits with her, being fully aware of just how deep greed runs in Consortium space. The Khalai themselves had no use for currency within their society, but they used it to trade with the Consortium. If their bits ran dry, they could also always trade their power cells they were supposedly here to sell.

She had to give the Kel Morians credit for keeping accurate records of all ships passing through, even if it is just in hopes of being able to sell the information. There was a clear trail to follow so far; Seeker was pleased with the results of her investigation, knowing each world brought her one step closer to Sovereign.

Starsong on the other hand was less than pleased with the investigation's results. It had been six weeks since they had entered Consortium space, and so far there hadn't been any signs of any danger or excitement. A part of Starsong wished they would run into some of that famed Consortium pirate action, maybe a zerg nest, or perhaps they’d accidentally find themselves in the middle of Kel Morian mining dispute, which was known for ending in bloodshed.

Instead they had encountered six weeks of smooth sailing. It seemed his ship was being used as little more than a glorified personal transport for some mare who didn’t even trust him with the details of her mission in the first place. The crew had grown restless; they were Templar after all, and Templar are born warriors. They should be patrolling their borders for enemy incursion. Instead their talents were being wasted bribing and trading with merchants. Starsong had been patient long enough. If he was going to continue wasting time in Consortium space, he would need answers.

Seeker was busy studying some maps of the next world they would be visiting, listing all the star ports on that world she would have to next investigate. She was rather displeased by the Captains interruption.

“Overseer I thought I made it clear that I was not to be interrupted,” she said to the stallion without looking away from her maps.

The lack of respect vexed the overseer. This was after all his ship, and he felt a certain level of respect was to be paid to any ship captain. “You’ve been dragging us all over Consortium space for six weeks now. You’ve handed off over a third of the trade goods we were suppose to be protecting, yet you’ve brought no new cargo on board. I’ve done these pointless escort missions before; they don’t run for this long. If you can’t give me a straight answer as to what you’ve been doing with that cargo, then I’m afraid we’re going to have to head back to Aiur so you can explain what you’ve been doing to the Executors.”

Seeker finally looked away from her maps to meet him eye to eye. “Your orders are to do what I say overseer. If you can’t do that, then I’ll find a captain who can.”

“I was ordered to escort a cargo run, and there is clearly more to this mission than just an exchange of cargo.”

Before the conversation could continue, one of the crew members on the bridge sent him a message through the Khala, informing him that they’ve picked up a distress signal from an unknown vessel. Starsong immediately left the mare’s quarters and made his way back to the bridge.

Seeker may not have been connected to the Khala, but she could tell by how fast he had taken off that something important, or at least potentially interesting, must have happened. She quickly ran after him.

The two ponies entered the bridge, and found four ships in the distance on screen. It seems three small raiding ships were attacking another vessel. Starsong ordered the crew to magnify image as best as they could. The three attacking ships all had a symbol of a diamond collar painted on.

“Looks like we have some pirates” commented Starsong, doing his best to hold back a smile. “Templar, move us in to engage. Glorious combat awaits!”

“Belay that order!” demanded Seeker. “Those aren’t pirates. Those are Diamond Dogs. They’re a security firm that operates in Consortium space. This is their jurisdiction not ours.”

“They’re attacking a civilian ship!” shouted Starsong. “Isn’t that what they’re supposed to be preventing?”

“Security firms tend to demand fees now and then from passing ships. Odds are they were unwilling or unable to pay. Either way, we should stay out of this,” replied Seeker.

Starsong wasn’t about to sit back and watch pirates prey on helpless civilian ships. He didn’t care what company logo they wore, pirates are still pirates. “As I said, glory awaits. Move to engage. Red alert status!” The ships crew obeyed their captain, and began to bring their weapons online as the sound of the red alert sirens were heard through out the ship.

