• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 313 Views, 7 Comments

Wheatstalks Bruised and Burnt - JackleTheKitsune



The story of a brother and sister, setting out into the world.

  • ...
 7
 313

Bruising Brother

Bruising Brother

A wall of sharp and pointed objects arranged themselves before the three ponies as they entered the room. Set into several sets, each seemed more painful and unwelcoming then the last.

“I'll deal with this one, fend for yourselves.” Starstrike said slowly making his way to one such tangle of torture.

Fireblossom and Edgeburn shared a look with one another, a sort of sibling understanding passing between them.

“Is there a cloud I could just grab?” “Can I just find some rocks?” The two asked their questions at the same time.

“Sure, whatever, these beds are the ones that got rejected from the training academies, so I don't blame you.” Starstrike said with a yawn as he sat on his bed. He watched with half lidded eyes as Edgeburn tapped one of the other beds in the barracks with a hoof.

“Don't worry, only the first two months will feel like you sat on a porcupine.”

“Oh joy” Edgeburn remarked while climbing into possibly the most uncomfortable bed he had ever encountered.

“Yeah, then I bet they'll start feeling like visiting a doctor's convention, needles everywhere and each one digging deep into your hide.” Fireblossom said with ire as she tried to get comfortable.

Edgeburn felt his eyes widen as something scurried from under his pillow after he attempted to fluff the granite reject. “Was that a bug living in my pillow?”

“Oh yeah, just work up a good sweat every night and don't shower till morning, it'll keep them off.” Starstrike said sounding like he was already about to surrender to Luna's watch.

“Look Edgie, they like me!” The brother looked over with his mouth wide as Fireblossom played with three beetles exploring her odd tails.

“I never thought I’d want to be back at the academy” Edgeburn grumbled.

“You'll get your wish soon enough, we have to be up in a few hours, it's Saturday, and before we get the next day off we have to be evaluated.” Starstrike added a small harrumph as he rolled over.

“What?” Fireblossom asked letting the beetles wander off.

“Every Saturday, bright and early, the militia shows up, watches the fort for the weekend, we get our leave, but first we have to do our evaluations, should be fun. Now get some sleep, if Truffle or Axebeard has to wake you two up you won't like it.”

“Understood Sir” Edgeburn said hiding a groan as he set his head down, hopping Luna could aid him.

“HUUMYAAAH!” A large bellow shook the room, it's volume alone making the windows rattle in protest. Next to it's origin sat four ponies holding their ears, all but one looking surprised.

“He's still asleep?!” Gemma said incredulously as Axebeard collected his breath.

“I told you, if Edgie is dreaming it's almost impossible for him to wake up.” Fireblossom said as her new fellow soldiers stared at her sleeping brother.

“Can I try now?” Starstrike said around he hammer in his teeth.

“I don't think that will wake him up, if anything it will knock him out, how nice that would be.” Truffle said without much enthusiasm.

“Don't worry, I said he's almost impossible to wake, anypony, or uhm...” Fireblossom stumbled.

“Taur” Gemma offered.

“Anypony or anytaur got any hay or straw?” Fireblossom asked before Truffle seemed to pull a quick strand from somewhere.

“Might as well” he remarked.

“Now what, don't tell me the PFC is ticklish?” Axebeard said scratching his head.

“You're ticklish Axey” Gemma said with a devilish smile that made his mouth shut.

“Nope, now we light it on fire.” Fireblossom said as she struck a match and brought the burning straw close to Edgeburn.

“Arson alarm clock, never thought of that.” Truffle tilted his head.

“Just one last thing” Fireblossom said, leaning in closer with the straw below his nose. “Edgie, the storybook is on fire.” She whispered before jumping back as far as she could.

In a whirlwind of motion, Edgeburn spun off the side of the bed, lifted the mattress with a hefty yank spun back and bucked it towards the door. “FIRE!” he yelled.

Unluckily for him, between him and the 'fire' were three other ponies and a minotaur. Starstrike managed to jump out of the way, Axebeard grabbed Gemma and dove to the floor, and Truffle just sighed as the mattress hit him with a heavy thud.

Edgeburn took in the scene with much confusion before a voice finally called from outside the door.

“That was wonderful PFC Edgeburn, but we're all going to be late for the evaluation at this rate.” Truffle said while extracting himself from the mattress.

“But, I, Fire, Danger, Mattress” Edgeburn's words seemed even more confused than himself.

“Yep, Edgie's fine. Get yourself ready, it's evaluation time!” Fireblossom yelled loudly in her brother's ear.

