• ...
5
 71
 5,196

EHL Part IX - Wingin' It

Equestria Hockey League Part IX – Wingin’ It
by XFizzle

The following day after the Ponyville Golden Leafs’ tension-packed, fight-filled victory over the Fillydelphia Flyers, Twilight Sparkle had administrative duties to perform. Earlier that morning, the other Golden Leafs stopped by to donate their share of the team’s 10,000 bit fine to the EHL. Applejack offered to pay more than her share for she was still feeling guilty about receiving a suspension and putting the team in a tough spot. Twilight sent the fine payment along with a message asking if Spike could substitute for Applejack in the Golden Leafs’ lineup for their next game at Cloudsdale.

Twilight nervously paced inside the treehouse, waiting for the EHL’s response. Spike was casually lounging in a chair near the fireplace, reading a superhero comic. Twilight periodically looked over at Spike to see if he had belched a new message. Feeling small vibrations from Twilight’s pacing, Spike peered up over his comic to see what her problem was.

“What are you so nervous about, Twilight? It’s just a letter.”

“It’s not just a letter, Spike, this is a very crucial response that could change everything for this week! If you are not allowed to play for Applejack, then we’re going to have to hold emergency auditions, then we’ll have to pick someone, then we’ll have to teach them, then that totally cuts down my scouting and review time for Cloudsdale. UGH! Why haven’t they responded yet?!”

Spike slowly closed his comic and hopped up from his chair. “I’m sure everything’s going to be okay, Twilight. They’re probably just busy sorting out everything from last night. I mean you guys did make a pretty big mess of things.”

Twilight’s nervousness turned into irritation. “You’re not helping!”

Spike let out a yawn and scratched his stomach. “I’m going to go take a nap. I’ll let you know if anything pops up.”

Twilight tossed herself at Spike’s feet. “No! I need you to stay awake so I can get the EHL’s response! Please?”

Spike sighed. “Alright, but as soon as it comes, I’m going to sleep-*BURP*”

Almost right on cue, Spike belched out a scroll. Twilight leapt up from the floor and nabbed it quickly. Anxious to read the response, she fumbled her hooves trying to open the seal. She gave up on opening the scroll manually used her magic to unroll the EHL’s message.

”From the Offices of the Equestria Hockey League:

Dear Ponyville Golden Leafs:

Your fine payment of 10,000 bits has been accepted and processed. Also, enclosed in this message is a one-game contract to sign Spike, who has been declared eligible to play by the EHLPA (Equestria Hockey League Players’ Assocation). Please send back the signed contract within the next two hours to allow for delivery and processing time. Thank you.

Signed,

Coltin Campbell
Executive Vice President & Director of Hockey Operations”

Twilight happily detached the one-game contract from the main letter and levitated it over to Spike along with a quill. Twilight smiled desperately at Spike, expecting him to sign the contract and to be on their way. Spike looked at Twilight and then swiftly glanced over the terms on the contract. He clutched the quill and went to sign. Before the ink hit the paper, he looked up at Twilight one last time with a playful grin. Twilight responded with a look of confusion. Spike proceeded to chuckle and put the quill down.

“No way! I have some demands first.”

Twilight’s confusion was blown away by anger. “WHAT?! What demands? What are you talking about?”

“Well, I feel like I haven’t been properly thanked for all my hard work so far this season. I’m always at the rink early setting up the locker room, missing out on all the fun stuff you ponies do before the game. I’m always spending the whole intermission fixing pads and skates and taping sticks. And finally, when we’re playing at home, I have to do the announcing on top of the equipment stuff too.”

Spike’s words sunk in for Twilight and she began to feel guilty that the team had not recognized his hard work. She calmed herself down and started to apologize.

“I’m sorry, Spike. I’m sorry we haven’t shown our thanks and appreciation for everything you’ve done for us so far. You have been working hard and I certainly appreciate it. What are these demands of yours? I’ll do whatever I can to fulfill them.”

“That’s more like it! Now, before I sign this contract, I want you to promise me that I will receive double, no, triple the amount of gems for meals! A growing dragon’s gotta eat, you know.”

“Alright, I promise. Now go ahead and sign that contract please!”

“I’m not finished. My second demand is that I get to sleep in until whenever I want. It’s winter, Twilight! There’s no reason to be up at dawn. I mean, seriously. Are you an old mare?”

“Ha ha,” sarcastically laughed Twilight. “Fine, you will receive triple the amount of gems and I’ll let you sleep in. Now hand over that signed contract!”

Twilight reached for the contract but Spike pulled it away. He cleared his throat and announced another demand. “Lastly, I want a kiss from Rarity.”

Twilight slapped her hoof on her forehead at Spike’s ridiculous request. “Spike! What does any of this have to do with hockey?”

“Nuh uh, Twilight. No kiss, no signing. Do you want to forfeit your game against Cloudsdale?”

Twilight grunted out of frustration and sent out a horn-transmitted message to Rarity to call her back over to the treehouse. Nearly ten minutes later, a knock came at the door. Twilight rushed to open it and let Rarity in. Rarity was wearing her best winter saddle with matching scarf, her mane glistening from the icy winter wind. She was bewildered as to why Twilight called her over.

“Hello Twilight, dear. What can I help you with?”

