• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 1,060 Views, 12 Comments

Equestria 2033 - Memory



The year is 2033. This is Equestria. A land of death and poison. The ponies have hidden themselves in the Metro for the past twenty years, but now a new threat has appeared that can damage their hopes of returning to the surface forever.

  • ...
2
 12
 1,060

Chapter One: Venice

"But my story truly started three months earlier, back in my home Metro station located in the northern Manehatten line - named Venice affectionately by its inhabitants. It was full of water and thus thrived on a large fishing industry, and the remains of the city above still held treasures waiting to be looted. I was one such looter. A Stalker. It was there, in that one station that held a gateway to the past, I made a decision that changed the Metro forever."
-Moondust's Diary, 21st September 2033

Sunlight.

I don't recall having ever seen it; the almost permanent cloud cover blanketed the frozen wasteland below, trapping us all with it. Pegasi no longer controlled the skies. Nuclear winter had taken hold of the world and did not seem to be letting go anytime soon.

It was grim, of course. Nopony could say otherwise. But it is not like many ponies were missing much; they were all safe underground, looking at grey walls similar to the grey skies, with grey floors and grey guns and grey stew. In fact, everything was grey, so I was cursed to crave colour - fillies seemed to be the last of our imagination, with their crude paintings of the stories the elders said around a fire; talk of beautiful skylines and beautiful ponies.

I loved their paintings. The colours they used made life seem more vivid.

Entranced, I stood there, looking at one such painting - it depicted a place named Ponyville, a former small town in central Equestria. There, the three pony races were said to live in absolute Harmony, personified by six such ponies who laughed and played in the wide open fields and small shops that littered the stone streets. It was beautiful, if not slightly messy. Green grass, blue sky, and six ponies and animals - thankfully, harmless and lovely creatures.

I loved it. But, being me, I had to find at least one problem! Another curse of mine, but it was something valued in the Metro; one problem could be the death of an entire populace.

Personally, I found it a pain in the flank.

"The ponies - they're grey," I muttered under my breath, finally allowing myself to inhale the musty and salty air of wonderful Venice. "Can there be one living moment in my life without any grey?"

"Lighten up, Moondust. I had Sea Swirl paint it just for you!"

"Wait, what? Sea Swirl was here?"

The stallion beside me simply nodded.

"Are you screwing with me again, 'Fire?" I asked, still in disbelief. Sea Swirl, the young filly who took all of Venice into her heart and Venice took her right back, had been here?

Usually I did not care for other ponies on a personal level, but Sea Swirl had the sort of innocence, courage and a hint of adventurousness that was needed in the Metro. Venice loved her for finding the missing water filter pieces - even if she was the one who took them away to "play with" in the first place.

The merchant I usually sold my loot to, Campfire, feigned shock.

We had a decent bartering relationship, and had even played blackjack a few times. It usually resulted in me winning back a book I had looted, or me giving him his EPPs back. It was all in good fun, and it was rare to see any kind of friendliness in the Equestrian Metro. Even if it wasn't really friendship.

"Why would I ever do such a thing!" his mouth dropped and he put on a rather silly sad face. "The only bad I ever do is charge too much and pay too little - but such is life, no?"

Laughing, he turned away from the dimly-lit painting and back towards the blue light. There, he sat at his merchant table and examined my findings once again. Books, clothes, toys, even a water filter - all items from our mass-producing past, waiting to be bought into our new world once again.

I bet if they had a voice, they'd scream and shout at us; and the only words would be " I'd rather stay up top to be honest."

Well, maybe with a few more swears if they're like the ponies in the Metro.

Grim and grey existence, terrible for even the inanimate.

Campfire decisively grabbed one book and examined it. 'The Survivor' was on the front cover, the faded Equestrian typeface merely days of exposure away from hiding its identity for good. The author - unknown. Just another in the countless wave of lost names, only their creations living on with us, down here where no one wanted to be - but such is life! No?

The more I said Campfire's phrases, the better I felt in the Metro.

"You know, Moondust, not many of these books were printed," he began, still marveling at the book in his hoof. "'The Survivor' - tells the tale of a young stallion in a post-parasprite world, living off whatever he could scavenge from the places they'd devoured through. Lonely, cold, grey. Sounds a lot like us, buck, I'm almost tearing up."

He was actually grinning.

"The author was somepony named A.K. Yearling, wrote the famous Daring Do series. Moved onto writing darker materials as the Great War reached its peak. Her last novel, 'Road for Two', was intended to be the sequel to 'The Survivor', but of course that never happened. She vanished midway through the war; some silly rumour she was actually Daring Do herself and some old accomplices came to settle a score! Ridiculous, but when you look at her coat and mane... it makes you wonder."

He put down the book and finally looked at me.

"So! All things considered, and like a good comrade - which I am, kiddo, don't ever doubt it - I'll give you twenty EPP's for the lot! Maybe even one extra if you beat me during poker night."