“Ugh” Edgeburn's truest thoughts came forward.

“How eloquent” Gemma said as her and Axebeard turned to leave.

Dust billow in the early morning, the confines of the fort serving to trap the whirling morning breeze. Eight ponies stood at attention, each wearing what looked more like tattered work clothes with badges then actual armor. Their eyes wandered, their legs would readjust themselves every so often, and most of all, their smiles betrayed them.

“That could have been me” Edgeburn mumbled as he looked across at the reservists. He refused to turn his head, but his eye shifted and he stole a glance at the other six figures in his own line. Fireblossom's mane whipped back and forth, never in her face, but as if it was restless. Luckily, she stood a bit shorter than he did which let him see the stark red of Starstrike, his horn being a dead giveaway as well as the odd hammer which now hung above his left fore-hoof. Tumble Root's tall but muscular form was hard to miss, his spear slung across his back. Then again, the even larger Axebeard was visible a short distance after him, his hulking form hard to miss from quite a ways away. A soft sky blue wing fluttered up for a minute between the two and Edgeburn gathered that Gemma's smaller size hid here between the two. All that left was Truffle who seemed to be somewhere past Axebeard but still all around invisible to Edgeburn.

“ATTENTION!” an alabaster unicorn barked from the head of the procession. Her armor gleamed in the official gold of the guard, Her mane wavering only slightly as the wind finally died down, almost at her wish. She slowly strode forward, her presence very commanding. “You all know what is expected of you, and today I shall evaluate your skills for the sake of our fair princesses!” Even her softer tone sounded commanding. “Firstly, for the sake of the townsfolk so generous to aid us, ATTENTION!” with her bark Edgeburn instinctively brought himself to full salute, his compatriots doing the same, even his sister focused long enough.

Across the way the reservists all brought their hooves up, not all the correct one, but they tried, faces fixing in determination. Even if they weren't highly trained, Edgeburn felt they could have defended the town in a crisis. “Now that the formalities are out of the way, VOLUNTEERS!” Even if it came as a shout, the question was clear, step forward or stand your ground.

“HUMMYAH!” the large bellow made more than a few reservists flinch as Axebeard stepped forward, his large weapon at the ready. “PFC AXEBEARD, ACKNOWLEDGED, CHALLENGER!” the commander said, her eyes scanning them sharply.

“Might as well” came the rather undignified response as Truffle Tussle made his way out to the center, a small dagger entering his mouth as he did so.

“All units, prepare the field!” The order was given and everypony made room, allowing a nice sized circle to form around the now combatants. Edgeburn looked at both of their faces, Truffle looked like he was stifling a groan while Axebeard's expression was hard and ready.

“Who do you think is going to win, Edgie?” Fireblossom asked from his side.

“My bits are on Axebeard, he looks like he is really ready for this fight.” Edgeburn answered with a smirk.

“Betting on my Axey is normally a smart move, I hope he does pull this off.” Gemma said surprising both of them.

“Nah, Truffle has this one.” Starstrike said looking rather excited.

“The strongest rocks eventually crumble” Tumble said cryptically. “But they break faster if you hit them harder.” he offered at the end with a smile.

Edgeburn stole another glance at the direction their commander had gone, seeing her observing from the sidelines as a zebra stood next to her, his head swaying to some unheard song. “So, I take it that is our commander?” Edgeburn asked getting a look from the three veterans.

“Yes, that is commander SilverDawn.” Gemma finally said after silence had set over them.

“Oh, yes, the rather relentless one.” Starstrike added rolling his eyes.

“Don't forget The Bard” Tumble let another smile grace his face.

“INITIATE!” came the bark from SilverDawn.

“INITIATE!” the cry came and the two combatants sprang to life. Axebeard's towering form was almost doubled over, one hand holding the axe to his side, ready to be reaped across anything that crossed him. The other was nearly on the ground as he charged at Truffle, horns held low as if to gore him.

Across from him Truffle backpedaled as if caught off guard, he rolled over himself when he tripped, coming up with a slight wound already on his leg. Axebeard was soon on him, the axe moving to sever Truffle from his legs. At the last second Truffle jumped over the axe, fear showing on his face like it lived there.

With a quick flip Truffle was past the reach of Axebeard who narrowed his eyes, seeming to challenge lady luck to grant him another escape. Rounding on his back hoof Axebeards next strike was strong and could have easily broken bones through armor. Truffle ducked this time, sliding on his side through the harsh dirt. He rose on the other side of the swing, a deep red liquid hitting the ground below him.

