• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 2,373 Views, 26 Comments

Subject of Revenge - AuroraDawn



Trixie gets insane powers and wants more

  • ...
3
 26
 2,373

Act 1 Chapter 3

The Subject of Revenge

By Aurora Dawn

Act 1 Chapter 3

“Okay, so, what do you do, anyways? I saw one show of yours, and so far it looks like you’re just trying to humiliate everyone while doing fancy gimmicks.”

The question made Trixie stop in her tracks, her front leg freezing in mid-reach for her cape. A brush was floating casually in the air, tidying up her mane as she prepared for her next show. Trixie questioningly turned to the red haired stallion, one eyebrow cocked.

“You wait until we get to the next town to ask what it is The Great and Powerful Trixie does? You decided to come along for a job, and you hardly have an idea of what you’ll be doing. Seriously.”

“I like to live in the moment, thank you. Whatever the hay you do seemed more interesting than Flankstown.”

“That’s another thing. You didn’t even try to say goodbye to anyone. Is there something Trixie should know about you? You didn’t kick a filly or anything, did you?” She looked at Strater, her eyes enquiring in a menacing way.

Strater scoffed at the idea. “Celestia no! No, that town was just... ugh. I moved there a year ago. Figured maybe I’d be able to find some sort of job relating to my talent. Fillydelphia didn’t have anything, really. Why do you think the townsponies were so quick to laugh at me being juggled?”

“Oh, great, another pony who has trouble making friends. We’re just peas in a pod, aren’t we?”

“Actually I think my problem is more of a situational thing whereas you’re just a bi-”

“Well, would you look at that! Ponies are starting to gather around the stage. Trixie thinks you should go introduce her, and round up some more customers.”

“...Alrighty then. How much do we charge, by the way? You gave a free show in Flankstown.”

“Yes, free, right. Except for those cretins who are too cheap to tip.”

“...I don’t follow.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie doesn’t just awe and amaze for good will.”

“Well I can see that, but I fail to-”

“So she understandably levees a hidden fee.”

“Wow, you really are a bi-”

“Seriously. Get outside and start getting customers, now. If you’re quick about it, Trixie will even give you a part where she doesn’t throw you into a barrel of water.”

Strater frowned, before shaking his head and walking out of the door. Trixie heard a few muffled comments come from the crowd before the door closed. She smiled, turning her attention back to grooming herself for her show.

Stableton was a larger village than Flankstown, and much to Trixie’s pleasure, didn’t smell as bad. The buildings were more colorful and spread out, creating an atmosphere that was less “county prison” and more “small hometown”, and this meant better business for Trixie. An open, welcoming town was more likely to get excited over an event such as hers, and word would spread. It was even possible, due to the small town phenomenon, that she would have a larger crowd here than a town the size of Ponyville would bring. Such was the power of gossip when everypony knows one another.

In the distance she heard Strater giving an elaborate presentation. His voice, while not deep or forceful, was charismatic and controlled. It rang throughout the town, echoing in the evening air. A quick look out her window showed Trixie that the small square they had parked in was completely packed. Strater looked back, and saw Trixie in the window. They exchanged nods, and Strater walked up onto the stage, settling in a corner. He cleared his throat.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts! Come one, come all, to the most exquisite of magic shows, the most astounding of unicorns, and the most amazing pony, THE GREAT, AND POWERFUL...” As he spoke, he reared up, giving a dramatic flair with his front hooves. “... TRIXIE!
With a small explosion of lights and noise, the azure unicorn appeared on stage, her legs in a wide stance, her head held up, nose pointed high in the air. Her very stance commanded attention, and one of those oh-so-familiar ‘ooh’s floated throughout the audience. She giggled, and then started her display.

“Great ponies of Stableton, tonight the Great and Powerful Trixie shall be performing for you! Gaze upon her in awe, as she demonstrates the most unbelievable and astounding acts of magic ever seen before in all of Eque-”

“I REMEMBER YOU!”