“Overseer! There are three problems with what you are about to do. One, that is not a Khala ship, it does not concern us. Two, the Diamond Dogs are a very powerful security firm with in the Consortium; if we attack them now, we’ll have problems later. Three, if you don’t turn this ship around, you will be relieved of command!” shouted Seeker.

Starsong made his rebuttal. “One, Templar don’t run from pirates. Two, justice doesn’t stop when we cross the border. Three, once a ship has entered red alert status, the acting ship captain now has full authority until we stand down from red alert. If you want to have me relieved from command, you’ll have to wait until the red alert is over.”

Seeker wasn’t going to stand for any of this. “Templar, stand down red alert! Now!”

The ships crew ignored her orders. One of them explained, “Sorry ma’am. But only the acting ship captain can order a stand down from red alert status.” Seeker did her best to suppress her rage. It was only intensified by the sight of Starsong’s smile at the crewman’s reply.

“How long until we’re in weapons range?” asked Starsong.

“One minute until we’re in range for cannons. Fifteen seconds until our missile launches are in range” replied a crewmen.

“Lock launchers one and two on the closest ship and fire on my signal. Hail the enemy ships. Give them one chance to back off,” commanded Starsong.

“You’re letting them know we’re coming?!” asked Seeker. “If they escape, they’ll transmit that it was us who attacked them!”

Starsong ignored her comment.

“Shall we launch fighters Captain?” asked a crewman.

“Prep them for launch, but keep them in the bay. No need to reveal our full strength early on,” he replied.

“We’re picking up a transmission,” announced one of the crewmen.

“Well what do we have here? Looks like we got ourselves some heroes,” said a ponies voice coming from the speakers. “Now you listen here. This has nothing to do with any of you. Just turn around, and go about your business before you do something you regret.”

Starsong was unconvinced. “Launch missiles one and two from launcher one,” he commanded. Two missiles raced through space towards their target, smashing against the ships shields. While minimal damage had been done to the ships hull, the ships shields were disabled.

“Oh you gone and done it now son,” said a voice from the speakers.

“They’ve cut off all hails,” informed a crewman. “They’re on an approach vector; they have missiles locked on us.”

“Fire missiles three and four from launcher one on same target. Fire all missiles from launcher two and second nearest target then rearm launchers. Fix photon and beam cannons on third target and fire as soon as it’s in range.”

“Understood Captain,” said a gunner.

The Radiance’s missiles launched at their intended targets. The damaged raider rolled out of the way while launching counter measures, dodging the two missiles meant for it. It only received minor damage from the missiles exploding from behind. The second salvo of missiles fared the same as the other raider mimicked the maneuver. With its shields still up, it suffered no damage from the explosion. All three raiders now counter attacked with missiles of their own. The large mantis cruiser was unable to dodge their attack, and its shields weakened from their impact. Fortunately, their missiles were meant to damage small fighters, not large cruisers, so the Radiances suffered no hull damage.

The Radiance missile launchers lowered beneath the ships hull while the robotic crew began to rearm them. Now in range of their short range weapons, the Radiance fired its beam and photon cannons onto the third raider. The ships pilot seemed to be particularly skilled as he dodged the majority of the photon cannons rapid attacks. The beams managed to land some hits, but were unable to stay focused on the target long enough to do penetrate the shields.

The three raiders, now close enough for a short ranged attack of their own, returned fire with dual gauss gatling guns. The shells were meant to damage light armored vehicles, but their focused fire was enough to temporarily breach the shields and damage the hull underneath. They focused their fire on one of the still rearming missile launchers.

“Captain, our shields are holding, but they did inflict hull damage. The lift for missile launcher one is damaged, we can’t raise the launcher to fire. Missile launcher two is now rearmed.”

“Order the robots to remove any missiles before they start repairs. We can’t risk them going off inside the ships hull,” replied Starsong.

“These mercenaries are veterans. They do this every day for a living. Your crew isn’t ready for this yet. Transfer power from weapons to shields, then head back to the warp beacon. We can jump away from there, the shields should hold,” suggested Seeker.

