• Published 3rd May 2013
  • 3,157 Views, 67 Comments

That which Holds the Moon - TimeLord_Whooves



Ever since her return, Luna has been alone with nopony but Celestia to talk to, that was, until Nightmare Night, when she gained a friend who accepted her almost without any hessitation. What is this funny feeling in her heart?

  • ...
6
 67
 3,157

An Interesting Morning

Twilight Sparkle awoke the next morning to the sweet smell of breakfast cooking. She got up and went straight for the bathroom as it said on her daily schedule.

Having taken a quick shower, and brushing her mane, tail, and teeth, Twilight went downstairs to find out what Spike had cooked for breakfast. As she entered the kitchen, her eyes opened wide and her jaw dropped.

“Spike!”

The dragon popped his head around the door from the main room of the library. “What is it Twi-“

Twilight picked the dragon up in her magic and proceeded to hug the life out of him, all the while saying, “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!”

Gasping for air, Spike managed to squeak, “What’s the big deal, it’s only breakfast. I make you breakfast all the time.”

Letting him drop to the floor, Twilight moved over to the counter, ogling the food. “The big deal is that it’s my absolute favorite breakfast, Spike! Apple cinnamon and brown sugar pancakes! You almost never make this for me… Except for when you want something…” she finished in a suspicious tone. Turning back to him, she said in a, ‘just say it’, tone, “What do you want this time?”

Spike’s gaze shifted from the unicorn, to the counter, and back. “I don’t know what you mean, Twilight. I just thought that I’d make you your favorite breakfast once in a while.”

“Uh-huh…” Twilight said as she raised an eyebrow at Spike. The dragon gazed back, a sincere smile crossed his face. “Huh, I guess you can be nice for no apparent reason then.” Twilight said with a smile and, turning back to the counter, she made herself a plate, letting Spike think he'd gotten off the hook. The dragon sighed softly.

She set the plate down on the table and made to sit down to eat before asking knowingly, “Of course, this has nothing to do with what happened yesterday, does it?”

Spike's smile faltered and the dragon began to shift his gaze all over the room, looking anywhere but at the unicorn sitting at the table. “Whatever do you mean, Twilight? Can’t I just make you breakfast purely out of the kindness of my heart?”

“Play it up all you want, it doesn’t help your case,” Twilight said as she levitated the fork cutting into her pancakes.

Spike sighed. “Okay fine, I made it as an apology for almost destroying the library yesterday... and to ask if I could, maybe, have the day off tomorrow?”

Twilight looked at him, scanning him over with narrowed eyes before grumbling, “Okay, but only if I don’t have anything majorly important to do here at the library, and also because you fixed the library and you made me my favorite breakfast.”

Spike jumped up with glee and ran out into the main room again before popping his head back into the kitchen and saying, “Oh, and by the way. A letter came for you either late last night or early in the morning, I found it next to my basket when I woke up.”

“A letter? Let me see it!” Twilight nearly sent the table flying in her excitement as she jumped up and gave the dragon a big smile, rivaling that of Pinkie Pie.

Spike ran up to the bedroom and retrieved the letter, bringing it down to Twilight in less than a second. Twilight stared at him for a moment, taking the letter in her magic, and said, “You’ve been hanging around Pinkie Pie too much.”

Spike gave her a questioning look as Twilight inspected the letter. “This isn’t Celestia’s seal. It’s… Luna’s?”

Opening the letter and beginning to read it, she said, “I guess it has been a while since I last sent her a letter.”

Her eyes grew wider as they approached the bottom of the page. “Oh, my gosh! She invited me to have dinner with them!” She began running around the room in a panic. “What if this is some kind of test? What if Luna wants to take over my training?”

“What if Luna just wants to hang out with you. After all, the last time you saw her was last Nightmare Night and that was ages ago,” Spike said, attempting to put an end to the small chaos.

Twilight looked over at him, blushing. “You’re right, that’s probably all it is,” She gave a nervous chuckle before heading back up to her bedroom leaving her pancakes with only one bite taken from them.

She walked up to her desk, pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill and began to write out her response.


Dear Princess Luna,

It has been a while since our last meeting hasn’t it? I’m sorry I haven’t been able to talk to you more, I’ve been really busy with things around the library and my friends here in Ponyville. So, I would love to join you for dinner tomorrow. Also, I think that book you are referring to was written by my friend, Written Paradox. He’s been wandering around town with Pinkie Pie so he’s been writing some weird books lately. It was a good read if you like fictional works. I prefer to stick with the facts, it’s all non-fiction for me.

Sincerely,

Twilight Sparkle


Twilight looked the letter over, scratched out the last line, and rolled it up, putting her seal on it.

“Spike! I need you to send my reply!”

The baby dragon came running up the steps. “You called.” he said as he bowed to Twilight.

She levitated the letter over to him and began to walk back down to the kitchen to finish her breakfast. Spike let out a belch of green fire and the letter was gone. He hummed his way down to the main room of the library and began to read a rather large and old book.

“Spike!” Twilight shrieked, running out of the kitchen. “Why did you clean up my breakfast?!”

“I’m sorry Twilight, I thought you were done.”

“I had only just started eating it.” she cried, exasperatedly.

“Relax, there’s more on the counter.” Spike said as he walked into the kitchen and made her another plate.

“Thank you, Spike.” Twilight pulled him up into another hug before sitting down and eating the whole of her pancakes in ten seconds flat.