• Published 15th Feb 2012
  • 530 Views, 7 Comments

A Chaotic Land - donutsforthewin



"Why can't everypony just get along?" "It ain't that simple son" /CANCELLED/

  • ...
 7
 530

Introduction: A Bit of History

"Hundreds of years ago, the land of Equestria was united, pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies alike under one banner. It was a glorious time of piece and prosperity. There was no war, no famine. Trust was built between the different races of ponies. Everything was as it should be."

"Some even say the unicorns could control the sun and moon, raising and lowering them like clockwork, the same time every day and night. They say the pegusi could control the weather, push clouds, cause rain, even create rainbows. They would schedule rainy days to help the earth ponies grow food, they would schedule sunny days for ponies to relax and play."

"There was organization, they had leaders, towns, even cities. One could simply walk into a town and they would be welcomed, everypony trusted one another. The leaders did their best to help the ponies under their care. Everypony could rely on those around them to help them if they were in need."

"Wow, Grandpa, is it really true? Could Pegasus ponies like you and me control the weather?"

"Yes, Spark, we still can, but the clouds don't cooperate like they did back then. Now we could move clouds to one place, turn around, and they would be headed off somewhere else in no time. It is like they have a mind of their own now."

"And the unicorns could control the sun and the moon?"

"Well, I'm not sure it would have been that easy. They would need a few unicorns all concentrating at once to move something like that. But, it just doesn't work anymore."

"Why won't it work? What happened?"

"Well, the story goes back a few hundred years, and it don't make much sense. It was a rainy day, the pegasi had scheduled it for growing food, and it was somewhere around midday. Suddenly, it just started happening, the clouds began to move, slowly at first, then gaining speed. There was no wind, yet the clouds just moved. The rain began to stop and the Earth ponies started getting angry. They demanded to know why the pegasi had stopped the rain that was keeping their crops alive. The pegasi didn't know what to say, they hadn't moved the clouds, they moved on their own. The pegasi suspected the unicorns used their magic to move the clouds themselves, but the unicorns said they had nothing to do with it. Now, if this had happened by usual causes, they probably could have worked out an agreement, but there was something else wrong."

"None of the ponies could seem to work out an agreement. It was like they just couldn't stop arguing. Then one earth pony looked up. She stood just looking up for a long while, her mouth hanging slightly open in awe. Soon, other ponies stopped arguing and looked up too, with the same look of astonishment on their faces. There was the sun, still high in the sky, and there, off to the west, was the moon starting to rise along the horizon. This hadn't happened in, well, it had never happened before. This was unheard of, nopony thought it was possible. Then the arguing broke out again, worse than before. 'See, this is all the unicorns' fault, they are the ones supposed to raise the sun and moon!' 'We unicorns didn't do it, it is impossible with just magic to raise both the sun and moon at the same time! The earth ponies must be doing something!' 'We earth ponies can't control the sun and moon! This all started with the clouds, it must be the pegasi's fault!' "

"And so the arguing continued until fighting broke out. It wasn't even just between the different kinds of ponies anymore. Pegasi and pegasi were fighting. Unicorns blamed other unicorns. The earth ponies were no different than the other two. In just days, the order and peace that had covered Equestria up until then was destroyed. Gradually, revolts sprung up all over Equestria, throwing it into total chaos. All the governments failed, the cities and towns broke apart, there was no more unity in Equestria."

"So all this happened just because the clouds, sun, and moon started moving by themselves?"

"Not quite. It was like the virtues most ponies lived by were taken away. The biggest change was not in the clouds or the sun and moon, but in the ponies themselves. The sun didn't start revolts. The clouds did not overthrow governments. Ponies did that. Something changed that day, and nopony has been able to figure out why in over hundreds of years."