“Stri-what?” She flinched at the mysterious accusation.

“I remember you! You perfomed in Ponyville, once, I was there.” A pink pegasus mare had flew up to the stage, landing with a thump. She turned to the audience and extended a wing, pointing at Trixie. “She tried to con everypony there, too! She’s a fraud!”

The town gasped, shocked. The pink pegasus seemed to relish the attention, and continued her dramatics as she complained.

“This... this hoax of a mare, almost destroyed the whole town with her lies! She claimed she could vanquish an Ursa Major. She convinced two colts to go get one, even!”

“That’s a horrible lie! You dare challenge-”

“And another thing! She claims to be the best in all of Equestria, yet she can’t even stand up to danger. The colts brought back an Ursa Minor, and Trixie ran in fright! Thankfully, Twilight Sparkle was there to save the day, but Trixie could have ruined us!”

The accusation had enraged Trixie. The audience, which had begun booing her, intensified her fury. The mention of her most-hated enemy’s name had caused her to snap.

“How... DARE YOU!”

Again, like in Flankstown, the ground began to shake, and black clouds started to swirl in the sky. Ponies in the audience began to shout and fall. The pegasus started looking around in bewilderment, unaware of what was causing the commotion.

Strater jumped up to Trixie, nudging her shoulder with his hoof. She had taken up her wide, foreboding stance again, and shouted through clenched teeth.

What do you want?!

“Stop, for a second. Think about how your actions can affect everything. Don’t hurt that pegasus.” He spoke in a loud whisper, audible enough to only be heard by Trixie.

Trixie vibrated, building up power for her spell. She spoke in a constrained, but quiet, voice. “Trixie doesn’t have time for your philosophical policies. And she isn’t going to hurt that pegasus, she’s going to destroy this town!”

“No, no, see, that’s also bad. Rise above this. You have a prime opportunity here.”

“Yes. To destroy this town.”

“Right. True. You could totally destroy this town, and cement yourself as a horrible pony in Equestria’s history. Perhaps ponies would look up to you in fear, but wouldn’t love be a better way?”

Trixie’s eyes were shining cyan now, and an aura three feet in diameter surrounded her horn. “Love, shmove. What could a group of ponies who love Trixie do? Isn’t it... -augh-” she gasped as one of her front knees buckled. The conversation had caused her focus to stray, and she had paid for that momentary lapse in judgement. “Isn’t it better to demand respect?”

“I’d say it’s easier to have the respect earned.”

She fell silent for a moment, considering Strater’s advice. By now, the town centre was in havoc. Ponies were running around, climbing over one another trying to be the first ones to leave. Cries and shouts of pain pierced the night air. The pink pegasus had, in a shock of terror, flown into another pony, and was on the ground by the stage, clutching a clearly damaged wing.

Trixie sighed, and released her magic.

A sky blue shell of energy exploded from her, enveloping the entire village. The panicking ponies collectively froze, unsure of how to react. Pulses of white magic blinded them, becoming brighter and brighter with every beat. Soon, the entire town was a glowing white sphere, a beacon in the dark Equestrian night.

And then the light faded, and all that could be seen was Trixie, standing tall, panting slightly but hardly even tired.

A moment of confusion passed through the village as ponies examined themselves and their neighbours, searching for what exactly the rampaging magician had done. There was a shout.

“She... she... she healed me.”

The pink pegasus, who only moments earlier had a broken wing, was flying.

“She healed me, and... it’s not even sore. It’s... better than it was before. The feathers are even shinier.”

A group of other ponies who had been hurt in the chaos suddenly realised that they, too, were perfectly fine. Even more came up, commenting on their vanished ailments.

“I’ve had a sore knee for years, and it’s fine now!”

“I can breathe easier than I’ve ever been able to!”

“That pain in my chest has gone away!”

