• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 24,130 Views, 517 Comments

My Son is a Changeling - Draconian Soul

  • ...
37
 517
 24,130

Auntie Twilight

“Tell me why you're going again? Cadance asked, as I tossed a small saddlebag over my back.

“I just want to enjoy a day with my sister. I don't see her very often, you know.” I felt a bit uneasy, always lying to her, yet it had to be done. I wouldn't dare tell her the truth!

“I guess you're right...” She replied. There was some tone in her voice that had me worried. I'm sure she was curious about what had happened yesterday.

“Shining, I meant to ask you something…” She said slowly.

“Yes, hon?” I replied, a bit jittery.

“Your tail…why is it...so short?”

“I thought that it was a bit too long, so I cut off a bit!” More lies. I just hope her questions wouldn't lead to the truth!

“Don't you usually trim your mane too?” She asked again, with even more curiosity in her voice.

“Yeah, well my mane isn't being dragged across the ground now, is it?!” I said through my teeth, as I was buckling my saddlebag.

As much as I would have liked to stay and have a conversation with her, I couldn't miss the train to Ponyville. Getting there early would ensure me getting back sooner. That, and my bag was wiggling slightly, which meant Kilo was waking up.

“Well, I need to catch the train! See ya tomorrow!” I said, hurriedly.

“Wait!" She said, trotting up beside me as I was leaving the room, "About last night! Why were you acting like that?”

Another question I didn't want to answer. I hated lying to her.

“Nothing, sweetheart! I was just... tired, and not in the mood.” I replied, urging on to the hallway.

“But you sounded so...strange!" She exclaimed, still trotting beside me, "You aren't hiding anything from me, are you?”

That soft, silky tone in her voice made me feel like scum for lying to her. But I didn't want to tell the truth…at least not right now.

“Babe, I don’t have anything to hide from you I’m sorry I acted strange last night, but I promise I’ll make it up to you when I get back okay?” I replied, pushing aside the locks of hair covering her face. I slowly leaned in and kissed her soft forehead, hoping for an assuring reaction. She smiled warmly; it still had a hint of sadness, but at least I could tell she calmed down.

“You better not take long, Shining,” She cooed in my ear.

“Wouldn't dream of it, babe” I said quietly.

I heaved a sigh as I pushed open the large, oaken doors leading to the main corridor. The joyous sunlight pierced the heavy darkness of the large hallway through the small, arched windows lined up near the ceiling. Not a soul could be heard. I looked around once more: a long red carpet lead the way to the stairs, and there were a few banners scattered here and there, almost as if somepony planned on hanging them below the windows, but couldn't find the time, so carelessly left them sprawled over the ground. "Gee, what a mess!" I thought, as I slowly headed down the hallway, my head jerking left and right, as if I was some sort of tourist. My hoofsteps echoed throughout the passageway, I thought it rather soothing, combined with the golden sunlight, rushing in to fill the darkness.

“Man, having a baby with the changeling queen and not telling my wife about it" I muttered, afraid my voice might drown the peaceful clip-clop of my hooves on the thin carpet, "I don’t think I could I could possibly sink any lower than this...”

Kilo's muffled yawn burst out from inside the saddlebag. If I had stayed around for too long, my wife might have found out about him!

I could see the smoke from the early-morning train puffing up from behind the hills. "Buck! I won't make it down all these stairs in time!" I glanced down towards the Crystal Empire train station, set my trajectory, and closed my eyes. I slipped my hoof into my saddlebag, and pressed it against Kilo's forehead: It is possible to teleport without touching whoever you want to take with you, but it takes more concentration, and I didn't really have much of that in my current situation!

The trip to Ponyville took about five hours, which is plenty of time to come up with a marvelous story I could tell both Twilight and Cadance. I had to come up with a clever excuse to tell Twilight if she would ever happen to think Kilo was my child. I heard from Spike how bad she was at keeping secrets, and I was not going to take that risk! Loose lips sinks ships! And apparently helped produce Kilo... All innuendos aside, I really needed to come up with something other than “this is my son”.

