• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 3,323 Views, 216 Comments

The Private Scrapbook - Cadabra



Ever wonder why Granny Smith gives Filthy Rich those 100 jars of zap apple jam? Or who her husband is? Or why zebras are treated differently in Ponyville? All the answers are in Granny Smith's private scrapbook.

  • ...
8
 216
 3,323

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: Not Guilty

Chapter 7: Not Guilty

That night, Princess Celestia held a grand feast to celebrate the prosperous agreement that had been struck between the Seed’s and the Rich’s. All the Seeds were there, dressed richly in royal clothing that Princess Celestia had given them as they mingled with Canterlot’s elite. Joining them in equal splendor was Mighty Rich, his wife Opulent, and his three sons, Fairly Rich, Grossly Rich, and Stinking Rich.

Prairie Tune was invited on stage to play his Foalsom Prison Blues song that he had written for his father. Getting several encore requests from the crowd to continue singing, Prairie Tune soon began improvising bluesy riffs with the rest of the band. Before long the musicians began singing in turn, performing covers of popular Equestrian songs.

Prairie Tune did not mind sharing the spotlight with the fellow musicians. Just having the opportunity to help provide the evening’s entertainment in such a ritzy setting was a dream come true, only made better when one of the elites came to him afterward to talk about touring around Equestria with the band. The icing on the cake for him was seeing a pretty elite pony toss her room key at his feet while he was performing and give him a suggestive wink. Best night ever!

Happy Trails moved about the room with ease, recognizing repeat courier clients he had served several times. Those clients were eager to congratulate him and his family, many of them even more eager to get their hooves into what could become a potential investment opportunity. Should the Everfree Forest be full of profits, why not let somepony else do the work for them?

Being ever so good with names and faces, Happy Trails was eager to start striking up some deals. He was grateful that his old friend and army buddy, Fairly Rich, was tagging along with him. Fairly Rich was the eldest Rich boy and would soon be taking over the Building and Loan in Dodge City. Unlike Happy Trails, he was very good at talking about investments, stock options, loans, and anything else money related. The two boys soon had a table set up where they were making up a wide range of investment contracts and dreaming up all the profits they would share.

Stinking Rich had joined his older brother, Grossly Rich, who had taken to talking to the chefs preparing the lovely meal. Being a portly young man, Grossly Rich’s interests pertained more to food than to hob knobbing. He was looking to open his own general store, and if he could figure out how to package and redistribute this fancy palace food he was sure he could profit. That and the free samples left and right were suiting his tastes quite nicely.

While Grossly Rich was dreaming of high quality food products, Stinking Rich’s thoughts went to the idea of lucrative distribution options. Unfortunately for him, Stinking Rich was socially awkward at his age. The chef and his brother weren’t very eager to hear Stinking Rich’s crazy ideas. They were too busy gushing over the three foot high roasted zucchini tower that would soon be wheeled out to the table.

Everypony had to agree that each course was more fabulous than the last, and there were so many! Smithy had lost count of how many courses were served as the food and drink kept coming and coming, each course served by a well dressed, stoically expressioned zebra. All throughout the royal feast, Smithy’s thoughts kept creeping back to the zebra boy she met and ultimately helped the guards catch. What had he done that was so bad that the princess couldn’t forgive him too? Maybe he could come work for her family on the new farm property to pay off his debts to society too. If only she’d known what he had done. Than maybe she could get a chance to talk to the princess in private without all those officials swarming around her.

The more she thought about it, the more she realized that it would be best to hear the zebra’s side of the story first, this way she could judge for herself if he was a good pony or not, or even a pony at all. Seeing as how everypony was so busy talking amongst themselves, stuffing their faces, dancing to her brother’s music, or investing in the new farm with her other brother, Smithy decided that now was as good a time as any to have a talk with the zebra. Gathering up some of the feast food into her saddlebag as a peace offering, Smithy snuck out of the busy dining hall.

She followed the zebra that she remembered the princess addressing earlier. He was walking away with a tray full of dirty dishes, and Smithy assumed that he was headed to the kitchen. Surely enough, the zebra lead her right to where she wanted to go. She dashed behind a large potted plant so that she could watch what door he was going to go in. She saw him push open the kitchen door to deposit his dish load before walking out again.