Starsong ignored her advice. He wasn't about to let his first battle at the hands of pirates end in defeat so easily.

Seeker was starting to remember why she didn’t fit in with the regular Templar forces. Too often they let pride and an overrated sense of honor prevent them from making sound decisions.

“They’re coming around for another attack. They’re coming from behind,” announced a crewman.

“Full salvo from launcher two on the raider with the damaged shields. Set missiles to detonate when they’re within fifty yards in front of the raider. Have canons and beams focus fire after missile detonation,” ordered Starsong.

The launcher fired all four of its anti mater missiles. Again, the raider launched counter measures and attempted to roll out of the way, but instead flew head first into the blast. The unshielded ship was damaged and slowed by the attack, then was quickly blasted to pieces by the rapid fire photon cannons. The remaining two raiders launched another salvo of missiles at the remaining launcher, followed by another burst from their gatling guns.

“Captain, launcher two has been damaged. The lift is still operational, but the launcher will be unable to fire. Two hull breaches detected, no casualties to report.”

“Lower the lift and begin repairs,” ordered Starsong. “Any idea how many missiles they still have?”

“Scanning… We aren’t detecting any more missiles sir, that should have been their last salvo. It appears they already used their ammunition on civilian vessel before we arrived. But their gatlings guns can penetrate our shields and inflict significant hull damage if they can concentrate fire… They’re coming in again from the side!”

“Lower our cannons below the hull; take all weapons offline and transfer that power to our shields. Put the ship in a roll; I don’t want them to be able to focus fire on anything.” ordered Starsong.

“What are you doing?!” shouted Seeker.

Starsong ignored her question. With some hesitation, the crew followed his orders, and they were now a slow moving, though quickly rolling target. The raiders came in for another attack, and then another, then another. Each attack further weakened the shields, and eventually began to inflict damage on the ships hull. After a number of fly bys, they received a message from the Diamond Dogs.

“Well look at that!” the voice said with a laugh. “We beat you boys so hard you’re doing death rolls. We’re feeling generous today, so we’re going to let you go this time. Don’t let us catch you in these parts again you hear?” the transmission cut off as the raiders began to make an escape.

“Launch all fighters and have them target their engines. I don’t want them to live long enough to tell their friends about us,” ordered Starsong.

The fighters, which had been prepped ahead of time, took off from the hanger bay to attack the raiders. The raiders weapons were specialized in shooting down enemy fighters, but they made no resistance. They only kept trying to escape, but were unable to outrun the small Khala fighters who proceeded to disable their engines.

Starsong was pleased to see his plan had worked. “That’s such a shame. It appears they wasted all their ammunition trying to smash against our shields. Now they’re sitting ducks,” he said with a chuckle. “Bring the beams back on line. Cleanse their wretched souls with righteous fire,” he ordered.

Another transmission was coming through. “Hey now, let’s not do anything hasty here. That ship we were attacking, you can have half of what it had. Hell you can take the whole ship. Think about this! If we tell our boss your ship interfered with a legally sanctioned corporate acquisition, you’re all going to have a nice big bull’s eye painted on the side of your ship. Do you really want that?”

Starsong looked over to one of his crewmen and asked, “Does that ship have any long range communication available at the moment?”

“Our scanners say no Captain,” reported a crewman.

Starsong smiled at the reply. “Open fire,” he commanded. The Radiance’s beams roared in indignation as they cut against the two ships, eventually slicing them in half. A thunder of cheers filled the ships bridge; the crew of the Radiance had for the first time engaged in honorable combat and emerged victorious. “Hail the civilian ship. See if they require assistance.”

“We already wasted time and resources fighting their battle for them. Now you want to see if you can give them even more?” asked Seeker.

The Overseer ignored the Dark Templar. Even if those civilians weren’t Khalai, they were still ponies, and every pony is entitled to justice.


