• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 3,546 Views, 159 Comments

The Seven Tribes - Scootaloo-009



An ancient race bent on overthrowing the Princesses emerges after 2000 years of hiding

  • ...
8
 159
 3,546

Bonus Chapter: The Story of Gold Wings

The story of Gold Wings

by Scootaloo-009, a.k.a. Mechsrule1

If you're new to this series, be aware this is not chapter 1 and shouldn't be read first.

The griffon race was in its infancy. Discord had brought them back from the bring of extinction three hundred years previously, and they were still trying to figure out their place in the world. Every being seemed out to destroy them, since as minions of the element of chaos they were abominations. It didn't help that the griffons were quite aggressive to begin with and were always feuding with other races and themselves.

Ponies were a source of food in those days. Not all griffons felt this way, and doing so was frowned upon, but the law against eating a sentient was not to come for centuries. Ponies were not aware of this, and griffons were treated as monsters to be exterminated as soon as a clan was found.

The story opens during a series of skirmishes between the griffons and the mountain dragons. Dragons while outnumbered could handle a dozen or more griffons at once. While it hurt their dwindling numbers, the griffons wanted the mountains for their homes. The mountain dragons disagreed, and went on the offensive.

After a large mountain dragon destroyed a griffon settlement, the surviving clan fled towards pony lands with the dragon in pursuit. While slower, he tracked them tirelessly.

The dragon caught up with them near Clopstantinople, a pegasus stronghold. To this day nopony knows what it was that drew Gold Wings to the spot, or made her go to the aid of the carnivorous griffons, but when she saw the dragon she flew to intercept.

"Why have you entered pegasus lands?" Gold Wings demanded.

"I am removing these pests from my land," the dragon replied. "Once they are dead, I shall leave."

"This is pegasus land. Dragons are not welcome," Gold Wings declared, brandishing her trusty spear.

"Out of my way pony or I'll take care of you too," the dragon snarled.

"I warned you," Gold Wings shouted before charging the dragon head on.

The battle was fierce but to this day no bards sing of the glory displayed in that moment. Gold Wings never spoke of the details of struggle, and no pony else witnessed it first hoof. While smaller and not fire proof, she was more agile, and could dodge most of the dragon's swipes and fire blasts. Being a mountain dragon, the fire was weak but the ones that hit still burned just the same.

With her spear in hoof, Gold Wings singlehoovedly slew the dragon. Her black armor was covered in blood as she trotted away, holding up her weight with her spear. Large chucks had been torn away by the dragons claws, and she didn't get far before collapsing from the wounds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gold Wings woke up in a cave. Ever the warrior she took stock of her situation. Her armor was gone, somepony had bandaged her wounds, and she could see her spear resting against the far wall. Her side was wounded, as well as both right legs but her wings seemed intact with just a few singed feathers. She tried to get up, but her side wound flared, and she fell back.

"Please do not move," a clacking voice said. She turned, and saw a beaked visage staring back at her. "You will make the injuries worse. They need to heal."

"Why have you brought me here?" she demanded.

"The patriarch will answer your questions," the griffon replied, walking off. Shortly after, he returned with a larger griffon behind him. The large griffon bowed to Gold Wings. Bowed so deeply his beak clicked against the floor.

"If it had not been for your actions my clan would certainly have been slaughtered," the large griffon said. "You have my eternal gratitude for that."

"I only did it because he was in pegasus territory," Gold Wings said plainly.

"You did not need to do what you did. You could have left us to our fate, but you did not," the larger griffon replied. "Your reasons matter little next to the deed. Is there anything else you wish to ask of us?"

"Yeah as a matter of fact there is," Gold Wings said. "What am I doing here? I thought griffons ate ponies. Shouldn't I be your dinner right now?"

"You wound me. The Alsara (al-sara) clan would never dare eat another sentient," the griffon replied. "We saw you succumb to your injuries, and took you to a temporary home to heal on my orders."

"Okay, and you are?"

"I am Tansas (tawn-sass), Patriarch of the Alsara clan. You can stay as long as it takes for you to heal, but you will always be welcome with us."

"You'll have to pardon me if I don't trust you," Gold Wings snapped.

"It is understandable. We griffons haven't earned the best reputation. There are plenty of clans out there that would view you as a talkative meal. That is not the way of the Alsara clan," Tansas explained.

"So you said," Gold Wings muttered. "Last question. What are you doing here?"

"We were simply fleeing from the dragon you killed. If you wish for us to leave your lands we shall do so," Tansas answered. "Our home was destroyed by that dragon. If it is okay with you ponies we would like to build a settlement on a nearby mountain. I am not sure of the name you use, but it is just right for us."