Trixie started blinking uncontrollably, as more and more ponies walked up to the stage with true ecstasy in their eyes. By the time she had regained her composure, dozens of townsponies were in front of her. Strater, sensing a perfect opportunity, hopped forward beside his bewildered boss.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts; I give you... Trixie.”

Her jaw dropped as the ponies bowed. Even as they rose again, she stood still on the stage, shocked. Strater tapped her shoulder.

“Well, c’mon Trixie. Show must go on and all that rot.”

She blinked one last time, and shook herself. Smiling her wicked little smile, she began her routine.

---

Trixie yawned loudly as she woke up. Her head was sore from the long night she had had.

“Ugh,” she muttered. “If Trixie has to do one more miracle healing or one more silly rope trick today, she’s going to flip.” She slid off her bed slowly as her eyes focused, and stepped onto something soft.

“Gaaack!”

Trixie jumped back on to her bed in shock. She stared down to find a grey earth pony, clutching his stomach in pain.

“And just what are you doing sleeping next to Trixie’s bed!”

Strater coughed one last time and answered. “It was the only spot with carpet. A solid oak table is only comfortable for so long, you know. It couldn’t hurt to add like, something for me to sleep on, maybe? Even buy a sleeping bag or something.” He stood up and stretched long, his back popping in various places.

“Trixie is not stopping you from getting one.”

“Right, so you’re either going to have to pay me for my work, or buy me one yourself.”

“Well, then get cleaned up, we’ll go shopping before we leave.”

“Buck. Well, I tried.” Strater turned around and sat next to the door, watching Trixie as she grabbed a brush with her magic and tidied her mane. She glanced annoyingly at him.

“... What?”

“Earth pony. Unless you have one of those fancy machines that gives me a brush and a wash, I’m gonna be unkempt.”

“Celestia, you’re like a little foal.” Trixie sighed and shot a burst of magic at Strater. After a brief, blue moment, Strater inspected himself. His mane was clean and free of knots, and his fur almost glistened. He looked up at Trixie and smiled.

“Aw, now, see, you’re not all bad. This looks pretty good! It’s been ages since I’ve been this clean.”

“Well, Trixie figured she couldn’t be seen in public with such a greasy mess. Right?”

Strater’s grin dropped as his attempt to elicit generosity from Trixie failed. He frowned at her. She winked, suddenly, and started laughing.

“Oh, come now, Trixie isn’t that much of a heartless mare. Her parents did teach her a few things about manners, after all.” Her smug-yet-friendly grin faltered for a second, but returned. She gave Strater a light smack on the side of his belly, before opening the door. “Now let’s get going, Trixie has fans to present to and shows to go to.” Strater gasped a little from the hit, but then chuckled and followed Trixie out the door into Stableton.

Celestia’s sun was warm, and for a moment Trixie genuinely smiled as she examined the bright square in detail. Oh, how nice. It doesn’t smell like a diamond dog here. And none of the roofs are threatening to collapse on top of Trixie. She looked up and admired some of the building’s designs, before turning and heading towards the closest merchant in the street. As she got closer, the pegasus running the stand perked up.

“The Great Trixie! By Luna’s moon, what do I owe the honour of you browsing my wares?”

Trixie started to look quizzical at the pony, but Strater caught up to her and elbowed her haunch. She shook herself and replied.

“Ouch. Ah, Trixie happened to notice you in the crowd last night! And when she, um, recognised you, she thought it would be great to see what it is you’re selling.”

Strater winked at Trixie as the merchant pony’s face lit up in joy. He started talking rapidly, walking around his stand and ushering on Trixie with a wing.

“Oh, well you don’t want anything that I have to offer you; these are just crackers and trinkets reserved for simple tourists! No, let me give you a tour of Stableton, please. No, really, I insist!”

Trixie looked behind herself, frowning at Strater. He chuckled.

“Oh why not, Trixie? Let’s see some of the places we visit. Maybe you’ll find something cool for your show.”

She sighed. “Oh, why not. Alright, Mr...?”

“It’s Graham, Miss Trixie.”

