• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 3,157 Views, 67 Comments

That which Holds the Moon - TimeLord_Whooves



Ever since her return, Luna has been alone with nopony but Celestia to talk to, that was, until Nightmare Night, when she gained a friend who accepted her almost without any hessitation. What is this funny feeling in her heart?

  • ...
6
 67
 3,157

Twilight's Arrival

Twilight jumped off the train the second it pulled in at the station and ran as fast as she could up to the castle. The guard ponies were making to close the gate but stopped when they saw the lavender blur running up to them.

“Halt!” one of them commanded before the revelation of just who it was that was running up to them hit him. “Oh, Twilight Sparkle, you’re very late. Luna has long since lost hope that you would arrive.”

As he said this, Twilight heard sobbing coming from high atop one of the castle's towers. Her gaze fell upon the weeping princess and she quickly galloped into the castle. The guards let her run by, only giving her a concerned look as she passed, then giving the silhouette on the tower the same concerned look.

“Two whole hours.” the other guard said to the first. “Poor Princess Luna… I wonder what kept Twilight so long.”

“Who knows? I’m just glad she managed to show up at all.” he said as they resumed the task of closing the heavy gates.

Twilight was running as fast as she could through the castle, weaving her way through the many servants that jumped out of her way as she went past. The sounds of Luna’s crying were getting louder.

Just a few floors from Luna’s room, the crying suddenly faded. Twilight couldn’t understand, ‘Why was Luna so upset, it was only dinner, some catching up, maybe some games later, so why would her being late make Luna this upset?’

Twilight came bursting into the room. Standing on the balcony, was Celestia.

“Princess Celestia? Where’s Luna?” Twilight asked as she gasped for air.

“Twilight Sparkle. You made it, though quite a bit late I must say.” Celestia said calmly, though with a sad expression. “Luna is quite upset that you didn’t show up for dinner. She had something important she wanted to talk to you about.”

“What is it?” Twilight asked as she stepped onto the balcony with her mentor, watching the fading shape of Princess Luna as she flew away.

“Go ask her yourself, I’m sure you can think of a way to catch her.” Celestia smiled as she turned and headed for the door. “Better hurry or she’ll get out of range.”

Celestia winked with her last word before closing the door behind her. Twilight turned back towards the dark figure getting further and further away into the night sky. As she watched, her mentor's words rang through her head, 'Better hurry or she'll get out of range... Range!', a thought popped into her head, it was going to be a long shot and potentially dangerous, but she had to catch Luna. The prospect of losing her as a friend just because she was late was unacceptable; she had to show Luna that she cares.

She focused her magic around herself and with a flash of magenta light she was gone. When she reappeared, she found no ground beneath her hooves and fell freely through the night sky. She let out a sharp scream as she suddenly hurtled toward the dark ground.

Princess Luna was crying, barely able to keep herself steady as she flew, not paying attention, or even caring where it was she was going, so long as it wasn’t where she had just come from. What caught her attention was a loud scream and a lavender mare falling in front of her face. She looked down in shock to see Twilight Sparkle flailing about as she fell to the ground.

Luna quickly dived after her, folding in her wings to gain the speed she needed to catch Twilight. She passed the falling unicorn and swooped up, catching her on her back, a considerable distance before they hit the ground. The added weight however, forced her to the ground, though she had managed to slow her descent enough to not get hurt. She crouched slightly as she gently reached the ground and with a push, she hurled herself back into the air with Twilight, half conscious from shock, on her back.

“What were you-?! “

“I-I’m sorry I’m late… had some trouble with the train.” Twilight cut off, giving Luna a weak smile before fainting.

Luna turned and looked at Twilight for a moment with a worried expression. She flew back to the castle as fast as she could. As she landed on the balcony, she looked Twilight over. Content, she lay Twilight on her bed and waited for her to wake up.

***

Luna wasn’t sure when it was she had fallen asleep but when she finally awoke, it was to find herself clinging tightly to the still sleeping Twilight Sparkle. She quickly jumped away, in fear of creating an awkward situation if the lavender unicorn woke up being held by her princess. The sudden movement caused the unicorn to stir a little but after a tense moment, she relaxed and let out a soft sigh as she continued her relaxed breathing.

Luna felt herself blush a little, as she watched the peaceful looking Twilight, ‘she looks so cute while asleep,’ she mused. She found herself transfixed, staring at Twilight, her eyes drinking in every feature of the lavender mare’s beautiful face. Her eyes wandered from Twilight’s eyes, to her slightly tousled mane and down to her slightly open mouth. ‘Those lips look so soft; I wonder just how soft they are.’ Luna unconsciously bent her head down slowly, moving closer to those soft, moist lips.

Twilight groaned and blearily opened her eyes causing Luna to be pulled from her trance. She jumped back again feeling her face grow hot as she blushed, even more than the last time.

Twilight rubbed her eyes as she began to wake up. Though she wasn’t sure, she could have sworn that she saw Luna leaning over her before jumping back. She shook the thought out of her mind, writing it off as her eyes playing tricks on her.

“P-Princess Luna…” she said groggily, “Where am I?”

The lavender unicorn tried to look around but her vision was still blurry from having just woken up. She didn’t remember anything of last night after she had been caught by Luna.

“You are in my chambers Twilight Sparkle,” Luna said calmly, managing to compose herself as she fought back her blush. “You fainted as I brought you back to the castle, you appeared to be just fine so I laid you down on my bed to rest.”

Twilight’s vision had cleared and she was now looking up at Luna with a curious expression. Luna began to worry that she had been seen bending down to inspect the unicorn’s lips.

“Have you been watching over me all night?”

The question came as a shock, she had been expecting to be asked to account for her earlier actions. She considered for a second before deciding it better to tell the truth, though, with a couple details omitted of course.

“No, I was watching over you for a time but I grew tired and fell asleep next to you. I awoke a short while ago and…” She considered again, ‘if Twilight did see me then that will be her next question.’ “I checked you over again to make sure you were still alright.” she finished with a comforting smile.

Twilight returned the smile but something seemed wrong in her mind, she thought, ‘I did see her bending over me, and that pause is suspicious…’

Before either of them could say anything more however, Twilight’s stomach grumbled loudly. Looking down at it, she realized she hadn’t eaten anything since lunch yesterday. Luna looked at her and giggled.

“It seems it is time for breakfast.” she said as she began walking slowly to the door. “Understandable, considering you missed dinner last night.”

Even though Luna hadn’t said it in an accusatory, or even irritated, tone, it still made Twilight feel a little embarrassed. That wasn’t the only thing that had caught her attention however. As Luna reached the door, she looked back at the now blushing Twilight and giggled again. Twilight didn’t remember ever hearing Luna giggle before, at least not like that; she found it quite… cute.

Author's Note:

Yay! Inspiration hit, I actually quite like how this chapter came out. Feedback is still nice though.