“Well, Rarity, Spike here has a demand that he wants fulfilled before he signs the one-game contract.”

“Ah ha! What do you desire, Spike? A new pair of gloves? A sweater perhaps? Maybe some tiny winter boots for your tiny feet?”

Twilight leaned over to whisper in Rarity’s ear the actual demand. Rarity laughed heartily while Spike sprayed his mouth with mint spray and slicked his scales back.

“That shall be no problem at all, Twilight. I must say I am quite flattered. Come here you little romantic dragon you.” Rarity winked at Twilight mischievously before advancing toward Spike.

Spike giggled and clapped his hands as Rarity approached. Twilight blankly stared on, unable to process what exactly was unfolding in front of her eyes. Rarity leaned in toward Spike as Spike went to his tip toes, lips puckered and eyes closed. With Spike’s eyes closed, Rarity magically teleported her pet cat Opal to her. Spike kissed Opal on the nose and Opal was quickly teleported back home before the tricked dragon could open his eyes. Twilight tried holding in her laughter but was busting at the seams. Rarity opened her eyes, pretending to have received the kiss while Spike melted with bliss, not knowing what his lips really touched. Twilight, still holding in her laughter, trotted over and shook Spike out of his love trance.

“Ready to sign that contract now?”

Spike grabbed the quill and began to sign the paper. “Sure thing, ladies!”

The contract was finally signed and Spike fired it away to the EHL offices. Rarity and Twilight shared another wink and a laugh. With Spike now officially a part of the Golden Leafs roster, the team proceeded with their scheduled practice the next day.

---

The next day came and the Golden Leafs met at Ponyville Pond for practice. Instead of being in the locker room beforehand to prep the girls’ equipment, Spike happily strolled alongside Twilight into the arena. Earlier in the day, Applejack took the liberty of grabbing the teams’ equipment and was now at the arena doing Spike’s usual job of preparing for practice. Twilight and Spike greeted Applejack as they entered the locker room.

“Hello Applejack! Thanks for coming today to take over for Spike and to teach him. It’s too bad you can’t come with us to Cloudsdale for the game though.”

“It’s okay, Twilight. While y’all are gone I’ma go around Ponyville and shovel some snow with Big Macintosh’s plow. I had ta’ take quite a bit out of the farm’s funds to help pay the fine so I’m gonna try to make some money back.”

“Yeah, that was certainly big of you to pitch in more than your share.”

“Well, I am puttin’ the team in a sticky situation. It’s the least I could do,” said Applejack as she lassoed over a box of new hockey gear. “Here ya go, Spike! A set of baby dragon-sized pads.”

Spike’s eyes lit up with delight. He dove head-first into the box. “Thanks Applejack!”

As Spike and Twilight dressed, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie showed up together. Spike gave Rarity a wave to which she blew back a kiss, causing Twilight to bottle up her laughter again from the day before. The Golden Leafs put on their equipment and were soon out on the ice for practice.

Twilight led the team through some skating and stretching drills before it was time to talk strategy. Stressing that their passes had been weak and lackadaisical lately, each skater teamed up with another to practice passing. Off in the other end of the ice, Applejack was talking to Spike, lecturing him on the duties and responsibilities of the right wing. Spike pretended to listen but already knew what Applejack was telling him.

When the passing drills were over, the Golden Leafs had another mini-scrimmage with the magical dummy players used before. Without a hitch, the Golden Leafs were buzzing around and passing with ease. It appeared Spike had seamlessly taken over Applejack’s role in terms of passing and shooting. The Golden Leafs were still lacking a strong, checking forward however. With each successful series on offense, Spike’s ego began to inflate. His cockiness moved him to start taking plays off and lazily drift along the play. Twilight noticed Spike’s diminishing effort and blew her whistle.

“Spike? What happened to you? You’re not even skating anymore.”

“I’m fine, Twilight! Did you see how many goals we’ve scored? These fake ponies are certainly looking like dummies now.”

Twilight paused for a moment to think of a way to motivate Spike to work harder. When an echo reverberated throughout the cavernous, empty arena, a light bulb clicked over Twilight’s head.

“Well Spike, if you don’t want to play hard. I know someone who will.”

“Oh yeah? Who’s that?”

“Oh, you know. A particularly helpful creature whom I can have fly here in no time. You know. Owlowiscious.”

Spike immediately straightened up and began skating swiftly around the ice. “No way! I don’t want that owl coming here! I’m ready to go again. Drop the puck!”

Twilight smiled when her motivational tactic worked and started the play once again. After an hour of scrimmaging, the practice came to a close. The Golden Leafs trotted off to the locker room and cleaned up.

---

When Twilight and friends were walking away from the arena, a yellow and greyish blur flew past them, nearly bowling them over. It was the Cloudsdale defensepony Ditzy Doo performing her day job. She crashed down to Ponyville while delivering a package from the EHL.

“I brought you your muffin delivery!” said the walleyed pony.

Twilight accepted the box. “Uhh, thank you? But we didn’t order any muffins. We didn’t order anything.”

“These muffins are compliments of the Equestria Hockey League. Use them wisely!”

Before any more questions could be asked, Ditzy Doo flew back toward Cloudsdale.

