• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 3,157 Views, 67 Comments

That which Holds the Moon - TimeLord_Whooves



Ever since her return, Luna has been alone with nopony but Celestia to talk to, that was, until Nightmare Night, when she gained a friend who accepted her almost without any hessitation. What is this funny feeling in her heart?

  • ...
6
 67
 3,157

Luna's Library

The halls of Canterlot Castle were quiet, unless you took into account the loud laughter of Twilight Sparkle as she ascended the spiral staircase alongside Princess Luna. Luna had bumped into Twilight as they walked and so Twilight had playfully responded with a shove which quickly escalated into a shoving match up the stairs.

When they reached the top, Twilight’s laughter rose as she finally managed to knock Princess Luna onto her side. The two continued giggling as Twilight helped Luna back onto her hooves and they began down the empty hallway back to Luna’s tower room.

As they reached the door, Twilight stopped her giggles and looked questioningly at Luna.

“I thought you said we were going to your private library.”

“We are,” Luna said, smiling mysteriously.

She opened the door and walked inside, Twilight followed, filled with intense curiosity. This time when Twilight walked in, she looked around, looking for another door or anything that could be hiding the door. The only thing that jumped out at her though, was the single, solitary bookcase which had five shelves and stood just off to the side of Luna’s ornate desk.

Twilight stepped over to it, watched closely by Luna, and inspected the bookcase. It was flush against the wall, making it impossible to see behind. She tried moving it, it wouldn’t budge. She sighed, stepped back, sat down, and stared at it, mind reeling.

Luna giggled quietly, bringing a stern look from Twilight, she wanted to figure this out herself. Luna smiled sheepishly and allowed her to continue inspecting the bookcase, she was so cute when she was contemplating.

After a few moments, Twilight got up and stepped back up to the bookcase, looking closely at the titles of the books now.

“Aha! I think I figured it out,” Twilight said, turning to Luna to confirm her suspicions.

“Oh?” Luna asked, giving Twilight a fake curious look.

Now Twilight wasn’t so sure, she could see through Luna’s guise and it made her feel less confident.

“I… er… Maybe if I pull on this book…”

Twilight tugged a book off of the second to the top shelf. Nothing happened. Twilight looked down at the book she now held in her hoof and deflated.

“But… I was sure,” Twilight said sadly. “I thought the bookcase would move or something.”

Luna just smiled and put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“Pray tell, what is the title of the book you just pulled out?”

Twilight looked down and read the cover.

“The Library Bathed in Moonlight…”

Twilight looked up at Luna, curious. Luna simply continued to smile back.

“Open it,” Luna said excitedly.

Twilight cocked her head at Luna, shaking it uncomprehensively. She looked back at the book and flipped the cover open.

In the blink of an eye, the room around them was gone, replaced by ebony shelves with books of every size stretching out in all directions. A fireplace appeared, a fire lighting itself in its hearth, in the center of the now giant room, along with several comfy looking bright red cushions. As she looked on, Twilight saw dark blue walls forming. A marble staircase appeared, leading to the second floor which just a balcony with shelves covering the rounded walls. Another staircase popped up and ran all the way up one of the walls to the ceiling, ending in a balcony with a comfortable looking couch and a telescope pointing out of the window. She looked up to find that the ceiling was a dome of windows, through which the moon and stars were shining brightly.

Twilight kept spinning on the spot, taking in everything. The room she now found herself in was just so beautiful. Luna watched as Twilight began running between the bookshelves, looking at the titles as she passed by them. When she finally reached the fireplace, she began jumping with joy. There were so many books she had never read here.

Luna giggled and walked over to join Twilight by the fireplace. As she approched, Twilight calmed down and waited there, smiling sheepishly.

Luna sat on one of the cushions and said, “Well I am glad to see that you will be enjoying yourself in my- er… our library.”

Twilight’s face froze in shock. “D-did you just say, ‘our library’?”

“Yes, indeed I did.”

“B-but, I-I don’t… What? Why?” Twilight asked, flustered.

Luna giggled again before responding. “Well, you are welcome here anytime you want so it is no longer mine, and only my library. It is yours as well now.”

Twilight’s eyes began to water. “Oh Luna, thank you!”

Without any warning, Twilight jumped over to Luna and gave her a tight hug before bounding off in search of a book. She wanted the first book she read here to be a very, very special book that she would never forget.

Luna sat there for a moment, stunned at Twilight’s reaction. When she regained herself, she looked around to see where Twilight had gotten off to.

“Twilight?” Luna called out across the shelves.

A lavender head popped up over the set of shelves to the right of her. “Yes, what is it Luna?”

Smiling, Luna replied, “I just wanted to ask a small favor of you.”

Cocking her head, Twilight asked, “A favor? What kind of favor?”

“Oh, it’s just… There are a few books here that even I haven’t read. I was w-wondering if you’d… r-read one of them to me?” As she spoke, a blush had crept up on Luna’s face, this was the real reason Luna had brought Twilight to the library. She wanted to be read to by the one she hoped would be her very special somepony.

Twilight sat there for a moment, staring at Luna. She found it cute how flustered Luna was. Realizing that she was staring, Twilight coughed and looked away.

“O-of course I can read you a book. Which one w-would you like me to read?” Now Twilight was blushing.

She remembered Rainbow Dash had asked her on several occasions to read Daring Do books to her, it was just a friendly gesture… So why was she getting flustered over Luna asking her to read to her?

“There is a book in here called, Trapped in Winter Daydreams. If you wouldn’t mind finding that, I would very much like to hear you read it.”

Twilight smiled, “Very well, I’ll be right back.”

It only took Twilight about ten minutes to find the book, the system for the library was fairly simple to understand. Within moments she was bounding back down between the rows of books carying a small, paperback book in her magic.

“I’ve got it Luna,” Twilight said, making herself comfortable next to the princess on one of the cushions.

Luna smiled and waited for Twilight begin reading.

Author's Note:

Sorry for leaving the story like this when I won't be able to write for a while, you'll just have to wait until September, that's when I know I'll be able to write again. So until then, thank you all for being patient.