• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 5,742 Views, 241 Comments

Love, marriage, and Scootaloo - Alchemystudent



Scootaloo needs a mother and wants to make Rainbow Dash happy; and she is willing to do everything to make both happen.

  • ...
18
 241
 5,742

I want to know what love is

Chapter 2: What is love?

The three crusaders ran from their clubhouse and into the middle of Ponyville where they stood to look around while they planned, while a nice rockbeat played from a stereo behind them, “Ok girls, lets split up. Sweetie Belle, you go and talk to Rarity,” Scoot said, looking at her two friends, “Applebloom, you go and talk to your sister. I’ll go and talk to Pinkie Pie.”

Sweetie Belle arched an eyebrow, “So why aren't we just asking Rainbow Dash first?”

“Because, theres no way she’ll say what she is looking for in a marefriend, “Scootaloo said with a sigh, “She’ll just say that she’s too cool to be looking for a special somepony and just fly off. This is something we’ll have to talk to the others about.”

“Well, why not start with Fluttershy,” Apple Bloom asked.

Scootaloo looked at Applebloom with a disbelieving look, “Really?”

“Oh, my. R...romance, well I uh...gotta go!”

“Yeah, bad idea,” Applebloom said, looking down.

“Then it's settled, we’ll talk to the girls and then meet back up at the library to get some books,” Scootaloo said taking a step forward.

In response the girls nodded in agreement and ran off towards their proper destinations.

-----------------

Inside the Carousel Boutique, a lovely white unicorn with a purple mane was working feverishly on a foal-sized dress. Lighting up her horn with a purple magic aura, she began to work hard on this latest dress. Her focus on each little piece and stitch was intense, looking like an artist working on a painting that he would consider his masterpiece. So focused was she on her work, that she almost did not hear the bell on her doorway ring as a small filly came in, “Hey Rarity!”

Rarity’s eyes shot up in surprise as she quickly grabbed the mannequin with her magic and hid it behind a curtain, “Oh, Sweetie Belle, what an unexpected surprise! What brings you here?”

“What are you working on,” Sweetie Belle asked, her curiosity overwhelming her sense of purpose and the reason for why she was there.

“Oh, just a surprise for a client. He wants me to keep the dress a secret from his wife and told me not to show anypony else,” Rarity said, putting on her best liar face.

Sweetie Belle calmly nodded as she let out a small, “Ok,” and walked around Rarity a little a she quickly remembered why she came, “Oh, I just remembered why I came here today. I was wondering what you know about what makes a good special somepony?”

The look in Rarity’s eyes as she turned around, made Sweetie almost regret asking, “OH! My dear little sister is asking for relationship advice,” the purple mane unicorn ran and picked up her little sister in a big hug, tears in her eyes, “You’re growing up too fast, Sweetie. First your cutie mark comes in and now, a special somepony. W...where does the time go,” she said as she let go of her little sister and wiped a tear from her eye, “So, who is it? Anypony I know? It is not a hooligan is it? I will have no sister of MINE go out with any hooligans!”

“No, no, no! Its not for me, its for a friend,” Sweetie Belle said, holding her hooves up in defense.

“Oh, I see...a ‘friend’,” Rarity said with a wink as she walked to the side of her house and began to look for something else to work on, “ So, tell me, what does this ‘friend’ need help with?”

“Well you see,” Sweetie Belle said as she watched her sister pull another mannequin out of the back closet and put it on the stage, “she needs to know what to look for in a good romantic partner. What should she be wanting in a close friend? I knew you thought that maybe Blueblood had something special-”

“Ah yes, my so called ‘PRINCE’,” Rarity said with a slight growl as she began to fix up the guard outfit in front of her.

“So, maybe you might be able to say what you really wanted in a special somepony,” Sweetie Belle asked, watching her sister look over her new creation.

“Hmmm, what makes a good special somepony,” Rarity asked herself as she looked over the design of the uniform until her eyes laid upon the prop sword that the guard asked to be put on his dress uniform, “AHA! I know. A good partner should be...like a sheath for a sword.”

“A sheath,” Sweetie Belle asked, eyebrow raised in confusion.

“Yes,” taking the sword and sheath out of the holster with her magic, Rarity walked over to Sweetie Belle and held the blade in front of her sister, “Tell me, what does a sheath do for a sword.”

Sweetie Bell held the sheath in her hoof and looked at it closely, remembering all of the tales of brave knights that her sister would tell her during her bedtime, “ It keeps the sword from getting dirty?”

“It does more than that, Sweetie,” Rarity said chuckling, “It protects the sword from getting damaged, from being ruined, or hurting the user,” she then used her magic to unsheathe the blade with a musical sink, “ At the same time, it helps the sword by making it a little faster to draw. Tell me, do you know why Cadence and Shining work so well together?”