Twilight backed her friends away and slowly opened the box with her magic, fearing for a prank. It was not a prank, but a box full of winged skates. Along with the skates was a note.

”These winged skates will allow your team to fully function and perform in Cloudsdale. They are charmed with a lifting spell to help you travel into the city as well. Please return these skates when you are back on the ground.

- Equestria Hockey League”

Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie grabbed the skates and tried them on instantly. Fluttershy and Rarity admired the skates for their tiny, adorable wings while Rainbow Dash was unimpressed and loudly boasted that her wings were bigger and better. Twilight counted the pairs and saw that only four were included, enough for the wingless members of the team. Fluttershy became saddened when she realized she would have to wear her normal skates. Twilight used her magic to create a pair of tiny wings for Fluttershy’s skates, making Fluttershy squeal for their cuteness. With their transportation to Cloudsdale literally falling into their laps, the Golden Leafs planned out their game day schedule and departed for the evening.

---

Game day arrived and the new edition of the Golden Leafs met at the treehouse before departing for Cloudsdale. Applejack also came over, with her snow shovel, to see her friends off. Twilight, Pinkie, Rarity, and Spike put on their winged skates and were led by Rainbow and Fluttershy up towards Cloudsdale. The Golden Leafs waved goodbye to Applejack on the ground as she quickly shrank out of sight. The tiny wings on the skates flapped furiously to propel the non-pegasus ponies onward. The flight did not last long however because Cloudsdale was rapidly coming into view. With excitement, Rainbow Dash bolted on ahead and Fluttershy stayed back to direct her friends. Before long, the Golden Leafs reached the cloudy shoreline of the floating city and were walking toward Foal Louis Arena, home of the Cloudsdale Red Wings.

The Golden Leafs’ arrival and hovering into the city turned many heads as they swaggered through the main streets. As they closed in on the arena, the city was glowing red, reflecting the colors of their hockey team. Many pegasi wearing their Red Wings jerseys yelled out to the Golden Leafs as they continued on their path. Foal Louis Arena grew before them and they saw the visitor’s entrance in sight. Also in sight were four older ponies, two stallions and two mares, standing outside the entrance doors. One couple had faded rainbow manes while the other couple had pink manes with tiny grey streaks running throughout.

“Mommy?! Daddy?!” shrieked Fluttershy. Fluttershy’s wings sprung open and she flew into her parents’ waiting forelegs with glee.

“Oh come here pumpkin! We’ve missed you so much!” said Fluttershy’s mother. Fluttershy’s dad trotted around and planted a kiss upon his daughter’s forehead.

Rainbow Dash unenergetically floated over toward her parents. “Hey mom. Dad.”

Mr. Dash, in his stocky stance, stood tall and emotionless while the trim and slender Mrs. Dash smothered her daughter with a hug. “Hello Rainbow! It’s so wonderful to see you!” Mr. Dash put his muscled up leg around his daughter’s neck and broke out of his robotic state by giving Rainbow a noogie and messing her mane. “Welcome back kiddo!”

Embarrassed, Rainbow tried escaping her father’s clutches as the Fluttershies continued hugging and nuzzling. The other Golden Leafs fondly watched on as the parental reunion calmed. Finally, Fluttershy flew over to her friends and introduced them.

“Mom, dad, these are our friends! Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Spike!”

The Dashes and Fluttershies exchanged pleasantries with their daughters’ friends and then came together.

“When we heard that the Golden Leafs were playing the Red Wings tonight, we knew we had to come down to the arena to see our girls,” said Mrs. Dash.

“We are so proud that our girls are big time hockey stars! Isn’t that right?” exclaimed Mr. Dash as he nudged Fluttershy’s dad in the wing. “Oh yes, we are very proud. We’re also grateful you’re not hurt…hockey is a rough sport.”

Fluttershy tried easing her father’s concerns. “Oh yes, I’ve been taking care of myself. Right girls?”

Fluttershy winked to her friends. The Golden Leafs and Spike looked to each other and shook their heads yes which made the Fluttershies relieved.

Mrs. Dash trotted up and licked her hoof, wiping a smudge from Rainbow’s face. “Dashie dear, your brothers are also coming to watch you tonight. You better play hard or you’ll never hear the end of it!”

Rainbow groaned as she brushed her mother’s hoof away. “Ugh! Why are those blockheads coming? I thought they were busy working at the weather factory?”

“Oh you know your brothers. They love to watch their little sister compete. You’re the last one in the family to be playing in any sport, kiddo. My football days are over, your mother’s track and field career is toast, and both your brothers had to quit their football careers to work,” said the Dash patriarch. “The family legacy is on your shoulders now.”

“Oh, awesome,” said Rainbow Dash with sarcasm.

Mrs. Fluttershy stepped toward the Golden Leafs with a warm smile. “Well, we should let you go so you can prepare for your big game. We’ll be cheering for you! Normally we are big Red Wings fans but I think we can make an exception tonight.”

“Thanks! We won’t let you down!” replied Twilight as the Dashes and Fluttershies gave their daughters one more set of hugs and kisses.

“Alright kids. Have fun out there! Play hard!” yelled Mr. Dash as he escorted his wife and the Fluttershies toward the arena entrance.

“Bye mommy! Bye daddy!” shouted Fluttershy as Rainbow rolled her eyes and weakly waved at her parents.

