• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 1,136 Views, 33 Comments

Starry Night - RagingCacti



A human arrives in a prejudiced Equestria, and finds solace in the strange new night sky.

  • ...
7
 33
 1,136

A Walk Through the Gardens

Starry Night Chapter 3: A Walk Through the Gardens

Luna
After cleaning up the mess that the crea… Kyle, made upon arrival to the castle, we made a brisk exit in the direction of his new chambers. Now walking next to him, he seems so much larger than when I visited in him in disguise so few days ago. Shrunken, I made him to be tall, but thought with my taller stature he would seem less daunting. This is not the case. Taller even than my sister, whom left to attend the last moments of the Celestial Court, he is indeed an intimidating creature. This may be a cause to the unfair treatment he received in Ponyville. I would have to look into the effects of terror on the average pony’s ability to accept a sentient creature. But I digress.

“You chambers are here,” I declared whilst pointing to my left. Kyle flinched at the word ‘chamber,’ maybe I was slightly too loud. “You have all of the necessities you shall need for the time being inside.” He trudges up to the door, wrapping his had around the knob and opened the door before pausing.

“Thank you… for Orion.” He mumbles, “That was very kind of you.” He did not allow a response before he slipped into the room, and closed the door behind himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been three days, and nopony but I has laid eyes on the creature. I would stop by twice or thrice daily to deliver some food. Much of the time, the human was brooding in the darkness, a stark contrast to the jaunty music that was coming from the record player. Kyle arrived in our world with nothing more than a saddlebag and its contents. Among them was a single record that he has been playing constantly. I have been meaning to ask about it, but every time I visited little to no words were spoken. We would sit in an uncomfortable silence, the sweet smelling herb that he smokes hanging heavily in the dark room.

“Princess,” said the Pegasus Royal Guard, “The Creature is out of its room, in the gardens ma’am.”

“Thank you for informing me, you may return to your post” A short exchange, to be sure, but I cannot think of a way to continue. -sigh- While my speech is improving, social pleasantries are still beyond me. The night is cool and clear, a perfect night for stargazing. In the darkness of the gardens, a small ember glow is slowly making its way. I descend from my balcony, feeling the cool breeze ruffle my fur as I glide. I alight beside him, and he turns enough to see who I am, never breaking stride. I walk beside him, again in an uncomfortable silence.

“I try to feel something, all the time.” He said, breaking the silence; his voice monotone and listless. “I used to feel anger. I used to feel sadness. I would rage over how hopeless everything is, and feel useless at the same time. I felt so much that I tried to end it all. But now, I just feel… Nothing... I’m totally alone in a strange world, and I feel nothing.” He turned to me, eyes bloodshot and bagged, “Shouldn’t I feel something?” All was silent once again.

“Banished to the moon for a millennium for my transgressions, I felt anger and sadness as well. I have never felt empty. I will not give thee pretty words; I have no advice in which to give you.” This earns a wry smile from him as he exhales a cloud.

“People usually lie and say everything will be ok, and that life will go on, and all of that bullshit. Thanks for being straight with me.”

“One would not expect gratitude for a lack of help.” A snort,

“One would not expect themselves to be forcibly dragged into some alternate reality on the average Tuesday.” I chuckled at the dark humor.

“I suppose not.” The atmosphere of this new silence was much less oppressive. We made three circumferences of the garden before either I spoke again, the small ember of his herb long gone. “Your record… what kind of music is it? It is a medley of many different sounds.”

“Well, I wonder why, it does seem to be music… I’m sorry, that was unfair of me. It is a collection of different artists. More than one record, actually, two in all. It’s a vinyl of a concert called The Last Waltz. Gah, there has to be some kind of symbolism relating to my situation that can be taken from that… Without going into detail, it’s the last performance of a band; The Band, actually. They decided to invite a bunch of the artists that had worked with over the years for one last go… there definitely has to be some kind of relation to… Oh well.” He groped around in his pocket, pulling out a slightly crushed little tube of the herb, and lit it with a match. “I’ve just now realized how insane that must sound to you.”

“Not at all, it is much like a going away celebration. We have many of those in these lands.”

“No, no, no. I mean the music itself. It’s the first truly alien music to you guys. The first music from a totally distant culture. You could write a thesis on that shit.” Taken aback, I quickly responded,

“Oh, no, it is quite entertaining! Do not feel that I take your preference of music as unpleasant!” He is perturbed for a second before letting out a small chuckle.

“’Shit’ is a… what’s the word… replacement, I guess? For just about any noun… I guess crossing cultures from different realities is a bit different than just across one world.”

“Oh… I see… And yes, I suppose it is.” More silence.

“It’s getting late, and I’m getting pretty damn tired. Thanks for sticking around with this asshole.” I ignore what must be another strange use of words from his world, and we make our way back to the exit of the gardens.

“Of course. I will be by to deliver another meal tomorrow morning. Would you mind if we conversed more about this Last Waltz?” He seemed surprised for a moment before responding.

“Sure, why not?”

Author's Note:

No excuses, but I’m thinking many of you who are following this were definitely not expecting to ever hear from this ever again, amirite?

Comments ( 5 )

I'm glad for the update, but I was really hoping to see Twilight get ripped a new one.

3853389

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I do hope you will continue this, I've got a soft spot for stories of this nature.
I really like it.

Login or register to comment