“Becaussssseeee they are both really good looking?”

Rarity chuckled,” More than that. Shining helps to protect Cadence with his magic and helps to keep her from getting hurt.”

“But then Cadence always needs to go and save him from danger when he tries to protect her,” Sweetie Belle argued.

“Ah, but that’s the point. By the time anypony gets to the princess,” Rarity said as she brought out the sword out of its sheath, “ she is poised for an attack and well prepared for anything that other may throw at him. At the same time, Cadence helps Shining from doing something REALLY stupid and,” smiling she puts the sword back into its sheath, “Helps to keep him safe as well. They work together and protect one another.”

“I think I get it,” Sweetie Belle said, leaping up, “So, for Rainbow Dash would need somepony she could protect and guard.”

“Yes, for Rainbow Dash that would be true,” Said Rarity as she put the sheathed blade back into its holster on the side of the dummy, “Having somepony to protect might also help to reel in her more suicidal maneuvers, which I might add have lessened since she adopted Scootaloo. It seems being a family mare has helped her more than she thought.”

“That’s brilliant! Thanks Rarity,” Sweetie Belle said as she ran out the door.

“You’re welcome...darling,” Rarity said to the little smoke cloud. Shrugging, Rarity pulled out the filly sized dummy and began to work, “OH, Sweetie you are going to look devine for your party.”


---------

Deep in the north orchard of Sweet Apple Acres, screams and pleas of help could be heard coming from a small yellow filly with a red bow, “HELP, Applejack! Hes attacking me,” the little filly screamed as her pursuer came closer to her, ready to get his prey.

“Attackin, really,” Applejack asked as she watched a little colt with a blonde mane and magenta coat caught up and began to crawl onto his aunt’s back, “Ya telling me, that the big strong crusader can’t handle a little colt smaller than she is. Why Ah am shocked,” the orange mare laughed as she began to work on bucking a tree.

“Well, its not like I can tackle him or anythang. He’s too little,” Apple Bloom said as she felt a pair gums on her neck, before she turned and grabbed him with her forehooves and sat him in front of her, “Hey, AJ...what type gal do ya think Rainbow would be interested in.”

“Why ya ask,” Applejack asked with a grunt as she kicked another tree full of apples, “Planning on matching me and her up like ya did Cheerilee and Big Mac?”

Looking down at the small colt in her hooves, she nuzzled him before tickling him a little, “Ya, Ah am responsible for ya being here so you better be grateful. Noooooo, just askin.”

Applejack thought for a bit as she wiped the sweat from her brow, “Well, personally...Ah would think somepony who’s her opposite would be perfect.”

“Why,” Applebloom asked as she watched Apple Butter crawl around her.

“Well...because her opposite would let her see things that she wouldnt normally do. Kind of help to let her explore,” Applejack said as she picked up the cart reigns and pull it, “Ya know how Cheerilee and Big Mac are kind of different from each other,” she looked over her shoulder to see Applebloom nod as she walked with her nephew, “And a lot of times they’ll get into big fights but will always come back to make up. Thats the kind of relationship Rainbow needs, somepony who wouldnt always want to do the same thing, but try and help her get out there more. They could still share everythang but they would have different likes to make their relationship interesting.”

“Oh, Ah see,” Applebloom said as she looked to see Cheerilee come up the hill.

“Oh, there’s my little boy. Did you have a good time with your aunts,” The purple mare said as she went to give her son a nuzzle.

“Yeah he did, Mrs...oh Ah mean Cheerilee,” she said nuzzling her teacher before running off into the distance.

-----------

As Scootaloo entered the sugar cube corner, she heard the small pleas of an innocent pink pony, “No, please I didn’t.” Gasping in horror, the little orange filly ran to where she could hear the pleas and saw a pink mare getting cornered by two 3 year-old equines, covered in flour.

“Cookies sissy,” said the small pegasus as he came closer.

“We know,” said the small unicorn.

“Problems, Pinkie,” Scootaloo asked with a small chuckle, running a hoof through her purple mane.

“Yes! They know about the cookies I had earlier and want to make me pay. HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP,” Said Pinkie as she looked up to the pegasus.

“Hey, guys I need to talk to your sister for a bit, ok,” Scootaloo asked nicely.

The two young children nodded in agreement as they trotted off to see their mom and dad, while Pinkie stood calmly up, “So, what do you need,” the pink mare said, her mane bouncing as she walked to the counter.

“I was wondering...what do you know about a good relationship,” Scootaloo asked.