---

As the Golden Leafs began their march into the arena, Rarity hovered next to Rainbow and poked fun at her. “Awww, does widdle Dashie miss her famiwy?”

“No! They’re so embarrassing! There’s a reason why I spend most of my time in Ponyville,” said Rainbow as she pushed Rarity away.

“I’m just curious, what do your parents do Fluttershy?” asked Twilight.

Fluttershy lifted her head proudly. “Oh, my dad is a Cloudsdale city accountant while my mom is an elementary teacher. They’re just so gentle and nice.”

By this time, the Golden Leafs entered the arena and were steps away from their locker room. Walking down the hallway, Twilight and company passed many murals and paintings depicting the grand history of the Red Wings franchise. Eleven Celestia Cups along with some Red Wings players of old lined the walls in bright silver and red paint. At the end of the hallway was the visitor’s locker room. The Golden Leafs entered the room and immediately started dressing. Fluttershy sung a happy tune to herself while Rainbow mumbled through her teeth as they readied. Once every Golden Leaf was fully dressed, Twilight addressed her team.

“Alright team. Let’s remember what we did in practice and take it to the Red Wings! They’re an agile team so we’re going to need our legs out there tonight. We also need to watch for Spitfire. She’s currently the highest scorer in the league so we will need to cover her closer than ever. Are we ready?”

“Ready as chocolate frosted cupcakes on a windowsill in a rain storm!” yelled Pinkie.

Everyone but Pinkie shrugged with puzzlement. Twilight took a while to find words to say. “Uhh, ooookay. I’ll take that as a yes. Now let’s go!”

One by one the Golden Leafs marched out of the locker room in their sparkling white road jerseys, ready to try for their fourth victory.

---

Foal Louis Arena, named for the famous pony boxer Foal Louis, was rocking with Red Wings fans. A sea of red blanketed the bleachers, causing the Golden Leafs to gaze around the arena in awe. High in the rafters were many banners of the Red Wings’ achievements including: their eleven Celestia Cup banners, a number of Princess’ Trophy banners for having the best regular season record, and the retired numbers of former greats including the greatest Red Wings captain of all time, Steve Yzermare. Also hanging up in the rafters was a giant stuffed purple octopus. Spike pointed it out and the Golden Leafs debated about why such a silly thing was up there. Fluttershy spotted her parents with Rainbow’s family in the stands and waved to them. The Fluttershies and Mrs. Dash waved back while Mr. Dash nodded with a grin. Rainbow’s brothers tried yelling out to their sister but Rainbow didn’t look, keeping her focus towards the ice.

A horn blared out and the doors to the rink opened, letting both teams out onto the ice. The crowd stood up and applauded as their Red Wings flew out onto the ice in their home reds, led by Spitfire. Both teams skated circles around their ends as the countdown clock wound down to zero. In the Golden Leafs’ end, Spike and the non-pegasus skaters were showing a tiny bit of difficulty in their skating, being thrown off by their winged skates.

The clock reached zero and another horn rang out. The referee grabbed a puck and drifted toward the center faceoff circle where the Red Wings’ logo glistened with the word “HOCKEYCLOUD” imposed over it in sparkling black paint. The Golden Leafs and the Red Wings met at the circle ready to begin. Scootaloo and Pinkie Pie raised their gloves and the puck was dropped to start game number seven of the regular season.

---

Right away, Cloudsdale controlled the puck in the Ponyville zone. Twilight, Rarity, and Spike were still getting the hang of their special skates while Rainbow and Fluttershy were able to play normally. The Red Wings zipped the puck to each other and fired when they had an open lane. Pinkie held steady early and stopped three shots. When play resumed, the Golden Leafs finally won control and carried the puck down to the Cloudsdale end. Their control was short-lived as Gilda muscled Spike off the puck and took it back into the Ponyville zone. Gilda moved the puck down into the corner where she was met by Twilight. Twilight tried getting her stick on the puck but Gilda’s massive frame kept Twilight at bay. Ditzy called for the puck at the blue line and Gilda pushed it to her. Ditzy faked a shot which caused Rainbow to hit the ice for a block. With Rainbow down, Spitfire peeled around Spike in the right faceoff circle and was now open. Ditzy shoveled the puck to Spitfire who barreled straight on net. Pinkie prepped herself for Spitfire’s attempt. Spitfire nudged her head up toward the top left corner but slapped the puck down to the bottom right, fooling Pinkie. The puck clanged around the back of the net while the Red Wings’ goal horn bellowed out. Wings fans jumped from their seats to cheer and Spitfire was met by her teammates.

”Red Wings GOOOAAALLL scored by number 13, SPITFIIIIREEEE! Assisted by Ditzy Doo! And number 44, Gilda!”

