• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,607 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Seeker

Scootaloo laid on the ground, stars and spots flashing in front of her. She slowly tried to get back up, but her center of balance was still a bit off. Through her blurry vision, she could see someone extending a hoof of assistance.

“Just like your mother. You can’t take a punch,” said the warden in a joking manner.

“Next time old man,” she replied, accepting his hoof. “You won’t stay on top forever you know.”

“Funny, your mother used to tell me the same thing,” he said chuckling.

“I… didn’t need to hear that.” Scootaloo began to follow her father out of the dojo. Scootaloo was now on all fours, but the warden as always, walked on two legs. There was no evening event planned for the night, so the other inmates were given extra time on the firing range instead. Scootaloo had already proven she was now the best shot in her cell block, so the warden thought more hand to hand combat training would be beneficial. That and since she stopped sharing meals with him, it was starting to seem like the only time they got to spend together.

He had become proud of his daughter. While he was more than a little displeased the day she showed up in his prison, he had eventually gotten past the fact she was a murderer. He couldn’t really judge her considering he too had committed a murder as well. But now she was turning into one of the best reapers to ever come out of the Ice House. And while he had missed out on her childhood, he got to be there when she earned her cutie mark. At least he and Scootaloo were certain it must have happened during her fight against the zerg in the training dome.

It was now the ninth week of training. Unlike the other inmates, Scootaloo was well informed on what the training schedule would be. While the first month was mostly physical conditioning and marksmanship training, and the second was extensive training in the use of jetpacks, explosives, more marksmanship and hand to hand combat, the third month would be devoted to training in squad based tactics.

Scootaloo wasn’t particularly excited about this next month. Now that they had completed all of what she considered to be 'relevant', she felt she was ready to take on whatever the enemies of the Dominion had to throw at her. If there was one saving grace, it’s that she would most likely be assigned as a squad leader. While the other inmates had finally been taken off their mind numbing drug regiment so they could be mentally prepared for what was coming, they were still recovering so Scootaloo was the only one whose mind was at one-hundred percent. While she knew that if she was assigned as a squad leader it would be because she earned it, she also knew others would suspect it was just a favor from her father. Scootaloo would just have to prove them wrong.

It was an annoying reoccurrence now that the inmates were slowly regaining their higher thinking skills. While she hadn’t killed anyone since that incident in the mess hall a few weeks back, she still had to knock out two of her fellow inmates who dared call her 'daddy’s girl.' Yes it was true that if it weren’t for her father, she more than likely would have died on her first week of training, but did it really matter anymore? She could out shoot any of them. She had proven herself against anyone who dared dispute her claim as the best fighter in the cell block.

She was usually leading from the front during most of their evening events. She had even starting eating the same gruel as the other inmates once she had been informed they were no longer being spiked with drugs. Yet despite all of her accomplishments, she could still see it in their eyes; she didn’t have their respect. Normally Scootaloo wouldn’t care what a bunch of murdering scum bags thought of her, but considering she might be leading some of these stallions into battle, she needed to make sure they respected her enough to follow her orders.

“You seem troubled,” said the warden.

“I’m fine,” replied Scootaloo.

“Let’s not play that game. What’s the matter?” asked her father.

“Dad… Sir, I am grateful for all the extra training and help you’ve provided for me but… the others are taking it the wrong way. If we’re supposed to be practicing squad tactics this month, I’m not sure how effective I can be if none of the people under me respect me.”

The warden should have seen it coming. He didn’t want to ruin her reputation, but he also couldn’t just let his daughter die during the culling neither. Even though she was just a clone, he still remembered how horrible it was the first time he saw that Scootaloo look alike ripped to pieces during the first day. Losing his real daughter would have been more than he could bear. Though looking back on it, it probably wasn’t in her best interested when he announced on the intercom he had gotten her a cake to congratulate her when she completed her course in the training dome. “I guess that was kind of my fault. Sorry about that,” said the warden.