Seeker couldn’t understand why Starsong insisted on giving further assistance to a complete stranger who probably would never be able to ever return the favor even if he wanted too. But she had to admit, even if she didn’t agree with the overseer, she did respect his commitment to the Templar and the Khala.

The Dark Order was expected to get results by any means necessary. The Templar Order was expected to uphold justice at all times. Even if she didn’t agree with Starsong, she admired that he stuck to his principles. In truth, she doubted other Templar would have gone out of their way the same way he did. At first she was certain he was just hungry for glory, but if that were the case he would have left the merchants to their fate immediately after the battle; not be sitting at a dinner table with them.

Assuming they would have to make communications not meant for Kel-Morian ears, Seeker joined with the Khala. She didn’t like joining with the Khala, even if only temporarily. Knowing that everyone could sense her deepest emotions was… disturbing. For any other group of ponies, the very idea seemed far to intimate to do with just anyone.

Starsong could feel her discomfort, and it was starting to make him feel a bit uncomfortable linking with her. Would you relax? You’re making this awkward. We’re just accepting their hospitality, and seeing if they need any further assistance. If you don’t want to be here, just return to the ship.

I’m not going anywhere. I need to make sure you don’t make any crazy promises we can’t keep. In fact, I should probably have you arrested for what you did! replied Seeker.

“I can’t thank you two enough for the help you gave. Most folks around these parts couldn’t give a damn what happens to anypony else, much less take on the Diamond Dogs for them,” said the other pony. His name was Fix It. He was a short and chubby Kel-Morian earth pony mechanic with a green coated hair and mane. With their ship's captain killed in the attack, he was now in command.

“The Templar don’t allow the wicked to go unpunished. It is our life duty to help,” replied Starsong.

“Well, thank Celestia for life duties!” he said raising a glass with his two hooves.

“To life duty!” Starsong raised his glass with his magic and tapped it against the captains before enjoying some very fine wine. “Khalas Light! What’s in this?!” he asked.

“Like it eh? That’s Celestia's tears, imported all the way from Vatican space. They got some of the best wine in the sector. Imperials love it, but they can’t directly trade with the Vatican, so we serve as the middle man. They pay well for this stuff,” explained Fix It. “You know what? Take a box, in fact, take ten. It’s the least we can do.”

Excellent! You risk the lives of your crew, and you get some boxes of wine to show for it, complained Seeker.

“That’s very generous of you,” said Starsong

“Well that’s what we originally agreed to pay the Diamond Dogs for escort services. Then they suddenly decided they wanted one hundred boxes, so I’d consider myself lucky”

“They were going to kill you over wine?” asked Seeker.

“Like I said, Imperials pay well for this stuff. The cargo in our hanger is worth more than the ship right now,” explained Fix It.

Amazing the level of greed the other ponies in this sub-sector are willing to show isn’t it? asked Seeker.

“Well, we thank you for the dinner and the wine. The robots should be just about finished fixing your ships engines. We’ll be taking any salvage we can collect from those wrecked raiders, but feel free to take whatever your cargo bay can carry as well. There should be more than enough to repair both ships,” said Starsong.

“Really? I don’t know what to say. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I have to ask, why are you doing this?” asked Fix It.

Why are you doing this? We risked our ship to help theirs. They’re already going to make off with vast wealth after they sell their cargo, asked Seeker.

“We already have plenty of spare parts, and our ship barely took any damage. Not to mention your cargo bay doesn't have much room left anyway, so we’ll still get to take the vast majority. I doubt we’ll miss a couple tons of scrap. Plus I’d say you need it more than we do,” replied Starsong.

Fix It was shocked by his generosity. Sure in the end he wasn’t giving up that much, but he was used to ponies taking everything they could get, even if they didn’t need it. “You know what, you Khalai folk are alright. I know ponies say you guys are creepy, and honestly the way your friend there keeps glaring at me I can see why, but you’re alright. First that hornless Khalai unicorn loans us the money for our cargo a few months back, then you folks-”

“What hornless unicorn!?” shouted Seeker.