Right after Spitfire’s goal, Rainbow made the mistake of glancing over at her family. Mr. Dash shook his head in disappointment while Rainbow’s brothers laughed at the Golden Leafs’ misfortune. Rainbow adjusted her helmet strap and tightened her bite on her stick. She made a beeline for the center circle, wanting for play to resume quickly to rectify this early deficit. Play was back on and Rainbow won the faceoff back to Twilight. Twilight dumped it into the Cloudsdale zone where Rarity chased after it. Rarity was nudged into the glass by Soarin. Impatient with Rarity’s play along the boards, Rainbow swooped in and grabbed the puck from her teammate. Rainbow barreled right toward Pucks and overpowered the veteran defensepony. Rainbow fired a shot right straight at Scootaloo in net. Fearing the bullet of a shot coming at her, Scootaloo dodged out of the way and the puck slammed the back of the net forcefully. The goal light flickered and the crowd groaned. Rainbow celebrated behind the net with her teammates coming over to tap her on the helmet.

”Ponyville goal, scored by number 20, Rainbow Dash. Assisted by number 9, Rarity, and number 42, Twilight Sparkle.”

This time Dash’s family was beaming with delight at Rainbow’s goal. Rainbow eased up but was still eager to resume play. The puck dropped but this time Cloudsdale gained control. Soarin took the puck into the Ponyville zone, covered by Spike. Spike did a good job pressuring Soarin and forced him into the corner. Pucks came in closer along the boards to give Soarin an outlet. Soarin passed the puck out from the corner to Pucks, causing Spike to back off Soarin and start pressuring Pucks. However, Spike’s shift allowed Soarin to crash the net unopposed since Fluttershy was too preoccupied watching Spitfire. With Spike closing in, Pucks fired on net. Pinkie lined herself up with the shot but Soarin skillfully deflected the puck downward. The puck bounced off the ice and flew in through Pinkie’s five-hole. The goal horn shouted out again and a roar came from the sea of Red Wings faithful.

”Red Wings GOOOAAALLL scored by number 96, SOARIIIIN! Assisted by number 5, Pucks!”

Rainbow slammed her stick down on the ice in frustration as Cloudsdale reclaimed the lead 2-1. Fluttershy glanced over to her parents who had a pained look on their faces as the Golden Leafs let in another goal. Fluttershy looked down and slowly drifted to the faceoff circle where Rainbow was already waiting. Rainbow won the ensuing faceoff back to Fluttershy who tried skating it up through the neutral zone. Rainbow saw Spitfire coming in on Fluttershy so she doubled back to take the puck away and control it herself. Rainbow tried crashing the net but Pucks and Ditzy double-teamed her. Seeing the puck sitting still at Rainbow’s skates, Fluttershy sneakily skated up and fired a shot from between Rainbow’s legs. Being screened by the wall her defense put up, Scootaloo wasn’t ready for the shot as it clanged the left side post and ricocheted into the net. Rainbow turned around in shock and saw a smiling Fluttershy as Ponyville’s goal light shone again. Rainbow hugged her teammate as the other Golden Leafs skated in to celebrate.

”Ponyville goal, scored by number 0, Fluttershy. Assisted by number 20, Rainbow Dash.”

Fluttershy skated to the boards in front of her parents and softly tapped on the glass. Her parents reached over the ponies sitting in the first row below them and put their hooves up to the glass where their daughter’s skate was. Mr. Dash gave Fluttershy’s dad a hearty pat on the back which nearly knocked him to the floor. With two minutes remaining in the first period, the referee called both teams to the center for the next faceoff.

The Golden Leafs had control of the puck again and were able to fire off a few more low shots but were denied by Scootaloo. Cloudsdale regrouped and carried the puck into the Ponyville zone for the final minute. Ditzy had the puck on the blue line until she dumped it into the corner for Gilda. Gilda fought off Twilight and Rarity as they attempted to pin her on the boards. Spitfire swooped by to free the puck but missed. Gilda gathered up her strength to power out of Twilight and Rarity’s hold and swung the puck back to Ditzy. Ditzy shoved it to Pucks who then dumped it to the other corner for Soarin. Spike jumped up into the passing lane and intercepted the puck. He wobbled in his winged skates and was caught by Spitfire who swiftly came up over him to steal the puck back. Spitfire drew in Twilight and Fluttershy in the slot as they tried to break Spitfire’s stride. Ditzy lined up behind Spitfire and slapped her stick on the ice. Spitfire passed behind herself while Ditzy wound up for a one-timer. Rarity dove to try to poke the puck away but Ditzy ripped off the one-time shot. Ditzy’s shot was too fast for Pinkie who missed with her glove hoof. The crowd erupted with a yell as the Red Wings celebrated their third goal of the evening. A handful of muffins were thrown onto the ice and were swept up by the ice crew mules. Ditzy quickly skated over and picked one up, eating the celebratory muffin in a single chomp.

”Red Wings GOOOAAAALLL scored by DIIITZY DOOOO! Assisted by number 13, Spitfire!”

The latest Red Wings goal was a tough one to swallow as only ten seconds remained in the period. The Golden Leafs won the faceoff and waited out the end of the period, back down in a 3-2 hole. The period horn blared and the Cloudsdale crowd applauded their team off the ice. The Golden Leafs looked down as they skated off toward their locker room.

---

Rainbow Dash nervously paced inside the locker room. She began questioning herself in her mind about how to carry on. Does she try to carry the team? She would make her family proud but on the other hand she would be showing up the Wonderbolts in their own arena. Twilight tried standing in front of the team but was knocked over by Rainbow’s pacing. Twilight grabbed Rainbow by the cheeks and tried shaking her out of her overanalyzing state. Rainbow’s eyes rattled around and she appeared to calm down. As soon as Twilight let go, Rainbow started up pacing again and couldn’t be stopped.