“It’s fine. I just wish I knew what I could do to show them that I’m just as good as they are; probably better than all of them,” replied Scootaloo. “I’ve tried killing an inmate, I’ve tried beating the crap out of inmates, but no matter what, they just look at me like… like I should have died during the first week like all the others who weren’t strong enough. And maybe they are right. I’m sure some of the others could have survived if they were given a chance.”

“Like the one who tried to rape you?” asked the warden. “Or maybe the one who skinned his neighbor’s daughters alive? Or the one who burned his own family? Or maybe that teacher you tripped on the first day who lured impressionable young mare to his home, only to tie them to a bed and slice out their entrails? Yes I can see why they all deserve a second chance.” Despite the fact he once walked these halls as an inmate himself, warden Iron Feather had little sympathy for the killers entrusted to his care. Sure he had committed a crime in the heat of passion, but he’d never do the sick depraved things these lunatics had done.

“You looked at every inmates crimes?” she asked.

“It's good to have a reminder of why these sick freaks are here in the first place. How do you think I found out you were here? I don’t want you to feel sorry for any of them. As far as I’m concerned they got what they deserved. You don’t need respect from people like that.” There was no doubt in the stallions voiced. Scootaloo could tell he had nothing but hatred for her fellow inmates.

“Then what about me?” she asked. “You didn’t believe me when I said I didn’t do it. As far as you’re concerned, I murdered my best friend’s parents for no reason. Doesn’t that make me just as bad as they are?”

The warden didn’t know how to respond. She had murdered two innocent ponies. She deserved to be in these halls just as much as the next inmate. She deserved to die just like the others. Yet he made an exception for her just because she was his daughter. He even planned on giving her easy assignments that would deduct large chunks of time from her sentence to get her out of the corps as quickly as possible. It wasn’t fair and he knew it.

“Fine, you’re right,” he finally replied. “I’m being a hypocrite, I am playing favorites. Yes, you should have died on the first week like the others. Yes, you’re only alive because of all the favors I did for you. But you’re my daughter; you couldn’t really expect me to just sit back and… watch you die again.” Scootaloo never really thought about it, but the sight of watching her 'sisters' die had probably taken a toll on him. Scootaloo didn't know what to say, so instead she hugged her father. It was the first time in her life she could remember doing so. He kindly returned the hug. He hadn’t done so since she was a foal, and damn it did it feel good.

Unfortunately many of the guards and inmates saw the display. It was settled now. She really was a daddy’s girl and the whole prison knew it. Maybe she didn’t deserve to have survived the first week, but she also took her fathers words to heart. Those stallions were sick in the head and deserved everything they had coming.

She was innocent. Her dying in that first week wouldn’t have been justice. Maybe it wasn’t fair that she had extra help, but it also wasn’t fair she was here to begin with. If they didn’t want to respect her, fine. She didn’t need it. She had nothing to prove to those stallions, and she certainly wasn't going to deny herself time with her father on their behalf. “Dad, do you think I could come over for dinner?”


After a nice dinner and a shower, Scootaloo made her way back to her cell. The guards didn’t even bother escorting her, or timing her showers, though Card Shark would still make his appearances. At this point the whole prison knew of her connection to the warden, so she felt it was pointless trying to hide it now. That and unlike her first week where her special treatment could have gotten her killed, now she was more than able to put any inmate in their place who dared question her worth as a reaper.

She had actually made a stop by the mess hall just to pick a fight, and of course she easily won it. If she couldn’t earn their respect by prowess and achievement, she would make them fear her through violence. That’s the only thing these animals would ever understand, and if that meant a fight every now and then, so be it. As she made her way towards her cell, some of the inmates dared look at her. She only needed to give them a glance, and they would immediately look away. It felt good to have the other inmates afraid of her.

As Scootaloo finally reached her cell, she checked her hidden tablet. A new message read, “You go free tomorrow. Be ready.” There were instructions on where she needed to be and when. Apparently someone's escape plan was already in motion. She didn’t really see the point since she would be in her reaper armor at that time of day. She was fairly certain this tablet wasn’t from her father.