"I'm just a warrior. I have no real power in Clopstantinople," Gold Wings explained. "You'll have to take it up with the general. That is if you can even get near the city."

"It seems we have a favor to ask of you then," Tansas replied. "But please, get well first..."

"I'm Gold Wings, a warrior of Clopstantinople."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was a couple days before Gold Wings could stand again. Even then her side burned, and she leaned on her spear, but anything was better then lying there watching beaked faces stare at her all day an dnight. Gold Wings learned the griffon she had first seen was the clan's remaining healer; the dragon having killed the others. The healer took great care to ensure the pony was comfortable and fed. Luckily the two species had similar diets and she could eat what they had except any meat.

It would still be a day at least before Gold Wings would be able to fly back to Clopstantinople, but she got up with the help of her trusty spear, and was determined to not remain a sitting duck for the predators. Limping around, she made sure to examine everything for any future need.

The cave was quite large. Where she had awoken was a small alcove while the rest was dominated by a couple dozen griffons. Most seemed to be in mourning. One thing that really stole Gold Wing's attention, was the fact that there were maybe two foal griffons in the bunch. Was that the right word? Foal? As she limped around, she ran into Tansas again.

"You are walking already? It fluffs my feathers to see you were not seriously hurt on our account," Tansas said.

"Ponies are fast healers," Gold Wings said simply.

"So I see. As you see, this is the Alsara clan, or what's left of it," Tansas said sweeping a talon in front of him, "all because of that accursed dragon."

"That's what happens when you provoke a dragon," Gold Wings replied.

"We had done nothing. We had simply settled on a mountain top. A very low mountain top. Then this dragon attacked us, claiming it was his land. He didn't even give us a chance to leave before attacking. So many of my clan have perished, and we still have no home to show for it," Tansas said, actually crying.

"What happened to the griffons anyway?" Gold Wings asked. "We had always believed they were extinct then right when Discord took over they began popping up again."

"We were never gone. Your ancestors tried to kill us all off," Tansas explained. "We have no memory of that time, but what we understand happened is a demon you call Discord, appeared to our remaining kin, and offered us a deal. He would ensure our return from the brink of extinction, if we did just one thing for him. Pledge our eternal loyalty to him."

"And you accepted? Just like that?"

"What would you have done? It was that or the end of the griffons. So we swallowed our pride and accepted, but the demon went too far. He destroyed our minds and rendered us beasts. During that time everything we were was lost. As Discord grew in power, so did we. Eventually our minds returned to us but by that time it was too late. Too many generations had passed.

"When Discord called out to us to help him, in his final hour, we refused and he was defeated. By whom even we do not know. With the demon dead, we were free again. But we needed a home. We've been fighting for one since then, and our numbers have only fallen as consequence."

"So why do you keep pissing of earth dragons?" Gold Wings asked. "Wouldn't it make more sense to live where they're not?"

"Unfortunately they seem to already inhabit all the places we find suitable to live in," Tansas replied. "Griffons need open mountain tops and plateaus to live on. Asking any less would be like asking you winged ponies to live on the ground instead of on clouds."

"I'd fight a dragon for that," Gold Wings agreed. "So you said you needed a favor?"

"Yes," Tansas replied. He led the pony to the mouth of the cave and pointed with a talon at a mountain in the distance. "That mountain is perfect for griffon settlement. If it is okay with those in charge of your city, we would like to build a village on it."

"That's Haystack I think," Gold Wings thought out loud. "I can probably get you to speak to the General, but I can't guarantee he'll go for it."

"A chance for peace is more then we have had in years."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Gold Wings grumbled, as she flew back to Clopstantinople with Tansas following. As she neared the city, several warriors rushed out to attack the griffon. "He's with me," she shouted as they neared. Recognizing her, they held back.

"What ever you say Gold Wings," one guard said flying off.

The odd pair touched down inside the city, and strode into the command center. At once Tansas had a dozen spears aimed at him, but he didn't flinch.

"Stand down. He wants to speak with the General," Gold WIngs declared. The spears were pulled back, but remained trained on the griffon. Gold Wings led in through the building to the command chamber. The general and his nine lieutenant generals turned and eyed the pony and griffon entering.

"What is the meaning of this?" shouted one lieutenant.

"Bringing an enemy combatant here! This is treason!" another yelled.

"General Sure Hooves, this is Tansas. He means no harm. He wishes to speak with you," Gold Wings declared standing at attention, addressing the lead pony. Outfitted with overly elaborate armor that would be only a hindrance in battle, General Sure Hooves looked a bit silly, but his face was very serious.

