• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 314 Views, 7 Comments

Wheatstalks Bruised and Burnt - JackleTheKitsune



The story of a brother and sister, setting out into the world.

  • ...
 7
 314

Revealing Roseblaze

Revealing Roseblaze

Cherry red orbs blazed underneath my fur, each one doing it's best to peak through my dark coat. A sharp pain throbbed in my hooves, each ring expected but unwelcome. Tiny silver bullets streamed across my vision, some looking like the snowflakes we had only recently extracted ourselves from. My teeth were barred, as if pulling my lips back would let more air into my hammering lungs. But, past all of that, the most concerning thing, was the violet flames dancing across my eyes.

I was cold, I was out of breath, but most of all, I was confused.

My mother and father had smiled when we returned, although they seemed confused. We had gotten home an hour earlier then planned, but things hadn't gone exactly as planned. Hushed whispers immediately flew from Granny, and Dad's eyes narrowed while Ma just looked confused. Without much ceremony they swept Fireblossom into the kitchen and locked me out.

“We just need to make sure your sister is ok, why don't you get ready for bed Edgeburn?” my mother said through the door. I didn't blink as my imagination fills in her nervous tail swish and slight flick of her left ear. My mother should have never let me play poker, her tell became too noticeable.

So now I stood, outside the door, staring through the old keyhole, thankful this farmhouse was so old. I picked up my ears, ready to listen in as well when an odd humming seemed to fill the air, distorting their words slightly. As confusing as it was, Fireblossom's look was even more concerning.

At first she seemed interested, then excited, but she quickly began looking bored and started to nod off. Her head finally hit the wooden floors and everyone in the room seemed to stop for a minute to look at her. As if her sleeping was too important, the odd hum finally died away. I shook my head just a bit to clear my ears, finally I could get some answers.

“So, you're sure she is a...” My mom started.

“Afraid so Pristine, she's like my mom here.” Dad said, his eyes flicking between Fireblossom and Granny.

“But, what does that mean?” she asked turning to the eldest one in the room.

“I have no idea, I thought I'd find out with my son here, but he didn't show even the slightest sign of my blood. Or, at least that's what I thought, you sly boy you, hiding all that inside of you.” There went Granny, getting off track again. With a quick raise of my hoof I stopped myself from sighing. “The main thing you want to watch I guess, is her tail.”

“What about her tail” I whispered to myself.

“What about her tail?” Dad and Ma seemed to think the same thing I did.

“Well, other then the obvious change, if it changes back that could be something, or nothing. The biggest thing I guess would be more.” Granny said examining Fireblossom's puffed out tail.

“More? Summer? There is more? How many?” Mom was freaking out, but asking the right questions, what did she mean by more.

“Well, I guess it depends on how much of me she has in her. If she were full blood, it would be another, hundred years before another emerged, as it stands, I have no idea.” Granny said with a violet flame engulfing her tail.

My eyes widened as five puffy tails now trailed behind her. The magenta color still on them, with their tips pure white. It looked familiar, like I'd seen it somewhere before.

“Fox tails” I said more to myself than anyone, but from everyone turning to face the door I knew I was caught.

“Edgeburn, are you out there son?” my dad called, already knowing the answer.

I wanted to lie, I really wanted to not say anything and slink away before the door would open, but I had made a promise earlier, and saying nothing would be just as bad as lying.

“Yes, I'm out here Sir.” I knew it, he knew it, I was in trouble, Sir it was.

“Come take your sister to bed, shes... We've had a long day, it's time to turn in.” he sighed before saying anything.

I entered the kitchen, pushing the door lightly as a small violet and blue flash came from the side I'd seen Granny on. She was still there, her tail back to being singular and normal. Although I wasn't sure if it even was normal anymore, this night had been nothing but confusing.

I placed Fireblossom in her bed, tucking her in trying not to stare at the foreign tail. It matched her coat perfectly, but the fuzzy foxlike appendage was so alien. I knew there was only one answer to what it could be, after last summer, there was only one thing it could possibly be.

With her wrapped up, I turned to my bed, and sat on it, waiting for her to show. I kept my dad's old horseshoes on, ready if I had to fight. I may not have joined the reserves yet, but even I would put up a good fight. Luckily for me, she was in my room sooner than I thought. Her pressure on my bed startled me slightly, as much as I didn't want it to show. Without turning, I spoke to her in a whisper.

“Want to tell me how you got in here?” I asked shortly.

“Would you believe the furnace?” She asked as she had earlier.

“Before no, but now, just maybe.” I finally took a peak at her, still normal.

“How much did you hear?”

“Not much” I replied truthfully.

“Oh, well...”

“But I saw enough to know what you are, and what Fireblossom has in her...” I grinned seeing her frown deepen.

“You always were good at figuring out problems, so you know what I am huh? Are you mad?”

“I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I might have to report it if I get into the reserves.” I said too coldly for my own liking.

“What?” she seemed both worried and confused. I leaned in close, raising a hoof in case I had to strike.

“If you had any part in the invasion, I'll have to report you.” I clarified.

“Invasion, boy, what do you think I am?” She asked while pushing herself back from me.

“I know you're one of them, You're a changeling!” I couldn't help my voice from rising.

“I'm a changeling?” She said in less of a confirming tone and one more confused.

“I can forgive that if you” I started only to get cut off by her laughter.

“Ahahahah, oh boy, consarnit, I can't laugh quietly, oh me, a changeling, a big ol bad bug?”

