• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 3,622 Views, 178 Comments

My Little Investigations: Wonderbolts Under Fire - Metool Bard



Someone wants me and my team dead. At least, that's what this weirdo in a costume tells me.

  • ...
3
 178
 3,622

Test of Trust

January 15, 15:04
Wonderbolt Academy
Spitfire's Office
***

"I thought I told you not to get distracted from what's important."

I just can't get a break, can I? I mean, after the whole fiasco at the festival, the last thing I wanted to see was Mare-Do-Well in my office. And yet, there she was, looking like she was about to lecture me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If she's stalking me, she would've figured out that I was trying to unmask her sooner or later.

"Look, maybe I wouldn't have to investigate you if you were a bit more open with me," I said wearily.

"I see no reason to do so," said Mare-Do-Well with a shrug.

I gave Mare-Do-Well a deadpan glare. "Oh, really? Well then, I see no reason to trust you."

"Does me saving the lives of you and your team not count?" asked Mare-Do-Well.

Okay, she kinda had a point there. But I wasn't going to back down.

"That doesn't change the fact that you're hiding something from me," I said sternly. "And I'm not just talking about your identity."

Mare-Do-Well leaned forward and pressed her hooves together. "Very well, Ms. Spitfire. Enlighten me. What am I hiding?"

"How do you know someone is trying to kill my team?"

Mare-Do-Well paused. The room suddenly felt a lot colder.

"If I told you that, you wouldn't trust me," said she. Her voice seemed to convey a mixture of melancholy and menace that sent chills up my spine. I took a moment to regain my composure.

"So it's one of those 'damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't' situations, huh?" I said. "Because right now, you've given me very little reason to trust you."

"Besides the fact that I'm protecting the Wonderbolts."

"I said very little, didn't I?" I countered.

Mare-Do-Well lowered her hat over her eyes. "Well played, Ms. Spitfire," she said. "Alright, if you're looking for a reason to trust me, I'll give it to you."

She reached into her cape and pulled out two vials. One was a simple flask containing a white powder. The other was an ornate oval-shaped container housing a clear liquid.

"And what are those?" I asked.

"Your next clues," said Mare-Do-Well, gesturing to the powder. "This is the poison used on the tart. Crushed toxic truffles. It has the same taste of chocolate, but it is deadly to consume."

"Never heard of it," I said. "Is it some kind of rare plant from the Everfree Forest or something?"

"Emphasis on 'rare,'" said Mare-Do-Well. "It's almost impossible to find toxic truffles in Equestria."

"And that helps me, how exactly?"

"If you stumble across toxic truffles, you'll be one step closer to the truth."

She said that as if it was as easy as falling off a cloud. Frankly, I think I'd have a better chance pulling a sky chariot with a broken wing.

"Alright, so what's in the other vial?" I asked, pointing to the liquid.

"The antidote," said Mare-Do-Well. "I took the liberty of placing a few drops on all of the tarts while Pinkie Pie and Surprise were distracted."

I raised an eyebrow. "And how did you get your hooves on that, pray tell? Furthermore, how did you know one of the tarts would be poisoned?"

"I am a mare of many talents, Ms. Spitfire," said Mare-Do-Well with a shrug. "I thought you'd be at least partially aware of that by now."

I snorted. "Does one of those talents happen to be psychic powers?" I asked sardonically. "Because that's the only reason I can come up with as to why you know so much more than I do about this whole mess."

Mare-Do-Well sighed. "You're overestimating me, Ms. Spitfire," she said. "I know as much about our quarry as you do, perhaps less."

"Sorry, I'm not buying that," I said, standing my ground. "You clearly knew about this bastard's existence long before I did. There's something you're not telling me."

"That is why I'm giving you this," said Mare-Do-Well, pointing to the antidote. "You won't trust me if I just tell you. So instead, I intend to show you."

If that was supposed to make sense, it went way over my head. "Why can't you just show me without making me jump through all these hoops?"

"That's, part of what I intend to show you," said Mare-Do-Well, lowering her hat over her eyes. "I'm, well aware that it's a paradox."

Well, I couldn't really disagree with that. It didn't make anything clearer, but hey, at least Mare-Do-Well knew what she was telling me was overly-cryptic tripe. Almost made me wonder why she bothered.

"At the very least, tell me what you do know about this prick," I said. "You're supposed to be helping me, right? So, let's compare notes."

Mare-Do-Well placed her hoof to her chin for a moment. "I, suppose that's fair," she said. "Alright, here's what I've been able to deduce. First, our quarry is not a pony. Second, our quarry has access to many tools, some of which I'm not even familiar with."

"Like the exploding cloud," I said.

"Precisely," said Mare-Do-Well. "Third, our quarry's target is the Wonderbolts and the Wonderbolts alone. The rest is everything you've managed to piece together."

Wow. Mare-Do-Well was right; she really didn't know all that much. Maybe I am the one who has to solve this mystery, after all. But, what exactly did I have that Mare-Do-Well didn't?

My pondering was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Crescent Moon, Captain," said a familiar voice. "You said you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, sure," I said. "Just a sec, let me..."

When I turned back, Mare-Do-Well was gone, and the window was open. You know, I'm getting kinda sick of that. I mean, I've come to expect it from that weirdo by now, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

"Never mind," I said with an exasperated sigh. "Come in."

Crescent made his way into the office as I got behind my desk.

"So, what did you want to see me about, Captain?" he asked.

"Crescent, I want you to take a letter," I said. "Inform Ambassador Honor Bound about potential insubordination within the Proud Pride."

Crescent blinked. "I'm, sorry Captain?"

"Today at the festival, it became apparent to me that Pierre le Grand has a bit of an attitude problem," I explained. "According to his own brother, he only cares about winning the Ghastly Gorge Gauntlet and little else. I don't want any shenanigans in this race, and I'm sure Honor Bound doesn't either."

"Um, I see," said Crescent, making a few notes on his clipboard. "Uh, permission to speak freely, Captain?"

"Granted."

"Do yo really think this is wise? I mean, the Proud Pride should be sorting this out themselves, shouldn't they?"

I got up from my desk and looked out the window. "The credentials of a good captain shouldn't differ from species to species, Crescent. I'm giving my advice as a gesture of goodwill to the griffons. Ambassador Honor Bound has no reason to interpret it otherwise."

"I, guess that's true," said Crescent with a shrug. "I take it you'll be dictating?"

"Indeed," I said, clearing my throat. "Feel free to chime in, though. This letter is about Captain le Grand and him alone. I don't want to paint a political bull's eye on my back."

"Of course, Captain," said Crescent. "Whenever you're ready."

As I dictated my letter, I couldn't help but wonder what would come of it. In all honesty, Crescent's point wasn't without merit. Whatever discipline issues the Proud Pride had wasn't really my business. However, this was more than just our relations being at risk. I still remember what Honor Bound told me about the problems in the Griffon Kingdom, whatever they may be. If the Proud Pride are related to that (which I'm pretty sure they are), Pierre is a crappy choice of captain. In the interest of our griffon neighbors, I had to give Honor Bound a little wake-up call. And who knows? Maybe it would lead to some more information about the Proud Pride and what exactly was going on.

Yeah, I know that's a bit of a stretch. But at this point, I'll take anything I can get.