She had subtly mention it to her father, but when she noticed he had no clue what she was talking about, she changed the subject. That raised the question: if this wasn’t from her father, then how did she know if the source was trust worthy? If she followed these instructions while in her armor, her father could activate her kill switch. Perhaps they were counting on him not being able to do it? If so, she was going to find out tomorrow.

Scootaloo hid the tablet under her sheets again, and then tried to get some rest.


A lone mare was busy sorting through a large library. This wasn’t a library for books, it was a library for containing memory crystals. The mare had a coat of dark blue fur, and a cyan mane. Her cutie mark was an open eye. She was Zamara, the Supreme Matriarch of the Khalai unicorns. Once a member of the now extinct Protoss race, her consciousness now resided inside the body of the unicorn mare, Discovery. It was Zamara who severed the portals connecting the Koprulu sector to Equestria, freeing them from Celestia's rule. It is Zamara who now guides all Khalai unicorns as an independent people.

Zamara was preparing to meditate in front of one of the ancient Dark Templar memory crystals. While she had memories of thousands of lifetimes stored with in her, her new body was unable to continue her role as a preserver, so she had to resort to absorbing knowledge from the memory crystals instead. While her people had created new more efficient crystals, the ancient protoss made crystals she was studying had a limited life span, and memories had to be transferred from time to time; a technique lost long ago. All she could do now was absorb as many memories as she could before all the crystals degraded.

The task of preserving future memories would fall to her new followers, those few who were gifted with the capacity to become preservers. She had developed a fondness for her new people, and was pleased they were eager to accept the teachings of the Khala. They were strong willed, and every bit as psionicly capable as her own people were. They had done all they could to welcome her not only as their new leader, but as a member of their race.

Zamara did appreciate the sentiment, and time had allowed her to adjust to her new life among the Khala unicorns. Though she still missed her old body, and it seemed like no amount of time would ever fully heal the hole in her heart left by the extinction of her entire race. She liked to think she was still the last of the Protoss, but looking at her hooves and horn, she was never able to fully convince herself.

A part of Zamara did feel guilty about inhabiting Discovery’s body. Parts of Discovery's memories, personality and possibly, consciousness were still floating around in her head somewhere. It was the second time she had taken over another being's body. The first was a terran archaeologist who she forced to do her bidding, bringing her to Dark Templar memory crystals so her consciousness could be stored in the first place.

Now another innocent soul was displaced because of her. Though unlike the terran, Discovery fully welcomed Zamara into her mind, and willingly joined with her. While Zamara quickly became the dominant personality, she never could find it in her heart to snuff out what was left of Discovery. If it weren’t for that brave young mare's sacrifice, all knowledge of her people may have been erased entirely. If Zamara had known her people were extinct at the time of the merging, she may have just allowed Discovery to maintain control, and let herself fade into nothing more than a cache of memories.

A part of her still would like to do that, but tragically there is not enough left of Discovery for that to happen. Considering Discovery sacrificed her body and mind to allow Zamara to lead her people to a new golden age, Zamara felt obligated to honor the brave mare’s final wishes. She would see her followers thrive under the Khala, or she would die trying. She would not let any of the other tyrants, warmongers or fanatics in the sector stop her.

Zamara scanned the shelves for a crystal so she could begin the process. The process was one that took several weeks, or even months to accomplish, and once started, should not be stopped, as it would cause the crystal to decay rapidly. She noticed one of the crystals was already in a state of decay, and decided she should work with that one before it's memories were forever lost. After only an instant, she realized who this crystal belonged to.

Zeratul! she thought to herself. She held the crystal close to her heart, as if she were embracing another member of her species. If only you could be here now. She thought about that for a moment. If Zeratul, or any protoss, could see her now in her new body, would they still except her as a fellow Protoss? A tear formed around her eyes as she stared at the crystal. Even after spending centuries in her unicorn body, she still wasn’t used to tears.