“Rainbow, you look loco in the coco right now! Why are you pretending to be a train?” asked Pinkie.

“Because I have to do well in front of my family or else I’ll be disgracing the Dash family name! But if I do well, I’ll be outshining Spitfire and Soarin and they’ll get upset and never invite me to become a Wonderbolt! And I miss Applejack!...No offense, Spike.”

Spike munched down on an intermission gem snack. He replied with his mouth full, “None taken. I’m just doin’ this for the gems and the sleep.”

Twilight snagged Spike’s snack from his hand and turned toward Rainbow. “Well you need to calm down if we’re going to take back control of this game! We need everypony, and Spike, to focus! Forget who’s sitting in the stands. Just worry about the Red Wings and beating them. Got it?”

Rarity, Spike, Fluttershy, and Pinkie nodded but Rainbow still continued pacing back and forth. Twilight directed her team back out onto the ice and had to use her head to nudge Rainbow out the door.

---

The second period jumped out to a quick start, much like the first. Ponyville controlled the puck despite Rainbow’s erratic play. Twilight had the puck and fired a quick shot on net but it was blocked by Pucks. The rebound came back to Spike on the right wing. Soarin skated over to cut down Spike but Spike flung the puck toward the center in desperation. Watching the play developing, Rainbow scurried toward the loose puck and shot right away, not even aiming at the net. The Golden Leafs caught a break as Rainbow’s shot hit Ditzy in the helmet and re-directed into the net between Scootaloo’s blocker and pad. Rainbow didn’t realize she scored at first and frantically searched for the puck behind the net until her teammates mobbed her. It then clicked in her head that she scored and she pumped her hoof in the air. Her family applauded which helped ease Rainbow a tiny bit. She then looked over to Spitfire and Soarin who were now wearing a determined scowl, re-igniting Rainbow’s worries.

”Ponyville goal, scored by number 20, Rainbow Dash. Assisted by number 2, Spike, and number 42, Twilight Sparkle.”


The game was moving at a frantic pace. When the puck dropped, Cloudsdale deviated from their usual finesse play and began getting physical hoping to slow the Golden Leafs down. Spike was the recipient of many checks as the Red Wings were bigger and stronger than him. Twilight deftly avoided the Red Wing forwards as she carried the puck into the Cloudsdale zone. Fluttershy stayed on the blue line and received the puck. She drifted over toward the boards as her teammates battled for position. Remembering Fluttershy’s massive hit on her in Ponyville, Gilda charged at her with a vengeance. Fluttershy saw Gilda coming and braced herself since there was nowhere to go. Gilda followed through with her hit and splattered Fluttershy into the glass. Fluttershy’s parents gasped in horror as they saw their daughter fall to the ice. Mr. Fluttershy went to yell but his wife beat him to the punch and was raging from her seat.

“HOW DARE YOU HIT MY DAUGHTER! I’M COMING DOWN THERE TO TEACH YOU A LESSON!”

The referee saw the hit and raised his hoof for the penalty. Mrs. Dash tried holding back Mrs. Fluttershy as Fluttershy was helped up by her teammates. Rainbow couldn’t help but laugh at the scene. She tapped Fluttershy on the helmet. “Hah! So that’s where you get your rare outbursts from.” Fluttershy shot back a small grin and nodded. The Cloudsdale crowd booed as Gilda entered the penalty box, receiving two minutes for boarding.

The Ponyville power play started off cold as Cloudsdale kept up their hitting and forced turnovers. After a dump down the ice, Rarity went to retrieve the puck from Pinkie. Rarity went to pass to Twilight who stood at the blue line but Spitfire nudged Twilight and intercepted the puck. Reacting quickly, Twilight poked her stick out to steal the puck away from Spitfire back to Rarity. Rarity carried the puck in herself and halted at the left faceoff circle. Rainbow glided behind the net but was shadowed by Soarin. With Pucks deciding to apply pressure, Rarity faked a shot to make the Cloudsdale penalty kill bunch up to block. Rarity passed to Twilight who reared her head back for a shot. The puck flew off Twilight’s stick and was closing in on Scootaloo. Scootaloo tried to get her glove up in time but the puck was too fast. The goal light flickered and Twilight began her celebration. Boos and groans poured down from the crowd as Gilda angrily slammed the penalty box door behind her during her exit.

”Ponyville power play goal, scored by number 42, Twilight Sparkle. Assisted by number 9, Rarity.”

The Golden Leafs claimed their first lead of the evening and were pleased with their effort this period. Before play resumed, Twilight stressed to her team that it would be very big to score another goal before the second period ended, like the Red Wings did in the first period. Rainbow Dash agreed although in the back of her mind she was still conflicted about notching another goal at the Wonderbolts’ expense.