I purposely sat in the back so I wouldn't draw any attention (not that many ponies were on the train today anyways, most likely because it was a weekday) I started reciting what I was going to tell Twilight when I showed her Kilo:

“Okay, so how about this" I said, while taking Kilo out of my saddlebag, "I found you in the middle of the woods, one day, while walking, and I decided to take you home! Think she’ll buy it?”

Kilo squealed in giddy pleasure, flailing his arms about, without a care in the world.

“Yeah I think so, too.” I laughed.

Concealing Kilo wasn't easy. I got a few shifty looks from one of the train-workers when I requested taking the saddlebag on the train without a baggage pass. Of course he had to agree, since I'm the captain of the royal guard, but I'm guessing was just a bit suspicious as to why a prince was visiting Ponyville on a workday. Sometimes abusing the system can be nice. At the same time, I was on a train with other ponies; one false move and the rumors would spread like wildfire!

“Excuse me, sir, do you need any assistance?” said the conductor as he made his way over to my seat. I quickly popped Kilo back into the bag, praying to Celestia he wouldn't notice.

“I’m doing fine,” I answered as calmly as possible.

“Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw you talking to your luggage...”

I guess he noticed. Well, this isn't good!

“It’s nothing, really!" I exclaimed, "I was just going through what I need to do when I get to Ponyville. I like talking to myself!” I'm sure he thought I was nuts.

“Well, if you say so. Just remember, ring the bell if you need help and…” the conductor quickly covered his muzzle with his coat and grunted something to himself under his breath, gazing at me with a puzzled expression on his face. I knew what had happened, and, to my extreme embarrassment, I had to cover for Kilo.

“Ha, excuse me” I said, awkwardly. He threw one more look of disgust before trotting to the other passengers. With all eyes off of me, I opened the bag to see an uncomfortable Kilo squirming and grunting.

“You’re never going to give me a break, are you?”

I pushed past the conductor and headed straight to the bathroom at the end of the car. He hadn't been awake for an hour and he was already making my life more difficult.

"Do you need your diaper changed?" I asked.

Kilo replied with a loud burp, sending disgusting fumes into my face.

“Why can’t you just answer with a simple nod for once?” I groaned.

I could continue discussing the misadventures on the train, but, to be honest, all that happened was me changing diapers, feeding him (I was emotionally drained after the train ride), and hiding him whenever somepony passed by. With the train ride over, I headed towards my destination: Twilight’s library. Walking down the narrow streets, I received a few awkward glares from the pedestrians, something I couldn't blame them for. It’s not every day when royalty goes trotting down a common street, even if it is to visit a relative.

After trying to avoid as many glances and glares as possible, I finally made it to Twilight’s abode. Seeing Spike and Twiley again would be nice! However, as much as I wanted this to be purely a leisurely visit, it wasn't.

I knocked on the door and waited for a response. Nothing. I knocked again. Still no response.

“Great! She ain't here!" I grunted, "Ain't that a load of-"

“Spike, hold that thought!" somepony yelled from the inside, "don't worry about it, I'll get the door!"

Well I felt like an ass, but at least she was there. The door creaked open and a smile formed on my little sister’s face. “Shining!”

“Sup, Twiley! How are you-OOF!”

My sister threw herself around me, hugged me, and wouldn't let go until I hugged her back.

“It’s been too long! What brings you here?” she said, excitedly.

“Just visiting! But listen, Twiley, I need to-”

“Well, glad you came to visit!” she interrupted. Once Twilight is excited, it's impossible to hear yourself think when you're around her.

“I can fix you a nice place to sleep in the living room, if you want! The couch should be comfy enough for you, but, if not, I can always find somewhere else for you to sleep!” She squealed.

“That’s nice and all, but-”

Spike! Hold off whatever you were telling me! Shining came to visit!”

The stubby purple dragon waddled into the living room, holding onto a book of some sort.