“Ohhhhh, like the Cakes,” Pinkie said excitedly, “Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, lets see. A good relationship,” Pinkie Pie looked at the counter and saw some muffins, “A good relationship should be like a muffin. Look at the Cakes, without each other they are like a bland normal muffin,” Pinkie said as she brought out a small bland muffin, “ but when they are together, they both make each other extra special and bring something out of the other. Like this Blueberry muffin,” Pinkie said, pulling out a blueberry muffin, “ see? The blueberries make the muffin taste even better than ever. While the muffin make the blueberries taste all the sweeter.”

Scootaloo looked down at the blueberry muffin and then back to Pinkie, almost questioning her wisdom. It wasn’t until she looked back at the cakes that she understood, “Oh, I get it! They each bring out something special in the other, like chocolate milk!”

“Exactly, they both help to bring out something extra special out each other!”

With eyes of excitement, the little filly nodded and ran out the door, “Thanks Pinkie.”

“You’re welcome,” Pinkie said in a sing-song way before turning around, “now where are those twins,” at that point, she was then tackled by two little ghosts.

-----------

Once the two crusaders and the one former crusader met up at the library, they quickly began to compare the notes that the other two had gathered from their meetings. Once done, they then turned and moved into the large tree that held the Golden Oaks library. Inside, they began to look through shelf after shelf to find their chosen prey, “UGGGGH! Why can’t they have the genre listed on the side,” Scootaloo yelled.

“Spine,” Sweetie Belle interrupted as she looked at her book.

“Whatever. On these books instead of these stupid numbers.”

Applebloom began to look through some of her books, “And furthermore, what is up with all of these history books. No pony needs this many history books, it’s so pointless.”

At this, the room in which the three fillies sat suddenly went dark and a black smoke began to encircle it, “ Numbers, USELESS? POINTLESS HISTORY,” The black mist began to take form as two violet eyes appeared from the smoke, “YOU DARE TO INSULT THOSE PRECIOUS TOMES WITHIN MY PRESENCE? For this insolence, you WILL face the wrath,” the black smoke then formed into a purple alicorn, her wings spread and standing above the three terrified fillies, “Of NIGHTMARE ECLIPSE! The ruler of all books, and now the reading will last FOREVER,” The large purple alicorn laughed her head off as she threw back her purple mane, letting the full length of her horn be shown.

The three fillies held each other close, “I am so sorry miss Eclipse, I’ll never insult numbers again. Please don’t kill us,” Scootaloo screamed.

“Wow, that was better than I thought,” the purple alicorn said as she began to undo the transformation, leaving behind a smaller alicorn mare in its place, “I really scared you didn’t I?”

“Twilight, it was you,” Applebloom said as she let go of her friends.

“Well, I knew that,” Scootaloo said feigning bravery, “I just wanted to play along.”

This comment earned a roll of the eyes from Sweetie Belle, “So what was that you were doing?”

Twilight chuckled, “Oh, that was a spell Luna taught me for alicorns. She says its mean to inspire fear and to intimate the weak willed. She said that it was just in case I might need to scare somepony and avoid a fight.Judging from your looks...it worked,” Twilight said, not one for scares, but always glad to get a spell done perfectly, “So what books were you looking for?”

“Romance books and love stories,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Well, I don't have many books on romance, but,” Twilight looked to the shelves, using her magic to lift the books and hand them to the young fillies,” I do have some books with romance in them. Why?”

“Research for something,” Sweetie said as she took the books into her bag.

“What sort of something,” Twilight asked, a tinge of worry in her voice.

Scootaloo turned and open a door, “Its a secret.”

Twilight sighed, she knew it wasn't going to end well, “Ok, but you do know that a lot of those books just show an idealized romance, they don't always talk about what really goes on in a developing relationship.”

“Yeah, we’ll keep that in mind. We’ll be back Twilight,” Apple Bloom said as she followed her friends out the door.

The purple alicorn let out a deep sigh, she was now really sure that she just caused a disaster. Turning to the closet, she used her magic to open the door and let out Spike, “Its ok Spike, the scary part is over,” an evil smirk then came across her face, “Now, make a note for me to use that spell next time Pinkie and Dash go on a pranking spree.”

-------

After making their way into the clubhouse, the three fillies began to set up a chalkboard where they would write down their notes. After this, they also began to open up the books and started to research them intensively; although, for some of Rarity’s books, they put the ideas under the “wait until they are engaged before even thinking of these” category of ideas. Once the research was done, they began to write down their plan on the chalkboard, “Ok, so here’s the plan,” Applebloom said, holding a stick in her mouth and pointing to each note, “Phase 1: we need to find a mare for Dash that has these qualities. 1: Has to be like a sheath for her while she acts like a sheath for the girl.”