On the sidelines Edgeburn sat with a nervousness hidden behind his training, surely that was blood, the match should be over, but SilverDawn gave no indication of stopping.

“Truffle has it” Gemma said with a small sigh.

On the field a great downward strike cleaved the ground, small rocks spraying up to shower the now sprawling Truffle. A quick horn rush on Axebeard's part was poised to go right through his now staggered opponent. Truffle's eyes widened before a last second deflection from his dagger saved his hide. Axebeard's momentum however carried his skull against Truffle, the knife sailing overhead and out of his grip as his breath left his lungs. A few small pouches also seemed to be loosed from Truffle's body, one landing at Axebeard's hooves.

The minotaur slid his hoof forward, read to bring in another quick swipe when it disturbed the now discarded bag. A small pop was heard before a smile emerged from the heap of limbs that Truffle had landed as. Axebeard grimaced before rushing forward, his one leg seeming to lag ever so slightly. His swings clawed at Truffle, but he was a new pony, dodging quickly and quietly shoving half opened bags at Axebeard all the while. A cloud of brown dust filled the air from one, making Axebeard close his eyes and swing blindly.

In the confusion, Truffle retrieved his knife, sank it deep into a bag, and then rushed hurriedly at the staggered minotaur. “ Well, that was time consuming” Truffle said in almost monotone as he jumped the next blind swing, skittering to a stop on Axebeard's side.

“EEEERAAAAAH!” Axebeard finally broke his silence as he rolled from the cloud, a mighty swing ready to rip Truffle in half. The brown pony just fell to his stomach limply, as if gravity had just claimed him as it's own. “I've lost.” Axebeard said with a small pout as he looked down.

Molasses clung to his hooves, rooting him in place now, chocolate dust covered most of his body, clogging his nose and burning his eyes. Then, poised to make a quick jab to his stomach, was Truffle with red pepper lining his knife.

“Match Corporal Tussle!” SilverDawn called as if she had already know the result.

“But, how, did he just?” Edgeburn's confused words caught the attention of his comrades.

“Truffle is a sneaky one, once he started planting molasses on the ground Axebeard was in trouble, with him losing his firm footing and then being rooted in place, the Corporal just had to bide his time till he could move in.” Tumble Root said with his smile seeming more and more common.

“He fights really tricky, I like it Edgie!” Fireblossom seemed to be beaming, her eyes lit up like it was Hearth's Warming Eve.

Truffle Tussle slowly pulled himself from the ground, sheathing his knife before trying to help Axebeard pat the dust and various concoctions from his fur and hooves. The two smiled happily as they worked, slowly making their way in front of SilverDawn.

“Report” the unicorn boomed staring down at them with the same fixed glare she had held all morning.

“PFC Axebeard's tactics were ideal. He pressed the attack early, kept up the heat, and used smaller motions to not let himself be off guard as much. A split second later on the deflection and my knife would have been far too out of reach and I would have had to restrategize, using up more resources, and energy, possibly leading to a lagging of my reflexes and therefore the match.” Truffle said seeming serious for the first time that day. SilverDawn's eye looked over Truffle before turning to look at Axebeard.

“Corporal Tussle's retained control of the situation under heavy fire, and despite my best efforts was able to implement his strategy with only minimal risk. While I did my best to conserve my energy in the even I became ensnared I didn't keep my footing proper enough to gain the right amount of leverage. When I went to adjust my stance yet still keep up the attack I became predictable and Corporal Tussle quickly ended the skirmish.” Axebeard concluded with a small snort and a smile.

“Your field evaluations are exemplary, At Ease.” SilverDawn softened for just a second.

“So Fireblossom, did you want to get something to eat afterwords?” Edgeburn felt his ears pick up as he looked at Starstrike his mouth resting in a small smile as he waited for her answer.

“Well, I am kind of hungry” She answered, beginning to think it over.

“Now wait just a minute, where would you two--” Edgeburn began.

“PFC WHEATSTALK!” the shout from SilverDawn cut him off.

“Yes Commander!” He saluted quickly.

“I take it you were volunteering for the next round?” She said in a way that didn't come off as a question.

“Challenger?” She called scanning the remaining troops. Edgeburn stood still, hoping to save face. Until of course, he had an idea spring to mind.

“Commander SilverDawn, I would like to challenge Corporal Starstrike.” Edgeburn said as respectfully as he could. Gaining the eye of the strict unicorn Edgeburn noticed all the others glancing his way.