"Very well. I will hear what he has to say, only because you vouch for him," General Sure Hooves said with a nod. "At ease soldier." Gold Wings relaxed a bit, but only a bit.

"Thank you very much," Tansas said bowing deeply. "Because of the actions of this brave pony, my family still lives."

"I simply kept our lands clear of dragons," Gold Wings said modestly to the General. "Any warrior would do the same."

"We saw the body, but we feared the worst when we found your armor nearby without you." a lieutenant said.

"Killing a dragon alone is almost unthinkable." another said.

"She should definitely be promoted for this." a third added.

"Enough. Let the griffon speak," General Sure Hooves shouted over them. At once the other ponies fell silent. "Go on."

"As I said, because of her we live. That dragon attacked our home, killed many of my clan, and followed the survivors as we fled. My clan is quite small and we couldn't hope to fight it ourselves, but this pony saved us. When we saw her fall, we brought her to our home, and did our best to heal her."

"I would have figured you'd have eaten her," a lieutenant sneered. A look from the general shut him back up.

"My clan, the Alsara clan, does not hunt ponies. It is not our way and never will be," Tansas explained, "the reason I am here, is to ask that we be allowed to build a new settlement on a nearby mountain. I believe you call it Haystack. It is perfect for a griffon home."

"Why not go to another griffon home?" a lieutenant asked.

"We have no such place," Tansas said sadly. "Our cities of old are long gone, if we ever had any. Now they are home to mountain dragons or inhospitable now. Besides a few settlements, there are no griffon towns or cities. But living on the ground is not the way for griffons to be. Asking a griffon to live on the ground, would be like asking you pegasus to do so. We need to be high up; not on clouds like you but on mountain tops. If you allow us to live here, the griffons will no longer be nomads. We will have a home once more."

"I don't like it," A lieutenant stated.

"Nor do I. If we allow them to stay, other griffons will come," another agreed.

"They will. We are not the only clan that does not hunt ponies. Only clans who follow this code would be allowed to settle," Tansas said.

"I don't buy it," one lieutenant scoffed.

"We should kill them right now," a second snarled.

"No, run them off. If we kill them then we are no better," A third said.

"Please," Tansas begged. "We have been homeless for so long. We just want to end this constant migration."

"Griffons are too violent," a lieutenant replied.

"They are little more then talking animals," another spat.

"What do you think Gold Wings?" the General asked. His face was unreadable.

"I've been living with them for more then a week now. They are aggressive, sure. Maybe a bit violent, but they are honorable to. Something no animal is. They don't try to start fights. Griffons would make a far better ally then enemy. I can't speak for every griffon, but the griffons I met simply want peace and a home," Gold Wings said slowly.

"No matter what becomes of this, you have our thanks for trying," Tansas said to Gold Wings. Then he spoke to General Sure Hooves directly. "If you wish for us to leave, then we shall do so at once without complaint."

"Is this mountain within our territory?" General Sure Hooves asked.

"It is just inside the boarder," one of the porters replied after consulting a map.

General Sure Hooves was silent for a long time while the lieutenants continued to argue and bicker. Most were completely against the idea. The rest were only slightly against it.

"I've made my decision," General Sure Hooves declared. At once the lieutenants fell silent, and turned to him. "I will permit the settlement on a few conditions. You can only build on the top thousand feet of the mountain, and any hunting you do must be done out of our lands. I will also expect you to keep any new griffons in line. You personally will be held accountable if they attack any citizen of this city."

"General you can't be serious," one lieutenant snapped.

"You're just giving into your mare," the one next to him accused. General Sure Hooves sent them a death glare and they sat back down sheepishly.

"His mare?" Tansas whispered.

"We're dating," Gold Wings replied simply.

"And that means?" Tansas asked, but General Sure Hooves continued.

"We will not always be able to trust the earth ponies or the unicorns. They are ground bound. But griffons are our kin of the sky. It is in the best interest of the pegasi to have allies like this. I would rather have them as friends then foes. If you think I am unfit to command then prove you are a better leader, and beat me in combat." The lieutenants didn't respond. "I didn't think so. What do you say to my conditions griffon?"

"Your terms are more then acceptable," Tansas said bowing even more deeply then before. "I will never be able to express what this means to griffon kind. Should anyone ever threaten this city of yours, we will defend it to the last, even from other griffons. You shall never regret this."

"Porter make sure the troops are informed of our neighbors," the General ordered.

"Yes sir," the porter said leaving the room.