Gingerly opening the kitchen door, she saw the sad little zebra boy standing at the sink with a heavy chain clasped to his neck. His chain had been attached to the sink so that he could not run away. The zebra boy let out an exhausted sigh at the sight of the large pile of dishes in front of him, not knowing where he was going to get the strength to continue working.

Looking out the window into the clear night sky, he began to sing softly to himself at the sight of a familiar constellation appearing near the mountains:

When the sun comes back,
And the first quail calls,
Follow the drinking gourd.
For the old man is awaiting
For to carry you to freedom
If you follow the drinking gourd.

Follow the drinking gourd.
Follow the drinking gourd.
For the old man is awaiting
For to carry you to freedom
If you follow the drinking gourd.

Clapping her hooves enthusiastically against the floor, Smithy walked up to the zebra with a big smile on her face. “Well that was a right purdy song,” she smiled. “I reckon that there's a song 'bout doin’ the dishes, ain't it? Ya sure got a lotta drinkin’ gourds to wash.”

The zebra boy leapt around on his step stool, eyes wide at the brazen entrance. “YOU!” he bellowed, leaping from his step stool and charging full on to attack the green filly standing before him. He would have succeeded had it not been for the chain around his neck keeping him firmly attached to the sink.

Vainly thrashing out at the little filly cowering just out of hoof shot, the zebra let out his frustration and anger in the best way he could: verbally. “How dare you come back!” he bellowed. “Have you come to salt my wounded spirit? Can you be so cruel?”

Hoping to calm the zebra, Smithy slowly slipped off her saddlebag. “No,” she said apologetically as she slid the bag closer to the angry zebra. “I came to talk to ya. And to say I’m sorry. And to give ya somethin’ to eat. I thought maybe ya’d be hungry.”

Setting his hooves down on the ground, the zebra looked suspiciously at the offering. “How do I know that I can trust you?” he asked suspiciously, unable to stifle the grumbling sounds his stomach was making at the smell of the food.

Smithy giggled at the sound of his stomach, much to the zebra’s annoyance. “I guess y’ll just have to trust yer belly,” she replied, pushing the saddlebag close enough for him to reach.

Looking left and right to make sure no one was watching, the zebra boy cautiously grabbed the bag in his teeth. Bringing it to a corner near the sink where he could eat in peace, the zebra buried his head in the bag and began to eat.

Smithy smiled at the good deed she had done. From the way he was eating he must have been very hungry! As the zebra guzzled down his meal, Smithy trotted over to the sink. Hopping up on the step stool, she began to pump water into the sink.

The sound of the water running caused the zebra to pop his head out of the saddle bag. “What are you doing!?!” he exclaimed, wide eyed in fear and ignoring the crumbs on his face.

Rolling her eyes, Smithy plunged her hoofs into the soapy water. “I’m doin’ the dishes,” she explained. “I thought maybe ya could take a break fer a while.”

The zebra shook his head, looking around to see if any palace guards were looking. “Are you trying to get me caught again, you fool!” he exclaimed, scrambling to get up on the step stool. “What if they catch you? What if they catch me?”

Smithy didn’t understand what he meant. “Are ya not supposed to be doin’ the dishes?” she asked innocently.

The zebra put a hoof to his face in frustration. “I am supposed to do as I am told!” he tried to explain. “I have no choice! I am a slave!”

---------------

The word ‘slave’ shocked the Apple grandchildren. Applejack gawked wide eyed at her grandmother in disbelief. “What do ya mean ‘slave?’” she asked. “Wouldn’t Princess Celestia put a stop to somethin’ so awful?”

Granny Smith shook her head in disappointment. “She didn’t even know he was a slave,” she explained. “She had a whole mess of zebra slaves runnin’ ‘round under her feet and didn’t even know it. Powers behind the throne had her thinkin’ they was just migrant workers.”

Applejack shot Granny Smith a blasphemous look. “Oh come on, Granny!” she said. “How can she miss somethin’ so terrible right under her nose?”

Granny Smith let out a good natured laugh at the accusation. “She didn’t know what a parasprite was ‘til just recently, and she’s how old now?” she explained. “I ain’t sayin’ she’s a dummy. I’m just sayin’ she’s a might bit sheltered is all. Her political figureheads sure had a way of talkin’ to her just right to convince her that everythin’ was a-okay.”