Outside, Scootaloo could hear Rainbow and Fluttershy talking to one another. With one ear still listening to the plan, the orange filly looked out her window, “I could’ve made that dive Flutters, you know that!”

“Well, I know you could,” the pink maned pegasus said as she walked with Dash, her hair over one eye as she began to hide, “It’s just that I was worried that you wouldnt and you would’ve gotten hurt and then Scoot wouldn’t have her big sister, anymore.”

A smile came over Dash’s face as she looked to the yellow Pegasus, “Yeah...I guess you’re right. I should plan my stunts a little more carefully from now on. Though, hitting that jagged rock and breaking it would’ve been AWESOME,” she then held up her cyan hooves in excitement, “But...thanks for making sure I didn't splatter my brains across the forest.”

“Oh, it was nothing,” Fluttershy said, smiling, “You’ve protected me more than I can remember. You’ve always have,” she then smiled softly.

“Number 2: Be the exact opposite of her while sharing some of her interest,” Applebloom said as she pointed to her next mark.

“Look, I know its loud, noisy, scary, awesome, and dark but I can tell you right now, you won't want to miss out on this trip. It’ll blow you away,” Rainbow Dash said as she flew up in the sky, excitedly.

“Well, ok...I guess. But I was thinking tomorrow maybe,” Fluttershy began to ask as she ran her hoof down her mane.

“Lastly, she should be able to bring something special out of Rainbow that helps to make her even better,” Apple Bloom said as she tapped the last note.

“Maybe we could go watch a migration together,” Fluttershy said, nervously.

“ANOTHER BUTTERFLY MIGRATION,” Dash let out an exasperated sigh, “Haven't they migrated enough?”

“Well, actually...its a bunch of eagles that I have been helping to fly again,” Fluttershy said, “But...if you don't want to go, I’ll understand,” Fluttershy said, her voice trembling with sadness.

At the mention of eagles and seeing the sad look in the blue eyes of her friend, Dash smiled a little, “Well, I guess seeing eagles fly would be cool to see, I guess. And maybe I could catch some rays while I watch “

Fluttershy’s eyes shot up in happiness, “Really, you’ll come with? Oh that is so great! While you’re there, I can also teach something about eagles.”

“Whoa! I didn't agree to anything about learning,” Dash said as she held up her hooves in defense.

“Well, we don't have to talk about anything...we could just watch together,” Fluttershy said.

“I could live with that,” Dash said.

“SCOOTALOO ARE YA LISTENING,” Applebloom yelled to the orange filly at the window.

“Yep,” Scootaloo said with a smile as she pointed her hoof out the window and to the two pegasi talking to one another, “And I think we found the one.”

“Fluttershy,” Sweetie Belle and Applebloom asked in unison.

“Yeah! Think about it, Rainbow acts like a sheath for her, they are exact opposites of the other, and Fluttershy brings out Rainbow’s soft side once in awhile. She has all the qualities that we are looking for,” Scootaloo said.

The two girls looked outside and nodded in agreement as they listened to the talk, “Brilliant,” Apple Bloom said as she ran to the chalkboard, “This brings us to phase 2: the dates that they should go on in order to become a perfect couple-

Date 1: Awkward dinner date, ending with them eating spaghetti and kissing each other.

Date 2: Saving her from some ruffians at a dance

Date 3: Rescue Romance

Date 4: meeting the Parents where they will stand fast to their love no matter what

Date 5: Jelous other mare date.

Date 6: Lie that will cause a temporary break up

Date 7: Heartfelt walk under the moon

And this will lead to Phase 3: engagement, which will be romantic. Phase 4: wedding preparation shenanigans, and then Phase 5: the wedding itself,”

“Which will NOT be interrupted by a bad guy attacking in the middle of it all and make the preacher wed them in the middle of it all,” Sweetie Belle said with a wink.

“and that will lead to a,” Applebloom then hit her marker onto the picture of a badly drawn and happy Scootaloo and Dash, “happy Scoot and Dash.”

“Right, we’ll enact this plan,” Scootaloo was about to finish when she heard the yell of her sister, “Tomorrow. See ya guys then,” she then turned and walked outside to where Fluttershy and Rainbow were waiting.

“Oh, Scootaloo, I hope you don't mind if I walk with you and Dash back home,” Fluttershy asked, looking at the little filly.

“No, I don't mind at all,” the little pegasus said as she began to walk with her sister. As they walked towards the cloud home, Scootaloo looked up at her adoptive sister and then back to Fluttershy, smiling softly. The wind slowly blew up around them as they walked, carrying a familiar warm gentle air about it.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to my proofreader RainbowDerpy.

Now the plan has been set, the curtain has been raised, and now we shall see what fools these ponies be.



Ps. The sheath metaphor comess from "trust and Betrayl"