• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 3,163 Views, 67 Comments

That which Holds the Moon - TimeLord_Whooves



Ever since her return, Luna has been alone with nopony but Celestia to talk to, that was, until Nightmare Night, when she gained a friend who accepted her almost without any hessitation. What is this funny feeling in her heart?

  • ...
6
 67
 3,163

Luna's Dream

Twilight closed the book quietly. She smiled down at the sleeping princess, intently studying Luna’s peaceful face, from her gently twitching eyes, all the way down to the small droplet of drool slowly making its way to the floor from her slightly open mouth.

Twilight giggled silently to herself, she never would have imagined she’d see a princess drool, let alone look so cute doing it. ‘Well, maybe not ‘cute’ exactly… more like silly, but still kinda cute…’

She shook the thought from her head and continued to gaze serenely at the peacefully sleeping princess. She knew that, even in sleep, the princess’ ethereal manes flowed as if immersed in water, but it was still mesmerizing as she gazed at the many stars strewn along the vivid blue of Luna’s mane. She moved to run her hoof through it, ignoring the part of her that told her not to do it.

It felt odd, much like running her hoof through a gently flowing stream, only, her hoof didn’t get wet. It was soothing though, and strangely therapeutic, she continued stroking Luna’s mane and smiled softly to herself.

Luna smiled, her eyes still closed, and softly whispered, “Mm, Twilight, that feels nice.”

Twilight went rigid; she hadn’t expected Luna to be awake yet. She had only just fell asleep maybe twenty minutes ago. She stopped her hoof mid stroke and pulled it back.

Luna pouted and groaned out, “Why did you stop?”

Twilight’s face was burning red. She was sure that Luna was still asleep as her eyes were still closed. Luna rolled over and grumbled a little, something about getting ice cream and then there being some on Twilight’s nose… It was when Luna giggled and said she’d lick it clean that Twilight jumped up and ran across the library, ignoring everything but the embarrassed feeling she now felt.

‘Does Luna really feel that way towards me? D-do I feel that strongly for her?’

As she ran on, she imagined the same thing only with ice cream on Luna’s nose… Her face burned even hotter as she shut her eyes and plowed forward towards the wall of the library.

There came the sound of skull hitting wood, the creak of a door, and finally the door slamming shut again.

Twilight felt the world fall from beneath her hooves, it was only then that she finally opened her eyes, only to regret it instantly. She found herself falling into blackness.

It wasn’t that far of a drop really, she had only been falling for… the better part of the last hour. Twilight was starting to feel like the drop would never end, that she would fall forever, when she slammed against the rough surface of rapidly flowing water. The impact caused Twilight to cough and nearly inhale a lungful of water. She managed to surface but the pain of the impact kept her from fighting the current of the river and she was forced to let it sweep her away, coughing and sputtering up the water.

She did manage to get one good breath in and she decided to try to put it to good use. She shouted, as loud as she could back up from where she came, “LUNAAA!!” And with that, was swept away.

***

Luna tossed in her sleep, rolling off of her cushion and onto the cold, hard, ebony floor. She shuddered and rolled onto her hooves to continue lying on the cushion.

She didn’t remember falling asleep. ‘Could that have all been a dream?’

“Twilight?” Luna asked as she glanced around her surroundings.

She wasn’t there.

Luna jumped up to her hooves in a panic. She galloped to the wall, looking for the door she had seen Twilight go through in her dream. It didn’t take long to find it.

She opened the door without a second thought and as she was about to fly down into the abyss, she heard somepony humming.

Relaxing a little, she looked around the great library. “Twilight?”

The humming continued, it was a familiar song, though Luna was unsure of where she had heard it before.

Luna wandered around the shelves, searching for the source of the humming. She made her way back to the central fireplace before realizing that the humming was coming from above her. ‘Curse the acoustics of this place,’ she thought to herself.

She calmly made her way to the staircase, as most libraries, including hers, had the rule; no flying. She ascended the steps and looked around. Thankfully, the second floor was open, the only books here lining the circular wall. Still no Twilight.

The only other floor was the balcony for stargazing. Elated in the fact she had found Twilight, she bounced up the steps to the balcony where Twilight lay on the red velvet couch, an open book in front of her, occasionally looking up to the telescope, all the while humming softly to herself.

“Twilight!” Luna called as she reached the top of the stairs. “I’ve been looking all over for you.”

‘I’ve got to stop reading those Daring Do novels…’ Luna berated herself.

“Huh? Oh, Luna, what’s the matter?” Twilight asked as she looked up at the princess.

“I was… just a little worried when I woke up and you weren’t there.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You fell asleep and I got kinda bored so I came up here,” Twilight said as she got up and walked over to Luna before giving her a small hug.

“It’s alright Twilight, you have free roam of the library as you please. I just had a bad dream was all,” Luna admitted, returning the embrace.

“Oh? Tell me about it.”

“W-well…”

As Luna told Twilight of her dream, Twilight began to blush. In reality, what had happened had not been all too different from the dream, up until they reached the door with the abyss. Instead of going to the door, Twilight had gone up the stairs looking for something to distract herself.

“Twilight, are you all right? Your face seems to be getting red, do you have a fever?” Luna asked as she placed a hoof on Twilight’s forehead. “My, you seem to be burning up! Come, let’s get you back to the castle and you can get some rest and good food.”

Twilight pulled out of Luna’s grip, her blush intensifying.

“I-I’m fine Luna, really-“

“No, I insist you return with me to the castle and rest,” Luna said commandingly. “Do I need to make that an order, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight’s ears pined back. “N-no, Princess Luna.”

Without any warning, Luna picked Twilight up in her magic and placed her on her back and made her way down to the first floor where the book that would take them back was. All the while, Twilight groaned to herself, wearing a slightly annoyed face that the princess never saw.

Author's Note:

So here it is, a day later than promised and for that, I apologize. Hope you enjoy this chapter.