---------------

Of course everything wasn’t a-okay, and Smithy hadn’t realized how not a-okay it was until the zebra boy had explained it to her. “I come from a land across the sea, a land you ponies call Zebrica,” he explained as Smithy stepped down from the sink to let him work. “Griffons came to my land one day, bringing ropes and nets and chains to gather us up. They threw us on a boat, where so many of us died on the journey. I lost my mother and my father on that boat. Only I and my sister, Kizzy, were to survive that boat, only to be separated and sold off to rich ponies in this land.”

Smithy had never heard something so awful in all her life, and felt terrible watching the zebra boy trying not to get emotional. “Golly,” she said softly. “I had no idea that’s what was goin’ on. Is that why I saw ya runnin’ away that night in the alley?”

The zebra nodded with closed eyes, which made Smithy feel terrible. Had she not been so stubborn he might have made it. “I’m so sorry,” she said, her head hung in shame. “If it makes ya feel any better, I did it ‘cause I lost mah daddy. He was in Foalsom Prison, and I when I saw them chains on ya I thought maybe ya knew a way out. I was so desperate fer answers that I was willin’ to try anythin’, or talk to anypony. I just missed mah daddy so much that I wasn’t thinkin’ clearly.”

The zebra looked at the grief on Smithy's face and could not help but understand the feeling. “So that is why you followed me and asked such questions,” he said in an understanding tone, watching her nod. “I must confess, had you any information about my sister I would have chased you as well. It is most difficult to lose one that you love so dearly.”

Though they had reached an understanding, there was still an awkward silence between them. Still feeling ashamed, Smithy lowered her gaze to the zebra at the sink. “So… what’s yer name?” she asked shyly, running her hoof along the floor.

Unable to hold back a small smile at the innocent question, the zebra glanced away from his dish duties. “My name is Bladire,” he said. “May I ask what is your name?”

Smithy blushed at the question, especially since the zebra’s name was so exotic and beautiful compared to hers. “It’s… Granny Smith,” she said, embarrassed by the chuckle Bladire made at her name. “Hey! It’s nothin’ to laugh ‘bout!”

Apologizing profusely, Bladire held up his hoofs to show no animosity. “I mean you no disrespect,” he explained, a smile on his face, “but such a name for one so young!”

Smithy smiled back as she thought about it. She really did hate that name. “Mah Grammy Gillyflower says I’ll grow into it one of these days,” she admitted, relieved to see a smile on the zebra’s face. “But ya can just call me Smithy. All mah friends do.”

The mention of friends almost stopped Bladire in his tracks. This pony who stood there smiling such a friendly smile at him, did she really see him as an equal? Unsure what to do, Bladire decided to take a risk and be playful by splashing some dish water at her. “Hey!” Smithy squealed, making Bladire laugh a bit.

He splashed her again, noticing a smile spreading across her face. “You do not like to play, Smithy?” he said as he splashed her again.

Smithy began to laugh along as she hopped up on the step stool next to her new friend. “Oh yeah!” she chuckled as she planted a hoof in the water, soaking the both of them as they erupted in laughter and not caring that she was ruining the expensive clothes Celestia had given her.

The laughter did not go unheard, especially for a certain adolescent stallion looking to make his way in the world. Having had no luck with the Canterlot elite, Stinking Rich peeked his pimply head into the kitchen to watch the pony and zebra playing in the dish water. “Smithy!” he exclaimed, running up to her. “What in Celestia’s name are ya doin’ playin’ with this filthy lil’ ziggler?”

Playtime was cut short as Stinking Rich knocked Smithy and Bladire down from the stool. Stinking Rich advanced upon Bladire with a superior smirk on his face. “And what makes ya think ya can behave like that, ya striped lil’ scum sucker?” he said, leaning his pimply face close as Bladire tried to cover his own face with his shaking hooves.

Bladire was terrified of getting in trouble again, remembering the painful punishment he had faced when he was caught trying to escape. “I am sorry, sir,” he apologized pathetically. “I had no meaning to misbehave, sir. Forgive me, sir. Please, sir.”

Stinking Rich laughed at the pathetic apology. “Well, that’s alright,” Stinking Rich cooed as he grabbed Bladire’s chain in his mouth to drag him along the floor. “Ya’ll can just clean up this here mess too!”