“Hey Shining, 'sup!” he said, trying to hold in his excitement.

“Nothing much, little dude.” I replied, bumping his fist. “Out of curiosity, what were you two rambling on about before I got here?”

Spike eagerly cleared his throat to explain. “Well... I was doing some research on…well…the reproductive abilities of dragons to figure out…”

“He’s trying to figure out if ponies and dragons are compatible,” Twilight chuckled, “I keep telling him that’s not possible. Two different species can’t possibly produce a child!” She laughed, then rolled her eyes.

Try telling that to somepony who actually did... My saddlebag rustled, an obvious sign that Kilo was getting restless.

“How would you know that, Twilight?”

“It’s just common sense! You can’t put two completely different specimens together and create another living creature. That’s scientifically impossible!"

“Uh-huh. Anyways, I need to talk to you.” My tone was a bit more serious than I intended, but got her attention anyways.

“Oh, sorry! What's the matter?” She said, slightly blushing.

I wasn't anticipating any pleasant reactions, but I was hoping they wouldn't freak out over what I was about to show them. I let out a small sigh and set the saddlebag on the ground.

“I want you to promise me to stay calm, okay? What I’m about to show you might seem bizarre, but I promise I have a good explanation.” I said in a very serious tone.

I could tell they were confused, but they both nodded in agreement. Once I unzipped the bag, I reached in and pulled out Kilo.

The look of shock on their faces was indescribable!

“I-Is that a baby...changeling?” Twilight asked, slightly shaking from confusion and excitement.

“Yes” I replied, trying to keep Kilo from slipping out of my hooves. Kilo wiggled out of my hooves and climbed on top of my head, babbling with delight and laying on top of my mane. Spike was staring at him, very confused, making me concerned about what he might say about him.

“Wait, aren't most changelings black? Why is this one white just like you, and have blue eyes just-like-you?” Spike had come to a conclusion about where Kilo came from; a conclusion I prepared to counter.

“I can’t explain that honestly; maybe it’s some rare breed that is born under certain circumstances. I found him just outside of Empire and, not wanting the poor child to be left out there to die, I decided to take him in without…you know…Cadance knowing.”

Kilo was about to bite down on my mane until I glared at him. The little changeling sadly relinquished it and instead began staring aggressively at Twilight.

“Well, I find it nice that you decided to take it in!” Twilight praised while reaching out for Kilo. “So what is the little angel’s name?”

The little angel so to speak snapped towards Twilight’s hooves causing her to jerk backwards; Kilo began snarling and hissing venomously at her, trying to intimidate her.

“Kilo NO!” I demanded; Kilo stared at me with his teeth still flaring.

“That conduct is not tolerated! I think this is a good time to establish rule three: no aggressive behavior towards others, especially my relatives! Now apologize to Auntie Twilight!”

Kilo looked at me, rather confused, shocked that I scolded at him for something a changeling mother would usually tolerate back where he was from.

“Well, are you going to apologize or am I going to have to make you apologize!?”

He slowly climbed out of my arms and wobbled towards Twilight, begrudgingly nudging her leg.

“Huh, he’s an aggressive one, isn't he?” Twilight stated, looking down at him.

I could tell he was still hissing, but at the very least he wasn't being too violent.

“So why haven’t you told Cadance yet? Don’t you think she would want to know that you’re fostering a changeling?” Twilight asked, curiously.

“Well, there are some things I wanted to talk to you first...” I started explaining some of the habits that Kilo had, and why I felt it was too much for my wife. “…and since you have had more experience with the changelings, and probably read up on them, I decided to come see you for help.”

“Well, I did study these creatures quite a bit!” Twilight boasted, obviously proud of her knowledge, “and if you want any help, all you have to do is send a letter to me and I’ll send you whatever you need to know. But you should still inform Cadance; I’m sure she’ll understand."

I doubt she would if she knew the real circumstances. “Yeah, you’re right, Twilight. I f feel sorry for the kid though... Wonder where his parents are?” I asked nervously.