Zeratul was one of the oldest living Dark Templar, and a hero to both the Khalai and the Nerazim. Even though they were of different beliefs, and even though it was a Nerazim assassin that murdered her in the first place, Zeratul was still willing to fight to defend her disembodied spirit when she was residing in the mind of the terran archaeologist. Were it not for Zeratul, Zamara’s consciousness would have been destroyed long ago, and all history of the Protoss would be forever lost.

Zamara prepared herself, and again began absorbing the memories. But something was wrong. The crystal had been tampered with, someone else had already used it! What’s worse, they didn’t perform the rites properly; Zeratul’s memory crystal had been damaged!

Only preservers had access to these crystals. Zamara checked the logs to see who had entered the chamber recently. She found only three other entries: Star Gazer, Horizon, and… Sovereign. Sovereign... you still keep haunting me don't you? she thought to herself. As she thought back to the events that led to Sovereign's exile, she began to fill with anger. Zamara looked down at her hooves to see they were radiating a red mist. No… I can’t... lose... control. She took a deep breath and calmed herself. Slowly the red mist emitting from her body ceased, and again her thoughts were clear.

Zamara continued to absorb what little she could from the damaged crystal. She saw only a final message left by Zeratul. The visions were a warning of some sort. She witnessed the last of her people making a final stand against the zerg. Every one of them fought bravely, but in the end her people were killed to the last. Before they had died, they buried an archive detailing her people’s history. It detailed the final events that lead up to their extinction, a means to prevent history from repeating its self, and a warning that it was going to happen again.

Zamara temporarily lost control of her body and crushed the damaged crystal in her hooves. Zamara’s eyes turned red, again the red mist had returned, and a voice entered her mind. The cycle will continue. He will return. Once again, your people will die! Zamara suppressed the voiced and regained control of herself. She had already absorbed what information was left on the crystal, so its loss would mean little. What she needed was the rest of Zeratuls memories. She needed to know what planet that archive was buried on. She needed to bring back Sovereign.


A hooded mare made her way to the Nexus where Zamara resided. The Nexus was a massive pyramid like structure that was typically used as an operations center for Protoss colonies and military bases alike. This nexus however was more akin to a palace. She didn’t know why she was being called upon by the Supreme Matriarch herself, but she knew better than to keep her waiting. The mare and the Supreme Matriarch had somewhat of a tarnished history together, but if the Supreme Matriarch had a mission for her specifically, so this could be her chance to smooth things out. The mares name was Seeker. She was a black mare, with a dark blue mane and grey eyes. Her cutie mark was a trail of hoof prints, identifying her as an excellent tracker.

Seeker was not like most of the Khalai unicorns. She was a Dark Templar who followed the path of the Nerazim. Unlike the Khalai who were all telepathically joined by the Khala, the Nerazim maintained their individual thoughts, choosing to serve the Khala from outside of its influence. In Protoss times, Nerazim were hated, feared and hunted. They were forced to cut off their own psychic appendages to hide from the Khalai Protoss telepathic reach, and trained themselves to become Dark Templar: stealthy warriors who would strike from the shadows.

Zamara however saw the value of the Dark Templar as infiltrators and assassins. It was her idea to bring back the Dark Templar teachings, and created a new order of Dark Templar known as the Dark Order. She viewed their talents as a necessity for her peoples continued survival in the sector.

As a Dark Templar, Seeker did not wear the mark of the Khala on her side. Because Dark Templar were often sent into enemy territory, they were supposed to blend in with the locals. Since she was a Dark Templar, Seeker wasn’t trusted by the other Khalai unicorns. As most Khalai are psychically connected, they have no use for lies and deception as opposed to Dark Templar who are trained and encouraged to master it. While Seeker would never lie to her fellow Khalai, she typically found her word wasn’t trusted.

Seeker finally made her way into Zamara's chambers. It had been a long time since she had spoken with the Supreme Matriarch. Seeker could only hope time had helped to ease tension between the two mares. She kneeled before her matriarch in respect, “En Taro Discovery Supreme Matriarch. What is your will?”

“En Taro Discovery young one, you may raise,” replied Zamara. There seemed to be no ire in her voice, which came as a relief to Seeker. “The Khala has need of your services.”