I rolled my eyes. His red coat gave him a menacing appearance, and for good reason - he scraped every last Experimental Penetrating Projectile he could. The rare, pre-war ammunition was scarce and served as money. And ponies thought these merchants weren't rich out of their minds.

"It's better than last week, Campfire. I'll take it."

"Haha, yes, good!" Campfire reached into his armoured cases slowly and pulled out the promised twenty EPP's, handing them to me. "Enjoy, comrade Stalker Moondust the First, ma'am! I'll see you at the Salty Sailor," I swear he winked. "Happy travels."

I left the silly old colt to his business.

Travelling through Venice Station was always tricky. Despite the lovely appearances and something-for-everybody style in its creation, it was right in the center of Bandit territory. Some even claimed it was a Bandit station in itself, especially because of the sheer number of ponies in the connecting Metro lines going "missing". Nopony was safe anywhere in the Metro. Even in the central stations we christened 'Polis'.

Ponies went about their business. Fishing, playing - it was all 'part of the plan' as our mayor, my adoptive father, would say. He never did explain the plan.

Still, Venice was my home. The furthest I ever went was to the surface, and even then it was into an enclosed building just off the Metro entrance. I never went into the tunnels, had never been on a railcar - all I knew of the outside world came from stories.

Distorted, terrifying stories. One said the Communist Movement was gearing up for war. Another said Exhibition Station had fallen. But the most terrifying of all was of the Darkest Ones. Creatures made to destroy us - having the ability to reduce a pony to nothing with just their hooves.

Of course, they were just stories. But like Campfire would say... it makes you wonder!

Thankfully enough, the merchant tables and the Salty Sailor were a few hoofsteps away, so I quickly and casually strolled in and sat in the usual spot. The familiar sign opposite me read:

The Salty Sailor Bar & Restaurant

One stop for all your needs!

We accept many payment methods!*

*On-the-spot payment only

I sighed and leaned back contently as the waiter approached me.

"Hello Madame! How may I help you today?" her accented voice hit me again, just like the first time.

If the death of civilization bought one good thing out of the ashes, it was multiculture! So many accents, ways of life, tastes, religions and ideology's - you could walk from one end of the platform to the other and have learned all about the Communist ideology and the Single Goddess religion.

It did have negatives, however. When it came to Manehatten's bars, ponies from countries other than Equestria would greet you. Because there was so few of them, they'd work cheap just to avoid being discriminated against. Tolerance does not exist in the Manehatten Metro.

"Just the usual, Miss DeLise," I replied casually, slightly smiling. "Strongest you have."

DeLise stared at me for a while, as if she was trying to decipher a message. Then, she gasped. It was loud enough to make everypony present stare in out direction. "I am so sorry, Miss Moondust! I did not recognize you!" DeLise trotted over to my side of the table and forcefully lifted me off my seat. I was too shocked to react with anything but obedience. "Mister Belle informed me you'd be arriving; he gave me explicit instructions to escort you to the back room upon your arrival."

I shrugged off her hoof. I was about to raise my voice, but then I saw DeLise's face; she was scared.

To add to my earlier analysis of foreigners, keeping jobs was hard. One slip up, and they'd be complained about. Bosses did not want disliked employees. So they would be given the sack. They'd have to move stations; word traveled quickly in our cluttered world. One slip up and even an entire Metro empire would outcast you.

Realizing this, I leaned over and whispered, "It's okay, he wont know."

Her eyes went wide. I was expecting a slap. All that greeted me was a beaming smile, showing well-kept teeth. I swear, her eyes had welled up with tears.

"Thank you..."

I saw myself out and into the backroom. The door was bullet-proof and required the turning of a large wheel to open. Many ponies questioned why the manager of this fine establishment would put himself through such hassle every single day. They were ill-informed, of course, of what happened behind that doorway - just a few hoofsteps away from where they took their fillies and colts to have a nice night out.

The door swung open with its characteristic screech once again. I stepped into the dimly lit porch area and knocked one, twice - three times on the simple lock-and-key doorway leading to Belle's office. Mister Belle had ground rules, and whilst usually I'd just waltz in, I honestly could not be bothered to make a scene that day! Could have been the storm up on the surface that made me less enthusiastic.

"Come in!" said the light, bouncy voice of old-stallion Iron Belle.

His appearance, voice and personality did not match his profession.

I walked in and was greeted by a... smell. It's not like hygiene nor cleanliness was revered in the Metro, but this was a new low. It was like a body had been rotting inside the small room.

And then I looked to the side. Followed the scent.

I would have screamed if it weren't for Mister Belle's hoof being pushed into my mouth.

"Shh shh shh, it's alright comrade Moondust. Our good... associate here is slightly decomposed. Might not be in a talkative mood, you see!"

Mister Belle's charm never wore away, regardless of any situation.