“But, the fire, and the changing, and.. the exoskeleton to survive the explosion, it all makes sense!” I wasn't giving up that easy. I stood my ground, ready to strike this was just a trick, it had to be, I would be ready for anything.

“You're an idiot brother.” Except for that.

Her pillow hit me squarely in the face, making me look over at a grinning Fireblossom.

“She's not a changeling, she's a kitsune.” she said without a hint of worry.

“Say wha?” my words failed me most elegantly.

What could only be called the most elevated form of conversation soon flowed from me and my sister. It's fine melodies wrapping each others words in a dance older than creation. While her and I could really tell the masterful wordponyship at display, Mom, Dad, and Granny seemed to have another word for it, bickering.

“This is getting nowhere you two, cut it out now before the entire house wakes up.” Granny said, pushing us apart. I didn't even remember getting that close.

Fireblossom recovered quicker than I, “Ooh, Granny, you said you'd show me, can you show Edgie too? I know he's got horseshoes for brains but even he'd get it then.”

“Hey!” and another point to my little sister, why is it so easy for her?

“Fine, I guess it will settle it.” Granny said getting up from the bed.

I decided to shut up, sitting my rear down on the floor with a small thud. If I hadn't it would have been there in a minute as my grandmother burst into flames. A glance at Fireblossom just showed her smiling like it was Hearth's Warming Eve.

“This, is a Kitsune” the creature said stepping out from the flames that quickly flickered from existence.

Edgeburn and Fireblossom wore much the same look, jaws currently trying to find mining permits for how low they were from their homes. A six tailed fox stood in front of them, magenta in color with bright blue eyes.

“This is my true form, I am over six hundred years old, and Fireblossom appears to have some of my blood in her.” The multiple tailed fox spoke.

Edgeburn felt like asking a question, but before it left his lips he hit the floor, his hooves slipping from before him. “a what?”

“A Kitsune, it's a magical fox with multiple tails, see?” She said shaking her tails for emphasis.

“So wait, you're saying my sister is a magical fox?” Edgeburn asked with as little tact as equinely possible.

“No, that would be silly, your mother is a completely normal earth pony, and your father is a exceedingly normal looking pegasus, he just seems to have passed it on. That makes her about, a quarter Kitsune, so mainly a magical Pony-fox hybrid of sorts.” Granny explained with a smile spreading from her to Fireblossom.

“Did you even hear yourself?” Edgeburn said a bit too quickly.

“oh come on Edgie, this is so cool. Granny says I'm already immune to most fire, and, if I'm lucky, I'll keep getting cool stuff.” Fireblossom was practically dancing, her new tail bobbing in excitement as well.

“What other stuff?” Edgeburn asked, taking a deep breath.

“Well, there is small illusions, like sight and sound, changing your appearance, making fire, shape-shifting, longevity, and agility.” She rattled off the things on the top of her head.

“Did you say shape-shifting?” Edgeburn could of swore he caught that wrong.

“Well you saw me in my Pony form not long ago, what do you think, wasn't in my fox form when I was carrying my son.”

“Granny! Fireblossom is still young!” Edgeburn bit back, afraid to ruin his sister's innocence.

“It's fine Edgie, it's really easy to understand, Obviously with Pa being such a big pony Granny couldn't have carried him if she wanted to like that, she's too short, he'd be dragging all across the ground.” Innocence check.

Just as I was about to groan Fireblossom's eyes went wide, too wide, her smile matching as well. “Oh no.” I breathed, hoping Luna might save me.

“Did you say I could make FIRE!?” subtly eludes my sister once again.

“well, I know I can, but it's a very, very hard power to manifest, I was three hundred before I could do it. Most likely you'll get small things like making odd sounds, some things move, or the ability to change color or mane-styles on a whim. It comes in handy for hiding your tails, er tail.

I woke up the next morning with one thought in my head. Fireblossom. She was already bullied as kids often do, but with this new heritage coming up, she would be more bullied than ever. I couldn't be at her school to protect her, but I had to make her safe some how. Then it came to me, after the Changeling attack on Canterlot two years ago, they occasionally stationed Guards at the higher profile schools. Baltimare had one of those, and I had a form to join the reserves.

My mother came down the stairs as I was having a nice bit of oatmeal. “Sorry for all the excitement last night Edgeburn, did you sleep well?”

“Nope” This not lying thing was going to need some work on, that just sounded rude, even if it was true.

My mother bit her lip, “Sorry about that, I never imagined Summerset had any of Roseblaze's heritage in him. She said herself he had almost nothing but her eyes.

She continued on for a bit, then noticed the long form sprawled across the table.

“Edgeburn E. Wheatstalk, what is this?” she said, the edge in her voice the same as the first time she'd seen it.

“Application for the Royal Guard.” I said, not a lie, truth, just not as in depth as I think she wanted.

“What BRANCH of the guard?” Yeah, certainly not getting past her.

“Active duty, civilian watch?” I answered, seeing her anger drop just a bit.

“I thought we agreed on the reserves?”

“If I get this as Active, I can guard the schools, I want to help look out for Blossom mom, she's going to have hard time with all these changes!”

“Can't I convince you to switch back to reserves?” She asked, a gleam in her eye.

“Not really?”

She took a moment to look at the form again.

“Edgie, I thought this was blue, why is it yellow now?”

“This is my half, for proof of submission, the other half just got picked up in the mail.”

She glared daggers at me as she smiled.

“That's your father's boy, never listening to me.”

“Yeah, neither of them listen too often do they?”

“neither of them, hurry up, you're grounded for making your mother cry.”

“Awe mom!”