The puck dropped and the last 40 seconds ticked away. Spitfire won the faceoff back to Ditzy who passed back up to Gilda. Gilda fired the puck into the Ponyville zone but Pinkie came out of the net to stop it. Pinkie blasted the puck along the boards where Soarin stepped in to intercept. Rainbow caught Soarin by surprise and picked the puck up. With time quickly running out, Rainbow ramped up her speed and bolted through the neutral zone. Pucks backpeddled to keep up but Rainbow was too fast. Scootaloo skated up to cut down the angle. With both Scootaloo and Pucks encroaching upon her, Rainbow flicked the puck backwards hoping a teammate would be there. In fact there was, as Rarity trailed behind and stepped into a slapshot. Rarity sniped the puck into the upper corner for a backbreaking goal with little time remaining in the period. Rainbow spun around to greet Rarity and the other Golden Leafs closed in to share their delight.

”Ponyville goal, scored by number 9, Rarity. Assisted by number 20, Rainbow Dash.


Ponyville jumped to a 5-3 lead right before the second period came to a close. Their spirits were much more upbeat and they grinned their way back to the locker room while the Red Wings left the rink to booing.

---

Despite holding a sizeable lead, Rainbow resumed her nervous pacing from the first intermission, this time lamenting the Wonderbolts’ impression of her and worrying about running up the score. Twilight was getting annoyed with Rainbow’s selfishness and was about to confront her but Fluttershy interjected. While Rainbow rambled to herself, Fluttershy trotted up and stood in Rainbow’s path. She grabbed Rainbow’s face and applied her patented stare. Rainbow stopped muttering and fixed her eyes upon Fluttershy’s. Rainbow then backed away quietly and sat down at her stall. Twilight thanked Fluttershy and spoke up.

“Remember team, we had the lead against Cloudsdale before but we lost it. We cannot let up! We will need to be as sharp as ever if we want to close out this game. Pass clean, shoot hard, and be smart. Let’s win this thing!”

“Yeah!” shouted Pinkie, Rarity, Spike, and Fluttershy. Rainbow kept quiet and robotically marched out of the room along with her team.

---

The third period was set to begin as both teams met at the center circle. The Red Wings did not show any signs of distress even though they faced a 5-3 deficit. The puck dropped and the third period began. Cloudsdale won the faceoff and proceeded to dominate the opening minutes of the period, working hard to chip away at the Golden Leafs’ lead. They cycled the puck amongst each other and fought hard for position. Soarin held the puck behind the net and called out a play. The other Red Wings buzzed all over the zone, confusing the Ponyville defense. Soarin fired the puck to the blue line to Ditzy. Gilda muscled her way to the left faceoff circle to receive Ditzy’s pass. At the other faceoff circle, Spitfire broke away from Fluttershy and crashed the net. Gilda zipped the puck to the front of the crease where Pinkie leaped forward to grab the puck. However, Spitfire zoomed in and took the puck on her stick before it reached Pinkie. Spitfire had a wide open net and pounded a shot in, cutting the Golden Leafs’ lead to 1 and reviving the home crowd.

”Red Wings GOOOAAALLL scored by number 13, SPIIIITFIIIIREEE! Assisted by number 44, Gilda, and Ditzy Doo!”

Doubt began to creep into the Golden Leafs’ minds as Cloudsdale came roaring back with a bang-bang play. Twilight repeated her intermission message to her teammates as they geared up for another faceoff. When play resumed, Ponyville deployed a keep-away strategy in hopes of killing time and cooling off Cloudsdale momentum. The Red Wings glided in and reapplied their checking to each Golden Leaf who touched the puck. When Spike ended up with the puck in the neutral zone, Spitfire quickly closed in with great speed. Spike began to freak out and scrambled to make a play. Right when Spitfire went to hit him, Spike blew fire out of self-defense. The flames charred Spitfire’s jersey and she fell to the ice to cool off. The referee blew the whistle to call a penalty. The Cloudsdale crowd was fully back into the action as the referee proclaimed a two minute penalty to Spike for torching.

Twilight debated whether to call a timeout or not, but saw there was too much time left. Spike made his way to the penalty box. Being short, his eyes barely peered above the boards as he could only helplessly watch. Twilight quickly gathered up her friends to calm them down before embarking on a very crucial penalty kill. With the special team units set, the puck dropped. Spitfire won the faceoff back to Pucks who contained the puck at his skates back to the blue line. Soarin immediately skated into Pinkie’s crease and began to screen her. Pinkie had trouble looking around Soarin’s body and occasionally gave him a playful slap on the rear with her stick. Pucks went to shoot but faked, psyching out Rainbow. Rarity then tried her luck to win the puck away but Pucks was able to glide around her. With Soarin screening, Pucks fired on net. Fluttershy dove to block the shot but Soarin reached his stick out in front of Fluttershy for a deflection. The puck barely nicked the blade of Soarin’s stick and changed direction. Pinkie saw the deflection and moved over to block it. The puck came in low and fast and tucked itself right between her blocker and pad for the game-tying goal. The crowd flew up out of their seats and yelled as Cloudsdale forced a 5-5 tie. Soarin flew to Pucks to celebrate as the other Red Wings came together to share a modest celebration as their work was not yet done.

”Red Wings POWER PLAY GOOOAAALLL! Scored by number 96, SOARIIIINNN! Assisted by number 5, Pucks!”

There was a minute and a half left now. Twilight decided to call timeout to regroup the Golden Leafs. Pinkie was shaking while Fluttershy and Rarity looked uneasy. Spike had a glazed look in his eyes as well. Before Twilight could speak, Rainbow took over.