He stood tall and proud, his yellow coat and light blue mane giving a sense of... comfort, perhaps? The colour he had naturally always cheered me up, even if his words did not! I had a feeling this'd be another one of those times - so I decided to stare at his mane as we both sat down at his desk.

The chairs were those I had looted personally; up above was the remains of Manehatten dam, and its advanced technological capabilities left a lot of ponies with office jobs. The revolutionary yet simple 'office chair' provided comfort and flexibility to flank-bound ponies! It always felt strange, seeing my own findings again - this time, out of my possession but oh-so in reach. Made me want to turn to criminal activity.

Belle raised his hoof in my direction.

It confused me, to say the least.

"Take it," he rectified simply. It was then I stared closer to his additional explanation. "It's a key."

I summoned my magic to remove the small key from his grasp, and slid it into the back pocket of my surface suit. I had yet to take it off. Some would say I was forgetful, others would proclaim I was just comfortable in the protective gear I'd grown to almost live in. In reality, I was ashamed that I complained about a lack of colour - with my coat being as colourless as the Metro.

We stared at each other for a few moments. Seeing Belle would not speak any more, I decided to fish for answers.

Haha, fish. Puns.

"What's it for, Comrade Belle?"

He smiled. Belle always smiled. "Listen, Moondust - do you remember what it was like, up top? Before the final day?"

The million dollar question which I was always reluctant to answer.

"No," I hesitantly replied, looking off behind him. It was a sensitive subject for me, and I usually had a way to change the conversation. "All I remember is falling down the escalator and seeing the fire raining down through the glass pavilion."

Grunting, Mister Belle had got up and leaned in close to me. "Take the key to Polis. Tell them it is time to open up the Library. If I am not there when you arrive - make up some fancy story about my last moments," then, as an afterthought, he added, "Ever heard of the Dark Tunnelers?"

The name rung a bell, but didn't have a clear meaning to me. "I... think so?"

He chuckled, stood up once more and walked. "The second Judgement Day is coming. I already have an escort caravan willing to provide a cover story to get you further down the Northern Republic Line. From there, though, it's all up to you."

I wanted to say no, to simply say this was too far, even for Mister Belle. Outside of my little looting world in the dam and the station of Venice, I was terrified. No survival skills, hardly any money. No weapons. Nothing. But... Belle had something about him. His words echoed in my mind. It tormented me. Struck home in ways I could not imagine were possible.

The second Judgement Day is coming.

I didn't want our new world, as grey as it was, to suffer the same fate as civilizations gone by. Even if a few flames would make things more interesting.

A mare can dream!

"Okay, Belle - what do I get in return?" Business was business. I did not work for free, nopony did - payment was a requirement, and fair payment was a plus. A plus I did not usually get.

Again with the raised hoofs. "Adventure, some EPPs, weapons - and something more personal."

Mister Belle smiled and briskly walked out of the door. "Don't bother locking up. Goodbye, Comrade Moondust."

"Before you go, sir," I quickly asked the retreating stallion. "Is your associate involved?"

He winked. "You'll see."

I decided not to stick around the rotting body and left the Salty Sailor. Something big was coming.

I knew I would have to purchase some equipment. A small piece of parchment provided me with a means to make a list; guns, ammo, filters, food. A little too much? Maybe. Better safe than sorry, however, and besides - Belle was counting on me. Venice was counting on me. The entire Metro was counting on me.

Although... I wasn't quite sure why.

Back in the main hallways of Venice, ponies went about their business. A sea of colour against a sea of grey. At least the actual water wasn't grey - it was a polluted green instead. But the Aqua's - our affectionate name for whatever mutated animal we hunted - loved it. Some fishermen did it for business, other for survival of their family. One such survivor caught my interest.

Underneath the Salty Sailor was a dark alleyway, where the water filter for the entire station was. A mare and her child, presumably only old enough to start thinking about getting a cutie mark, sat on the edge. Rods in hoof, determination on their faces. Nothing out of the ordinary - not really. Just a mother and her child, fending for themselves in a world without forgiveness. But their words, their voices...

I leaned against the wall, just out of the illumination of the gas lamp they were using.

"Do you think they'll bite, mama?" asked the filly, her voice high and innocent.

"Not yet, darling. But your father always said patience is a virtue!" came the reply, as the mother wrapped the filly in a hug. "I promise we'll eat well tonight."

"Do you think father will ever come home? You said he was going to beat the big bad mutant and come home with a medal for me," so innocent, so naive - yet so heartwarming. Bittersweet.

I could feel the rise in tension though. Through almost gritted teeth, the mare replied, "Yes, soon. His best friend said they had run into a little trouble. But fear not! Your father is the strongest around. He and he alone beat the rats at Exhibition! Saved the whole Metro from losing tea."

"You do like tea."

I left the two coloured ponies to their troubles. I didn't bother to tell them there were nets preventing Aqua's from reaching the water filter.

Equestria 2033 - Chapter One: Venice