“On what grounds do you challenge?” She asked in a calm but calculating tone. Edgeburn resisted the urge to shiver before answering.

“Test my skills against an unknown opponent and to gain insight on the fighting style employed.” Edgeburn resisted the urge to smile, surely this would work.

“PFC Wheatstalk, What is Corporal Starstrike's favorite food, What is his heritage, and how long has he served?” The question took Edgeburn off guard.

“I don't know Commander.” Edgeburn said shortly after composing himself.

“If you had to guess?” SilverDawn was looming over him, her glare making his coat feel like it was coated in lead.

“Hayfries, Unicorn, Four Years.” He finally answered.

“Wrong on all accounts, if you don't know even the most basic things about your enemy it is foolish to face them, even more so to announce to them your intentions first. While honorable, honor has it's place in war, but so does strategy. REQUEST DENIED!” she barked at him with the ferocity of a dragon.

Edgeburn just stood there for a moment while his brain tried to process what had just happened. The gears slowly turned, trying to build up speed when an odd sound shocked Edgeburn from his reflection.

“I Challenge PFC Wheatstalk on the grounds of furthering my understanding of his fighting style and mentality. As a solider under my direct command it is imperative I not only know about him, but also how he fights in an unexpected situation so I can best instruct and scold him!” Starstrike's voice rang out clear and loud.

SilverDawn seemed to hesitate and permitted herself a soft sigh, “Acknowledged Corporal Starstrike.” She spat lightly.

Edgeburn and Starstrike made their way to the center of the grounds, staring at each other. With a slow steady movement Edgeburn stomped down on each step, making sure his Iron Horseshoes were in place. Across from his gaze Starstrike bent his neck down and pulled a hammer from it's place at his side, the short shaft and heavy head not seeming to bother him in the slightest.

Both stood their ground a distance from the other, blood coursing, adrenaline starting to ready itself. With their eyes a silent conversation took place, each daring the other one to make the first move, to try and take the other down. The conversation switched into a heated debate, and finally into a fervor before both broke out in a sprint towards the other. Somewhere, unheard by them a shout rang out across the field.

“INITIATE!”

Their hooves rushed forward, each find as much purchase as possible on the dry El Pinto soil. Edgeburn's eyes were set firm on Starstrike, and his mouth muttered words hammered into him from training. “Unicorn opponent, standard procedure is to give them little time to concentrate, stay in their blind spot, keep close so larger magic attacks are risky. Most unicorns needs to be facing the direction they are casting to keep proper control. Heavy hits recommended, bones are thicker than pegasi, hit pressure points and joints to maximize discomfort and disrupt magic.” The last words left his mouth as he went for a strong pivot, swing his entire body around while his legs rocketed back at Starstrike's head.

Starstrike jumped over the strong buck, twisting in the air as he jumped, bringing a blow down on Edgeburn's back with his hammer. He smiled as it connected before a small frown became apparent. “Glancing blow” he spat around the handle as he landed, turning to face Edgeburn.

“Press the attack!” Edgeburn snarled, tossing off the discomfort and springing forward as his opponent turned. Launching himself into a small dive to build momentum his right hoof raced up to connect with Starstrike's turning head. A quick spin by Starstrike however put his hammer's head directly under the hoof meant for it's owner.

Edgeburn followed with a quick left cross, rearing up to gain full use of his hooves. The cross connected with the hammer but a follow up downward stomp with his now freed right hoof hit Starstrike's shoulder with dull thud. He landed on all four hooves as Starstrike staggered for a moment, his horn beginning to light up. Edgeburn raced forward, jumping high to come down with a powerful kick to the head.

With a small smile, Starstrike's hooves began to glow as Edgeburn sailed to meet him. He turned his head, putting his hammer in front of him before he rocketed into the sky, his jump launching him higher then the fort and his hammer delivering a wicked uppercut to Edgeburn's head.

The dark stallion was flipped end over end, landing belly up in the dirt, pain ricocheting around his skull. High overhead, Starstrike had peaked his jump and raced down, his target clear. Edgeburn saw Starstrike coming, the unicorn's hooves spread and his head poised to swing once he landed. With just a second to spare, Edgeburn's back hooves swung up, kicking Starstrike's backside up and over, the heavy hammer just missing his head this time.

Starstrike had a moment of surprise as he was moved forward until he felt something pull at his fore hooves. Edgeburn had taken full advantage of the situation and shoved his hooves around Starstrike's, pivoting the unicorn down into the dirt. Edgeburn rolled to his hooves, standing in time to see Starstrike bounce from the impact and recover, only slightly inconvenienced.