“Alright, Graham. Let’s see what Stableton has to offer. Trixie’s looking for a sleeping bag for her companion here, by the way.”

“Ah, then the best place for that would be Dreamy’s Sleep Emporium. It’s on the other end of town.”

“Excellent,” Strater pitched in. “An actual store. I may even be able to get something that won’t itch or whatever.” He looked questionably at Trixie, doubt showing in his face. “You’d be willing to get me something nice, right? I’d love to help you, but if you’re just going to keep treating me like a slave, I’ll probably walk back to Flankstown right now.”

“Trixie supposes she could do that,” Trixie sighed sarcastically, with a devilish grin. “If she really has too.”

“So tell me, O Great and Magnificent Trixie,” Graham started as he led the two ponies past rows of tiny shacks and tables with varieties of food and items stacked to the point of overflowing, “What brings a pony with the power you possess to simple little Stableton?”

“It’s a hay of a lot better than Flankstown, I’ll tell you right now,” Strater cut in. All three ponies grimaced at the name of the other village.

“Hush Strater. Well, Trixie believes that all ponies should be graced by her magic, not just those who are privileged and high-status. Trixie is here for all of Equestria, not the highest bidder!”

Strater coughed something that sounded vaguely like “horse manure”, and Trixie kicked a leg out behind herself, catching his shin.

“And you, good sir,” Graham turned to the red-maned pony. You must be an extraordinary individual to have the privilege to work with this outstanding and beautiful unicorn. What’s your story, if I may ask?”

Trixie and Strater both stopped mid-step, and started laughing uproariously. Graham looked at them curiously, confusion wrinkling his face.

“Did I say something wrong?”

“No, no,” Strater spoke in between gasps of air. “It’s nothing.” He turned to Trixie and spoke under his breath. “Extraordinary individual?”

“Well, he got the outstanding and beautiful part correct!” She chuckled again and playfully pushed Strater, before following Graham again. She opened her mouth to talk, but Strater cut her off.

“So enough about us,” he winked at a visibly annoyed Trixie, “and let’s have that tour. Tell me about Stableton. What’re some of the best merchant’s wares? Any pony have a specialty we should know of?”

“I am very glad you asked! Stableton is a small town, yes, but we’ve got a great community. If you look over to the east there, you’ll see the small amusement park we set up when the Summer Sun Celebration was held here last decade. The town used to be really run-down, but we all pitched in and cleaned it up for that festival. We’ve kept it clean ever since, too. It’s helped us grow.”

“That’s neat.”

“See, over here, that large copper-adorned building? That’s our town hall. Next to it is the community centre. Every two weeks we get together for a potluck. It’s really fun. Ah! Here, you’ve got to try this pony’s stuff.” Graham pointed to a sales stand with a large line. “It’s a bit of a wait, but totally worth it.”

As they got closer, some of the ponies in the line looked back and gasped. There was an audible whisper as Trixie and Strater settled behind Graham in the line, and suddenly the ponies moved aside. Trixie and Strater flinched in confusion.

“It’s the Powerful Trixie!”

“Can you believe it? Trixie? Here?”

“Please, Trixie, go ahead of me!”

As the comments of awe ended, the ponies to the left and right of Trixie suddenly dropped into a bow, becoming her to go ahead. Trixie looked around herself for a moment, shrugged, and walked forward regally. Strater blinked, and then followed.

“Ah, Great and Powerful Trixie! Welcome to Sweet Daisy’s Candy Flowers. Ever flower is lightly heated to caramelize the natural sugar content. Please, have a sample, on the house.” The white and yellow pony running the stand handed Trixie and Strater each a plate, and they both eagerly ate the hardened flower petals.

“Oh Celestia, that’s delicious. Trixie should leave you behind,” she joked to Strater, “And take Sweet Daisy here with her.”

The salesmare’s ears perked up at that comment, and she squinted in thought. Slowly, she spoke to the sudden guests of honor. “Glad... you enjoyed them. They are my specialty.”