“Not to be morbid or anything, but one of them is probably dead right now.” That wasn't the answer I was expecting, especially coming from such an optimistic pony such as Twilight!

“Why do you say that?” I asked, curiously.

“Well, there's a strange law that states changelings are allowed to kill the neglectful spouse, and one of their family members if they don't raise the child. I think it was Changeling Law 5 Section C.”

Well, it was a good thing I didn't take Chrysalis’s threat in vain, otherwise I might have been changeling food!

“Huh, that’s an interesting law. Kind of makes me feel even worse for poor Kilo…wait, where did he go?” Kilo, who was wrapped around Twilight’s legs a few minutes ago had disappeared from the room. Spike was missing as well.

“Twilight, what happened to Kilo and Spike?”

“NO! You can’t have it!!!" Yelled Spike from the other room.

Twilight and I followed his voice upstairs, to find Kilo chomping down on what seemed to be an emerald, with Spike tugging on it.

“Stop it!” Spike shouted. Kilo refused to listen, and grasped the emerald even tighter between his jaws.

“Kilo, let go of the gem! You can’t take things that don’t belong to you!” I yelled.

Kilo stopped tugging at the gem, which I thought was a good sign, until I saw something coat the gem, melting half of the it right in front of Spike’s glossy eyes.

“This…this was a gift,” Spike sobbed “It was polished and shined just for me, and you went ahead and melted half of it.” I felt bad for the poor dragon, though Kilo seemed pretty happy of his accomplishment.

“Hey, Spike, sorry about your gem,” I apologized, patting the snuffling purple drake on the head. “I can get you another one.”

“I won’t be the same,” Spike sobbed, lying on his bed holding the melted gem against his chest.

“Just let him wallow in self-pity for a while,” Twilight whispered in my ear. “He’ll get over it eventually.”

The rest of the day went smoothy - or at least as normal as a day can go with a baby changeling in the house. Twilight suggested certain foods to give, because feeding on me isn't enough. She told me how to deal with changeling personalities; and most importantly: always establish control (which I have been doing). We sat around, chatting, laughing, sharing funny stories; I hadn't even noticed, but the sun had already disappeared behind the mountains surrounding the small town. Tired after a long day of lying, I decided to retire to my couch.

“I could find you a more comfortable place to sleep. Are you sure you want to sleep on the couch?” Twilight said.

“I’ll be fine,” I replied, once again drained of much emotion, thanks to Kilo. “It’ll be easier to keep an eye out on the little runt if I stay down here. He’ll cause less trouble, too.” I replied sleepily.

“Suit yourself!". Good night, big bro!” She chuckled.

“'Night...” I muttered.

She made her way upstairs, leaving me with Kilo. Lying on my back on the soft couch, I let Kilo rest on my chest. “Looks like someone had an eventful day.”

The little changeling yawned and closed his eyes. This was the first time I was able to analyze the little changeling more thoroughly. Kilo had a giddy expression on his face, even as he slept; he wiggled and squirmed, then he would grasp my fur and cuddle his face into it. This brought a smile to my exhausted face; I was actually starting to enjoy Kilo's company. The only concern I had was Cadance.

“I hope she takes this as well as Twilight did,” I muttered under my breath. “Man, I've gone through a lot of stress, and it's only been two days! If this kid doesn't drive me nuts, I might have to hire a therapist.” I chuckled.

I pushed my head into the cushion of the couch, staring at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to take a hold of me. Everything was peaceful, calm, quite, sizzling…sizzling? SIZZLING!?

"TWILIGHT!!!"

Author's Note:

If you were expecting nail biting drama and arguments about Kilo from Shining and Twilight....well, you're not getting it this chapter. Though there's a possibility for future chapters. And as for what Twilight is, I don't think it matters for the content of the story. Whichever one you prefer I suppose :P

Again, thanks to Rocker999 for his help. He makes this piece of literature all the more readable XD.