“NO HOLDING BACK!” Starstrike yelled, jumping high to bring his hammer back down. Edgeburn jumped back before pressing forward, the loud thud from the hammer striking the ground ringing in his ears. The ashen stallion's hooves collided with Starstrike's hammer in a quick parry. Jerking his hammer up he launched the two hooves perched on it flipping Edgeburn backwards.

“Thing fast” Edgeburn said more to himself than anypony else as he stuck out his hind leg, trying to use his momentum to windmill Starstrike. Instead he felt a harsh crunch, then a great pain shoot up his leg as Starstrike's hammer bashed it down, knocking Edgeburn to the ground. He had just enough time to roll out of the way of another hammer strike while tossing in a kick for good measure.

Both stallions stood a sort distance from each other, short ragged breaths punctuating the air for a moment. Without ceremony they rushed at each other again, a whirlwind of hooves jabbing left and right against measured heavy fells of a hammer, neither taking the time to dodge or block anything but the bigger of the blows, trying to land as many hits as possible and take the other out. Shoulders, haunches, flank, barrel, jaw, crown, back, limbs and hooves alike all suffering impacts that caused thuds of pain from both sides. Edgeburn finally ducked under a swipe of the heavy hammer and delivered a nice rising hit with his hooves, sending Starstrike staggering back.

“Earth means I can outlast him.” Edgeburn breathed with a smile, just now noticing his one eye seemed to be swelling itself shut from an impact he couldn't place in the right order. With a snarl Edgeburn raced forward just as he had at the start of the fight, getting ready to pivot for a strong buck.

“Got you” Starstrike ran at him, faking left before jumping over him when Edgeburn pivoted. He looked down to smirk at Edgeburn when he noticed something odd about the buck. His opponent had pulled his front hooves from the ground, un-anchoring himself and sitting on his shoulders with his hooves aimed straight up. With a strong kick Edgeburn's hooves pushed up into Starstrike's waiting stomach, his hammer flying from his mouth as he landed in a small pile on the other side of Edgeburn.

Edgeburn pulled himself up, the fight not over yet. He trotted closer, noticing that his wounds were starting to hurt more. He wondered for a minute if something might be broken but he couldn't think completely straight. With a glare he stopped, seeing Starstrike come to his hooves as well. With a glow of magic Starstrike's hammer cam rocketing towards Edgeburn, his tired body not moving fast enough and taking a hard blow on his side knocking him to his haunches.

Looking over Starstrike jumped to the sky, his hammer meeting him halfway as he raced down. “DRIVING SKY FALL!” the unicorn shouted as he raced down to connect his blow.

On the ground Edgeburn reared up, ready to land his own blow. “Reach for the sky.” he muttered, the habit from as a truant officer coming back.

With a heavy thud, Starstrike's skull impacted Edgeburn's strong hoof, spittle flying from his mouth as Starstrike was knocked away. Edgeburn however, had left himself open, and while he connected with Starstrike, the hammer's momentum still carried as well, his stomach taking the full force, bile rising in his throat and a small cough of blood following him as he too was launched back from the impact.

“EDGIE!” the cry rang out from the sidelines, the first outside noise either of them had heard despite the loud cheering from the militia. For a moment, both stallions laid there on the ground, neither moving until finally, with a loud groan, Edgeburn rose to his hooves.

He smiled out at his sister,both of her as she bounced in his vision, his other eye swelled shut he grinned like an idiot before an angry blur appeared in his vision. “PFC WHEATSTALK, What was that!” SilverDawn yelled directly into his folded over and swollen ear.

“I won Commander” he said dumbly before falling to his haunches.

“I'll have a word with you PFC.” SilverDawn said coldly before stalking away, barking something over at Fireblossom and Tumble Root. They approached Edgeburn and Starstrike, Fireblossom taking her brother and Root taking Starstrike and shambling towards the barracks.

“We'll have to get you two to the nurse...” Tumble Root said for once his smiling seeming to be missing. Edgeburn looked over at Starstrike's bruised body and tried to think of something witty to say.

“Gural” his mishmash-ed words came out of his loose jaw as spit and some blood poured out, garbling his words. Fireblossom rolled her eyes at her brother before adding a small giggle.

Tumble Root just glanced over, noting the string of saliva trailing to the ground, the bruises covering most of Edgeburn's face and the dumb grin that looked like a few teeth were loose in it. “Dignified.”

Comments ( 1 )

Best chapter yet!

Login or register to comment