Smithy smacked Stinking Rich across the flank in Bladire’s defense. “Stop it!” she squeaked out. “It weren’t his fault! I came in here to talk to him! If anypony should be in trouble, it’s me! Now quit pickin' on him!”

Bladire had never seen somepony stand up for him before since the beginning of his slavery. While he was grateful for the defense, he winced as he watched Stinking Rich shove his new friend aside so roughly. What was worse is that he knew there was nothing he could do as Stinking Rich began to insult her.

Stinking Rich stood tall beside a meek Smithy, glad to have the upper hoof for the first time that night. “I could gettcha in so much trouble right now,” he chortled. “And I could get this lil’ ziggler wrecked up real good! Why they’d beat him up black and blue if they knew what y’all were doing in here.”

Smithy began to cry at the thought of Bladire being hurt again at her expense. “No!” she begged. “Why would they do such a thing? He didn’t do nothin’ wrong!”

Stinking Rich laughed at the display. “Yer so ignorant,” he said, rolling his eyes. “He’s a migrant worker, dummy! Zebras ain’t even ponies anyway. They’re right up there with cows and chickens. All they’re good fer is menial tasks. And when they don’t do what ya want, ya whoop ‘em like ya would a stubborn pig!” He laughed as he kicked Bladire in the backside with his hoof.

Smithy wrapped her front legs around Stinking Rich’s leg to stop the assault. “Please don’t do that! It ain’t his fault, honest!” she continued to cry, thinking about how much worse it could get. “Don’t let them guards hurt him! Please! I’ll do anythin’ if ya don’t tell on us! Anythin'!”

Stinking Rich liked this sudden idea for blackmail. “Anythin’?” he asked, his tone appropriately vile. “Well, I’m sure I can come up with somethin’ at some point, if yer willin’ to keep yer end of the bargain and not snivel off like yer father.”

Smithy hated the sound in Stinking Rich’s voice or the analogy he made about her father, but knew that if she didn’t agree to it that something terrible was bound to happen to Bladire. “Deal,” she said weakly as she shook hoofs with the bully, not realizing the emotional debts she had gotten herself into.

Smithy walked side by side with Stinking Rich as they walked back to the dining hall together, feeling bad that she hadn't gotten a chance to say "goodbye" or "I'm sorry" to her new friend, Bladire. She could only imagine what kind of torment was waiting for him with her not there. While she was glad it wouldn't be coming from Stinking Rich, she still had a sinking feeling that he wasn't going to get off scott free.

The two little ponies were greeted by the regal Celestia when they reentered. She smiled down upon them as they bowed down to her. "Ah, my faithful subjects," she addressed the two in a sweet tone. "Returning from a friendly walk, I see. It is a lovely night for it. The stars are spectacular tonight."

Stinking Rich was eager to steer the conversation in his favor. "Sure is, yer majesty!" he exclaimed, wrapping his leg around Smithy's shoulder so tightly that she began to squirm. "Me and Smithy here are real good friends now, and we had us a right good talk 'bout everythin' we've been through the past couple years. Didn't we, Smithy?"

Smithy had to hold back what she was thinking. She wanted to stop the party and start talking about Bladire, and tell everypony all of the terrible things he had told her that night. She wanted to show the lovely princess before her how the guards had chained Bladire up in the kitchen. She could have screamed it from the rooftops at this point, but one steely look from Stinking Rich put a stop to it. They had made a deal, and if she would have done what her heart was telling her to do, Bladire would have to face the consequences of her actions yet again like he had after that night in the alley.

Putting on a sweet smile, Smithy forced herself to hug Stinking Rich back. "Eeyup!" she lied, feeling the grilled zucchini she had eaten rising in her throat due to how sick she was making herself. "We're pals alright! Right as rainbows!"

Celestia was pleased with the answer, and showed it by patting both children on the heads. "It is so good to see that this family feuding is truly at an end," she declared. "Even the children are getting along wonderfully. This couldn't have ended better!"

Smithy took a deep breath to calm her nerves and stomach. While she knew for Bladire's sake that she had to hold her tongue, she couldn't hold her thoughts from wondering if this was just the beginning of something worse between the families.

PreviousChapters Next