Graham looked at her. “Sweets? You okay?”

She nodded slowly, and then pulled Graham aside and spoke softly to him. His eyes widened as she spoke, but soon he was nodding in comprehension, thinking deeply himself.

“... Guys? Hello? Can we get going?” Strater asked.

“Of course. Let’s... Let’s go, right.”

As the trio began walking away, Graham regained his composure and started talking proudly of his hometown again. Trixie glanced behind herself as he spoke, and happened to notice that Sweet Daisy had shut down her stand and, along with several other ponies, was following them. Trixie shrugged. They must just want autographs or something. Well, they can wait. Trixie almost just wants to get Strater’s stuff and leave.

They spent the next half hour stopping at various stalls, and the treatment they received was repeated every time. As they finally approached Dreamy’s Sleep Emporium, there was a noticeable group of ponies following them. They stayed outside as the trio entered the store.

“That’s a bit of a relief. Trixie is only used to crowds when she’s acting.”

“Well, you are kind of a celebrity around here, apparently. Better get used to it,” Strater spoke absentmindedly as he inspected the selection of sleeping bags and beds giddily.

A dark mare with a pillow for a cutie mark hopped out from behind the counter. “Well hello, and welcome to Dreamy’s Sleep Emporium, where everything is soft, comfy, and affordable! What’re you looking for, hon?”

“Ooh! This is so exciting. I need a comfy sleeping bag. We’re travelling, and I just need something so I don’t have to sleep on a table.”

“Oh, so you’re travelling in a carriage of some kind! Well, I’ve got just the thing. You don’t need a sleeping bag, honestly. That’s best for when you’re gonna be on the ground, and walking everywhere. But if you follow me, sir, let me show you...”

Dreamy trailed and beckoned Trixie and Strater to follow her to the other side of the room. Trixie followed, bored, but Strater was almost ecstatic, latched onto Dreamy’s words like a fish on a line. They stopped in front of a small cot.

“This here model is my favorite for travellers. It folds right up, like so,” he demonstrated as he spoke, snapping a switch, making the thin bed collapse into tiny package. “And just pops right back out when you’re ready to sleep.” He grabbed two handles which protruded from the condensed cot, and it easily unfolded. Strater walked forward, and flopped onto the cot.

“Sweet elements of awesome, this bed is comfy!” He turned to face Trixie. “Can we can we please please please?”

Trixie couldn’t help but smile at his joy. “Oh, alright. How much?”

“Ninety bits.”

Trixie twitched.

“... Please, Trixie?”

“That’s an awful lot, Strater,” she glared at him.

“Think of how many times you won’t wake up to step on me.”

“Trixie’ll take it.”

Dreamy outstretched a hoof for payment as Strater stood up and collapsed the bed. “Have a nice day,” he called, as they left the building.

For the dozenth time that day, Strater and Trixie stopped dead in their tracks as the door to the store closed behind them. Eagerly watching them from across the street was a large group of ponies. They gasped at the sight of Trixie, and stared unblinkingly. For several minutes, neither Trixie, Strater, or any of the ponies in the crowd moved.

“Strater,” Trixie broke the unending silence.

“... Yes?”

“Trixie thinks it’s time we got the hay outta Stableton.”

---

I’d like to thank the crew in #EquestrianStudy, especially Taggerung, Foolonthehillz, and Autumn Wind, for help with editing and pre-reading this fiction. Thanks for putting up with me randomly stopping conversation to find the right words for this fiction, guys. =D

If you loved or hated the fiction, or have anything to say to me, feel free to drop me a line at AuroraDawn.mlp at gmail.com. I appreciate any comments I get!

---

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan made fiction, based on the animated show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.” I do not own, nor lay any claim to My Little Pony or any related intellectual property.

This work was made entirely for entertainment value and as a tribute to the amazing work of the Friendship is Magic production team. It is not, and will never be, distributed for profit.