• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 314 Views, 7 Comments

Wheatstalks Bruised and Burnt - JackleTheKitsune



The story of a brother and sister, setting out into the world.

  • ...
 7
 314

Prelude

The soft wind blows across the open field, sliding up the farthest hills and out of sight. With it dances the crop, scores upon scores of wheat swaying with it before sluggishly springing back. The amber fields are almost ready for harvest, but I know that for the fifth time now, these fields will only be weeded, the wheat left to do what it will.
While strange, this process has become almost second nature for my family and I. Watching over this field and the nearby hill it attempts to take every year. Looking closely you can see the line from last year, where the wheat burned, and failed to make it up the hill. It doesn't take long to decide, the field will burn in three days.

As my legs carry me from this wondrous place, and back towards the farmhouse, I contemplate the burn. Last year was the first year when we did the burn, and it was so sad. Among these thoughts are the reasons for my sorrow. Eight years ago, we planted five stalks of wheat over my father's body. We let it grow free for the longest time. Three years ago, my uncle passed, and we planted him upon the hill, always one for heights. Then, last year, my aunt had died, and it was for her that we lit the field on fire.

I enjoy thinking of the great things left in that field, the once razor sharp horseshoe that now is blackened and dull, the long slender pole that marks my uncles place, and the sweet ruby circle that enclosed it courtesy of my aunt. It doesn't take long for me to reach home, my tears falling every now and then across the fields. Soon, my mother's cooking is evident in the air, and I relish it's scent. She isn't particularly good at cooking, but I recognize this as the scent of fried turnips on a simple wheat grass bread, my fathers favorite.

Without a word she turns to me when I enter, and from her smile I am reminded of the greatest tale I've ever heard. The story of my father, my uncle, and my aunt, and how they made this world so good for me to live in.
This is the tale of the Wheatstalk Siblings, and my Uncle The Valiant one.