• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 3,548 Views, 56 Comments

Broken - PinkamenaPiePrincess



Scootaloo struggles with her home life even as she begins to realize it was never her home

  • ...
4
 56
 3,548

I'm With You

I'm With You

8 years later...

"Come on you worthless brat, it's time for school!" a voice hollered as it had for as long as Scootaloo could remember. The 16 year old pegasus rolled her eyes. Here we go again.

"I said, COME ON!"

"I can get myself to school, mother!" she snapped back. She was fed up with this. She'd been putting up with her parents for 16 years. Scootaloo slung a bookbag onto her back and hopped out the window, yet again thanking Celestia for the first story window. Making her way to the garage, she pulled out her scooter. No longer a skateboard on wheels, though that thing had served her well, this one was a sleek, two wheeled scooter, decorated with her cutie mark. Yes, her cutie mark. Her talent? Stunts, usually associated with wheels, though also in the air. As a filly, she never would have guessed.
"SCOOTALOO!" her mother hollered again, but she couldn't hear anymore. She was on her scooter. Her best solace in a world gone wrong.

She finally arrived at school, which she hated, but it was better than home. Her best friends ran up to her.
"Scootaloo! Yer late, again...!" Apple Bloom complained.
"Duh. I'm always late, loser," Scootaloo teased.
"Well, we should really get to class or we're gonna be in trouble," Sweetie Belle urged.
"Yeah, yeah," Scootaloo said.
The three friends headed to class, Scootaloo had to shut out every word she heard from people in the halls.
"My Daddy is taking me to..."
"My mom wants to take me shopping at..."
"My parents are totally lame, they grounded me from video games!"
Yeah, totally lame. No video games? Oh pooryou. My parents lock me in my room for weeks and only let me out to use the bathroom and go to school.
The day passed slowly. Scootaloo and her friends passed notes in class, and almost got caught, and for a while Scootaloo felt like a normal teen. That all ended when the bell rang at three.

"Well, Ah gotta go, Scoot. Hang out later?" Apple Bloom asked.
"Yeah...if I'm ungrounded. Or if I can sneak out. Meet at the old clubhouse?"
"Sure thing! You too Sweetie Belle!"
"Yeah, sure!" Sweetie said.
Scootaloo didn't hear her friends after that. Her "tapes" had started again. The ones she'd had since she was a filly.
"Useless. Worthless. Brat. Ungrateful. Useless. Worthless. Ungrateful. Useless. Worthless. Ungrate..."
"There you are you worthless brat!" Her mom jolted her out of her tapes only to restart them.
"Hi mo..."
"Don't you dare 'hi mom' me, brat. You have chores. You're grounded for a reason you know."
"Yeah ok mom... "

"Stormy, don't be so damn hard on her. She can't help that she's worthless," Scootaloo heard her dad call from the kitchen. There was that word again. Worthless. Useless. Ungrateful.
"Don't defend her Twister, she's a lazy worthless, ungrateful, son of a..." that's where Scootaloo tuned them out. She finished her chores and went to the only place where she knew she could cry in peace. Her neighbor's house. Oh Celestia she hoped Vinyl was home.
Sneaking out, Scootaloo went next door, only about ten feet, and knocked on her neighbor's door. A gruff female voice yelled out, "Yo!"
"It's me, Vi, it's Scoot. They're at it again, can I come in?"
"Sure, kid, come on..." Vinyl opened the door, "Damn kid, what'd she say this time?"
"Oh same old same old. Both of 'em called me useless and worthless."
"Hey, I know you're not either of those things. Come on...let me get you a cola or somethin'. And we'll play some loud ass dubstep so we can't hear 'em, k?" Vinyl comforted. Scootaloo laughed.
"Thanks, Vi,"
"Hey kid, ain't no thing."
The DJ did exactly what she said she'd do as Scootaloo's tears began to turn into smiles. A cola. Loud dubstep, and a comforting hug. Scootaloo let herself cry on the DJ pony's shoulders for a little while. Then she asked, "Vi, why do you let me hang here when they fight or pick on me or whatever? I'm nopony to you. You're an awesome DJ, I'm just a kid."
"Kid, it's the least I can do when I never had me when I was a kid, ya know what I mean, yo?" Scoot shook her head. Never had herself? What?
"I mean...I never had nopony when I was being picked on and yelled at and, yes, abused, by my mom. Well, 'cept my sister Rares...and she wasn't allowed to say I was her sister for years, thanks to mom. You obviously need somepony who knows what's going on and won't force you to go to the authorities until you're ready. I ain't no Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle, I'm just plain old DJ Pon-3. But I'm here for you, kid."
Scootaloo was silent for a minute. Then she said as she fell asleep on Vinyl's lap,
"Thanks Vi. I've always needed a big sister."

***

7 years ago...
"Come on wings!" Scootaloo coaxed herself. She was going to do it today, she just knew it. She was going to fly and her parents, and Rainbow Dash, would love her. Everypony else would stop picking on her, and maybe realize that Sweetie Belle couldn't do magic, even though she's a unicorn. "Come on Scoot, you can do this!" she cheered herself on. Behind her, she heard a rustle. It broke her concentration and she fell the few feet she had hovered.
"Celestia banish it!" she cursed.
"Woah, kid, watch your language. I mean...not that mine has ever been much better," a cool voice said.
"Oh, hey Vinyl," Scootaloo said, slightly nervously. If there was one adult, who wasn't Rainbow Dash, that Scootaloo was ok with, it was Vinyl.
"Sorry, didn't mean to break your concentration or nothin. I was just hangin around and saw you were tryin to fly and thought I'd watch," the DJ said, shrugging. Scootaloo nodded. Maybe...just maybe, she could do this, even with a small audience.
Scootaloo flapped her wings again, rising off the ground a few inches, then a couple feet, then, she was hovering at the base of a tree branch. She opened the eyes she hadn't realized were closed.
"Vinyl! I'm...I'm flying! I can fly!" she dipped a little, but caught herself and her breath. She zipped around the tree a few times, even flew up and touched a cloud, something she hadn't done since she was a toddler.
"I...I'm a real pegasus! I can fly, I can...I can make them love me, Vinyl!"

***

Scootaloo woke up still on Vinyl's lap. The DJ had just let her sleep there, not moving, like a sister would.
"Phew. 'Bout time you woke up kid. My hind legs were falling asleep and sitting like that was starting to get uncomfortable. I don't know how Lyra does it."
Scootaloo sat up fast.
"Sorry Vi, I didn't mean to fall asleep"
"It's good you did, kid. You slept through the worst of it...your parents were fighting again and loudly."
"I'm surprised I didn't wake up then...I'm usually a light sleeper."
"Well, you must of needed it 'cause you were out like a light," Vinyl replied, grinning. Scootaloo grinned back. She DID feel way more rested.
"Well, I gotta get home, Vi, or at least...back in my room. I don't know if I can call that place home. Thanks...you know, for the support"
"Ain't no thing, kid. Ain't no thing."