“You know him?” asked Fix it.

Why is this hornless unicorn important? asked Starsong.

“He’s an old friend of mine. Was his name Sovereign?” she asked.

“That’s the one. You should have seen him at the casino tables. The guy was winning left and right like crazy. He was really generous too. He was handing out his winnings to anypony who he thought could use it. Everypony wanted a piece of him. Our captain asked him if he could borrow some bits for a cargo run, and promised a big return for his investment. To be honest… he was kind of gullible. A lot of ponies made the same offer and never paid him back. But our captain did pay what he promised after the first job. No point in making enemies with a potential future lender right?” said Fix It.

“He just came out and told you he was a Khalai?” asked Seeker.

“Well no. He didn’t want anypony at the casinos to know he was cheating. But after we showed our sincerity when we paid him back, he took us out for some drinks and… well he let a lot of things slip,” explained Fix It. "Your friend's quite the drinker when he wants to be."

That idiot! He’s been making a scene these last few months? He does not need that kind of attention, she thought to herself.

Who in the Khalas Light is Sovereign?! Are you telling me we just wasted six weeks of our time just so you can find your friend?! asked Starsong

This is why I hate linking with the Khala, Seeker thought to herself, again forgetting her thoughts were being shared.

I can still hear you, said Starsong.

Damn it! Overseer, I’m terminating this connection. Seeker tried to do as she said, but to no avail. The overseer was a High Templar, thus he had a strong mental will, and he wasn’t going to let her disconnect that easily.

You and I are staying linked until I know everything, he announced.

Fine. I’ll tell you when we get back to the ship. Just let me ask a couple more questions first, she replied.

“When was the last time you saw Sovereign?” asked Seeker.

“Last I met him he was in Raydin IV. The Captain wanted to stop by and drop off a box of wine as a courtesy but… he just seems to have disappeared. Heard that was a couple of months ago; not positive though,” replied Fix It.

“Thank you for your time. You’ve been very helpful,” said Seeker acting polite for the first time since sitting at the table.

“No problem ma’am” he replied.

Starsong, set a course for Raydin IV when we get back to the ship. I’ll explain everything on the way.

Author's Note:

The Diamond Dogs are ponies, not Diamond Dogs from the show. Mercs in starcraft tend to name themselves things like "war pigs" or "devil dogs" or "night wolfs" so I decided to take a classic from the actual show.

As for using the Mantis ship design instead of the old void ray, keep in mind it's been a few hundred years. By now, you would think they would update their designs. It would be unrealistic for them to develop the exact same ship design and then never change it for three hundred years.

I didn't intend to work heavily with OCs, but upon writing this chapter I found I had no choice. I think we got to see a lot more of Seeker, and I am enjoying getting to finally show more of one of the other factions finally. Seeker will probably be heavily used in future Khala chapters, not sure about Starsong yet. I wasn't planning on the Radiance becoming a particularly important ship, but the more I think on what I have planned, its quite possible the Radiance and Starsong will show up more. I might make more OCs to help define the rest of the crew, or I might just keep them all redshirts.

The thing I regret most about this chapter is how late I brought it in. I kind of wish I had placed it earlier in the story before the reader knew of Sovereigns whereabouts. I might later move this chapter to earlier in the story for future readers some time next week, but for now I'll keep it here to avoid confusing anyone.

Lastly, before anyone suggest, "it seems rather convenient that Seeker just happens to find someone who knew of Sovereigns whereabouts," keep this in mind. Sovereign wasn't exactly keeping a low profile, and as seen on another chapter, he doesn't really understand who things work outside of the Khala. Second, Seeker didn't exactly walk into Consortium space and just bumped into someone the same day. It was six weeks of following his trail. Follow a trail long enough, you'll eventually run into someone useful.

PreviousChapters Next