“Give me the puck. I’m putting this team on my back.”

Pinkie snorted a giggle. “We all won’t be able to fit on your back silly!”

Rainbow narrowed her stare and repeated her words slowly. “I’m putting the team on my back.”

Pinkie saw Rainbow’s seriousness and stopped giggling. Twilight knew better than to mess with Rainbow right now so she kept quiet. The referee called over both teams for the faceoff. Rainbow and Spitfire crouched low for the faceoff and battled when the puck dropped. Rainbow wrestled the puck away back to Twilight. Twilight immediately gave the puck back to Rainbow who took off. She tried going straight in on the net, but Pucks blocked her path. Instead of passing off, Rainbow kept control and continued on to the back of the net. Gilda stepped up to knock Rainbow off stride but Rainbow held steady. Ditzy came over and tried to double-team Rainbow along with Gilda but Rainbow somehow squeezed through both of them and made a hard cut toward the net. Scootaloo shook nervously as Rainbow came in fast. Right as Rainbow went to shoot, Spitfire was there to miraculously snatch the puck away. Rainbow fell from her follow through and collided with Scootaloo and the post.

Spitfire had the puck and was blazing up the ice. Twilight and Fluttershy tried to backpeddle but Spitfire blew right past them. Red Wings fans anxiously flew up into the air as Pinkie prepared herself for the breakaway. Shades of the Golden Leafs’ home opener flashed in everyone’s mind as Spitfire closed in on goal. Spitfire was slightly gliding from left to right. She moved the puck up then pulled it back in, pushed it back up, then pulled it back in again as she kept shifting to the right. Pinkie bit the first fake and hesitated in moving over. When the puck came back in toward her stick the second time, Spitfire shot up into the corner. Pinkie was too late in recovering and the puck zinged into the net. Foal Louis Arena exploded with a yell as Spitfire lost balance and crashed into the corner. The goal horn sounded louder than ever as the Red Wings skated down and smothered Spitfire along the boards. The Golden Leafs all fell to the ice in disbelief as Spitfire obliterated their hopes a second time this season. The Red Wings finished up their celebration as Ponyville struggled to make it to the faceoff circle. Only thirty seconds remained and by winning the faceoff, Cloudsdale played keep-away to run out the clock and to snatch the victory away from Ponyville.

The arena was bursting with noise as the Red Wings triumphantly exited the rink to cheers and fireworks exploding. The Golden Leafs were downtrodden and distraught as they stood in place, not moving at all. In the stands, Fluttershy’s parents and Rainbow’s family gave the Golden Leafs a proud round of applause in hopes of cheering them up. It was no use as Twilight and friends sadly floated toward the locker room.

---

The Golden Leaf locker room resembled a mortuary. No one could bring themselves to talk as they silently cleaned up. When they were packed up and ready to leave, Twilight led her friends toward the arena exit. Outside the arena doors, the Dashes and the Fluttershies waited for the Golden Leafs’ emergence. Fluttershy started sniffling up upon seeing her parents and she flew to them. They consoled her as Rainbow scowled and stomped toward her family. Rainbow’s brothers were going to mess with her until their mother gave them a very stern look. Instead, they patted their sister on the back as their father came over to hug Rainbow.

“Well you can’t win ‘em all kiddo. We’re still very proud of you.”

Rainbow softened up and was able to crack the tiniest of smiles as her family embraced her. Fluttershy had stopped sniffling and was feeling much better as her teammates began missing their own families. Rainbow and Fluttershy said their goodbyes and soon the Golden Leafs were flying back down to Ponyville. The silence gradually bloomed into talking as Twilight and company arrived at the treehouse, although their hearts were still heavy. Not wanting to do anything hockey related, everyone agreed to reconnect a couple days later. With another devastating loss to Cloudsdale and with a 3-4 record, the Golden Leafs parted for the evening.

The Golden Leafs crashed down from their emotional high from their previous game against Fillydelphia thanks to a clutch, veteran Cloudsdale team. The next challenge now for Twilight’s team will be to avoid dwelling on this disappointing loss and to keep moving forward. Will the Golden Leafs have the resolve to forget the past? Or will this loss linger in their heads?

To Be Continued

---

Three Stars from Ponyville @ Cloudsdale
* Spitfire (CRW)
** Rainbow Dash (PGL)
*** Soarin (CRW)

EHL Transactions
---
9/-/11 – Ponyville Golden Leafs sign free agent RW Spike to a 1-game contract
9/-/11 – Ponyville Golden Leafs RW Applejack returns from suspension for next game vs. Appleloosa
9/-/11 – Fillydelphia Flyers sign free agent C Colgate to a 1-game contract
9/-/11 – Fillydelphia Flyers C Rose returns from suspension for next game at Cloudsdale

Other Scores Around the EHL (Home Team in CAPS)
---
Manehattan 3, FILLYDELPHIA 2
CANTERLOT 2, Appleloosa 1

EHL Standings (with Projected Playoff Seedings: 1 & 2 byes, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5)
---
(1) Appleloosa 5-2
(2) Manehattan 4-3
(3) Cloudsdale 4-3
(4) Canterlot 4-3
(5) Ponyville 3-4
(6) Fillydelphia 1-6