Seeker was eager to redeem herself in the eyes of Zamara, and was willing to do just about anything. “I am ready to carry out the Khala's will. What is your task?” she asked.

“It's an old friend of yours," she announced. "You are going to locate Sovereign. I need him to come back to the Khala. While I’m sure he would be more than thrilled to be welcomed home, I think it would be best if a familiar face were to welcome him,” explained Zamara.

“Sovereign's coming home?!” asked Seeker. She was getting a bit excited. Seeker and Sovereign had been close since childhood. She was always a bit of an outcast when she was a filly, and Sovereign was her only friend. She felt particularly guilty because she was the one who tracked him down, so she felt largely responsible for his banishment in the first place. While she felt horrible betraying her closest friend, but it was the Khalas will. Perhaps welcoming him home might help set things right between them?

“Sovereign has absorbed memories vital to our continued survival in the sector. What’s worse is he damaged the crystal, and I was unable to retrieve all the memories. If his information was to fall into the wrong hands, or if he were killed, your people will go the same way of the Protoss, and follow them into extinction,” replied Zamara.

“No harm will come to him! I will bring him back,” promised Seeker. She wasn't about to let her one chance to set things right with Sovereign elude her.

“A part of me thinks I should be sending someone more experienced, but I'm sure if anyone knows Sovereign well enough to find him, it's you. Complete this mission, and you will be forgiven for your past transgressions. Can I count on you Seeker?" asked Zamara.

"I will not fail you Supreme Matriarch," promised Seeker. "I will bring him home. He's suffered enough."

Zamara pitied the girl, because what she was about to say next would certainly hurt her. "I need to make something clear. While I would prefer Sovereign not be harmed, it’s not him I seek, but the knowledge locked away in his head. If you can not convince him to return home willingly…” Zamara levitated a small stasis chamber in front of Seeker. “I need that information. If you must, put his head in this stasis chamber and bring it back to me. It will suffice for memory extraction.”

Seekers eyes widened. “Is… is that necessary? He's been like a son to you.”

Zamara closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she finally managed to reply, she spoke with a slight crack in her voice. “This isn't easy for me Seeker. I know you two were very close friends, so I know this won't be easy on your either. But we are called upon to do what must be done for the greater good of our people. Even if that means putting our duties before our loved ones. You were the one who was able to find him last time. I know you will do everything you can to bring him back alive, which is why I am entrusting you with this. I also know he is most likely to return willingly if he is greeted by a familiar face. But if worse comes to worse, can I count on you to do what is needed? If I don’t get that information, our entire race will perish. If you do not feel you are up to this, say so and I shall find another. I won't hold it against you.”

Seeker was silent for a moment. She had already betrayed him by tracking him down. Now she might have to kill him. But if what the matriarch was saying is true, their entire race could be in jeopardy. Seeker also knew if she let another Dark Templar take charge in this mission, they might be quick to use the last resort first. Dark Templar prided themselves in efficiency, not morality. They might treat this as just another assassination mission. Seeker didn't want that, and she was certain that Zamara didn't want that either. It had to be her, and no one else. “I accept the mission Supreme Matriarch. I will retrieve the memories… one way or another.”

“Good. I knew I could count on you," replied Zamara. "You may requisition whatever you need for your investigation. Be warned, he has absorbed the fighting skills of the mighty Zeratul himself. While he was never formally trained as a Templar, he should still be considered extremely dangerous.”

Seeker was all too well aware of his newly found abilities, she had been the one who helped him acquire them after all. “I shall keep that in mind Supreme Matriarch.”

"Please try to bring him back alive. En Taro Discovery," finished Zamara.

“En Taro Discovery,” replied Seeker before leaving the nexus. Seeker looked at the small stasis chamber. She wanted to smash it then and there, but that would only prove she wasn’t ready for this mission. This mission was her chance to set things right between them. She could only pray things turned out better this time.

Author's Note:

Artwork provided by Rametep. If you liked the picture, click the source link below it and leave a comment. (That one is my personal favorite)

PreviousChapters Next