"I must go tell my clan," Tansas said leaving as well. Gold Wings followed him. They silently flew through the city until they reached the edge where they stopped and sat down side by side. "Gold Wings, I have something I want to tell you."

"Yes?" Gold Wings asked curiously.

"I would be honored if you were to join my clan," Tansas replied. Gold Wings cocked her head not understanding. "From time to time a griffon is at odds with his or her clan, or more often, wishes to form a matingship with a griffon from another clan. They can join another clan if the patriarch offers to bring them in."

"So what does it involve?" Gold Wings asked.

"We're still working that out," Tansas admitted. "When Discord destroyed our minds we lost much of our culture. All the old ways were lost. We've had to start anew now that we are free of him. Early on there were just small differences between us but that grew, and soon we formed groups that we called clans. Each has its own customs and traditions. It is my hope that having cities once more will help unify us again.

"For the Alsara clan, once a new griffon is accepted to join the clan, they are given the clan's mark. That's it though a feast follows to celebrate. I think we shall skip that for you. Meat is not for ponies after all."

"So what is a clan mark?" Gold Wings asked, now interested. "And what does it mean?"

"A clan mark means you are a member of that clan. A blood-sister. An honorary griffon in your case. You would have equal rights within the clan to any other full member. I wouldn't count on this working all the time, but most other clans should respect your griffon status. If you ever have hatchlings of your own, they will be eligible to become clan members simply by right of birth," he explained, then held up his front left leg, exposing a scar in the shape of a tree. "This is the mark of the Alsara clan. If you do me the honor of accepting you will receive one as well."

"Huh. Just how often does this sort of thing happen?"

"Of the griffons in my clan you have met, there are seven blood-siblings among them," Tansas replied. "However it has never happened in known griffon history that a non griffon has been offered this. What you have done for us is beyond measure. I am at a loss to think of anything we can do to express our gratitude in a greater way."

Gold Wings was quiet for a while, thinking about it. There wasn't a downside besides a scar but she had plenty of those already. If she ran into another griffon it could save her life. The other ponies would probably treat her funny if they knew but how would they? They'd just assume it was a funny looking scar or something.

"I happily accept your offer. I would be honored to join your clan," Gold Wings said finally.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gold Wings was beginning to have second thoughts. In full view of the clan her left foreleg was being held out straight, pinned in place on a stone slab by some straps. Before her was the clan healer, messing around with various materials and mixing them together before dipping a knife in the concoction.

"This is a very unique poison," the healer explained to her, "the wound will heal but the poison causes it to scar no matter what."

Great so now you poison me.

"That is all it will do. No griffon has even been sickened by it," the healer replied to her thought.

"Gold Wings, you have been offered the chance to join the Alsara clan. Do you accept?" Tansas asked, standing behind her.

"I do," She replied, following the ceremony.

"Do you swear to always act in a manner that honors the clan?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to always respect and abide by the rules and customs of the clan?"

"Yes."

"Then join us," Tansara said stepping back. The healer came forward and stuck a foul brown thing into her muzzle to keep her from biting her tongue. Then the healer lowered the blade to her foreleg.

She bit down as the blade pierced her flesh. The metal stung as it was expertly moved around tracing the shape of a tree into her leg. The healer had to stop every couple strokes to reapply the poison to the blade. The whole process took a couple minutes but felt like hours. Then it was over. Her leg was freed and wrapped in bandages. The wound burned fiercely, but she put on a brave face.

"Alsara, I give you our new blood-sister, Gold Wings," Tansas declared. "May the wind always be at your back."

"And your skies always be clear," Gold Wings replied with the traditional pegasus farewell.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"And that's how it was explained to me by my mom," Scootaloo finished.

"So... what happened next?" asked the green filly before her.

"Well, the griffon's built their city like they said they would. You can see how Still Tail turned out," Scootaloo said, waving a hoof at the city around them.

"Wait, that happened here?" asked the other, blue, filly.

"Well yeah. You asked about the city," Scootaloo replied.

"So... what happened to Gold Wings?" the blue filly asked.

"Well, her son became a blood-brother, but after that I don't really know," Scootaloo answered.

"Tell us another story!" the green filly asked.

"Okay, another story while we wait for the tournament to start," Scootaloo agreed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you like this story, you should check out some of my other works:

My tumblr, an alternate universe mixing MLP and Cyborg 009.

Forever a Changeling, my new story starring Rainbow Dash as a changeling.

Samurai Applejack, a drastically different kind of story. It’s rated mature for violence and some suggestive lines.

Night of the Werepony, what I consider to be my worst story, but it’s my most popular. It’s just one chapter long.